• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have to add that I also have invisible disabilities (recently broke left arm) so I could only hold on with one arm. Still I stood ALOT -- it was a conscious decision because other people obviously needed the seats more than I did. On the few nights when I couldnt bear to stand (ran out of medicine, someone ran into my arm and it hurt bad, etc) DH and I waited for the next bus -- poor DH he stood almost every single bus trip we took. He refused to sit down unless every mother and child was sitting --- gosh I love that man!

I agree, allowing someone more in need of a seat to sit in 'your' seat is simple common manners, an example of the altruistic behavior that indicates an organism with higher intelligence, like dolphins, elephants and bonobos. I always will stand for someone who needs a seat, like someone carrying a heavy load (be it a backpack or kid) or someone obviously unable to stand or balance for an extended period of time.

Being a young person, (18) I usually don't even take a seat. I wouldn't expect someone to offer me a seat, even though I do get rather tired quickly because I am overweight, but thats my own fault so... anyway, it's easy to rant on this.

I say ignore rude people and continue having manners. It's what I do. ;)

This is one of the things that's so awesome about staying at SoG. I guarantee you that you wouldn't be standing on one of their buses.

Discipline = courtesy!

Honestly, I agree with Maxie. Busses are always coming, if you get on the steps and it looks like you will stand, but you "need" to sit, you really should wait for the next bus.

If I feel I need to sit, and after back surgery and with my age, I will only get on a bus, I can sit on, otherswise, my tail can back out of the bus (giving room to someone who can and wants to stand- the room) but not leaving me in a bad situation.

I am always in a hurry to get back to my room at the end of the day, but I do make sure my transport needs are met. My 2 cents-all can and should do this.
I don't understand...if you need to sit on the bus why would you then get off a bus to stand another 20 minutes to wait to sit on the next bus. In the amount of time you were standing waiting for the next bus you could be back at your resort on the full bus and still have stood for the same length of time.

Not trying to debate, I honestly don't understand.

ETA: There is also no guarantee that the next bus won't be as full as the prior.

Agree with original post. Can't believe that Maxiesmom would consider that rude, thought adults had better manners. Unfortunately it is that type of response that is exactly how kids are being raised today. I work in an elementary school and in this day and age even the kindergarten/1st graders don't have any respect for anyone and are rude. Unfortunately that behavior is learned from somewhere - the adults at home. Bet if the situation were reversed Maxiesmom would be looking for someone to give up the seat.

I agree with that statement -- a couple times DH waited for a less full bus because a super full bus with me standing = people running into, bumping into, or falling into my arm. Sometimes if I was already sore it was worth it to just wait for another bus that was less full -- less chance of people plowing into me.

Off topic but that gets to my other pet peeve -- I understand we are all busy and there are crowds and we are all trying to get somewhere --- but if you plow directly into me..... its polite to appologize. You know you did it, you felt it as well as I did.... and yet some people just looked at me. One guy in particular plowed right into my left arm (OW, OW) and then looked at me as if to say "get out of my way." LOL and then there is me, I appologize if I am even close to cutting someone off... not even touching them.

Okay vent over!

I don't understand...if you need to sit on the bus why would you then get off a bus to stand another 20 minutes to wait to sit on the next bus. In the amount of time you were standing waiting for the next bus you could be back at your resort on the full bus and still have stood for the same length of time.

Not trying to debate, I honestly don't understand.

I see your point, and would never think you were arguing. It's a good question. If I stand and the way those drivers drive and stop sometimes, if I'm holding on and standing the jerking can effect my fused spine and rods in my back, sitting is more safe for my condition. If I find standing, waiting on the next bus is too hard, I will sit on the ground to wait for the bus or leave my party in line and sit on a bench (only if there is room and no one needs the seat on the bench).

As for the Edit, if the next bus is full, and I feel it could hurt for me to stand, I will keep waiting. I have let my party go on without me, if they are ready to go. I'm a big girl and can wait on my own.

All I can say is as a mother of a small child, It is appreciated when one will let my daughter sit instead of me holding her.....I am a true believer in Karma and what comes around, goes around so everyone should think before they act because someday it might be you in need. Also as for the taxi, I usually don't have much cash on me especially at the end of the day and I doubt that the taxi service will take your room key for payment...

I can't control other people. But my husband and I can teach our son & daughter respect and manners. Hopefully they will learn from our example. We like to be nice...even when tired :)

This is a transportation issue, so I'm going to move it over to the transportation board.

But before I do, I want to remind everyone to please post respectfully. This is a topic that can get very heated, and while we will see opposing opinions, please do not direct attacks at your fellow posters.

I can't control other people. But my husband and I can teach our son & daughter respect and manners. Hopefully they will learn from our example. We like to be nice...even when tired :)

Couldn't have worded that better myself.

So maybe the entire point is....

If you can (physically) give up the seat, be Thankful to that person(s) giving up a seat(s)-a verbal thanks would be nice.

If you can't, so be it, don't judge (regardless the age or appearance of others).

If you keep a seat and are physically/mentally (and yes, this can play a roll) capable of giving up a seat-SHAME. If not capable (same scenario) don't let GREEDY people get you down.

Fair enough? Seems so to me....everyone will judge by what "they think" anyways.

Maybe it's b/c I am a mother, but I was really shocked at the amount of people who were "non accomodating" on the busses to mother's holding sleeping of small children. I also noticed alot of ignorance from visitors that I have NEVER noticed before. I mean a complete disregaurd to others. Ugh. Anyway, I normally DON't vent, but it frustrates me very much when an elderly person has to struggle to stand on a buss when a young couple is sitting comfortably.

I guess that maybe not everyone has the same respect and values for others....but i was upset, so i had to vent.

Yes i understand we are ALLLL tired at the end of the day, but take into consideration that not only is that mom EXHAUSTED from touring the world, but she probably had to carry the little one alot of the time, and now she's stuck trying to hold on to her child and the pole. Sheesh!

ok Im done!

I agree with you. I believe that more people need to give up their seats for mothers with small children and the elderly. Even though everyone is extremely tired at the end of a long day at the parks, people should stop thinking about themselves and be more considerate of mothers and the elderly.

In my typing i forgot to type (my brain said it my fingers forgot to type it) I am the FIRST person to say to anyone...you don't know if they are or aren't "disabled" and I use that term loosley..meaning , how would I know that the youndg lady sitting in front of me has a ru[ptured disc in her back and physically can not stand for that long...but I find it hard to believe that the WHOLE bus is filled with younger people with "invisible" issues. I am by NO means trying to stir up conflict, I am just sharing an observation, that more and more people are either no being taught care and curtosy(can't spell sorry) or that they just don't care. I am just shocked that was all...

I apologize if I offended anyone, that was not my objective, just sharing an opionon(again with the spelling lol) and observation.

In my typing i forgot to type (my brain said it my fingers forgot to type it) I am the FIRST person to say to anyone...you don't know if they are or aren't "disabled" and I use that term loosley..meaning , how would I know that the youndg lady sitting in front of me has a ru[ptured disc in her back and physically can not stand for that long...but I find it hard to believe that the WHOLE bus is filled with younger people with "invisible" issues. I am by NO means trying to stir up conflict, I am just sharing an observation, that more and more people are either no being taught care and curtosy(can't spell sorry) or that they just don't care. I am just shocked that was all...

I apologize if I offended anyone, that was not my objective, just sharing an opionon(again with the spelling lol) and observation.

You didn't offend me at all....I see what you are saying, but then again, you have to think like many others....I waited, I'm not giving my seat up. I've seen many folks in the past like me, wait for other buses just to get that seat, because for the most part they need it or they chose to wait for it, regardless of the conditions or reason.

I go into Disney, be it busses, to check in, or waiting for a ride......things fall as they may, I can accept it and be happy or wait for the opportunity that makes me happy and take it.

Example, I get to resort before check in, I can choose to wait in the long lone than or hit the park and check in later (which can result in a long line still or maybe even a longer line), same with rides, I can wait in line or try for a FP and come back later.

It really is about what you and your party can handle, and no one else should be accoutable for that action.

We chose to wait a few times this year, due to my problems with my back & hip). It's easy to stand and wait if I'm not bouncing around and being jerked around by the starts and stops of the bus. That said, there were times when my husband and/or son gave up their seat to someone else and most of the time my daughter sat on my lap to give up one seat.

But, there were times when we had already waited for one bus to pass on by and waited the extra 20-25 minutes for a second bus. I have to admit that when the second bus showed up, they were less likely to give up a seat unless the circumstances were (a) an elderly person, (b) a pregnant woman, or (c) someone of either gender carrying a small child. There were a couple of times that my husband didn't offer his seat to a woman who was of youngish years who neither held a child or looked overly tired. He reasoned that we chose to wait, others could as well. At first, I was really irritated and embarrassed by it, but quite frankly, he was right - within reason, most could wait if they didn't want to stand. :)

Other times, anyone seeing him sitting when one older couple were standing nearby would have thought we were incredibly rude and heartless. However, they were actually offended by the offer and told him to keep his seat they weren't dead yet.

So, I guess all I'm saying is that sometimes you can't win no matter what. :confused3

As an able-bodied 41-year-old man, I give up my seat for someone else. I do this not only because it is good manners, but also because the best way for me to teach manners to my kids is to model that behavior for them ... more so than hearing my words, they will learn life lessons by observing my actions.

OK, so now you know what I DO ... however, I FEEL very differently.

It is the HEIGHT of self-centeredness and rudeness to get onto a bus KNOWING that there are no seats remaining and that you expect someone else to stand so that you can sit. It's just plain rude to feel that entitled. It is ill-mannered to EXPECT a favor ... it's great to receive one, but to EXPECT it and feel wronged when it isn't granted? Just plain self-centered and rude.

Like I said, if I see a lady with a baby standing, I'll immediately offer my seat to her. I won't wait for her to give me "that look" ... I'll get her attention and offer it to her.

She has my assistance ... but she does NOT have my respect if she EXPECTS my seat ... in that case, she's just rude.

On numerous occasions, I've held my family back from boarding a SRO bus, electing to be first in line for the next one; we just step aside and tell the people behind us to go ahead of us. If I want my small kids to have their own seats, since I believe it unsafe for them to stand, then I will damn well MAKE SURE they have seats, rather than entrusting their safety to the kindness of strangers. The only people responsible for keeping my kids safe are my wife and me. If I DEPEND on others and HOPE that they will comply and help me keep my kids safe (by offering them seats), then I am being a bad parent because I am entrusting my kids' safety to HOPING that someone else will be nice, rather than ENSURING their safety by waiting a few minutes for the next bus. Been there, done that.

I know I'm using strong language, but also remember that I will offer up my seat without being asked ... but if the person who gets on an SRO bus EXPECTS me to give them their seat (versus is hopeful and appreciative), that person still gets my seat, but loses my respect.

As an able-bodied 41-year-old man, I give up my seat for someone else. I do this not only because it is good manners, but also because the best way for me to teach manners to my kids is to model that behavior for them ... more so than hearing my words, they will learn life lessons by observing my actions.

OK, so now you know what I DO ... however, I FEEL very differently.

It is the HEIGHT of self-centeredness and rudeness to get onto a bus KNOWING that there are no seats remaining and that you expect someone else to stand so that you can sit. It's just plain rude to feel that entitled. It is ill-mannered to EXPECT a favor ... it's great to receive one, but to EXPECT it and feel wronged when it isn't granted? Just plain self-centered and rude.

Like I said, if I see a lady with a baby standing, I'll immediately offer my seat to her. I won't wait for her to give me "that look" ... I'll get her attention and offer it to her.

She has my assistance ... but she does NOT have my respect if she EXPECTS my seat ... in that case, she's just rude.

On numerous occasions, I've held my family back from boarding a SRO bus, electing to be first in line for the next one; we just step aside and tell the people behind us to go ahead of us. If I want my small kids to have their own seats, since I believe it unsafe for them to stand, then I will damn well MAKE SURE they have seats, rather than entrusting their safety to the kindness of strangers. The only people responsible for keeping my kids safe are my wife and me. If I DEPEND on others and HOPE that they will comply and help me keep my kids safe (by offering them seats), then I am being a bad parent because I am entrusting my kids' safety to HOPING that someone else will be nice, rather than ENSURING their safety by waiting a few minutes for the next bus. Been there, done that.

I know I'm using strong language, but also remember that I will offer up my seat without being asked ... but if the person who gets on an SRO bus EXPECTS me to give them their seat (versus is hopeful and appreciative), that person still gets my seat, but loses my respect.
OT but are you on MHM too??? Unless someone on there has your same name!!! Cleverocks

In my OP, I never said that I was EXPECTING anything...I was meerly mentioning the fact that I had OBSERVED that people seem to be less caring and curtious to others lately. I remember in past trips that almost EVERYONE was as kind as you Eric and let up their seat for and elderly person and/or small children and/or mother with child etc. And just so we are clear, DISNEY even says on their recording on the bus to please kindly offer your seats to those guests with small children or guests needing more assistance.(I don't remember what they say exactly, someone please correct me if I am wrong) This was not a matter of getting on the bus/monorail and EXPECTING anything, It's a matter of the dissapearance of respect and kindness to others. EVeryone is entitled to their own opinons, that is the beauty of this board, we can all voice what we think is best or not. However, not just here or wdw, the world is lacking the kindness and compassion it once had for others....but that's a WHOLE nother can of worms, and thread :rotfl:

I just wish there was still the level of compassion that once was so much of the Disney Magic....

OT but are you on MHM too??? Unless someone on there has your same name!!! Cleverocks
I voluntarily bowed out of that forum. A moderator posted false and rude stuff about me (easily verified by searching my past posts, that I never said what she accused me of saying), refused to apologize, and the other Mods and administrator refused to even ask that Mod to retract what she said about me.

I know when I'm not welcome and I didn't want to be there anymore.
:hippie:

Anyway, I understand what you're saying ... you're wondering about and lamenting the apparent decline in "common courtesy." I get it.:goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter