• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just curious--who here has had a Disney resort room that smelled really bad?

Ladyhawke10

Grand Floridian girl
Just wondering....we had this bad smell experience at the Boardwalk and I was wondering if this ever happened to anyone else at any of the other resorts. It hasn't happened to us at any of the other deluxes (or Port Orleans Riverside, where we stayed once), except that once at the Swan it was obvious the previous guest had smoked in the room.

As for the floating bad smell at the Boardwalk...maybe there is a guest who frequents the BWI on a fairly regular basis and that's what that is about??? :) Hmmm, just another theory!

A couple of years ago, I reported about a filthy and foul-smelling room at Coronado Springs. It was very musty. I've stayed there again without noticing any smell. Haven't stayed at BWI - sorry!

We had a really smelly room at Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside) back in December 1999. They brought in a machine to try and fix the odor but it didn't really help much. It was a nonsmoking room but had that sort of old cigarette smell in it.

Very smelly room!!! Even with the air purifier brought in by housekeeping...they say it is a phantom smell that moves about....lucky me that it moved to my room!!

Just curious, where were you located over the Boardwalk? Were you over the restaurants? I can't remember if we were on the fourth floor or not...I'm thinking we were on the second floor (it was spring break 2002) but we were over where Flying Fish was but directly up. Were you on that wing at BWI? I am planning on trying BWI's concierge next year, and I'm going to talk to Alana about avoiding the smell!!

Stayed at many different resorts, and never had a bad smell.

i stayed at the por last year had a mildew smell and a wet spot in the center of the carpet i stayed for ten days and it never dried must of been a crack in the floor

We've stayed in many rooms at Disney over the years and only had a bad smelling room one time at the old Dixie Landing, which now is POR. I really don't know what it was. They claimed they had cleaned the carpets, but it didn't smell that way to us. We asked to be moved and they told us there weren't any rooms left. This was a very short stay and we were leaving the next day. Late that night I walked around the resort and knew that there were plenty of empty rooms. I know, someone will say that they just weren't using them, but we complained three times arbout the odor and were not treated well at all. When we got home we wrote a letter, not a nasty letter, an informative letter stating that we felt we weren't treated right. They gave us back a 1/2 night's payment. We've never stayed there again.

We had a room at AKL that smelled like somebody had peed on the carpet. It was localized to a patch just inside the barrier between the vanity area and sleeping area. I don't recall the room number, however. It was along the Kudo trail on the second floor.

While I hate to admit it, we had the worst possible odiferous room at our beloved Polynesian. It was two years ago when concierge was temporarily housed in Tahiti. We were assigned the room location we requested, most westerly room, first floor (it would be the first room as you enter the west side of Tahiti.

This room smelled like a cat's litter box and that is no joke! The stench was terrible! We called maintenance and someone was dispatched immediately to tend to the odor. We left him to his work and, surprisingly, the room smelled a bit better when we returned. By the next a.m., however, the stench had returned--another call, more deionizing--smelled better, but still not great. . .you get the idea. We asked to be moved to a different room--no luck, everything in concierge was booked and we were stuck! It really did tick me off that year though because I paid to be in concierge and there were many, many folks upgraded to the service in order to fill the building (Tahiti is much larger than Hawaii). :mad:

We made the best of a pretty bad situation and, in fact, ran into a fellow DISer who inquired as to our room #. When we shared it, we were informed that her family had occupied the room earlier in their stay and demanded a move as well--lucky for her, there was somewhere to move her! She and I commiserated over the litter box room!

All of that said--I have never had a room at Polynesian (or anywhere for that matter) that smelled that horrid! Hopefully, it's been corrected--it was a much more serious situation than a little bit of condensation in the a/c unit--this was definitely something acrid within the walls or floors of the room.

Well I don't want to start some flamming thread again but at the Poly Tahiti building room 1002 smelled bad of a musty moldy smell. Asked to be moved and could not until next morning. We moved to Fiji and the room was great, no smell and wonderful view.

Originally posted by Tess
We made the best of a pretty bad situation and, in fact, ran into a fellow DISer who inquired as to our room #. When we shared it, we were informed that her family had occupied the room earlier in their stay and demanded a move as well--lucky for her, there was somewhere to move her! She and I commiserated over the litter box room!

This makes me feel better about the odiferous room at the Boardwalk! At least I don't feel as if we were singled out in our experience in being trapped in with a seriously bad smell. Our room was so beautiful but that couldn't disguise I had headaches after sleeping in it! I wonder what people do in them (and why!) to cause such an environment for other guests? (unless its room stuff, like something in the walls...I don't know!) It might be better to not rent out the room and switch people to another deluxe if there's a room that's everyone's begging to get out of and there are no other openings...
Sorry about the kitty litter room! Ours was cigar/ dead fish!!!
Thank goodness this RARELY happens and we can laugh about it :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter