Just got back from Harry Potter

New England Eeyore

DIS Veteran
So has anyone else seen it yet? I was really disappointed. I felt that the first 4 movies did a really good job at staying true to the books while keeping it a manageable length for a movie. This one just got me angry from the first scene. I understand that they have to cut things, but they changed all sorts of things that I don't think they should have changed. The whole thing felt kind of disjointed and rushed.

Ironically, Order of the Phoenix was my least favorite book, so I don't know why I feel so loyal to it. Probably because I just re-read it (and book 6) in anticipation of the movie and Book 7, so everything is fresh in my mind.

My youngest DsD saw it three times this weekend! She saw it Friday night with her mom, Saturday with DH and other DsD. I was disappointed that they went when I was working so she said she'd go again with me tonight. She loved it! I tried to keep my disappointment to myself.

Oh well - just 7 more days until the real highlight of the summer - and then the low point when I've finished reading and it sinks in that it's all over!

Yeah, I saw it on Thursday. I thought it was really dark, and sad. I was with a Potter expert, who agreed with you...felt that things weren't done quite right...could have been done better...

Ijust was on edge through most of the movie...it made me very sad...

There was a lot that I didn't like about it. I wished there would have been more of Tonks. She was only shown in the movie a couple of times. And I wished they would have focused a little more on the Department of Mysteries, like when Ron gets the brain out of the tank in the book. But I wasn't a big fan of the fifth book anyway. But I am more worried about the seventh book so I hope it makes up for what the movie didn't do for me.

We're going tomorrow night and I'm wondering some of the same things from what I've heard. I just reread the 5th too just to refresh myself. When I read it the first time, I really liked it and still did in there reread but I found myself anxious, even though I knew what happened. It seemed that Rowling set up a lot of things that weren't addressed in Book 6 so either they come back in 7 or they weren't important.

My dd saw the movie and said some of the same things you all said - she also mentioned that she wished she hadn't reread the book because then she was fresh on the details that they changed or left out. My dh doesn't read the books, only goes to the movies, so he doesn't recognize the changes - sometimes not reading can be a good thing!

I'll check in with you after Tues night, after seeing it myself.

I went yesterday and feel the same way. Until now I haven't read any of the books but I had started this one and got about halfway through and was wishing some of the missing stuff had been included. I felt like even though they cut alot out the movie still felt very rushed to me. Like I said I've not read the other books but I felt they did what could be called alot of setup for future movies but my DH who has read the books told me not really.

Oh well it was a decent movie and it did keep my attention but truthfully I like Transformers better.

haven't seen it and my best friend called me and told me not to. I'm very loyal to the books and simply tolerate the movies (I think POA was the best done) and she said I would be royally ticked off and to wait for DVD so I can yell at my TV in the privacy of my home. (She knows me really well)

On the other hand, only 4 days 16 hrs. 8 mins. til Deathly Hallows comes out :D

We saw it last Wednesday. I really liked it as a movie, but when we got home, I started re-reading the books (the plus of being off for a few weeks in the summer). I hadn't read 5 since it first came out (and I still haven't read 6--must finish that by this weekend!!!). After starting to re-read 5, I kept stopping and saying, "But that's NOT how it happened in the movie. . .why did they do that in the movie?" 5 wasn't one of my favorite books (still isn't on the re-read--POA is my favorite, hands-down).

We are going back Friday night to see the movie again before picking up our book 7s (that's right, 2 copies) at midnight! :thumbsup2

I saw the movie Friday night and I haven't read the book since it came out, and I thought, while yes, they did leave a lot of stuff out, the movie was done fairly well. I enjoyed it as a whole, and I tend to watch these movies like I didn't read the book at all, because everytime I see a movie after reading the book, it just NEVER compares!!! So, with that being said, I thought the movie as a stand alone, was pretty good, it held my attention and I didn 't get bored watching it. Some parts even had me on the edge of my seat. I do agree that the book was by far better than any movie could be.

DS11 and DS6 went to see it with mom. They said it was good but they have not read the book. I have no idea when DH and I will get to see it.
I'm with Maria I try to separate myself from comparing books vs movies. I learned a long time ago that the directors take their own views of events and they cut way too much out. I honestly was disappointed with movie 4, I would have sat there for 4 hours if they had left more stuff in.

Anxiously waiting for the release of book 7. Of course DH's fight gets in at midnight, should I make him wait???? :rotfl2:

DH, HP :confused3 DH, HP what's a girl to do........

Buffy, I'm missing my high school 10 year reunion for HP 7 :rotfl2:

I look at it this way - reunion is $200, book will be under $5 since I have B&N Gift cards and I didn't like 90% of those people when I went to school with them so why do I want to pay $200 to see who's fat and who married who? I don't really care :D Give me my HP book!

hpdhcover.jpg

First mistake is reading the book immediately around the movie. Problem was the release of DH has made this a difficult task. As I really don't particularly like Phoenix as a book (I wouldn't say "hate" but it's a visceral reaction), it took 4 months to completely re-read in in preparation for book 7. I finished immediately before my midnight viewing of the movie. BIG MISTAKE. I spent two hours getting frustrated about the changes. I have a rule that I spoil myself on the movies so that I don't go in not knowing what's changed/missing. I figure I've read the books 5 times -- I know what happens. So reading a spoiler means nothing to me. This time, I got irritated in the details.

Saw it a second time Wednesday night -- liked it much better. Much, much better. Yesterday, saw it on IMAX. That's really cool. Now, I can say, this is the only of the movies I've liked better than the book. The only real disappointment on stuff missing is "Weasley is our King", which I knew was missing. Still a disappointment.

I liked this movie (after I got over it). I have learned to see the movies and the books separately. NOW, I'm a nervous wreck over the book. I'm worried that I'll be spoiled. ARRRGHHHHH!

I'm not so worried I'll be spoiled - I read fast so I'll be done on Saturday at some point. I lock myself in the house, turn off my phone (and change my VM message to "Reading Harry, call you when I'm done"

I have to finish on Saturday since Sunday is DBF's open house that his insane mother is insisting on and Monday is back to work.

I'm not so worried I'll be spoiled - I read fast so I'll be done on Saturday at some point. I lock myself in the house, turn off my phone (and change my VM message to "Reading Harry, call you when I'm done"

This is what I plan to do!! We'll be picking ours up at midnight, and then I'm hoping to get up early and read, read, read. I hope to finish that night or Sunday morning! :thumbsup2

Since so many of you agree, I figured that's exactly what happened - having just re-read it made everything so fresh in my mind. I really enjoyed the first 4 movies. When I saw it, I said #4 was my favorite, but I haven't seen it since that first time in the theater - my girls told me I needed to get it on DVD before they come back next weekend - they're planning a "Potterfest" since I already have the first 3.

Book 4 used to be my favorite book, but after re-reading Book 6 I think it is my favorite. I remember after I read it last summer I said, how on earth am I going to wait a year to find out what happens next? Now it's just a matter of days!

I pre-ordered from Amazon so it'll be waiting for me when I get home from work on Saturday, but my store has a book section also, and it's in my line of sight - it'll be torture looking at the display when I can't read it! I think my copy will be coming to work with me on Sunday - it's slow enough Sundays that I will have some time to read. I know I definitely don't want to rush through it - it's the last one - I have to savor it!

I broke the spine on my book 6 the first day I got it. I chucked it across the room at a certain point towards the end (as if that was going to change what had just happened) had my self a good cry and then finished the book. I have re-read the book 4 times since, and never have re-read that scene. Hate when your favorite character dies

I re-read book 6 last week ready for the final installment. I haven't read book 5 in a long time, there were certain parts of it that really upset me, hopwever I'm sure I'll read it again someday.

I feel so sorry for you guys, by the time midnight rolls around to even the east coast, we'll have already had the book for 5 hours!! :D

I broke the spine on my book 6 the first day I got it. I chucked it across the room at a certain point towards the end (as if that was going to change what had just happened) had my self a good cry and then finished the book. I have re-read the book 4 times since, and never have re-read that scene. Hate when your favorite character dies

ahhhh but are they really dead?????

I'm having a picnic at my house Saturday - a goodbye party for my former assistant who is moving to Tampa to go to grad school. We're picking up the book Saturday am and I plan to read it after everyone leaves, no matter what time (or at worst, Sunday am).

will check in about the movie after tomorrow evening when I get back from seeing it on the IMAX.

I too hated that scene the first read, but on the second read I appreciated it all the more for the questions it set up. I do think the death was real, but I'm intrigued by the motives of the other party - I think there's a lot more to the story than meets the eye. I can't wait for answers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter