Just bought a 1983 RV as our Poor Man's DVC

I think it sounds so cool....probably a lot of work,but you've got a pile of kids,so you're probably used to that!:rotfl2:
I wish I could convince my Dh to do it, and I love your name 'poor mans dvc'

No one seems to mind the older RV's, but you will get some serious RV envy when you go. I was very worried the first time we took our NTU RV (85 pace arrow) to the fort, but once your there everything is forgotten. Ours has and had some water damage. My DH is rerubbering the roof again, it just seems to want to leak around the vents. We have also started taking off paneling and trying to replace the damage. First owners just put more paneling over the damage, which covers up the ugly but not the musty. Good Luck!!! And can't wait to see you there.

I think Lowe's or Home Depot could make lots of money if they would install a few RV hookups for us to Park-Shop-Repair! Just to install shelving in 1 closet requires multiple 20 mile trips to closest Lowe's. Good luck with your repairs. I know you will enjoy many trips to the Fort!

We've got an old fixer upper too!! :goodvibes Bought it a few weeks after our family's first trip to Fort wilderness in Feb this year. We stayed at the cabins and I so fell in love with it there that now there is an RV in our driveway! We need to do the roof on ours- it doesn't leak but we don't want it to start. It's made of fiberglass- an old Pace Arrow. What do you guys use on the roofs and where do you find it?

Love your RV. Like a classic car. They just don't make things like they used to. When it's all fixed up it will be so special knowing you had a huge part in the restoration. Enjoy it and have fun at the fort. Do you have a trip planned?

Serenitygr: We have been removing all the old vents, including the vent/fan/light in the bathroom, fridge vent, and the cover on the AC. The old roof has been recoated so many times that the rubber is just peeling off and water is trapped between the layers. This is most obvious when you take the vent cover off and look down into the hole. The wood all around the sides has deteriorated from moisture. The beams seem fine, so we're removing all the old roof coating, replacing wood in the rotted spots where we need to and then recoating the whole roof with a new coat of elastomeric roof covering/sealant/whatever it's called :) They have it at Camping World.

Also, if you bought a Pace Arrow, we found out you can call Fleetwood and get the wiring and plumbing schematics.

Jonimce: Yes! We will be there 10/28 - 11/12, assuming I can get him all fixed up! :woohoo:

Serenitygr: We have been removing all the old vents, including the vent/fan/light in the bathroom, fridge vent, and the cover on the AC. The old roof has been recoated so many times that the rubber is just peeling off and water is trapped between the layers. This is most obvious when you take the vent cover off and look down into the hole. The wood all around the sides has deteriorated from moisture. The beams seem fine, so we're removing all the old roof coating, replacing wood in the rotted spots where we need to and then recoating the whole roof with a new coat of elastomeric roof covering/sealant/whatever it's called :) They have it at Camping World.

Also, if you bought a Pace Arrow, we found out you can call Fleetwood and get the wiring and plumbing schematics.

Jonimce: Yes! We will be there 10/28 - 11/12, assuming I can get him all fixed up! :woohoo:

That's great. Wish we were there then, I would love to see it. I'll settle for more photos.

Nice AuntBJ! Where in SC are you? We used to live in Hilton Head, now we're in okatie right off 95. We're gamecock fans too!

In Manning at exit 119. Less than a mile to 95 and we are on our way to the World.

I couldn't help but think when I saw your picture how good your motorhome would look with a big gamecock on the side!

So excited for you and your RV!! We talk about saving for one, every time we price a WDW vacation. We have one more planned trip next year, then I am saving for our own poor man's DVC, or DVC on wheels as the hubby calls them.

Love it! Can't wait to hear more updates and see more pics! Your post has me rethinking buying a new RV when I retire. My husband and I both love vintage so maybe that route is the way to go. An added plus...my husband did auto body repair for about 15 years and our son has 2 years of auto mechanics education and has been an electrician for the past 8 or 9 years. Don't know why we didn't think of it before! Anyway...soooo looking forward to more updates on Sully!

Would love to see some more pictures as you complete the rehab of your RV. I'm looking at some older campers on Craigslist, so would love to hear of your success with yours.

I think its great!! We remodeled an old '79 Glendale (Canadian company) that my MIL gave us and it was alot of fun. DH had to replace the roof inside as well as re-rubber the rooftop. We ended up selling it because it was so darn heavy to tow, and we do most of our camping in the ADK's, so the mountains were killing us. We have a pop up now but have been looking at lightweight TT's to upgrade, but like many others have said - you've got me rethinking buying new, cause I LOVE vintage! And - I hate payments, lol!
We have found that you can learn to do pretty much anything just by looking up videos on youtube. (Off topic but as an example - DH saved me $400 2 months ago by replacing a cracked LCD screen on my laptop.)
BTW...why not make it official and have Sully put on the side? Maybe there's legalities with it, but it'd be a cute customization. Good luck!!!

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! Our renovations have been put on hold for the moment because my 9 month old neice, Gwen was just diagnosed with kidney cancer. I have my other neice staying with us at the moment and we have been very busy adjusting to all the changes this has brought our way. Hopefully we'll adjust to our new normal and be back tearing out the walls in Sully's back bedroom in a couple of weeks. Thanks for all the encouragement.

wow this was nice to see!! I'm trying to talk my husband into selling his truck to buy a used RV. I said that I would love to get down to disney sometime this year if he does it :) BUt I would have to do repairs and stuff too.. I am soooo glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this!:cool1:

Wow! Sure admire you tackling the remodeling of Sulley :thumbsup2
But, having said that, there is NO way we would tackle something that huge! (Or even know where/how to start!)
Our best to you in your camping endeavors, especially at the Fort ;)
We have been camping there since they and the MK opened early '70's. Started out with a VW Camper, have had every imaginable trailer since then, and now on our second MH.
Used to tell our family we would not like a MH, but decided to try one, and now will have nothing else :woohoo:
We plan to be there end of Nov. so will miss seeing Sulley, but will look for pics when you have finished. Ouch, what a job that looks like it will be, but sounds like you have a knack for it, (plus hard work :))
Hope your dear little niece will be on the road to complete recovery soon - so tiny to have to go through that, although not easy at any age.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter