Just got back from SSR......

canda

a Dis board vulture
I just returned from my trip to SSR. I go to WDW the week after thanksgiving about every 2 years. this was my 4th time staying at SSR. I own at HHI, so SSR is usually the only resort I can get that week. I really fell in love with this resort this week. We stayed in a 2bd. in the grandstand, right next to the pool and the bus stop. I like this location better than congress park, its so close to the main building. I thought Artist Pallett was very good, except for the garlic gravy for the biscuit in the morning. But the turf club was the best table rest. we ate all week. that grilled ceaser salad is so unique and awesome. The resort was very busy and people stay at the resort all day too. the pools were pretty full. THe parks were crowed like it was June. A true 45 min wait for fantasy land rides at 7pm. WOW. I am so used to that week being a slow week. In the past everything would be a walk on except for a big new E ticket ride. But using fastpass is a day saver.

SUPER DUPER TIP........Always get your park tickets seperate from your room key........your room key will work in the Fastpass machine too. so by having one park ticket and one room key for each person, you can get 2 fastpass at the same time.........example....I used room key at BTMR and then walked over and used Park ticket at Splash. Its not cheating, I asked, I was told that is the extra perk for staying on property but most people dont use it cause they put their ticket on their room key.

SUPER DUPER TIP........Always get your park tickets seperate from your room key........your room key will work in the Fastpass machine too. so by having one park ticket and one room key for each person, you can get 2 fastpass at the same time.........example....I used room key at BTMR and then walked over and used Park ticket at Splash. Its not cheating, I asked, I was told that is the extra perk for staying on property but most people dont use it cause they put their ticket on their room key.

Wow Kewl tip! Thanks. We'll try that in 2 weeks!

Thanks for the tip. I wonder how many people actually know about this advantage. I have never heard of it before.

THe parks were crowed like it was June. A true 45 min wait for fantasy land rides at 7pm. WOW. I am so used to that week being a slow week. In the past everything would be a walk on except for a big new E ticket ride. But using fastpass is a day saver.

I was there all week too. I found the crowds to be great. We must have been at different parks. I used Tour Guide Mike as a friend recommended his plan for what park to go to on what day and I'm very happy with the results. We walked on to many rides, had minimal waits for quite a few rides and used fast pass for a few big rides but most days didn't even have to use fast pass. The only park we went to at rope drop was DHS as we were worried about getting on to Toy Story Mania. We got a fast pass, then got in line and were able to ride it twice that day. Our first wait was about 30 minutes and the second with the fast pass was a lot less. Then we did the same thing over at Tower or Terror, got the fast pass but then just got in line as the wait was not long. We did every park and found the waits to be the same just about every time. The only time we actually had to use fast pass to not have a 45 min wait was at AK for the safari and Expedition Everest.

I LOVED SSR. I'm glad it's our home resort :)

Thanks- that IS an excellent tip!:thumbsup2 And I love that caeser salad, too. I think SSR has 2 really excellent restaurants.

I just returned from my trip to SSR. I go to WDW the week after thanksgiving about every 2 years. this was my 4th time staying at SSR. I own at HHI, so SSR is usually the only resort I can get that week. I really fell in love with this resort this week. We stayed in a 2bd. in the grandstand, right next to the pool and the bus stop. I like this location better than congress park, its so close to the main building. I thought Artist Pallett was very good, except for the garlic gravy for the biscuit in the morning. But the turf club was the best table rest. we ate all week. that grilled ceaser salad is so unique and awesome. The resort was very busy and people stay at the resort all day too. the pools were pretty full. THe parks were crowed like it was June. A true 45 min wait for fantasy land rides at 7pm. WOW. I am so used to that week being a slow week. In the past everything would be a walk on except for a big new E ticket ride. But using fastpass is a day saver.

We will be there for NYE and beyond and will try our SSR room key. IF it works ( and I believe it will!!) this will be great, especially this time of year when the crowds at the parks will be nuts! We been to the parks too many times to count so being inside the parks isn't our priority but having extra Fasspasses will make it easier when we decide to go! We are also looking forward to trying the Turf Club because we have an ADR. How are the Steaks?? Thanks for the tip........:thumbsup2

We did not have any steaks, The ladies had the Tomato and goat cheese soup. They loved it. it was very rich and warmed them up cause they were cold. the kids meal were good and they offered fruit and veggies so it was one of the more health meals the kids ate. The men had either a burger which was good, or the ribs. The veggie slaw that was served was very good. It was a very southern type BBQ slaw or almost what we call chow-chow. Its is cool and crisp but very spicy. I loved it. But they have more standard sides like Mashed Potatoes and fries if a spicy vinegar slaw is not your thing, but I would at least ask for a taste from your waiter. Oh, and the butter and bread is good. they sprinkle a rock salt on it that is orange in color and has a little garlic flavor too. And that grilled ceasar is my favorite. make sure you squeze that grilled lemon on the salad too. THe salad feeds two,if as a side, and they will plate it on two plates if you ask.

And I hope your room key works too, and that I did not just have some pixie dust on my room key this past week. But the CM at the fast pass booth at TSM told me it should work all the time. I found out about it by mistake, cause i put my room key in out of habit forgeting that I had seperate tickets this time.

Great tip for the fast passes! Thanks ;)
We will be there in January - can't wait to give it a try

Really great info to have on the FPs being available on either room key or ticket ... I presume it'll work for annual passes, too?

And to the PP who wants to know about the Surf Club steaks--they're excellent! DS and I both had one (on two separate visits) at the Turf Club during T-giving week (we also had the prime rib)...really really good!

Thanks for the info...

I am glad you enjoyed SSR. We were there Thanksgiving week, same sections, also right near the pool and path to main building.

As for the room key, this worked for my DBIL but did not work for me. My DBIL was very pleased with himself when he realized what he had discovered but when I tried it--no go.

Hopefully it will work for others!

I thought that the only media that would work in a fast pass machine HAD to have been scanned at the turnstyles (sp) that day? Don't get me wrong, as new DVC members we would LOVE this perk, just curious?!

I have tried the room key and my annual pass for fast passes, but the room key never worked, had to use my annual pass. So maybe the OP got lucky.

It would seem to me that the OP just got lucky. If it were commonplace for Disney to apply your park ticket credentials on both your room key AND your separate theme park media, there would be a huge problem - especially with FastPass allocation.

If you already own park tickets before you check in, your room key has absolutely no ties to your park tickets, and never will - unless you ask Guest Services to "merge" your tickets onto your Key to the World card, at which point your ticket media would be voided.

I have a feeling that the OP attempted this "merge" and the CM screwed something up, thus leaving the OP with two identical forms of ticket media in his possession.

Conversely, if you just purchase a MYW Package, you will only receive one Key to the World card, and would never have the opportunity to have separate cards for each item.

So, it sounds like the OP and someone else's DBIL got lucky because of human error on a CM's part. So, lucky them!

To the rest of you, don't get your hopes up :)

THere was no "merge" attempted, I had my tickets through a convention I was attending sent to me months ago. I checked in, using DVC points, the check in Cast member never asked if I needed park tickets, just a standard check in, anyway I had lots of pixie dust sprinkled on the room keys. I had 7 keys for each family member and they all got fastpasses at each machine.

2 keys had room charging and the rest did not, so that was not a factor. I hope its not a fluke.......Maybe a new DVC perk? For those going soon, please check back in and let us know if it is working for everyone.

We did not have any steaks, The ladies had the Tomato and goat cheese soup. They loved it. it was very rich and warmed them up cause they were cold. the kids meal were good and they offered fruit and veggies so it was one of the more health meals the kids ate. The men had either a burger which was good, or the ribs. The veggie slaw that was served was very good. It was a very southern type BBQ slaw or almost what we call chow-chow. Its is cool and crisp but very spicy. I loved it. But they have more standard sides like Mashed Potatoes and fries if a spicy vinegar slaw is not your thing, but I would at least ask for a taste from your waiter. Oh, and the butter and bread is good. they sprinkle a rock salt on it that is orange in color and has a little garlic flavor too. And that grilled ceasar is my favorite. make sure you squeze that grilled lemon on the salad too. THe salad feeds two,if as a side, and they will plate it on two plates if you ask.

And I hope your room key works too, and that I did not just have some pixie dust on my room key this past week. But the CM at the fast pass booth at TSM told me it should work all the time. I found out about it by mistake, cause i put my room key in out of habit forgeting that I had seperate tickets this time.

Thanks, Canda for the info!! Much Appreciated:thumbsup2 You know this SHOULD be a perk!!! We are all "solid" supporters of Disney($$) and this would not cost "Disney" anything except "good customer relations" which they are in need of at this time!!

If this is true, it will come in handy when we go during President's week.

Thanks for the tip!!!

The "double dipping" described by the OP happened to my family on our first day at the parks one trip. We were not DVC members at the time. Our room keys should have had our park tickets on them, but they were not on our room keys when we tried to use them at the park entrance. We had to wait on this really long line to clear this up at the ticket area. We were issued separate park tickets and fastpasses were given to us to compensate our time. Then we got back on the park entrance line again.

For some reason, at the end of the day, I tried to see if my room key would generate a FastPass, and it did for my whole family. It, however, did not work for the rest of the days of our trip. I considered it a fluke, and in a sense, a time saver for those two extra lines we had to wait in at the start of the day. Too bad I did not try this out in the morning!

I think the OP also experienced a fluke.

Something tells me this will not work for us :sad2: But we sure will give it a try!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter