Just got back from Washington, DC

SueM in MN

combining the teacups with a roller coaster
Wanted to explain where I was the past week - I was in Washington, DC for a conference. Got there on Sunday about noon and got home this afternoon.

I didn’t have time for much sightseeing, but did go on one evening bus tour to see the monuments, White House and Capitol. The tour bus I was on was not wheelchair accessible. I noticed some of the companies that do bus tours advise that they are not wheelchair accessible. Other tours indicated there are wheelchair accessible tours, but they must be booked 48 hours in advance.
The tour I was on made stops at the various monuments for participants to get out and walk around the monument. We had a little time at each monument - not enough time to look if any of the ones with lots of stairs have any accessible entrances. I wanted to go to the monuments again during the day time, but just ran out of time.

I was with 2 new friends (met at the convention and immediately bonded:goodvibes). We did go to the Senate and House office buildings, into one building and went between some of the buildings by the tunnel system. I was pleasantly surprised to find that wheelchair accessible entrances were well marked, both inside the government buildings and in the ‘you are here’ signs at each corner in front of major government buildings.

We also visited the Capitol Visitor Center, which was very nice, although we had only about 45 minutes to see it (not enough).

Sounds cool, hope you had a wonderful time even though it was rushed.
Thanks, it was a great time.
The rush made me need to go back again some time in the future.;)

I am actually headed to DC tomorrow with my brother who uses a wheelchair. DC is our 2nd favorite place to visit (1st is Disneyland!) because we can get all over the city using the Metro. Every once in a while we run into elevator outages, but around the major downtown stuff the stations are close enough we can get off at another Metro station and just walk/roll a few extra blocks.

This trip I am going to take him back up to the top of the Washington Monument. We took him when he was little, but he has forgotten. They have this cool periscope for wheelchair users to be able to see out the windows that you normally have to go up a few steps or be tall to see out of.

He was also the first wheelchair to tour the Lincoln Cottage when it first opened to the public a few years ago. That did not end up being quite so accessible, as my dad and I lifted the wheelchair up a flight of stairs to get to the top floor. However, I think it was only because the lift did not work and they had not thought to even check it before the first public tours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter