• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just got back from my 1st DLP visit....sharing my experiences!

scottrc

Expert Disney Vet (WDW/DLC)
Hi All!

My wife and I (no kids) just flew back from our first DLP trip and I wanted to share my experiences. As a 1st timer, I know it can be tough looking up info to be prepared, so here are some first hand accounts!

First off, let me say that I am from the US and have lost count on how many times I've been to WDW in Florida and DL in California. Hopefully I can do this with comparing parks (both pro and con) and just describe DLP, but a comparison or 2 may sneak in! :)

We flew via Air France in/out of CDG. The flights were OK, we did have some issues trying to purchase "seat plus" (more legroom) and the Air France website is not very well designed. One major criticism I have about Air France is that their English-speaking customer support line is an 800 # only good in the US. Not very helpful when you need English speaking customer support once you're in France and require assistance for your flight back.

Customs in France was a nightmare. I think at least 3 big planes all unloaded at once so we were in line at customs for over an hour.

We used Paris Blue Shuttle for the transfers (http://www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr/home_en.php). Highly recommend. For just a few euro's more than the VEA shuttle, it's worth it. Driver was waiting where we were instructed and it was just us. We drove right to SL, no stops along the way. Upon pickup, that driver was a few minutes late, but we shared the van with another family so it may have been this other family that made him late. Either way, we went straight to CDG with no other stops.

The first 6 nights, we stayed at SL. While it's theming isn't as grand as Wilderness lodge in WDW or the Grand Californian in DL, the public area's are very nice. As for the room itself...all I can say about it was it was adequate. I was a little disappointed with it. Nothing fancy about it at all, the bed was kinda hard, just shampoo and soap for amenities, no face cloths and no clock. I've never been in a hotel room anywhere in the world without a clock. The breakfast was ok, didn't need to reserve a time before hand. They turn all 3 restaurant/lounges into the buffet's.

The last 5 nights we stayed at the DL Hotel. If you can afford it...stay here for sure, this is a beautiful hotel, public areas and rooms and it's right at the entrance to the parks. The only issue we had here was inconsistent housekeeping. Some nights they did turn down service, some nights they didn't. One day they forgot about making up the room altogether! But a quick phone call to housekeeping and that was promptly fixed. We loved the Fantasia Bar and seating area in front of the 2 restaurants. A great place to wind down the day with cocktails. Breakfast at the DL Hotel is better as well, they add in some hot items.

Now on to DL. Walking through it, I can tell that it's inspired by DL in California and not WDW's Magic Kingdom. It really has a lot of character and charm, plus we loved the little out of the way path ways you can find to navigate lands away from any crowds. Here is my .02 to some of the things unique to DLP:

-Best. Space. Mountain. EVER! This has become my new favorite ride in all of Disney.
-Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril is a cool little coaster. Even it was added in on the quick and cheap during the leaner days of "Euro Disney", it's a nice addition.
-All the popcorn stands serve "kettle corn" or popcorn with sugar. I asked one of the CM's why this was and he said "because that's how they serve popcorn in America". Ah....no. We may occasionally have popcorn with sugar, 99% of time we have it with salt.
-Because of the array of languages just a couple hours away in every direction, I noticed that there are a quite a few attractions missing or altered because they depend on understanding what's being said and/or sung. Because of this, DLP misses out on a Jungle Cruise, Tiki Birds and removes the narration from Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor. I certainly understand why, but disappointing these aren't included.

On to The Walt Disney Studios:

-Love Crush's Coaster, they gotta put one of these in the US.
-Really liked the new Toy Story Playland, although the I gotta admit after the fact, the Parachute drop is not worth the 30-45 min wait.
-We walked on the Rock n' Roller coaster every time...this is unheard of in the Florida Studio's park. Plus the whole "we're late for the concert and need a really fast limo to get there" theming is gone. Have to assume because of the language issue mentioned above.
-The Armageddon SFX show...what a waste of time and space that thing is. Hopefully imagineer's are working on a replacement as we speak.

Dining:

For the most part we ate in the village, didn't make any reservations and were seating right away or in less than 5 min. That said, we also made it a point to eat BEFORE the park's closed. Not sure how we would have made out if we didn't. At the time we were there, when you ate at Rainforest Cafe, you got a 20% coupon for King Ludwigs and vice-versa. So we flip flopped those restaurants a few days to save some cash. The Invention's buffet in the DLH, not worth the 50+ Euro price. The Plaza Garden buffet in DL is a hidden gem at just 20 euro.

Outside of DLP:
The Cityrama day excursion to Paris is well worth the 79 euro. You get tickets to the 2nd floor of the Eiffel Tower and a river cruise on the Seine. The nighttime tour is nice, but can be skipped if you don't have the time. it is super simple to get into the city from DLP. The RER "A" line goes right from outside the DLP entrance through the middle of the city. Easy access to all of Paris' main attraction through it and transfers to the Metro. Paris has got to have some of the best public transportation on the planet. We purchased one day "moblis" passes for each day we went into the city. Just 13 euro a day per person for unlimited travel from DLP (zone 5) and any where in the city all day long.

How did the strike affect us?
The Eiffel Tower was closed on day one of the strike, Oct 12th. Access to the top of the Arc De Triumphe was closed all days we tried to access it. No issues with the RER or Metro's (beside's maybe being a little busier because of spikes in the price of gas). No issues with our Air France flights, Air France was 100% committed to keeping all long-hail flights flying.

In summary, it was a fantastic trip of a lifetime. From the American perspective, if all you care about is Disney...then just go to WDW or DL. It is VERY expensive in Paris and not worth the money to just go to DLP for DLP. But if you're planning on seeing the sights in the city...then a side trip to DLP is well worth it!

For any other first timers' out there...please feel free to ask any questions you can think of! I'll be glad to help if I can!

-Scott

thanks for the info, currently planning our first trip and great to hear about the experiences of other first timers!!

I'm glad you had enjoyed your trip to DLRP. I agree with the point that Sequoia Lodge is no comparison to the Wilderness Lodge or the Grand Californian (probably my favourite Disney hotel that I have ever stayed in), but I don't believe that it sets out to be as it does not claim to be a deluxe like the WL and GCH does.

Seen as you are familiar with Disneyland it is a shame that you did not get to eat at Blue Lagoon, whilst the service isn't up to the Blue Bayou standard the themeing IMHO is much better (so much darker and better decoration.) I agree with the points that you made about the rides (I agree that Space Mountain is the best one of the three!) and that Crush's coaster would be a welcome addition to another Disney park (I can see it fitting well in the Californian Adventure park although I kind of like the fact that Paris has a good unique ride.) I also think that BTMRR is the better of the 3 as it is longer and I like the fact that it is located on its own island in the middle of the lake.

I also agree that the price is expensive compared to WDW and DL (we actually paid less for 9 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge than we did for 5 night at the Disneyland Hotel which included transatlantic flights as opposed to us driving via the tunnel)

So you say it was a once in a lifetime trip? I said that the 1st time we went to WDW!!

Are there any special perks staying in the DL Hotel? I read a report that talked about going to Salon Mickey (?) and I'm wondering what that is?

Are any of shows presented in English once a day? (I speak French but my family doesn't, it would be nice for them to understand some of the shows)

Where did you get the Cityrama Day pass?
Thanks! :)

Are there any special perks staying in the DL Hotel? I read a report that talked about going to Salon Mickey (?) and I'm wondering what that is?
Salon Mickey is the shareholders lounge at the entrance to the parks, you either have to be a shareholder in Eurodisney (now DLP) or be an invited guest of a shareholder to be admitted into Salon Mickey.

Are any of shows presented in English once a day? (I speak French but my family doesn't, it would be nice for them to understand some of the shows)

Most of the shows are either in only English, or a lovely mix of both (Animagique and Cinemagique are a wonderful mix of both, even young children get the gist, even though they don't understand French). Stitch Live and Playhouse Disney do shows in all English, all French, and occasionally another European language. These are well advertised on the information board in the Studios park.

Where did you get the Cityrama Day pass?
Thanks! :)

Are you planning a trip to DLP too :)?

Staying at the DLH entitles you to one hotel Fastpass per guest per day. These FPs can be used at nearly any time of day so are much better than ordinary FPs with their restricted return time (and DLP is quite strict about fastpass return times). If you stay Castle Club or in a suite you get a VIP Fastpass which can be used over and over.

Salon Mickey is only accessible to shareholders and their guests.

Most shows are in French/English .....so, for example Mickey may say " blah blah blah" in French and Minnie says "That's right, Mickey, it is a lovely day for singing with your friends". I hope that makes sense. :rotfl:

Thank you for the fast answers. We're going to Paris next summer, and I'm trying to iron out the details now. The DL hotel is a lot more expensive than the others, but looks beautiful and is so close. I may need to splurge.

I'm amazed that the shows are so accessible to English speakers! Tres bien!

We're going to do a trip to Mont St Michel in addition to Disney & Paris. Can't wait!!

Most shows are in French/English .....so, for example Mickey may say " blah blah blah" in French and Minnie says "That's right, Mickey, it is a lovely day for singing with your friends". I hope that makes sense. :rotfl:

This really made me lol, brilliant example! :lmao:

Alot of the soundtracks on the rides have a combo french/english track. For example, in the auction scene in pirates, the auctioneer is in French, but I caught a "we want the redhead" in english. You'll hear a couple of sentences in French and then the same (or as close to it) in English. In Phantom Manor (which tries to tell the story without a narration in the doom buggy) the "head in the glass" says a couple of sentences in french and then the same in english. Same for Buzz and Zurg in Buzz Lightyear. Some is always in French, like the stretching room in Manor.

However, switch over to Tower of Terror, the library scene you first stand in to set up the story, I heard in french one time and english another. Even if you don't speak alot of French, most of the staff can speak enough english to get by.

As for the Cityrama tour...you book that at the concierge.

Thanks for sharing!:) Glad you enjoyed your trip. You are right that Space Mountain is a totally revamped ride at DLP - I think thrill ride junkies would be a little jealous if they knew the difference.;)

Yep need to stay at the DLH at least once! May be when I am feeling rich or for a special occasion.:wizard:

In summary, it was a fantastic trip of a lifetime. From the American perspective, if all you care about is Disney...then just go to WDW or DL. It is VERY expensive in Paris and not worth the money to just go to DLP for DLP. But if you're planning on seeing the sights in the city...then a side trip to DLP is well worth it!

Very well put! DLP certainly has it's charm but as an American who has had 2 so-so trips to DLP, including 1 trip where DLP was the sole reason for going to Europe, I agree 100% with this sentiment.

Scott,

I appreciate your report as I am another American planning a first trip to DLRP next spring. MY DH, DD(17) and I will be spending a week in Paris (arriving on Easter Sunday) and plan to take the RER down a couple of days mid week to see the parks. I have tons of questions so I hope I dont wear you down. I am most nervous about touring the parks efficiently as have only two days. I don't want to be completely commando, but do want to make sure that I know which rides (that are not to be missed) have long or slow lines. My family is good about being up and at rope drop, and with what (I think) will be a 10:00 am opening this will be a snap even coming from Paris.. I usually have a touring plan ready for the first couple of hours trying get the headliners/favorites done with a minimum of wait, then slow down the pace. So would like to hear your recommendation of which rides should not be missed and which should be done sooner rather than later.

While My DD and I love thrill rides, my DH has some limits. He loves BTRR GRR, and Splash, but will not do Space Mt, RnR, ToT, or Calif Screaming. We got him on Everest once, but he will not go back. He does not like heights. Can you give me your thoughts about Crush's coaster and the Indy Coaster (and anything else unique to DLRP) and the liklihood that he might enjoy the ride or should definitely avoid it?

Am I correct that DLRP is strict about FP return times and that you must return in the stated window?

We will have limited meals at the resort, but what would be your recommendation for a nice sit down meal in the parks or village and the best quick service?

Thanks for your help!

A different Scott ...

I also have a problem with heights - I suffer badly from Vertigo and struggle with focusing when all around is moving. However, I am absolutely fine with dark coasters as the brain and the eyes aren't confusing each other.

WRT to crush - this is a fairly tame coaster in the dark, but does spin a bit. There's also a bit of a drop at the start of the main coaster ride, it is good fun, although over a bit too quick IMO.

Indie is probably not a good ride if he doesn't like heights - I wont do Indy for the reasons I've stated.

Another point is that BTM in DLP is quite a bit different to BTM in the US parks. It's certainly more of a thrill ride and is IMO better than WDW and CA.

WRT to FP, well I think that depends on the person manning the machine. We've used FPs ahead of schedule and after we've missed our slot with no problems, however, I wouldn't be suprised if you got turned away if you had a jobsworth person on the FP gate and you'd missed the slot.

Best places to eat in the park - Walts when the parade is on or Blue Lagoon !
HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter