just got back, 3/17 Wonder

tony_touch

Earning My Ears
Just got back from my March 17th-March 20th Disney Wonder Cruise. A little background...I'm a single guy in my late 20s. This was my first cruise ever, and I did the cruise with my friend who is a senior officer on the Wonder.

THURS: Arrived at Orlando Airport around 10:45 am, and was on the Wonder a little before 1 pm. It was bad weather- slight to moderate rain the entire day. I met up with my friend and threw my bags in his room (I slept on an air mattress on his floor, which wasn't that bad). I hit up the buffet lunch. Spent some time walking around the boat, which was definitely fun. Went to Cove Cafe for a frozen coffee. Went to Diversions to watch the NCAA Tournament for a while. It was kind of annoying that their satellite feed didn't show any commercials, halftime shows, or scores of other games, but I was happy to get the games at all.

My friend got off work and we ate dinner at Palo's at 7. Definitely a great meal- the filet and souffle were excellent! I'm surprised how empty Palo's was that night, but my friend said that was because parents don't like leaving their kids the first night. Then we went to the late Hercules Musical show. This was my favorite show by far- quite funny with plenty of pop culture jokes for older people. After the show we drank for a while at the Officers' Bar, and then went to a big St. Patricks Day party for the crew.

FRI: Woke up and went to Cafe Matisse in Nassau for lunch, which was good. My friend had to work so I took a cab to Atlantis and hung out there by myself all day. I kept walking around the property, got lost, and somehow ended up at the beach there (nobody asked me for a wristband or anything). Beautiful weather- low 80s and sunny.

Got back to the ship and hung out in the hot tub for a little while. Watched some more basketball at Diversions and had a tasty "BBC". Went to go see Golden Mickeys. Met up with my friend and had dinner at Animator's Palate, which I didn't really think was very good. Later that night we went to see the Pirates show and the fireworks display- it was a little windy but otherwise a beautiful night. Had some good french fries from the snack bar.

SAT: Got up around 10 and hit the breakfast buffet, which I thought was very good. It was wonderful to eat breakfast outdoors overlooking Castaway Cay. Another gorgeous day weather-wise. We went to the beach and stayed there pretty much the entire day. Played some volleyball. Had lunch at the buffet near Serenity Bay. Tip from my friend: try to eat at that buffet instead of the Cookies one. He said it's cooked fresh and tastier, and they had lobster when we were there. The island was totally beautiful.

Got back on the ship and spent some more time in Diversions and Cove Cafe (by the way, loved the guacamole and chips at Diversions!). Hung out on the deck as the ship sailed away and also got some sunset pictures. Met up with my friend and we had dinner in the Officers' Dining room. Then went to go see Disney Dreams. Finally spent a few hours in the Officers' Bar. My friend went to bed and I went on the deck to just relax for a little while- it was very windy but very cool to see the dark quiet ocean and stars.

SUN: Woke up at 9, ate at the breakfast buffet, and took a shuttle to the airport. Since I was traveling alone, I was obviously chosen for a Customs inspection!

Overall I had a great time! The bad weather on Thursday wasn't that big of a deal since the other days were so nice. My favorite parts of the weekend were relaxing on Castaway, and also spending outdoor time on Decks 9/10. It was really fun to just walk around aimlessly on these two decks during the morning, afternoon, and late night!
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away.

Sounds like you had a great time - and you got to see some places on the boat most of us don't get to see!

Julie :sunny:

Thanks for the post. Glad to hear you had a good time. Also, thanks for the tip about the food on Castaway Cay!

Glad to hear that you had a great time!!
Aren't you the one who had posted before asking advice on whether you should go or not because you were young and single?

Hi! I'm glad to hear that you had a great trip. I just had one quick question regarding th buffet near Serenity Bay, are children allowed there to eat.

Thanks again :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thanks for the trip report! We'll be going on the 4 Day Wonder in April & would love to try lunch at the buffet at Serenity Bay. Do they serve there the same time as Cookies & can our teens eat there? This will be our 4th Disney Cruise & we'd love to try a different lunch on Castaway Cay. Thanks for any info! Cathie & The Gang pirate:

I'm pretty sure the buffet at the adult beach is adults-only. I've never seen kids there.
Barb

UGAFan0829 said:
Glad to hear that you had a great time!!
Aren't you the one who had posted before asking advice on whether you should go or not because you were young and single?
Yeah...the one who's friend was the ship's doctor? If so, Glad to hear you decided to go!
Would you recommend it to other singles or at least single parents? (I am neither but getting another take on the flavor of the experience!) Did you meet a special person that made the trip that much more exciting? :love: Too personal to tell a stranger? Sorry! :rolleyes1
It was funny that you'd not like the satellite feed without commercials...I would think that would be a blessing...but I guess If you were missing information about other games happening at the same time...
Last question...Did you get a picture with Mickey?? :earsboy: If so, send it to your mom! I bet she'll love it! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter