Just checked into Aulani...

Wishing you the best on your trip, Diane! After the recent dumping of snow, you must really be looking forward to fun in the sun. Have a wonderful time! ;)

Wishing you a wonderful Hawaiian vacation and lots of pixie dust! pixiedust:

Wishing you the best on your trip, Diane! After the recent dumping of snow, you must really be looking forward to fun in the sun. Have a wonderful time! ;)

You are absolutely correct! I can't wait to bet out of here and get warmed up!

Have a great trip. We'll be checking in on February 23 for our own first stay at Aulani. Looking forward to your updates! My main question is whether the whales are still around!

When we were there a few weeks ago it appeared they had closed off part of the Ewa wing I thought due to the construction. There appeared to be no guests in the part of the wing where folks would be able to see most of the construction via their room/balcony.

It was actually the opposite -- the Waianae Building villas were not being used Jan. 18-25. The main construction is at the end of this wing and the construction sounds were reverberating throughout the building.

We were in the Ewa Wing on the 12th floor with an ocean view/Waikolohe Valley view room. We could see the construction and hear it, however it was neither an impediment upon our view or a detriment to our relaxation.

Neil

Here is our view from 1070 in Ewa tower.
DSC00101_zps647ab2ee.jpg

DSC00102_zps21160937.jpg

Today we went down to the end of the path beyond the Marriott timeshares and found the sea turtle lagoon. It's quite rocky, but we waded out onto the rocks and had sea turtles coming very close to us. BIG waves today both at Aulani and up on the North shore. I haven' uploaded the videos to my computer yet, but I got some great surfing video.

Just to clarify, it is indeed the Wainaea building that is closed on the end near the construction. The construction isn't a big problem at all.

Diane -

Did you notice that in addition to one tower being closed (they even pulled the lanai furniture while we were there), it seemed that the first floor units in Ewa weren't being used. One day we saw them drilling circle outlines into the concrete on those lanais and speculated that they're going to be putting up some type of gate in front of those units. We never asked if that was what they were doing, but it does make sense. If you have a kid on one of those rooms it's pretty easy to think they could get away from you in the Valley area and into a pool. I have to say, I do love the "clean" look of no fences or gates there though.

Hope you're having fun! It's 17 in MN today!

PS: You could still book a food tour, you know. It's so worth it! As soon as you register, they send you a whole list of restaurants to try on the different islands. I think they do them each day. Hawaiifoodtours.com

Here is our view from 1070 in Ewa tower.
DSC00101_zps647ab2ee.jpg

DSC00102_zps21160937.jpg

Today we went down to the end of the path beyond the Marriott timeshares and found the sea turtle lagoon. It's quite rocky, but we waded out onto the rocks and had sea turtles coming very close to us. BIG waves today both at Aulani and up on the North shore. I haven' uploaded the videos to my computer yet, but I got some great surfing video.

So are you in the long wing of the Ewa building (phase 3)?! Can't wait to hear more details....

We had the same view in November - just a few floors higher. Loved it!!! We really enjoyed the music each night just below us from the outdoor lounge. Have fun - I know we did. I would have been happy to just stay put at the resort every day (which we did for 3 days of 7), but we also enjoyed our rental car excursions to the north shore and around the island. We spent 2 mornings at Pearl Harbor (DH is retired Air Force). We will definately go back.

Diane -

Did you notice that in addition to one tower being closed (they even pulled the lanai furniture while we were there), it seemed that the first floor units in Ewa weren't being used. One day we saw them drilling circle outlines into the concrete on those lanais and speculated that they're going to be putting up some type of gate in front of those units. We never asked if that was what they were doing, but it does make sense. If you have a kid on one of those rooms it's pretty easy to think they could get away from you in the Valley area and into a pool. I have to say, I do love the "clean" look of no fences or gates there though.

Hope you're having fun! It's 17 in MN today!

PS: You could still book a food tour, you know. It's so worth it! As soon as you register, they send you a whole list of restaurants to try on the different islands. I think they do them each day. Hawaiifoodtours.com

Wianea building is closed with no furniture on any of the balconies, and they seem to be putting up railings on then first floor patios. Ewa tower first floor units don't have the railings. Only the 10th floor in Wianea has furniture. I assume that is the preview unit. The studio connected to our unit is empty, so it's not totally full here.

FYI, we had wonderful food at Makahiki last night. I think we'll try Ama Ama tonight or Sunday.

A special thank you to our DIS friend Jean!!! Such a pleasant unexpected surprise! Thank you, Jean!!!:thumbsup2

We are headed to the spa this afternoon.

Diane -

Sorry, I forgot to answer the rest of this. Ewa tower is all open, or at least appears to be. The first floor units still have no railings, but I do still see the circles. Wianea tower first floor units have holes drilled in the patios, and some already have railings installed. It looks like they are trying to protect the vegetation.

We have been sitting here trying to figure out which units are DVC and which are hotel. I couldn't figure it out, so I went down to the preview center this morning and asked. It turns out all but on small column of rooms that face the ocean are DVC rooms. That one small column of rooms is regular hotel rooms, but beyond that, all the rest of the hotel rooms face the island and parking.

So are you in the long wing of the Ewa building (phase 3)?! Can't wait to hear more details....

Yes, we are in the long portion of Ewa tower, but the first room closest to the forward facing tower.

Wianea building is closed with no furniture on any of the balconies, and they seem to be putting up railings on then first floor patios. Ewa tower first floor units don't have the railings. Only the 10th floor in Wianea has furniture. I assume that is the preview unit. The studio connected to our unit is empty, so it's not totally full here.

FYI, we had wonderful food at Makahiki last night. I think we'll try Ama Ama tonight or Sunday.

A special thank you to our DIS friend Jean!!! Such a pleasant unexpected surprise! Thank you, Jean!!!:thumbsup2

We are headed to the spa this afternoon.

Yes, we are in the long portion of Ewa tower, but the first room closest to the forward facing tower.

So is the resort as wonderful as most people seem to report it to be? Are you pleased? I am glad now that we ended up booking a full week there this summer before we hop to Maui. It will be fun to explore more of the island than what we've done in the past. I am looking forward to seeing the North Shore and the Turtle Bay area. Oh, and I want to take surf lessons! :rotfl: This will be my 5th trip so I figure I'm past due to at least give it a try!! Anxious to hear what you think of Ama Ama and if it's worth it.

Diane...

It looks like you got a great view, much better than the view I got. But at least I got refunded a bunch of points. I think I would have rather had the better view though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter