• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back with a "footwear in the Signature restaurants" report!

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
THis is always a hot topic, especially since the Disney dress guidelines do not specifically mention footwear. People are always asking if it's ok to wear flip-flops, sandals, tennis shoes, etc, so this trip Mrs U and I paid special attention to what people were actually wearing. We ate at Flying Fish, Narcoossee's, Citricos, California Grill, Il Mulino, and Yachtsman Steakhouse--which is a pretty fair representation of all the Signature spots.
First thing I will note is that at NO greeting podium did anyone even look at our feet--or the feet of anyone else. In fact, at some of the podiums, the greeters can't even see your feet. There was no attempt at any restaurant to screen footwear. The second observation is that we saw almost everything except bare feet or plain socks. Many people wore flip-flops and a good # of those were the simple rubber pool style things. Sandals also were in good numbers, along with sneakers and Crocs of assorted colors. We saw just 2 ladies in actual "heels" and only a few men with traditional string tie shoes. In fact, among the ladies there were more flip-flops and sandals than anything else.
Keep in mind that these are observations only--not any recommendations or suggestions from me on what people should wear to these restaurants. And for the record, I wore brown loafers--Mrs U wore sandals.

Thank you for your observations on "footwear". I cannot see myself wearing those rubber flip flops to a signature restaurant. Although I guess I tend to overdress!!! I enjoy dressing up when going out to a special dinner with the hubby.

Interesting. Some day I'll make it to one of those restaurants! ;) DH and I never seem to get away on our own without the kids! I do read these posts and dream sometimes of a meal without the kids.. in real clothes .. with real shoes on ... not just shorts and a tee! :woohoo:

Enjoyed the footwear report, Uncleromulus! How was your trip? Will you be treating us with your fine reviews?

That certainly is a great representation of the signature restaurants. We'll be dining at Citricos, CG and Flying Fish this month. We haven't been to Citricos in over a year. How was it?

Are you going to be doing reviews? I always look forward to them!
Did you eat at V&A's this trip?

I posted on a dress code thread a while back about a flip flop incident we had at Calif Grill in May 08. I had been wearing crocs that day when while watching the Beauty and the Beast show in DHS some sort of bug bite the side of my foot. It hurt and stung and the crocs kept rubbing against the spot. It was hot and nothing I put over the spot (bandaid, moleskin, etc) was staying on. I ended up buying socks to wear with the crocs-I know, bad look.

Anyway, that night for our Calif Gill dinner, the black flats I planned to wear rubbed the side of my bitten foot and were really painfull. Same with my sandals. The only foot wear that didin't touch it and felt good on my feet were black rubbber teva flip flops. So, that's what I wore. I had on khaki capris and a black tee-shirt with crystals shaped like a Mickey head I bought at Animal Kingdom-both within the dress code.

When we checked in I turned around and a woman standing there (in heels)with her husband looked directly down at my feet and rudely said (to her husband but loud enough that I could hear) "I though this was business causal." She made this disgusted face and looked away. I was really upset and my husband didn't hear it. I can say that my 3 kids were dressed better than her 2 kids, but I guess that really doens't matter. We had to ride up in the elevator with them and she practically bristled at that and wouldn't even look at us in the elevator.

While sitting at the bar, my husband told me that she was rude, and ugly, and bitter, and uptight, and a bunch of other things he could say to make me laugh and feel better. I was still a little upset that someone would just say something like that to a total stranger. I almost felt compelled to tell her about my bug bite. Anyway, if you ever see someone in rubber flip flops, there may be a good reason! :goodvibes

Did V&A's (as always). And Citrico's was good as always. Will have the reviews started by the end of the week.
NMW: I wouldn't worry about people like that lady. She would have definitely been in the minority the nite we ate at CG!!

Thanks for the report Uncle R!

NMW-Sorry that happened to you. What a miserable person she must have been! It's funny, because I personally do like it when people dress up a bit for signature dinners, but I don't pay attention to footwear. I guess everyone had their "thing" that bugs them, but we all need to realize that just because something is a pet peeve of ours, we aren't the fashion police and it is *our* problem, not theirs!

My opinion if your going to a Signature resturant people should do better than the avg flip flops. It's a nice resturant and I think you should respect what they ask an dress accordinaly.

I called on Saturday to make an ADR at JIKO, and the dress code has changed. It no longer mentions footwear at all. On the disney web site now it has the following.

Dress Code Guidelines:
Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.

NOT permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While t-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics are not acceptable

My opinion if your going to a Signature resturant people should do better than the avg flip flops. It's a nice resturant and I think you should respect what they ask an dress accordinaly.

a lot of people have foot problems, and as such, can only wear open shoes like that sometimes. Especially at Disney where there is so much walking and blisters and such are so easy to get. Not to mention, you may not have as many shoes with you on vacation to switch to a 'suitable' open, dressy pair.

a lot of people have foot problems, and as such, can only wear open shoes like that sometimes. Especially at Disney where there is so much walking and blisters and such are so easy to get. Not to mention, you may not have as many shoes with you on vacation to switch to a 'suitable' open, dressy pair.

Hey I understand that but I still don't think you should wear the same filp flops that your wear to the water park to a nice resturant. It just doesn't look nice in my opinion. There are nice inexpensive low/flat shoes that you can wear. Hey if it were up to me I would be in sneakers 24/7 which I am in 99.9 % of the time. Except when I went to Cali Grill, V & A , Narcoossee's & Citricos. It's rare for me in any heels but I respect what they ask after all it is a Signature Ress.

I have to say I think I committed some footwear infractions in August. :rolleyes1

I had a pair of very nice leather sandals with me, but EVERY time I put them on it would pour rain! :mad: They aren't waterproof sandals. So yes, I did end up wearing Teva sport sandals (not flip-flops) and Crocs to signature restaurants because it was too rainy to wear anything else. We were staying at SSR and did not have a rental car, so my feet got soaked pretty much every time we left the room.

We ate at CA Grill, Flying Fish, Citrico's, Narcoosee's, and Yachtsman. :)

Did V&A's (as always). And Citrico's was good as always. Will have the reviews started by the end of the week.
NMW: I wouldn't worry about people like that lady. She would have definitely been in the minority the nite we ate at CG!!

Looking forward to your reviews!!!!

Thanks for the response and looking forward to your reviews as always.

Thanks for the report Uncle R!

NMW-Sorry that happened to you. What a miserable person she must have been! It's funny, because I personally do like it when people dress up a bit for signature dinners, but I don't pay attention to footwear. I guess everyone had their "thing" that bugs them, but we all need to realize that just because something is a pet peeve of ours, we aren't the fashion police and it is *our* problem, not theirs!

I agree. NMW,:grouphug:

But there is no specific mention of footwear in the dress code and hasn't been for what...maybe two years now? The only thing prohibited in the past was flip flops but some people wore them anyway.

Not me though....can not stand the feel of them!:scared1:

I think any type of footwear is OK at Disney, although I think people should try and do a little better than dollar store beach flip flops at the Signature restaurants if possible - those things really don't give your feet any support and I don't see how anyone can walk in them all day compared to a croc, birk, teva or other more supportive casual shoes.

I think any type of footwear is OK at Disney, although I think people should try and do a little better than dollar store beach flip flops at the Signature restaurants if possible - those things really don't give your feet any support and I don't see how anyone can walk in them all day compared to a croc, birk, teva or other more supportive casual shoes.

I agree with you.

I just meant that there is nothing specific about footwear in the dress code. Still waiting to see a pair of cowboy boots.;)

Hey if it were up to me I would be in sneakers 24/7 which I am in 99.9 % of the time. Except when I went to Cali Grill, V & A , Narcoossee's & Citricos. It's rare for me in any heels but I respect what they ask after all it is a Signature Ress.

I don't understand :confused3 There is no footwear request or requirement. I don't own a pair of heels, or a dress for that matter, and haven't since I retired 7 years ago. I always dress nicely, and I always wear very nice sandals--regardless of where I go.

Hey I understand that but I still don't think you should wear the same filp flops that your wear to the water park to a nice resturant. It just doesn't look nice in my opinion. There are nice inexpensive low/flat shoes that you can wear. Hey if it were up to me I would be in sneakers 24/7 which I am in 99.9 % of the time. Except when I went to Cali Grill, V & A , Narcoossee's & Citricos. It's rare for me in any heels but I respect what they ask after all it is a Signature Ress.

Sneakers are not against the WDW signature dress code.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter