Just Came Back from OKW

luckytso

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
This was our first stay at OKW and we LOVED the resort. I was previously disappointed that I could not get any other DVC resorts or deluxe resorts for our 4 night stay.

But OKW completely exceeded our expectation.

The room is much larger than BWV (we had a 1-br).

We checked in on Friday 10/17 and the room was not ready. Went to AK and came back to room 6226. GREAT room and great location. So many towel animals throughout the room!!! On the 2nd floor which is the top floor with elevator access and is in such short walking distance to Hospitality House.

I called Housekeeping and told them that we don't need housekeeping for the first 2 nights (paid cash via CRO) and got a bunch of tide laundry detergents and coffee packs. I was told that when you stay on cash, you can get whatever # of laudry detergents and coffee as you like, but not when staying on points.

Went to Food and Wine and MNSSHP. Both were great. DH ate around the little stands and enjoyed many of the food that he tried. It was very crowded on 10/18 at F&W (first opening day) but afterwards though it was crowded, it was manageble.

We loved MNSSHP. Would definitely do it again in a heartbeat.

Our best meal was a lunch at Brown Derby, great service and great food.

Ate at Liberty Tree Tavern before the Halloween Party and it was a lot of fun seeing everyone including the characters dressed up.

Went to Basin at DD and bought some bath bombs. Can't figure out why people buy them. I dropped them off in the jaccuzi and no bubbles or anything. Kids got disappointed.

This afternoon before we left for the airport, we drove around OKW resort and I was amazed how big the resort is.

We love OKW and even the guests there were friendlier than at other resorts, people would say hi when they see you.

While at the airport waiting for our flight, I called MS and cancelled our ressie at VB for next April and changed it to WLV. We will have no park passes for that stay, but we decided that we don't need to go to VB, everything we need can be found at Disney World, with or without the parks!!!

Overall, we love the 1-br at the DVC resorts. I used to really like concierge service at Disny deluxe resorts, but now I am a convert of these 1-br units. The washer/dryer, the space, and the full kitchen (though we don't cook, it is nice to have the option).

I also asked MS to put us on the waitlist for a 2-br unit at either BCV or bWV for our upcoming New Year trip. No hope for this one though, especially for NYE.

Glad you enjoyed our home, and aren't you SO glad you joined DVC?

Hi,

Glad you had a good time!!

Allison an associate

Went to Basin at DD and bought some bath bombs. Can't figure out why people buy them. I dropped them off in the jaccuzi and no bubbles or anything. Kids got disappointed.
Oh, this is going to be a bummer here too ! We just bought several of these from Basin in mid August. We haven't had a chance to use them because our main bathroom is in the process of being remodeled and we are "tubless" at the moment, but my girls will be disappointed that there's no bubbles.

GREAT room and great location. So many towel animals throughout the room!!!
Gotta love that "Disney feeling" that some say OKW doesn't have. Glad to hear you had a very nice trip. We love celebrating Halloween at WDW---have done it in '99 and '01. Thanks for the report:earsgirl:

Sounds like you "got" the DVC experience! Thanks for the trip report and I hope you enjoy your upcoming trips.

It's not clear whether you've joined DVC or are just staying at the resorts. You might want to consider "jumping in" to DVC with the rest of us.

Pam,

We stayed there for 4 nights, 2 nights on cash and the second 2 nights on points. We did not have to move rooms but just go to the front desk to change the room key.

BTW, DH took our 5 year old, got on the OKW bus to go to MK to see Wishes the second time and said the bus ride was great. They were the only two on the bus. He absolutely loves Wishes and thinking about making a PS at California Grill one of these days so we can see it there sometimes.

How is the OKW bus service in general? Were they just lucky to get on the bus right away? We did see many busses coming and going but did not know if you are really sitting somewhere waiting, if it is still good most of the time.

But OKW completely exceeded our expectation.

The room is much larger than BWV (we had a 1-br).

May I add that VWL, BCV and the new SSR all have the same tiny units as BWV.

How is the OKW bus service in general? Were they just lucky to get on the bus right away? We did see many busses coming and going but did not know if you are really sitting somewhere waiting, if it is still good most of the time.
WE have always found the bus service to be just fine at OKW. That being said, I will say it was even better our last trip.

Hi LuckyTSO - thanks for the report!!! We are heading down for the F&WF this weekend and MNSSHP. One of these days we will be there at the same time and will have to meet up!

Staying at the Boardwalk for its excellent location to F&WF, but will have to try OKW one of these days.

We will be at BWV again in April, if it is the same week of school break - we will have to make plans to meet.

Enjoy!

Sheryl

Glad you enjoyed OKW so much. We first stayed there on a cash ressie in 1996. It cost a ton for a 2BR for a week, but it was worth it. It just blew us away. Then in 1997 we went to Disneyland Hotel and stayed in two adjoining rooms. Well, it wasn't long before we were on the phone and buying DVC over the phone! We tried to get OKW but it was sold out by 1998, so we went with BWV, and then bought an OKW resale in 2002. We have never regretted either purchase for even one minute. And sorry, Richy, I would not characterize the BWV rooms as "tiny". Smaller, but not "tiny". Your act is getting to be an old saw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter