Just got back from our not-so-magical trip

1rockinmamato2

<marquee><font color=red> *** <font color=green>I
For months we planned our third trip to WDW with children. We specifically wanted to go back in October because we love MNSSHP.

The kids were so excited. We had our first character meals reserved. Akershus, CRT and Chef Mickey's.

We arrived late on Saturday, October 3. We did our usual grocery shopping, then snuggled in bed ready to begin our day at Epcot the next day. On Sunday, we awoke early and got to the park before opening. We were able to jump into the Character Spot quickly and had photos taken of the kids with Mickey, Minne, Donald, Goofy and Pluto.

Then, we were off to Akershus. We had a blast. Turned out that DS4 enjoyed the princesses (and Mary Poppins!) more than DD3. ;)

We rode Test Track and Nemo, then decided to head back for a nap because we wanted to do Sea World that night because we've been wanting to see Shamu Rocks for years.

Sea World was great. Got tickets upgraded to the 2nd day and went back to the condo where we watched the Epcot fireworks from our balcony. Everything that day was so wonderful and magical.

Then, around 9 p.m., DS started complaining about being cold. He began shivering and suddenly spiked a fever. He'd had a cough for a couple of days so I was concerned that he had an upper respiratory infection. I found the number and location of a pediatric aftercare clinic and took him in. By the time we got there, he was having difficulty breathing and was unresponsive. His O2 sat was 82!!! :eek:

They called an ambulance to the clinic to take him to an ER. We were transported to Osceola Regional Medical Center. He was given breathing treatments, IV fluids and oxygen. An X-ray showed he had pneumonia.

It was the most awful, scary feeling in the world to have such a sick child so far away from home. DH felt helpless as I had to leave the car at the clinic, so he was at the condo all night with DD and no transportation.

The ER doctor then determined that it would be best to transport DS to Arnold Palmer. We waited EIGHT hours for a bed when finally the ER doctor on the next shift decided that since DS was improving, they would keep him at Osceola Regional.

We spent the next four days in the hospital doing breathing treatments, IV antibiotics and steroids around the clock. DS was finally discharged on the day before we were to leave. He is doing much better now and that is all that matters. But, we can't help but to be sad about all of the things they missed seeing and doing that week.

We initially planned on going back rather soon, but we just spent so much money on a trip that we really didn't get to take. Lesson learned - buy that trip insurance from now on!!!

DH and I were laughing and saying the kids will probably never want to go back to WDW because DS will think that means he has to stay in the hospital and DD will think it means staying in the condo all day, every day. ;)

On our last day, we wanted to go to MNSSHP but with the ridiculous heat and humidity, we didn't want to push DS. So, we watched the fireworks from a distance and we went home the next morning. Although it didn't turn out like we had planned, there were a few magical moments and that was a trip we will surely NEVER forget. :upsidedow

Wow! So sorry, but I'm glad DS is better now. We had a trip once where the stomach flu hit everyone, but at least we were able to salvage a couple of days! I hope you can go back and make some new, truly magical memories! :wizard:

How awful for you and your family. I am so sorry your son got so sick...but so happy that he is doing better. Disney will always be there...and you were with your son and that is what counts.

Not sure if you had tickets to the Halloween party but if you DID and they were not used try asking for a refund or a voucher for another visit. They will do this sometimes if you have medical proof. Sorry your son was sick, glad he is better.

Thanks everyone.

Yes, Disney will always be there thank goodness. :thumbsup2

Also, Disney was great about the MNSSHP tickets. We hadn't picked them up a will call yet so when I called to explain they were super nice and refunded our money. They did take down information like what hospital he was admitted into, etc. Not sure if they follow up on that or not.

I'm so emotionally exhausted from that trip and everything that happened. I feel sort of hungover this week. LOL!!! :faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter