Just Booked Aulani, first timer ???S

melissa0927

Earning My Ears
We just cancelled out cruise on the Fantasy this November for Aulani, since we have already done the cruise and have been dreaming of Aulani.

We booked with points, but are not DVC members.

I have read that you can reserve activities at Aunties Beach House, how far out can you do this? how many activities? how do you access this? I do not see any place on the reservation to do this at this time.

PhotoPass - is it $99 for the entire stay? Can you purchase when you get home, or must everything be done before we come home?

We have a DVC pool garden studio, any room recommendations? We are just happy to be going , so any view is a good view for us!!

Any advice? pointers?

Thanks in advance!!

Go to the Aulani website, and you can register your child there. You do need your reservation number. I am not sure how far out you can request, but it does say to do it at least 48 hours before your arrival. I think I did our daughters registration about 2 months before we left. There are only a few activities you can sign up before hand. There is a description of them on the Aulani Website. There are activities going all day, and most of them you have to sign up for first thing in the morning on the day of the activity (though I would sign up for some activities before hand - just so something is reserved). I think you are guaranteed 2 activities by signing up beforehand.

As far as the Photo Pass. I am pretty sure you have to get it before you leave. There are certain photo pass pictures that you do not have a photopass card for (a lot of Auntie's Beach house activities, fish feeding at Rainbow Reef, pool parties, etc.) that you actually have to go to the photo pass desk and pick out your pictures from that specific event and have them added to a photopass card. I am not aware of any way to order the photopass pictures from Aulani except at their desk in the general store.

My wife and I stayed there in February and are looking to go back again sometime this year. Last time we were there was when it first opened 5 years ago and wasn't as popular as it is now.

Even though it was a little more run down than when we were first there it was still a magical place to be, both times we stayed in a Poolside Garden room and loved it! Especially the noise at night. Soo good to fall asleep too.

One major tip that both my wife and I insist upon is to not go anywhere with any expectation other than hopefully having a good time; Those who go to Aulani expecting it to be the greatest thing ever, as I've read on these forums, leave with a sense of wanting and not having their expectations met.

- We made a video tour of our room from february which can be found here.

If there is anything missing from your room (we didn't have a kettle/pot) don't hesitate to call room service... although it took us two phone calls to get what we were after.

- Make sure you have a car. Although the food at Aulani is great, it's expensive, even at the stores across the road. Within 5-10 minutes from Aulani you have a Target, Cinemas (2x consolidated and a regal) as well as a Costco, Walmart, Kmart, Safeway, Foodland, McDonalds, KFC, Dennys, Wendy's... you get the idea, theres heaps of options about.

The pull out couch is actually quite comfy... I snore most times, so i get kicked out of the bed a lot, so your kids will be fine in it.

- Basically, have a good time, all of Hawaii is a magical place, the people are friendly and are always willing to help.

Thanks so much for the information!!! The video was great!!

o to the Aulani website, and you can register your child there. You do need your reservation number. I am not sure how far out you can request, but it does say to do it at least 48 hours before your arrival. I think I did our daughters registration about 2 months before we left. There are only a few activities you can sign up before hand. There is a description of them on the Aulani Website. There are activities going all day, and most of them you have to sign up for first thing in the morning on the day of the activity (though I would sign up for some activities before hand - just so something is reserved). I think you are guaranteed 2 activities by signing up beforehand.
What activities did your kid s enjoy?

One major tip that both my wife and I insist upon is to not go anywhere with any expectation other than hopefully having a good time; Those who go to Aulani expecting it to be the greatest thing ever, as I've read on these forums, leave with a sense of wanting and not having their expectations met.

This is so true!

Can you elaborate on that? Our family is considering a stay at Aulani, because of the "Disney bubble" reasons - if Aulani is not as top-notch as WDW service... can you provide some examples please?
Our cousins bought DVC contracts in Aulani and have considered it a huge waste of money because they said, "It wasn't as advertised.", but they refused to elaborate.

Thanks!

Can you elaborate on that? Our family is considering a stay at Aulani, because of the "Disney bubble" reasons - if Aulani is not as top-notch as WDW service... can you provide some examples please?
Our cousins bought DVC contracts in Aulani and have considered it a huge waste of money because they said, "It wasn't as advertised.", but they refused to elaborate.

Thanks!

I think if you have not read @MarbleBob 's recent TR, you can see some great points highlighted regarding exactly this. He puts together a summary on the last page that is quite insightful.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/trip-report-16-days-in-hawaii-maui-oahu-and-aulani.3578030/

I have been around the boards for a bit, (2003 LOL) and I have noticed a pattern between the Aulani TRs and the Aulani DVC TRs. People seem to expect Auntys to be the same as the cruise daycare/kids clubs and it absolutely is not.

We have a DVC pool garden studio, any room recommendations? We are just happy to be going , so any view is a good view for us!!

I have no specific room suggestions, but we found the resort small enough where it was easy/convenient enough to walk anywhere we needed to. We were on the 5th floor of the Ewa tower. The Waianae tower is closer to the parking garage, spa, and Ulu Cafe. Ewa is closer to everything else. If you want to make a room request, the owner of the points you are using will need to call in and add the request to your reservation.

I believe what people are saying is that Aulani is not over the top Disney. There are subtle hints of Disney around, but other than the pool party with some characters, and character meet and greets at different times during the day, you will not have Disney in your face. Service is on par with other DVC resorts, but if you are expecting service like at some of the deluxe resorts at WDW or Disneyland, you will be disappointed. Hawaii is a place to explore, IMHO, and not sit around at a resort all day so I second other people recommending a car. We usually leave in the am to go exploring around the island and then arrive back at the resort late afternoon and then relax by the pool or take in the sunset from the beach. WE have never eaten at the resort except some items from around the pool. Prices are high even when compared to what you would get at WDW and there are many better options away from the resort. November is not an especially busy time in Hawaii unless you are going near Thanksgiving. Staff is attentive when it is not crowded and will carry on a conversation if you are interested.

First and foremost Aulani is a Hawaiian resort with distinct Disney touches throughout. As said above, you don't get Disney thrown in your face. It's a wonderful familiar place to be welcomed home after a day of adventuring, and there are adventures to be had there as well, such as the Menehune Trail which is probably (other than the characters who pop up every now and then) the most Disney thing about the place. As their not trying to create a Disney bubble as they do in the Parks and on the Cruise line you will notice things like Aunties and the Pool parties are a little watered down compared to the mainland and ship equivalents. Characters are about the resort, but not as much as they are on holiday there too! :p They want you to go out and explore the islands. And with that, being on the island, naturally things will be more expensive than what you would usually pay for at the parks so the value at times is a little spotty. But that's easy to get around with a car and some crafty couponing etc.

Photo Pass Tips:

Photos are $99 for "unlilmited" photos during your entire stay. The most I seen on a disk were 600 Photos, which took forever to Burn on to a CD it took 5 CD's.

Auntys Beach House complication:
If your children are at any of the ABH activities/events for example Keiki Hula or Stitch's Space Goo those photos can be viewed and added on your PP Card, at Photo Pass station in Kalepas. Which closes at 9pm. If your children will be attending many events at ABH. I suggest adding these photos to your card every day, not on the last day (Process takes forever). That means at the end of the day, visit the PP Station perhaps after dinner and add any photos to your Card. This process is the same for Aqua photos by a CM. Various times of the week a Water photographer will capture photos throughout the Lazy River, Beach, Pool Party and rainbow reef. If these photos are on your photo pass card, you will not be able to view them online (a way to get them online but very complicated and takes forever).

Character Dining:
You are unable to add the photos to your photopass card, unless you purchase the prints for $35. Character breakfast prints include a custom 6x8, mickey paper frame, 4- 4x6 (2 Poses). Character Dinner I believe is just the 6x8.

Best Places for a Photo:
Sunset on the Beach and Makaala (lobby pictures). Hands down these pictures are worth the price of the CD.

Finding Photographers:
Go to a Photo Pass Station, and have the CM Radio to see their whereabouts. You can even request one if a CM is not at an event. Most common areas are Sunset on the Beach and Stitch Statue.

*sadly crosses Aulani off the list* I want Hawaii, but I want it safely and all-inclusively within the "Disney bubble". :( Sad to hear that I would likely be a ball of fuss-budget complaints if we went... Because these "bad service and failed expectation" things that people are making note of, those are the Magical Pixie Dust moments on my vacation!

I definitely do NOT want to feel like my presence is an inconvenience for the staff - if they aren't interested in pampering me and making this vacation The Best Ever, first, why work in Hospitality and second, I will gladly give my money to a company who appreciates it. Clearly not Disney in Hawaii! :(

Having to wake up at insane hours to fight in line for a CHANCE for my child to participate in an activity? Worrying about whether or not there will be beach chairs, if people will steal my stuff and if the CM's are touching my belongings and taking my beach chair because I happened to be elsewhere, when I am paying the pricetag I am for this resort? Being told that there is concierge, but then not having the staff follow up at your cabana and take your food orders? Closing the kitchen and refusing to serve food? Pools and activities closing at ridiculously early hours? Being given "attitude" by CM's as they are at the tail-end of their shift? Being followed so that the CM's can clean up after you and then they can clock out? NO NO NO NO NO And lack of Dining Plan and a cash grab for Photos when it should just be Memory Maker?

Hawaii is stupidly expensive, so I do expect that hospitality staff should "up their attitude game" and be even more accommodating and welcoming to guests. Yes part of the delight is actually BEING in Hawaii, but if the locals treat you like an open wallet and want as little as possible to do with you other than the bare minimum that earns the cheque... why would I want to make their paycheque possible? I take it like this, if it's your mission to make my vacation AWESOME, then I will make you look AWESOME to your bosses, praise praise praise, but... if you treat me and my hard-earned money with little to no appreciation, your bosses' bosses will definitely hear about it. :( I had to force an attitude adjustment upon myself many times when I had to take a job I didn't like. But it was my JOB. I was welcome to find another, but while I worked in that role, basically worshipping customers was my Job and I got very good at it! So I don't tolerate or accept the lack of enthusiasm from front-end staff as I wasn't given that slack...

Ah well from what I understand, there are really only two companies I've encountered who have such a high standard of customer service - one is Disney, and one is the former employer I mentioned. And everyone thinks I'm outlandish and insane for expecting and demanding a high level of service. :( At WDW, it quickly became one of my favorite tools - It was so enjoyable to Tweet a Cast Compliment and have a response back in minutes! And Disney was very quick to fix any glitches in customer service that occurred along the way as long as we told them about it. Maybe we are just one of those squeaky wheels but I felt very taken care of during our WDW stay ; if Aulani can't even have problems resolved that multiple people I have read complained about, then Aulani doesn't care. And as soon as you don't care about ME, just my money, huh, funny... my money goes elsewhere...

Hmmmm. *off to research generic Hawaiian vacations now* I mean, if tour groups and locals are allowed to stroll right in and enjoy the non-inclusive resort, than what stops me from booking some fly-paper shack place and sauntering about the Aulani amenities? From what I read, not a whole lot! :(

*sadly crosses Aulani off the list* I want Hawaii, but I want it safely and all-inclusively within the "Disney bubble". :( Sad to hear that I would likely be a ball of fuss-budget complaints if we went... Because these "bad service and failed expectation" things that people are making note of, those are the Magical Pixie Dust moments on my vacation!

I definitely do NOT want to feel like my presence is an inconvenience for the staff - if they aren't interested in pampering me and making this vacation The Best Ever, first, why work in Hospitality and second, I will gladly give my money to a company who appreciates it. Clearly not Disney in Hawaii! :(

Having to wake up at insane hours to fight in line for a CHANCE for my child to participate in an activity? Worrying about whether or not there will be beach chairs, if people will steal my stuff and if the CM's are touching my belongings and taking my beach chair because I happened to be elsewhere, when I am paying the pricetag I am for this resort? Being told that there is concierge, but then not having the staff follow up at your cabana and take your food orders? Closing the kitchen and refusing to serve food? Pools and activities closing at ridiculously early hours? Being given "attitude" by CM's as they are at the tail-end of their shift? Being followed so that the CM's can clean up after you and then they can clock out? NO NO NO NO NO And lack of Dining Plan and a cash grab for Photos when it should just be Memory Maker?

Hawaii is stupidly expensive, so I do expect that hospitality staff should "up their attitude game" and be even more accommodating and welcoming to guests. Yes part of the delight is actually BEING in Hawaii, but if the locals treat you like an open wallet and want as little as possible to do with you other than the bare minimum that earns the cheque... why would I want to make their paycheque possible? I take it like this, if it's your mission to make my vacation AWESOME, then I will make you look AWESOME to your bosses, praise praise praise, but... if you treat me and my hard-earned money with little to no appreciation, your bosses' bosses will definitely hear about it. :( I had to force an attitude adjustment upon myself many times when I had to take a job I didn't like. But it was my JOB. I was welcome to find another, but while I worked in that role, basically worshipping customers was my Job and I got very good at it! So I don't tolerate or accept the lack of enthusiasm from front-end staff as I wasn't given that slack...

Ah well from what I understand, there are really only two companies I've encountered who have such a high standard of customer service - one is Disney, and one is the former employer I mentioned. And everyone thinks I'm outlandish and insane for expecting and demanding a high level of service. :( At WDW, it quickly became one of my favorite tools - It was so enjoyable to Tweet a Cast Compliment and have a response back in minutes! And Disney was very quick to fix any glitches in customer service that occurred along the way as long as we told them about it. Maybe we are just one of those squeaky wheels but I felt very taken care of during our WDW stay ; if Aulani can't even have problems resolved that multiple people I have read complained about, then Aulani doesn't care. And as soon as you don't care about ME, just my money, huh, funny... my money goes elsewhere...

Hmmmm. *off to research generic Hawaiian vacations now* I mean, if tour groups and locals are allowed to stroll right in and enjoy the non-inclusive resort, than what stops me from booking some fly-paper shack place and sauntering about the Aulani amenities? From what I read, not a whole lot! :(

Wow -you haven't even gone there and you are on a tirade from stuff you have read? If you took that approach then you never should have gone to WDW and definitely never do a cruise

Hate to tell you, but every beach on Oahu must allow public access. I suggest that if you don't want other people - local people (gasp) messing with your vacation then you go off to some bubble somewhere. Not hawaii. It's ok though. Hawaii doesn't want you either. Aulani isn't some high end resort. No one here looks at it that way. You want high end, go somewhere else. But if you want no locals then go to the moon or something.

You should cross vacations in general off your list. I can't imagine you have a good time traveling. Imagine what mood the airlines would put you in before you even arrived?

marcyleecorgan, if you do want to go to Hawaii, and the area of Aulani is appealing, you may want to look into the Marriott Ko Olina beach resort. I own there, and go every other year for 2 weeks (next summer I'm doing a month). I love the coves and Oahu, but the Marriott is much more spread out. I never once have gone down early at the crack of dawn just to reserve chairs. I always find a chair, and they patrol and put stickers on towels on unoccupied chairs, which are noted with the time. After an hour, the towels are removed (fair if you ask me). The grills are always available to use, always clean, and they have 3 grill areas with multiple grills each (I often grill for lunch and dinner). It's like home to us!

Otherwise, an all-inclusive may be a better vacation option! I just went to the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso in Mexico; oh my gosh it was wonderful! It is adult only, though, and I can't really recommend the other sections of the complex (way too crowded at the beach with lots of little kids, and since this was a ladies' trip, and I do love kids, I didn't want to be surrounded by them, LOL). The service was over the top amazing, 24 hour room service, good food and drinks). I'm already thinking of going back next summer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter