Just got back and disappointed...

TXmom2princesses

Earning My Ears
I have been planing our trip for a year and researching everything. I bought and read every book that everyone suggested I asked questions on here and lurked all through as many threads I could in a year. So I thought I was somewhat prepared...boy was I wrong. We stayed at the ASMFS and they were nice, but every other day something went wrong. Leaking shower, broken toliet, broken safe, and internet problems. The worst part of the trip is the parking lot tram ride to MK(we drove). People were so rude tripping other people and stampeding over small children just to get a ride on the tram. Disney has no system of lining up people in the parking lot, it's a free for all. The buses and trams are hardly set up for people with strollers, even though 75% people going have kids. The large tour groups are rude and believe they own the parks. They tie together not letting anyone by and if you happen to be in their way when they all go by chanting and dancing grab your children, because they will run right over them. People that arrive late to parades will pratically push their way on top of your shoulders to get in front of you. I was truly sad that it didn't feel as magical that I had dreamed about all these years. My daughters who are 5 and 3 were excited at the character dinners to meet everyone and to ride a couple of rides, but always asked when was it time to go swimming at the hotel. I felt so sad that all my life I had wanted to experience Disney World and it wasn't at all what I expected...where was all the magic...I am so sorry to say all the bad parts, its just how I was feeling. There were several neat rides and shows, but I'm not sure all of what we went through was worth it. Please tell me theres some secret to making it more magical that I don't know about!

The first time I went to WDW I could have written your post! I told dh that I'd never go back. But I did...lol. I went back AFTER they came up with Fastpasses (you should have seen it before!). And we never went back in the summer.

Since your kids are young, plan your next trip when the schools are back in session. A good time to go is NOT when there are any school holidays. So, like the the beginning of Sept is a good time, also the beginning of Jan is good. The only problem you would encounter is the weather.

With all of our trips now, we have each person choose 2 must-do attractions per day. We get to those, and everything else is just extra. Don't plan on seeing everything. You just can't.

We also like having the dining plan. With 2 young kids, the dining plan is only $10 per day for them. We like to schedule the meals with characters. It's a nice break from the hectic times at the parks, and the kids get to meet the characters, too. Then we don't feel we have to stand in those long lines in the parks to meet the characters.

If you can swing it, try for a monorail resort next time. You wouldn't believe the difference with getting to MK via monorail (or walking). It makes such a difference. You can actually head back in the afternoon for a swim without it taking over an hour! lol.

We don't like to schedule too many activities. I know I read some families' pretrip reports and they plan on doing EVERYTHING at WDW. From BBB to Dessert receptions, etc. That's just too much for us. We'll plan one special thing each trip (maybe), and that's that.

Another thing to look into is visiting Disneyland in California. It's not as overwhelming as WDW and our family actually enjoys it so much more than WDW. I bet your family would enjoy it there.

HTH

Reading your post you say you stayed at All Star Music, but you drove to MK - why? When you stay on park you can use the buses. One year we drove I found the trams to be a free for all, but the buses at least you stand in line and everyone waits their turn.

Problems with the room sounds like you need to write Disney a letter about your experience - did you catch any CM's names that helps when you complain.

People pushing their kids through to see the parade - that happens and unfortunatly you want to say 'hey your poor planning doesn't mean you get to ruin my child's time' When we've waited an hour for a parade only to have someone push their child in front of us, we turn to the parent and say I understand you want your child to see the parade, but don't be rude. He/she is welcome to sit with us, but not infront of us.

Trust me Disney is different everytime you go different times of the year. CM are morefrustrated during Christmas time and in the summer. People can be rude all times of the year, but it's how you handle it and remember you are on vacation and eventually this person will miss their bus and you'll be sitting on it in the air conditioning smiling!:)

I have been planing our trip for a year and researching everything. I bought and read every book that everyone suggested I asked questions on here and lurked all through as many threads I could in a year. So I thought I was somewhat prepared...boy was I wrong. We stayed at the ASMFS and they were nice, but every other day something went wrong. Leaking shower, broken toliet, broken safe, and internet problems. The worst part of the trip is the parking lot tram ride to MK(we drove). People were so rude tripping other people and stampeding over small children just to get a ride on the tram. Disney has no system of lining up people in the parking lot, it's a free for all. The buses and trams are hardly set up for people with strollers, even though 75% people going have kids. The large tour groups are rude and believe they own the parks. They tie together not letting anyone by and if you happen to be in their way when they all go by chanting and dancing grab your children, because they will run right over them. People that arrive late to parades will pratically push their way on top of your shoulders to get in front of you. I was truly sad that it didn't feel as magical that I had dreamed about all these years. My daughters who are 5 and 3 were excited at the character dinners to meet everyone and to ride a couple of rides, but always asked when was it time to go swimming at the hotel. I felt so sad that all my life I had wanted to experience Disney World and it wasn't at all what I expected...where was all the magic...I am so sorry to say all the bad parts, its just how I was feeling. There were several neat rides and shows, but I'm not sure all of what we went through was worth it. Please tell me theres some secret to making it more magical that I don't know about!

Hi, I'm so sorry you were disappointed!

What is ASMFS? Is that the All Star Movies? Out of curiosity, why did you drive instead of using the bus system?

We love WDW and I *try* to go during off times as I just can't deal with major crowds. Last year I got an annual pass and stayed at Grand Floridian (with the passholder discount..plus our family is 5 people so we were limited on where we can stay with 5 people)..it was amazing to be at a monorail resort. Even after our previous stay at AKL, I was just so fed up with the transportation and such. Well, staying at a monorail resort, my husband and I actually went to WDW for the first time and felt like we too were on vacation because we spent the majority of our time at MK and Epcot and it was so easy..stepping off the monorail and right into our resort made a huge difference for us. In terms of being more "magical"..it took some creative planning.
We just decided..well "I" decided....we will have to go to WDW more often because you simply cannot do it all/see it all in one trip. We get to a park right when it opens and maximize our touring and book it out of there by noon when it's really getting hot and busy. Stepping off the monorail and into the air conditioned resort immediately, has an "aaaaahhhhhh" feeling. It made a difference in my mood, which made a difference in my experience, and truthfully, probably that of my family!

This year we will be at the Poly and I hope we like it as much as Grand Floridian.

We will never drive there because I don't want to deal with the TTC..but that's just me and my severe crowd/confusion phobia!

It's overwhelming the first trip..but try to think of it this way. Your kids are YOUNG. Our two youngest were five and three their first trip, and they didn't even like it!!! We took them 2 years later and it was soooooo much more magical..and this year, one year later, they are even more excited!

Try to look at it that way..what will I do differently next time? For starters, I would recommend not going in the month of July. Try an off time for sure...if you must go in the summer, go the last week of August. I haven't personally been when all the big tour groups are there, but have been reading about it, and that would annoy me too.

Get a big piggy bank, decorate it, and start saving and dreaming and believe that the next trip will be super magical!

I learn something new each trip we plan!

Julie

The first time we went, my oldest were 2 and 4, and we stayed offsite (DH was there for work). Although they liked WDW, they preferred the pool. With children the ages of your children, definitely go when it's less crowded - I wish my oldest wasn't in JH, and I could still pull them from school. We've always just used the busses onsite.

sorry it was not as magical as you expected.

July/tour groups are the first two things we avoid..............too hot combined with too many people (many groups) is a nightmare in my mind....

My suggestion....choose a time when the majority of kids are IN school, your kids are little, you can go anytime and avoid both things you mentioned.

You reminded me ......
You know how you can buy the Best, Coolest, Most Expensive toy and yet your kid is more interested in the BOX, :rotfl2:
Thus goes the pool, especially for kids that Don't have one at home....but rather than feeling off put by that, cherish ANY lucky moment you have/had and enjoy the experience and family time as they grow so quickly. SO, who cares what you saw , if you were all together and had fun splashing together, so be it!

I hope you will be able to look back at your trip and recall some special memories, my experience says you will.
As far as rude people, unfortunately they are everywhere, not just Disney....and I agree, it is sad and annoying when some people feel "entitled" to everything...but Don't let them dictate your vacation by their awful behavior..... Personally, I try and ignore it as best as I can....

Again, sorry it was not as Magical as you had expected....I think sometimes it is so talked about, so discussed, SO magical, here on the DIS that maybe there is no way to Not feel let down a bit :confused3

Heres to making many more Happy Memories!!!

I have been to Disney, perhaps too many times since my first visit in 2001 at age 38 years old. I have seen the good, bad and the ugly. And I also believe that Disney is not for everyone, or always for young children. Disney is not a relaxing vacation when you go with children who as parents we are trying to make everything wonderful. It can be rush rush, and wait....long lines and rude people. I too have been victim to the over planning bug and have learned to go with the flow more. My advice for all that it is worth, is to try again when the children are older. Don't over read the blogs, and other peoples ideas because what makes other people happy wont always make you happy. Pick one or two must do's and then just enjoy the days you have at the park.

I also am a firm believer in park transportation. We have driven when not staying in the park and yes the trams are a death trap. At Mk we walked from the lot!!!

I am sorry you were disappointed in your vacation. Remember the fun you had and the looks on the childrens faces when they did see the Magic!!!

Heidi

Drive to the other parks if you want, but it's way easier to take the bus to MK.

I like not having to drive on vacation.

wow for a moment i thought you were at Disney Paris as this is what its like there .So sorry you had a bad time i went to Paris Disney in June & had a bad experience with French people pushing & shoving also .Also had this experience Universal in Califoria getting on Trams but always in Florida had a good experience so sorry.Im glad your daughters enjoy the::charactor:s cool1::cool1:

i am sorry you had a not so magical time. I hope it lives up to your dreams in the future. Like others have said, avoid July when groups are at their worse. I would also suggest you try the buses next time too. It is a bit easer then dealng with tram service. :hug:

The first time I went to WDW I could have written your post! I told dh that I'd never go back. But I did...lol. I went back AFTER they came up with Fastpasses (you should have seen it before!). And we never went back in the summer.

Since your kids are young, plan your next trip when the schools are back in session. A good time to go is NOT when there are any school holidays. So, like the the beginning of Sept is a good time, also the beginning of Jan is good. The only problem you would encounter is the weather.

With all of our trips now, we have each person choose 2 must-do attractions per day. We get to those, and everything else is just extra. Don't plan on seeing everything. You just can't.

We also like having the dining plan. With 2 young kids, the dining plan is only $10 per day for them. We like to schedule the meals with characters. It's a nice break from the hectic times at the parks, and the kids get to meet the characters, too. Then we don't feel we have to stand in those long lines in the parks to meet the characters.

If you can swing it, try for a monorail resort next time. You wouldn't believe the difference with getting to MK via monorail (or walking). It makes such a difference. You can actually head back in the afternoon for a swim without it taking over an hour! lol.

We don't like to schedule too many activities. I know I read some families' pretrip reports and they plan on doing EVERYTHING at WDW. From BBB to Dessert receptions, etc. That's just too much for us. We'll plan one special thing each trip (maybe), and that's that.

Another thing to look into is visiting Disneyland in California. It's not as overwhelming as WDW and our family actually enjoys it so much more than WDW. I bet your family would enjoy it there.

HTH[/QUOTE
Thanks so much for all your advice. I think I might try Disneyland in a couple of years when my girls are older, and maybe can walk on their own without a stroller. Where were all the nice people like you at the parks!

Reading your post you say you stayed at All Star Music, but you drove to MK - why? When you stay on park you can use the buses. One year we drove I found the trams to be a free for all, but the buses at least you stand in line and everyone waits their turn.

Problems with the room sounds like you need to write Disney a letter about your experience - did you catch any CM's names that helps when you complain.

People pushing their kids through to see the parade - that happens and unfortunatly you want to say 'hey your poor planning doesn't mean you get to ruin my child's time' When we've waited an hour for a parade only to have someone push their child in front of us, we turn to the parent and say I understand you want your child to see the parade, but don't be rude. He/she is welcome to sit with us, but not infront of us.

Trust me Disney is different everytime you go different times of the year. CM are morefrustrated during Christmas time and in the summer. People can be rude all times of the year, but it's how you handle it and remember you are on vacation and eventually this person will miss their bus and you'll be sitting on it in the air conditioning smiling!:)[/QUOTE
We took the bus the first time to MK and it was a horror story too. The tour groups were all in line with us, and took up the first bus. The next bus we got on was an older bus and the isles weren't very big. We have a side by side double stroller and it folds really good, but it still hardly would fit. We got so many dirty looks and people huffing about people taking up to much room that we just decided to drive ourselves the rest of the week. We tried the parade tactic we evengave some glow sticks to some kids next to ours, but it wasn't the kids it was the adults and teenagers without kids that were the big problems. Thanks your definetly right about the ac and maybe a letter to Disney would help me vent.
Hi, I'm so sorry you were disappointed!

What is ASMFS? Is that the All Star Movies? Out of curiosity, why did you drive instead of using the bus system?

We love WDW and I *try* to go during off times as I just can't deal with major crowds. Last year I got an annual pass and stayed at Grand Floridian (with the passholder discount..plus our family is 5 people so we were limited on where we can stay with 5 people)..it was amazing to be at a monorail resort. Even after our previous stay at AKL, I was just so fed up with the transportation and such. Well, staying at a monorail resort, my husband and I actually went to WDW for the first time and felt like we too were on vacation because we spent the majority of our time at MK and Epcot and it was so easy..stepping off the monorail and right into our resort made a huge difference for us. In terms of being more "magical"..it took some creative planning.
We just decided..well "I" decided....we will have to go to WDW more often because you simply cannot do it all/see it all in one trip. We get to a park right when it opens and maximize our touring and book it out of there by noon when it's really getting hot and busy. Stepping off the monorail and into the air conditioned resort immediately, has an "aaaaahhhhhh" feeling. It made a difference in my mood, which made a difference in my experience, and truthfully, probably that of my family!

This year we will be at the Poly and I hope we like it as much as Grand Floridian.

We will never drive there because I don't want to deal with the TTC..but that's just me and my severe crowd/confusion phobia!

It's overwhelming the first trip..but try to think of it this way. Your kids are YOUNG. Our two youngest were five and three their first trip, and they didn't even like it!!! We took them 2 years later and it was soooooo much more magical..and this year, one year later, they are even more excited!

Try to look at it that way..what will I do differently next time? For starters, I would recommend not going in the month of July. Try an off time for sure...if you must go in the summer, go the last week of August. I haven't personally been when all the big tour groups are there, but have been reading about it, and that would annoy me too.

Get a big piggy bank, decorate it, and start saving and dreaming and believe that the next trip will be super magical!

I learn something new each trip we plan!

Julie

Thanks so much Julie. ASMFS is All Star Music Family Suites. We tried the bus and it wasn't for us. A monorail resort does sound like a really good idea and off time is probably a better time to go. Maybe it was just so overwhelming the first time. The trick is to convince my husband to go back...

Unfortunately, the thing about the trams at TTC is something that has been posted on here a lot...especially lately. Anytime someone asks about driving or buses most people always advise to drive to EP, AK and DHS but take the bus to MK especially if you have a stroller.

A lot of people here have said that the trams are not really set up for strollers and that it is better to walk.
I have only been twice with strollers, once was with a family of 7 (5 kids ages 1-7) and once with a family of 6 (4 kids, 3 two year olds and a 4 yr old) and we satyed for 2 weeks both times and never had a problem on the busses.
The first time it was 3 adults, 5 kids and 2 strollers (a double and a single) and we took teh busses everywhere and had maybe one time where busses were a problem.
The second time 3 adults and 4 kids and 2 strollers (2 doubles) and we had no problems with the busses and if we did drive we just walked to the gate from our car.
I personally think that the busses are completeyl doable with strollers it just takes patience

My advice is next time, if you relaly dont like disney transportation that much and if your drive, than walk from your car to the gate

So sorry your trip was not as you had expected. I do have to agree that driving and taking the tram might have been a mistake. We have stayed in both the AS Movies and AS Music FS, both times took the bus everywhere.

When the kids were 7 and 12, yes we cut our visits to the parks short everyday because the kids wanted to go swimming, that is the age thing, just part of what I figured was the kids way of having fun and lets face it, that was the point of the trip.

Now we stayed in the ASMFS within the first year of them being offered and we had no problems, like one poster said, that is an issue to take up with the management.

As far as rude other guests, well do not go the week between Christmas and New Year, as the crowds are so heavy and if you did not enjoy the pushiness of the crowds, you most likely would not enjoy that time either. Do agree, go again, but do go when the rest of the kids are in school, must less crowds and by that you should have less rudeness. It does not matter where you go there will be rude people, Disney can do very little about some of that. Our first visit to WDW was off property and yes we did the tram, the one thing we learned was to park as far back as possible to be some of the first to get aboard. No I did not have to worry about strollers and stuff like that.

Again so sorry your trip was not what you had dreamed, hopefully you will give Disney another chance, and maybe take into consideration some of the tips you have gotten when planning your next visit. I must say, when we went at Christmas, I kept hearing about all the crowds and was prepared to face the bustle, because of this we left our resort to arrive at the park just after rope drop, the difference is amazing. No lines, not for the bus, not to get into the park and not for the attractions, and it would stay that way for about the first hour or so, then things would start to fill, but in the meantime we had a lot of peaceful fun, then we would leave the parks shortly after our dinner ADR and relax back at the resort while others were fighting their way thru the crowds.

I agree with most everything people said here. The best advice I have seen is to go at a different time of year. Go when it is much cooler and the crowds are gone. There are plenty of times to do this. November (avoiding thanksgiving!) and January are lovely times to go with kids this age. It is much less crowded, cooler, less waiting in lines, avoids most group tours, etc. September is also a good time to go, although still hot. Lots of people don't want to take their kids out of school right after school starts, so the parks tend to be much quieter (this is when we go!) This is why they offer the free dining deal.

Thanks everyone...I think in a few years we will try again when it's cooler and off season and we don't have a stroller. I'm still glad we went when my girls are still young enough to believe that all the princesses were real and that they all live in the parks...next time that little magic may not be with us. Thanks again for all the advice and opinions.

Really, when it's not hot and crowded, a stroller is not even an issue. We had no problem getting on and off the tram with a stroller. I think it's just a different vibe in July... not one I enjoy.

I agree -- with young kids, I'd definitely go in the off-season. Shorter lines, less crowds (I'm crowd-o-phobic anyway)...dare I say more magic?

I'm sorry you had a less than stellar visit. That must stink to have so much planning and anticipation and then get a letdown like that.

I'm sorry it had such rough spots! I think there are many people who plan alot and when they go they plan to get all of their money out of that vacation...at whatever cost!!! Our first time (2 years ago) we were shocked at how some of the parents behaved!! This time was great until we got these nice spots for the Electrical parade at MK. Then this family shoved in next to us and told their 3 or 4 kids to cram into a spot that maybe had room for two. So then, each time one of my girls would move...lift a leg up...whatever...the kids from the other family would look around then inch over a bit until they were all sitting comfortably, crossed leg and my kids where squished!! I was soooooo angry and then found myself acting less than "magical" telling my girls not to move or they would lose their spot...really, really, really loudly. And commenting...really, really, loudly to the other family with us about it!!!:rolleyes1

Not the best way to behave but I was just so angry!!! Don't let the yucky folks get you down!!! Our return this year was way better than our first time because we knew exactly what to expect (at least out of the people). The hotel stuff is something that you simply cannot predict!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter