Just Completed Disney Give a Day Today - Wilmington, NC

triplejoy

Earning My Ears
Our family of five participated in a volunteer activity today in Wilmington, NC. The charity was Angel Food Ministry. I wanted to report that there were 31 families in attendance and I think all were there because of the Disney GAD promotion. We signed up on-line on Jan 1st and 2nd and were scheduled for today. I will report back when we receive from Disney our e-mail coupon/pass. Disney indicates that we should receive notification within two weeks.

The reps for the charity told us afterwards that Disney originally alloted one million passes for this promotion, and they have already received over eight million requests/sign-ups for the promotion. We had a great time and were surprised at 31 families (125 ppl) who were there on January 9th.

Rick/triplejoy

I don't think disney is going to stop at 1 million. Maybe that was a guestamate from how many did the free birthday.

Hopefully it'll open up more opprotunities for these charities to get more help and support. Sometimes without some sort of incentive or easy way to find out what help is needed, it's hard to prove just how easy volunteering can be.
Just about every organization around here gets support from Disney, and Disney makes it extremly easy for cast member's to sign up to help out. Sometimes, sign ups can include the whole family.

I would be surprised if they really capped it at a million as well - especially if that happens quickly. Wouldn't it be better for Disney PR if they could report that they inspired millions of people to give a day of service?:goodvibes

I would be surprised if they really capped it at a million as well - especially if that happens quickly. Wouldn't it be better for Disney PR if they could report that they inspired millions of people to give a day of service?:goodvibes

Inspired? I think you mean paid!!!

There are countless corporations who pay their employees to help with various community projects.

There's nothing wrong with being paid to work for the common good.

There are paid staffs at all of the major "volunteer" organizations.
People have to make a living.

Doing volunteer work is a great thing.
If additional work in the same vein can be paid for by a corporation, that's just another way to get the job done.

One does not exclude the other.

What's wrong with Disney providing a little incentive for people to volunteer? From Disney's perspective, this is a great idea. They provide the first day ticket and a large portion of people I imagine will add on resort stays, additional days, food and souvenirs. In exchange some organizations get a helping hand and as a PP pointed out, it shows how easy it is to volunteer and perhaps some of those who did so for the GAD promotion will continue to do so because they want to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter