• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Got a Call From Disney

nltroxell

Earning My Ears
I just got a call from Disney regarding our stay 7/21/08 - 7/29/08. We were scheduled to stay at FW but because they are starting renovations on the cabins on Monday we are being switch to a 2 bdr villa at SSR for the same AP rate that we had at the FW. I guess this is an upgrade! I will miss the location of the FW to MK and the peacocks but am excited about having the extra space and 2 bathrooms for my 4 dd's. I think they will be happy with the pool, also. Can anyone tell me about there experience at SSR.

We stayed there last September. We were supposed to stay at ASMo, but was upgraded for free. It was luxury. We stayed in Congress Park, and it was just a short walk to DTD. The Spring pool was great. The kids loved it. The rooms were spacious. We absolutely loved it. Congrats. I think you will have a wonderful time.

Although FW is charming, that is a great upgrade IMO. :thumbsup2 Lots more space, a whirlpool, washer/dryer, two full baths, three TVs. Have fun!

{Personal Opinion, only}
1) The room can be considered an upgrade due to the FW construction.
2) But, the overall resort would be a step-down.
3) There is just so much more to do at FW than at SSR.

Thanks for the replies. SSR looks like it is spread out like FW so does it have an the same type of bus system?

IMO, the only step-down for this is that you won't be near MK. Everything else will be great! I stayed at, I think it was, The Springs. It's the closest section to the main pool and building. They have a hot tub there (that was actually more of a luke-warm tub :lmao: , but it was still nice). I think that's a good location. I think it's the last section dropped off on the bus. I can't remember about pick-up; maybe the last one there as well? Someone else would know, but overall bus service was fine.

I had a 2BR villa also. It's really nice. Whirlpool tub and separate shower in the Master BR. Kitchen area. I think there's a DVD player in the living room area. Then a whole other bedroom and bath, which is like you would get with a regular hotel room. I was there with three of my friends, and it was very spacious.

It's a beautiful resort. Have fun!

{Personal Opinion, only}
1) The room can be considered an upgrade due to the FW construction.
2) But, the overall resort would be a step-down.
3) There is just so much more to do at FW than at SSR.

Not quite in agreement with the resort being a "step-down". The resort has more pools than FW and has many activities at the community hall. If you are really looking for a woodsy, camping atmosphere, then yes, it is not equal...I have been a dvc member since 1994 and would never think of any of the dvc resorts as step-downs. I have also stayed at FW in a cabin and really enjoyed the quiet calm of the campground. I wonder if you have stayed at any dvc resort to make the comparison.

Connears

I have stayed at the FW Cabins and we loved FW. I can understand someone saying they will miss that atmosphere, it is unique and wonderful.
BUT - I think a SSR 2 Bedroom is an upgrade too. OP IMO you need to prepare yourself for a differnt kind of vacation. This will be more like staying in a resort area Condo than a campground.
The units are beautiful and spacious. The whirlpool tub is wonderful and having a washer and dryer in the unit is so convenient. Although we don't cook full meals while on vacation, we loved having the kitchen. We ordered groceries from wegoshop.com and had them delivered to our Villa. Their service was suberb!!! We had breakfast foods, juice, water, soda, beer, wine, cheese and crackers and snacks. The cost was the actual cost of the food plus a &17 delivery fee. We easily saved that over shopping in the Disney shop. It is definitely something to consider in the Villa.
Congratulations and have a Wonderful Trip.

Beware! You could get spoiled. Many people have found this type of thing leads to addiction,followed by a DVC membership.:lmao:

There is indeed a DVD player in the living room. Maybe in the second BR as well? Anyone know?

I agree that there are tons of activities at SSR. It's just different than FW.

The buses make a loop. They start at the Grandstand and then go to the other areas before heading off to a park. And there's a boat to DTD as well as two walking paths to it.

:goodvibes You are going to have a wonderful vacation - this is a very, very , very nice upgrade :thumbsup2

Next stop ---- DVC membership ---- once you drink the kool-aid you'll be hooked ;) ;)

Glad to see others with similar outlook on SSR...thanks to all the dvc members putting in their take...can't see not having a good time! Have fun!

Maybe we'll have a new dvc member after...

Connears

OMGosh, being moved from a cabin at FW to a 2-bedroom villa at SSR is a HUGE upgrade in my opinion!!! :thumbsup2 I would be doing the happy dance if I were you. That is awesome!!!! :cool1: :banana:

Wow what a great upgrade:cool1:

I think you will be wowed by SSR compared to FW. They have a community hall with organized stuff.....or go and play games at any time.

Great pool area....blows FW out of the water....fun pool slide...zero entry....Best CS IMO....amazing flatbreads.

2BR....careful....you will be spoiled;)

Walk to DTD....catch any bus to any resort for ADR's.
Happy planning.:goodvibes
Kerri

You will not believe the space you will have in the two bedroom. We tried a one bedroom last fall and we kept getting lost in the bathroom.:rotfl: Your DD's will love it-bathroom space is divided, separate rooms for bath/shower, sink and toilet. Also the washer/dryer is wonderful to have-don't overpack just wash clothes. The pool is great and we never had any problems with the bus. You also have the boat to DD which is a nice ride.

We were upgraded from ASMU to SSR last August. We were in a studio, you are going to love a 2BR. We stayed in the Grandstand section. It is the second closest area to the main building, but it is the first section on and off the bus. It has is own very nice pool and hot tub also. The Springs section is also very nice, but was the last on and off the bus. It was very busy when we were there and in the morning Springs guests always had to stand or sometimes didn't make it on the bus at all. I was glad we chose Grandstand. I hope you have a great time. :yay:

Since you were originally supposed to be staying at Fort Wilderness and now that your staying at Saratoga Springs, I would say that is a great upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter