• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just got back for Alaskan "Wonder"...Only 1 complaint!

Disney Divva

Mmm... Good!
I just arrived back home from a DREAMY 7-night excursion on a magical Disney Wonder Alaskan cruise! Service, atmosphere and entertainment for everyone in my party (12-45yrs) was the best we've ever experienced. I was happy to add additional gratuities to all my service team members. We're pleased and still in high spirits.

My only complaint is the quality/taste of the "quick service food": pizza and soft pretzels (Pinocchio's) and we could never get a hot burger & fries from Pluto's -even when requested. On our Disneyland/World trips, we beeline to soft pretzels, corndogs and smoked turkey legs as soon as we enter the park!

With the exception of my complaint, this cruise was perfect in every way.

That's too bad that you had those problems, my family lives the pizza from Pinocchio's. Hopefully the burger issue was just a result of the cool Alaska air. I'm so glad that the rest of your trip was great!

That's too bad that you had those problems, my family lives the pizza from Pinocchio's. Hopefully the burger issue was just a result of the cool Alaska air. I'm so glad that the rest of your trip was great!
Wow, really!! @pizza That's funny! Thanks, we had a wonderful time.

In my opinion I wouldn't complain about the soft pretzels because I went on a cruise on the fantasy and they didn't have them for free. They wanted to charge me!!!! I was devastated!!!! This might sound crazy but the soft pretzels on the wonder would be a huge selling point for me to sail on that ship over the others if the itinerary is the same.

I've never been impressed with quick service on either of the two ships we've been on or anything we've eaten at any of the parks (both DL and WDW).

Any highlights of your trip or other tips? We're getting seriously excited for our cruise in August. We are counting the days!!!

I've never been impressed with quick service on either of the two ships we've been on or anything we've eaten at any of the parks (both DL and WDW).

Any highlights of your trip or other tips? We're getting seriously excited for our cruise in August. We are counting the days!!!

Highlights?! Do you have time? :jester: Don't know if you've cruised Disney before. Please excuse the general info, if you have.

Fav Mems: Lounging on the upper deck, mid ship, as the ship slowly cruised down a tiny narrow strait of some Alaskan waterway (Tracy Arm) -looks so surreal, like you can reach out and touch the mountains on BOTH sides. The views are breath-taking!! The velvety green spruce, red cedar and pine tree covered mountains, tall and majestic -some with natural waterfalls of melted ice cascading down. The servers were impeccable. I wondered if there was some type of ongoing contest to see which department would get the highest ratings at the end of week (guest survey). They were great! Dining room meals A+++ on variety, flavor and presentation!

Tips: Per captain's orders, "DRESS LIKE AN ONION". I was fine with a hooded jersey, fleece Old Navy jacket and scarf -wish I had a waterproof shell. Some rain and cold first 2 days, but surprisingly short-pants-warm in Ketchikan. I enjoyed breakfast in the dining rooms "Parrot's Cay" or "Triton's" as opposed to the over-crowded buffet style on 9th floor "Beach Blanket Buffet". My nephews (12 & 17) were immersed in their youth clubs -didn't even want to sit with the adults at dinner -or any other time for that matter! :charac2: We love photos, they're pricey! If I had smaller kids onboard, I'd budget for the unlimited All-Digital-Photos CD. Lines were long for characters, but I saw some showings were late in the eve 10PMish. My teens took some really nice closeup "selfies" with several characters on their cellphones for some great close up shots -free.

We did excursions 2 out of the 3 days at port. WE really enjoyed relaxing on a near empty ship on one of the days. The adult 18+ areas are nice. I've seen crew "card" a few young looking adults. We LOVE to watch Disney movies on the big outdoor screen; wish I'd packed a few stadium blankets. The fleece blankets the ship offers are nice, but thin. Hopefully, August will bring better weather. Anything else? Please just ask. Ooooooooh, I so envy you!

Highlights?! Do you have time? :jester: Don't know if you've cruised Disney before. Please excuse the general info, if you have.

Fav Mems: Lounging on the upper deck, mid ship, as the ship slowly cruised down a tiny narrow strait of some Alaskan waterway (Tracy Arm) -looks so surreal, like you can reach out and touch the mountains on BOTH sides. The views are breath-taking!! The velvety green spruce, red cedar and pine tree covered mountains, tall and majestic -some with natural waterfalls of melted ice cascading down. The servers were impeccable. I wondered if there was some type of ongoing contest to see which department would get the highest ratings at the end of week (guest survey). They were great! Dining room meals A+++ on variety, flavor and presentation!

Tips: Per captain's orders, "DRESS LIKE AN ONION". I was fine with a hooded jersey, fleece Old Navy jacket and scarf -wish I had a waterproof shell. Some rain and cold first 2 days, but surprisingly short-pants-warm in Ketchikan. I enjoyed breakfast in the dining rooms "Parrot's Cay" or "Triton's" as opposed to the over-crowded buffet style on 9th floor "Beach Blanket Buffet". My nephews (12 & 17) were immersed in their youth clubs -didn't even want to sit with the adults at dinner -or any other time for that matter! :charac2: We love photos, they're pricey! If I had smaller kids onboard, I'd budget for the unlimited All-Digital-Photos CD. Lines were long for characters, but I saw some showings were late in the eve 10PMish. My teens took some really nice closeup "selfies" with several characters on their cellphones for some great close up shots -free.

We did excursions 2 out of the 3 days at port. WE really enjoyed relaxing on a near empty ship on one of the days. The adult 18+ areas are nice. I've seen crew "card" a few young looking adults. We LOVE to watch Disney movies on the big outdoor screen; wish I'd packed a few stadium blankets. The fleece blankets the ship offers are nice, but thin. Hopefully, August will bring better weather. Anything else? Please just ask. Ooooooooh, I so envy you!

Sorry... looking at your signature, I see you have cruised Disney in the past.

In my opinion I wouldn't complain about the soft pretzels because I went on a cruise on the fantasy and they didn't have them for free. They wanted to charge me!!!! I was devastated!!!! This might sound crazy but the soft pretzels on the wonder would be a huge selling point for me to sail on that ship over the others if the itinerary is the same.

REALLY?!! Was this a recent cruise?

Thanks! Yes, we've cruised before, but Alaska is a whole other beast. :)

Good tip about the blanket. We'll have to see if we can squeeze one in. I have some of those vacuum bags so I'm thinking I can jam in a blanket with the coats.

I'm with you 100% on the sit down breakfast (and lunch) as opposed to buffet. Food cooked to order just tastes better, in my opinion (especially eggs) and I find the buffet to be stressful at times. Everyone is elbow to elbow trying to grab this or that. I just enjoy being waited upon on my vacation!!

I totally scored a nice rain shell at Kohl's on clearance a couple of months ago. It's been raining non-stop here in Texas so it's been handy, but I'm also looking forward to having it in Alaska! My DD has a rain coat, but it's more of the rubbery type and I'm wondering if something thinner and more packable might be good. On the other hand, I don't know if I can spend more money on this trip!

Thank you for your report! This makes me relieved because I've been hearing some people saying the service on the wonder has been sub-par.
We're going on the EBPC this fall and I'm worried about the service slacking since it's the last before the big refurbishment.

Did you go to pirate night at all?
How was the frozen party? Did you get to meet olaf in person or was he only on screen?

I'm so happy to hear that a veteran thought the service was great; we were on the first sailing (May 23rd) and were first time cruisers and we thought the service was fabulous. I have read a few places that experienced cruisers thought it had gone down and the food (in the dining rooms) had slipped but we loved everything about it and thought the service and food were top notch! We did eat at Pinocchio's a few times but it was just to grab a quick slice of pizza or a pretzel as a snack and thought it was ok (edible but not out of this world & did the trick) however I did discover on our last sea day back that the sweet pretzels were stuffed......so had I known that at the beginning I think I would have gotten a few more of those because I really enjoyed them :) I just started w/ my TR over on the TR forum & always love reading what others thought of the same trip!

Thank you for your report! This makes me relieved because I've been hearing some people saying the service on the wonder has been sub-par.
We're going on the EBPC this fall and I'm worried about the service slacking since it's the last before the big refurbishment.

Did you go to pirate night at all?
How was the frozen party? Did you get to meet olaf in person or was he only on screen?
We were on the May 29 cruise. The overall service was great and our dining team was fabulous.

There is no pirate night in Alaska; it is replaced by Freezing the Night Away. We went to the deck show and it was fun. In lieu of the pirate bandana, everyone receives snowflake necklaces that light up in their staterooms the night before (although it was still very light outside at the time of the party at 7:30 p.m.). Instead of fireworks there are fake snowflakes, which the kids really liked.

Olaf is with Anna and Elsa at the ticketed meet & greet onboard the ship, so you can meet him in person.

Olaf is with Anna and Elsa at the ticketed meet & greet onboard the ship, so you can meet him in person.
Oh gosh that is awesome!!! Thank you! Can we get autographs or is it just photos?

Ah I forgot about no pirate night. Sorry about that ^^;

Time to start saving my pennies, it sounds amazing. I keep thinking we'll try NCL for one of these more expensive cruises but I just can't bring myself to do it when I read this kind of glowing review. Glad you had such a great time.

Yes, the Fantasy started charging for pretzels late last year :( (they were still free when I cruised in early November, but became a charged item within weeks)

I don't think I even saw them anywhere on our Fantasy cruise in April. Where did they have them?

Yes, the Fantasy started charging for pretzels late last year :( (they were still free when I cruised in early November, but became a charged item within weeks)
I believe they only have a cost in the pub? The pretzels on the pool deck (when they have them) are still free. Or were, even after the new pub menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter