Just found this board!

SusanB

Mouseketeer
Although I've been a frequent visitor and poster to Pete's site, I've been away from for awhile and just noticed this board. It's perfect timing for me, as I'll be traveling to Orlando on business in Dec and will visit WDW alone for the time. I've made 14 visits to WDW with my DD and really can't imagine what kind of trip it will be without her!
I've got this sinking feeling that I may very well be lonely in the happiest place on earth!! How do you combat that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I traveled alone once, and it was my very first airplane flight (even went through a
thunderstorm!) I didn't particularly care for being on my own, especially in a hotel
room, however that wasn't in Disney. Disney somehow seems safer to me and less scary.
Is there anyway u could bring someone along with you? (DD & another relative to watch her when u are on business?) Otherwise I would suggest seeing if anyone from the solo board will be there when u are so you can at least have someone to talk to during a meal. Be careful and be safe!

Hulabird

carib01a.gif

When will you be there in December, Susanb?

I suspect it's easy to fear the worst about being alone at Disney. But think back about going to places by yourself that are more geared for "groups". Like, for instance, going to the mall. Sure, it's fun to go with others and window shop and have coffee while you chat and watch the crowds go by. But what about the times that you've gone to the mall by yourself? You get to ditch into stores that you normally wouldn't if someone else were with you. You get to go at your own pace. You get to go your own speed through the music store, looking through every Boston CD (because no one else would waste their time doing this!). You get to go smell every type of hand cream in the bath store, even though you have no intent on buying any.

My point is, so it is at Disney by yourself. Admittedly, you must first like to be with yourself alone before you ever go. But I suspect the whole event is somewhat like going to, for example, the mall by yourself. While at first it doesn't sound like a fun event, but once you do it, you find it's pretty cool to get to go where you want when you want and have no one else dictating your schedule.

And like the "alone" mall trip, you get to do lots of people watching. At Disney, you'll get to watch other families and adorable children as they discover the Disney wonder and magic, as opposed to corraling your own children.

The fundamental, however, is you have to like being with yourself alone and being your own friend first. Then I think it's lots of fun and much easier.

Good luck!

What great advice - I really appreciate it! With your advice in mind, I think, no, I know, this is going to be a great trip! Thanks again!!

My situation wasn't exactly the same as yours, but a few years ago I went on a 2-week bus trip with my parents and one of our stops was Disney (off-site). Although I thoroughly enjoyed spending quality time with my parents, I missed my husband terribly. I did go to Disney with Dad & Mom but begged off going to EPCOT the next day. I just couldn't take seeing couples walking hand in hand another day, and not having my own hubby to do that with! :( I think if I was going to Disney alone, I would ask another relative or friend to go with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter