Just got back from a week long WDW trip using an ECV!

HonnyDipp

DIS Veteran
First of all let me tell you about my disease. I have Polymyositis. Its an autoimmune disease. Basically my immune system turned on my muscles and forced them to break down. I started showing symptoms in Jan '06. By Aug I was unable to walk, climb stairs and get out of the seated position. I'm in remission now. There's no cure, but I learned how to walk again...slowly, but no more wheelchair or walker.

I rented from Buena Vista Scooters. We checked into Art of Animation around 2pm last Saturday. Our rooms weren't ready, but my scooter was charged and waiting at the Bell Stand. It was the perfect size and easy to use plus it was very handy considering how big that resort is. We were in the LM section, building 8. The farthest building on the property. Even using my ECV it took me about 5 minutes to get from my building to the main hall & buses.

Speaking of buses, we used them several times a day. I was worried reading the threads on these boards. I didn't know what to expect. But I had absolutely NO problems with the buses or the drivers. All of the drivers were happy and willing to assist me. Most of them even complimented me on my parallel parking skills. Last Sunday the MK was open till' 2am. My kids and I left the park around 12:45. I had NO problem boarding the bus, I was expecting a long wait, MK was packed, but the longest I had to wait was 5 minutes. The only attitude I got was from the the other guests.
But oh well.

The next day we went back to MK. I was ready to tackle HM, again I read about the horror stories so I wanted to get it over with. It was different from the last time I rode back in '08. I was able to go through the main queue with my kids. The CM's told me to just keep to the right. After the stretching room, another CM told me to just stay to the right, and meet him at the rope around the corner. He then asked me 2 questions. 1) could I transfer? 2) could I move on a moving walk way, or did it need to be stopped? Even though I am walking again, I didn't trust the walkway, so he allowed us to pass but he told me to keep moving to the right. Once I got there, the walkway stopped and I was able to board. 2 days later we rode it again. This time when the CM asked me the 2 questions, she didn't let it go. She followed with "What if we slowed the walkway down? I pictured myself hitting the floor and I told her "NO, it needs to be stopped". She smiled and told me I may have to wait about 4 minutes, but it wouldn't be a problem.

On our trip to AK, My kids and I went straight to Expedition Everest. Again we traveled through the main queue, it was super tight, so I had to watch my speed and the sharp turns, once we got to the boarding area CM's asked me if I could transfer and to keep to the right. I had to leave my key in the ECV and was directed to the back seat of the coaster. My ECV was waiting right were I left it. Afterwards, my kids and I LOVED Everest. We got back in line. I was directed to sit in the back again. Row 17. We also rode Dinosaur back to back. They had an elevator and once again, we sat in the very back of the truck. My ECV was waiting for me when we got off. The CM's were smiling and thanked my kids for being great helpers. I was in my ECV and my kids followed behind, a CM joked saying we reminded them of a mama duck and her little ducklings. LOL! The next morning my DS14 and I took the bus and was back at AK when it opened. We sat in the same seat, rode it back to back. We made perfect time that morning. AK opened at 9am, by 10:15 my DS and I were back at AoA eating breakfast with the rest of our family.

Our day at DHS a tough one for me. We went straight to ToT. I was told to transfer directly to a wheelchair, we waited an hour to ride and again, I had absolutely NO problem. The CM's were happy and willing to help. I made sure I thanked them. Used their names. For some reason it made them soften up to me.

Again, the only problems or attitudes I experienced were from the other guests. I got mean glares from time to time. To look at me, I don't look sick, but my legs lost 40% of their muscle strength. Wednesday evening, we were on the Monorail traveling to the Poly for 6:35 ressies at 'Ohana. We were coming from Epcot, so we had to transfer 3 times. We arrived at the Ticket area and we had to get off to transfer, but I couldn't because I was waiting for the CM to grab the ramp for my ECV, A woman pushing a stroller comes up trying to board, she says to me "CAN YOU MOVE THAT THING?" before I could open my mouth a man says "SHE'S WAITING ON SOMEONE TO HELP HER, UNLESS YOU WANT TO DO IT FOR HER". She huffed then marched off, I thanked him and he said to me, "Don't worry about it, some people are just ignorant"

On our last bus ride I thanked the driver for helping me. I told him I heard horror stories about loading the ECV's on the buses. He told me that they do their best to get rid of those drivers, saying most of them do their best to help the disabled because they know they can't help themselves.

I had a fantastic stay at WDW! We are already planning our next trip for 2013!

the bus drivers and CMs in regards to your ECV usage.

I am dissappointed about the other guests and glares. At least no one started a war about it.

I am also so glad you had great drivers and a great time. That driver right Disney dose try hard to get rid of bad drivers but sometimes they don't know so they can't do something about it.
Disney should put the setup of the tie down at the stops so you can practice parking.

Glad you had a good time.

Most of the problems we have had are also with other guests.

I am also so glad you had great drivers and a great time. That driver right Disney dose try hard to get rid of bad drivers but sometimes they don't know so they can't do something about it.
Disney should put the setup of the tie down at the stops so you can practice parking.
Actually, all the resort bus stops have a box the size of the wheelchair spot on the bus that people could possibly practice parking into. No need for a full setof tiedowns.

SueM in MN said:
Glad you had a good time.

Most of the problems we have had are also with other guests.

Actually, all the resort bus stops have a box the size of the wheelchair spot on the bus that people could possibly practice parking into. No need for a full setof tiedowns.

I know but if they had a side of the bus with the seat up and tie downs it could help guest who would be afraid to park. Get some practice so they may have a better experience.

Glad you had a great trip! I'm at Disney now & the bus drivers have been great. Some other guests, not so much.

Kudos to you for enjoying yourself and pfft on anyone who gave you a hard time! My grandfather has polymyositis as well and for years (until he had weight loss surgery, which eased much of his symptoms - he was a big dude) was frequently unable to move unless sitting in a special chair that stood him up. I hope your improved health continues.

So glad to hear everything went well! Hearing about the man who put the rude stroller lady in her place made me grin from ear to ear!

Several years ago we went to Disney and we stayed at CBR. the first day we were there I was getting ready to load the bus and the bus driver rolled his eyes and said I am at capacity you have to wait until another bus comes (there were 9 people n the bus). I told him that there were only 9 people on his bus and tat I could probably fit. He finally got up and opened the lift. He cussed me using the d word and the s word. I was in total shock, especially when there were small children around. After he did that I refused to get on his bus and got the numbers off of us bus. I called the operations center and they sent the main supervisor over to me at CBR. He was there in a matter of minutes. He ordered me a bus and I got to ride all the way to MK with my DH all by ourselves. He gave me his personal number and told me that if I ever had any more problems to not hesitate to contact him. This experience was terrible but Disney made it right!!! Never underestimate the power of making a complaint!!!

I am in an ECV because of peripheral neuropathy in both feet and hands. To look at me I don't look like I need an ECV, But there is no way I could walk everywhere in WDW. Never make judgements whether someone needs an ECV or not. I would love to be able to walk anywhere I wanted without the hassle of an ECV!!!

I am just back from 4 days at WDW using an ECV for the first time. The CMs were fantastic, especially the bus drivers. I was very self-conscious about parking (parallel parking without a mirror! yikes!) and almost all of them put it into neutral and moved it into place and then out of place for me when I was uneasy. I can't say enough about how much better they made me feel. I didn't really have any problems with other guests, except that they stop suddenly and don't see you coming. I spent half my trip looking at people's butts. Not a pretty sight, America!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter