Just curious - Disney Dining Plan

kristie64063

Mouseketeer
I was reading a different thread (about what would be your last straw, etc.) and a lot of people were saying that they'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see the DDP go. I've never used it, but think I would like it (especially if it was a free offer time), and I was just curious why others have this opinion of it? :confused3

Just curious! :)

kristie64063 said:
I was reading a different thread (about what would be your last straw, etc.) and a lot of people were saying that they'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see the DDP go. I've never used it, but think I would like it (especially if it was a free offer time), and I was just curious why others have this opinion of it? :confused3

Just curious! :)

People that were traditionally Disney foodies believe that it has resulted in the homogenization of the dining experiences and a general dumbing down of dining in the World. There is quite a bit of truth to that, I think. It also is what drives the 180 days out reservations, which many don't like, especially locals.

vicki_c said:
People that were traditionally Disney foodies believe that it has resulted in the homogenization of the dining experiences and a general dumbing down of dining in the World. There is quite a bit of truth to that, I think. It also is what drives the 180 days out reservations, which many don't like, especially locals.

Exactly! When you take the Dining plan you find yourself compelled to maximize your money, tending to overeating. The quality of the food available as suffered, as well as the variety. .

This really is obnoxious ... for those who don't research like crazy for their vacations (and a lot don't), they would never know they needed to book so far in advance, and it's kind of unfair. I definitely see that point!!

kristie64063 said:
This really is obnoxious ... for those who don't research like crazy for their vacations (and a lot don't), they would never know they needed to book so far in advance, and it's kind of unfair. I definitely see that point!!

Heck, we NEVER plan a trip 180 days out! This one I have now was under 90 for us!

Because food quality has one way downhill since it became so popular.Restaurants did away with some of their better dishes and better quality meats etc..Not to mention I need to book my dining 6 months in advance if I want to eat somewhere specific.I was once an avid dining plan user, but after my last visit using it ,I won't use it anymore.Unfortunately Disney dining without it is quite expensive. Almost $50 for an adult buffet is ridiculous

The ddp is not to blame for a perceived quality loss. Personally, I hven't seen that. Menus have been streamlined and some higher cost items have disappeared, but that has happened other places. The biggest change is that the restaurants are now full and are making money, neither of which was true before ddp. I have gotten ADRs less than 72 hours before going to the restaurant. I've changed ADRs just weeks before going. If I were a local, I would be less than thrilled with the difficulty of walking up, but there are almost always openings day of, just not the first choice for many. I have used ddp 7 times, both free and paid. And booking only a few months out, I always get everything that I want. But I don't want the castle or Le Cel.

We love the ddp! We have done it twice and it was so much relief for me in my planning. I am compulsive with budgeting and it was so nice not having to worry about paying for each meal. Since I am a compulsive planner I have always made my ADRs as soon as allowed. I can see where it would be frustrating for those who plan last minute trips though. The popular restaurants are hard enough to get into at the 180 mark!

If I'm going to spend the kind of money I've spent to go on a Disney vacation (or any vacation for that matter), I'd be failing myself and wasting a whole lot of time (and probably money). Not unfair, but that's my fault for not doing a little bit of research.

Last November, we went at the end of Jersey Week and we still managed to eat at CRT and several other popular restaurants. I didn't make the reservations until late August (with the exception of CRT, because I figured we were already going but we weren't 100% sure).

The 'free' dining plan isn't really free. It's a trade off with having to pay rack rate for your room. In evaluating the dining plan vs paying out of pocket, we determined that we would have money saved by paying OOP.

Okay, well, I never pay for the food, so I have no clue how this works, but I know we have the Deluxe Dining Plan. My mom is >crazy< over it, she just loves it to bits and pieces. And she loves her 'Tables in Wonderland' card as well. I always get a good laugh when she seems to have a minor heart attack when she can never find her TIW card in her purse. "Oh my God, I lost it- Oh.. Here it is.". That's what I hear at every dinner, and it's funny every time! Then my dad will make fun of her, and my little sister will laugh along, although she has no clue what's just happened that we're all laughing at half the time. Hah.

~AllThingsDisneyy Xx

The 'free' dining plan isn't really free. It's a trade off with having to pay rack rate for your room. In evaluating the dining plan vs paying out of pocket, we determined that we would have money saved by paying OOP.

I hear this a lot but I think I'm missing something.

I checked into a trip in December where they are having "free dining." The difference in price for us was about $500. If I get a pin, of which there is no guarantee, than I *might* be doing better than with the "free" dining. Otherwise, my dining is free, right?

Again, maybe I'm missing something.

My family loves the dining plan and we try to use it for most trips. Because we are DVC members, we have to pay for it OOP and we have noticed that it saves us money and gives us more food.

One has to remember why the dining plan and the 180 day reservation system came into play. The former because so many people were going off property or bringing their own food in and Disney was just leaving boatloads of cash on the table. I remember a trip when I was a kid where we went to the park, left and ate lunch off property, then went back that night. By having guests have their food prepaid for it forces them to stay on property and likely spend more money. More money does mean people get richer, but it also means that things like the Fantasyland Expansion are able to come to fruition.

As for the 180 day reservation system, there are pluses and minuses to it, but for the most part we are fine with it. I love the fact that everything is planned for the day, including where we will eat versus just winging it. One thing I would change about the ADR system is that it should only be 180 days for on site guests and 90 for off site. No offense to those staying off site, but in addition to EMH, I think this would ease a lot of frustrations for those who are staying on site. And while those who stay offsite will be paying the same amount for everything else this could be one of those "benefits" for the onproperty guests.

GreenCntryGirl said:

I checked into a trip in December where they are having "free dining." The difference in price for us was about $500. If I get a pin, of which there is no guarantee, than I *might* be doing better than with the "free" dining. Otherwise, my dining is free, right?

Or you might get a room discount if one is offered that would save you more than $500. It's free as in you're not paying for it, sure. But as stated, it may to be the best deal. Generally as your party size increases or the resort level decreases, free dining can be better than a room discount.

Free dining is just another type of discount.

In the past we always used the ddp in our travels to the world. We found out that we would order to much food and over eat. We now purchase the same in costs of the dinning plan and place on a Disney gift card. At the end we can save the card with extra money on it or purchase items in the park

I won't get into the ins and outs of the effects the plans have or haven't had. That's not my cup of tea. (I still don't believe that places wouldn't have streamlined without them, plus the fact that restaurants were sitting half empty before is actually a bad thing...but I digress).

The determination of whether or not a dining plan works for you in general is an important step in planning. This step can be simple "Nope, I don't like to dine that way" or complex "It looks like it'll work, so let's do a bunch of math", but it's still an important step. For me, the deluxe plan still works up through 2012. I have evaluated it each year that I decided to go for it, as it still makes sense. I'll do the same again though for 2013 (and I'm not holding out hope that it will ;)). Now, I am pretty complex when I do this, as I do the math out and compare to potential other plans, TiW, and OOP, accounting for how my habits may differ based on each plan I choose (e.g. If I were OOP, I'd do more CS and less TS, and order none of the CS desserts, that's taken into account). It works for me, but I also understand that it certainly doesn't work for everyone (either the plan structure, financials, or even just the effort it takes to make this level of comparison).

Now, free dining is a bit different. The concept is the same, but you have to account for potential room discounts in the mix. For me, I do it the same way that I do above, only I use the room discount as my cost (or DDP cost in the case of upgrading to DxDDP) for the plans. The math here changes based on several factors and it will either allow for much more leeway with the plan(s). For example, 2 adults in a moderate at $200/night may have a 20% discount. This would mean that they could get a combined discount of $40 per night. Therefore, their dining plan "cost" on FD is $20 per night each. With the plan normally being $51.54 (for 2012), this means they can get away with a lot more than someone else could paying full price for the plan. The same party, at a $500 per night room with 40% discount, would then be saving $200 per night, so the same plans would then cost $100 per night each, far greater than the actual costs of the plans and thus making FD for them (whether they're considering a plan or not) a much worse option.

Now, 2013 is a different beast. The QSDP has fallen off the cliff where normal families will likely lose money by taking it (outside of FD). DDP is getting close, if not there for your average family, and even the stubborn DxDDP took a leap toward said cliff with the huge price increases this year (~17.5% normal season adult).

I think the dining plan is a great idea. I will be using it for the first time next month. I booked the Premium Plan last week and have made all of my ADR's. I got everything I wanted except for Le Cellier. But I understand I might be able to do a walk up for that one. I was not able to get Chef Mickey's either, but I did get CRT, 1900 Park Fare and Tusker House. Also got HBD (Fantasmic Pkg), Fulton's, Boma and Spirit Of Aloha, Narcoosee's, Yachtsman's and others.

Yes, I will be eating big meals. But I have them separated by at least six hours. I have never done a dining plan before, and normally I would treat my self to one or two nice meals on a trip. Obviously I am going "all out" this time around, and I can't wait to get started.

jvptravels said:
I think the dining plan is a great idea. I will be using it for the first time next month. I booked the Premium Plan last week and have made all of my ADR's. I got everything I wanted except for Le Cellier. But I understand I might be able to do a walk up for that one. I was not able to get Chef Mickey's either, but I did get CRT, 1900 Park Fare and Tusker House. Also got HBD (Fantasmic Pkg), Fulton's, Boma and Spirit Of Aloha, Narcoosee's, Yachtsman's and others.

Yes, I will be eating big meals. But I have them separated by at least six hours. I have never done a dining plan before, and normally I would treat my self to one or two nice meals on a trip. Obviously I am going "all out" this time around, and I can't wait to get started.

We're on the Disney deluxe dining plan and have all of our ADRs booked as well. Really looking forward to some fantastic meals we wouldn't normally do either. My husband and I joke that we are doing an entire Disney trip around food :) We're going next month as well. Have a great trip!

In the beginning the DDP was worth it. As the price increases every year I find myself wondering how you could possibly save money on it anymore. It's nice for the convenience but not much of a money saver. On split stays we usually do the QS plan on the first part of the trip, mostly for the mugs.

It depends on how you eat, so your experiences will vary. If you eat what I consider normal-sized meals, and perhaps only 1 or 2 main meals a day with snacking in between then the DDP is not worth it, even when it is "free" with the higher room cost. If you eat a lot of food and 2+ meals per day then it might be worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter