Just Back~WDW Vet's DLR Trip Observations

DeluxePrincess

DIS Veteran
First, let me just thank everyone on this board for the WEALTH of information! I found the info gained here more valuable than any other site out there.:wizard:

Hotel​
We stayed at the Grand Californian for 5 nights. Wow! This place is beautiful. I have heard the comparisons to Wilderness Lodge, but the GC wins hands down. The cast members were top notch. Upon check in, the CM offered us a choice of our standard room. She said we were assigned a room on the first floor with a patio, but it was not ready yet. She said we could accept a different room on the 6th floor that was ready, but did not have a patio/balcony. She showed us the rooms on the map. Thanks to my research here, I knew that some rooms go down endless hallways. The first floor room was one of those. I gladly accepted the 6 floor room that was just around the corner of the main lobby elevators. Housekeeping was excellent. Room was always ready by our 2pm afternoon break time. We were always greeted by a smiling, friendly cast member anywhere we went at this hotel. Disney magic at its best.:goodvibes Of course the main draw of the GC is the wonderful location! My feet were so tired by the end of the day, I couldn't imagine walking to the offsite hotels or waiting around for shuttles to pick us up.

We did the character breakfast buffet at Storytellers Cafe. Everyone enjoyed the food. The characters there weren't exactly our favorites ( Chip & Dale, Terk, Meeko, and 2 Brother Bear bears), but the interaction was good.

If you are debating about staying onsite, I found it well worth the price...especially at GC. We were able to attend 3 Magic Mornings and with summer crowds, those MMs were needed. We did Fantasyland to our heart's content with no waits. This allowed us to see the rest of the park easily.

Attractions​
I am love with Disneyland's Fantasyland!:love: It really makes WDW's version look bad. The area really resembles a charming little village which fits perfectly with the castle. I was not let down by the castle at all. It felt "right" for the area. DD and I spent lots of time on the teacups during the MMs. I love that the teacups were not covered. It really makes the colors and lanterns stand out. Just magical! I will be so disappointed to ride WDW's teacups again. It's just not the same.

Let me just say that if you could marry an attraction, Space Mountain and I would be hitched!:laughing: I heard that it was better here, but I had no idea just how good it would be! I hope and pray that WDW gets this version some day. The music, lighting, effects, and ride vehicle were amazing! I will only ride WDW's version once on a trip because it is just so uncomfortable and dated. We would head here towards the last 15 minutes of MM and were able to get a couple of rides in before the rest of the crowds entered.

DS3 loved the Monster Inc (which never had a line) and Casey Jr. rides the best. Yes, we had to be "Monkeys" several times. The cages aren't exactly comfortable but watching DS smiling ear to ear on this train made up for it.

DH took DD10 on Grizzly River Run a couple of times and proclaimed that this was his favorite ride. Said it was way better than Kali River Rapids at WDW. Staying at the GC is a bonus. We could just walk back to the hotel to change or rest after getting wet. It is so close!!

DD10 loved the Animation Academy. She is really interested in drawing and animation so this was right up her alley. She did a great job with the drawings. Mine were awful, but I loved how the CMs tried to say something positive about each drawing.:laughing:

Shows​
We really aren't big on standing around and waiting 2 hours for something so we only seen the night time shows from afar. I'm not sure why a Fast Pass is needed for the WOC. From our walks through the area during show time, the CMs seem to keep Fantasmic organized and orderly and there seems to be less space available there. We watched Fantasmic behind the crowds and it was nice, but I happen to be one that likes the Pocahontas scene at WDW's version. Plus, you get seats there. We never saw WOC, but we witnessed people in line for FastPasses and the lining up for showtime. It looked like nobody knew where to line up and CMs couldn't seem to give the crowd a straight answer about where to be. It would seem easier to just let the crowd stand on a first come first served basis a couple hours before showtime, like Fantasmic. We received 4 Fast Passes at the GC entrance that morning and gave those away to a family that was in the FP line later that evening. They were grateful and said we gave them a great spot for viewing.

The Aladdin show is AMAZING. The genie is hysterical and the magic carpet ride gave me goosebumps. It was really a Broadway caliber show. We sat in the first row of the second section of the orchestra. The Prince Ali parade was right in front of us and we were able to see the magic carpet ride without trouble. I highly recommend sitting in this area.

Weather​
It was so nice to tour a Disney park in the summer without the humidity! Bring a hoodie or sweater for early mornings and evenings. Despite the cool mornings and evenings, it was still warm enough for swimming in the afternoon. Not a drop of rain and no thunderstorms! Perfect!!

That's it for now. I still need to get back to the real world, unpack, and do laundry.:cool1: I thought this would be a once in a lifetime trip, but i don't know if I could stay away forever! My family loved Disneyland and I REALLY hope to be back someday.:yay:

Let me just say that if you could marry an attraction, Space Mountain and I would be hitched!

Glad to hear you had a good time at Disneyland. It really is just magical. I don't get those who dont' just love it.

I love SM too. It is amazing. There is something about the countdown at the beginning and then just zooming off into the star lite night, that just takes my breath away.

Did you do the walk thru in Sleeping Beauty's Castle? And visit Snow Whites Grotto? I think those are two special gems at Disneyland.

Thanks for the report back! :goodvibes

I love it when I see a WDW vet "get" all the right things about DLR. The only one you missed was World of Color. ;) But maybe next time we can convert you on that too!

DLR cannot compete with WDW on the resort-level aspects and total Disney immersion. But it makes up for this with better weather, shorter lines, concentrated rides and in many cases better rides.

Now if we can just figure out hot to get Off-Kilter and Mulch, Sweat & Shears to set up shop at DLR! :rolleyes1

Won't it be weird to go to Fantasyland MK, and see the nice expanded side, and the old side with the across the tracks feeling? While DL has a nice FL and it went untouched for so long in the MK is odd.

Welcome to the "real" Disneyland! I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip!

I agree with you about the GCH and about not standing around for 2 hours waiting to see a show.

When (notice I didn't say "if") you visit again you might want to check out Fantasmic Dessert Seating...it's a bit pricey, but not significant if you can manage the GCH price tag, and you get a lovely front and center seat, more delicious dessert than you can eat and a seat for the fireworks afterward! Truely magical!

Glad to see your report. I felt exactly, EXACTLY, the way you did on almost everything. I think Fantasyland at DL is amazing. It's my favorite part of the park other than mainstreet. I love dark rides. I love that old time feel. I absolutely love the teacups and open air. I actually prefer Sleepy's Castle to Cindy's. I wish you would have seen World of Color. It is really well done and is superior to Epcot's Illuminations is my opinion (I know they are totally different). Aladdin is wonderful and the best stage show of any Disney Park. I have to disagree on Fantasmic!. DL's version is superior in my opinion. The Peter Pan segment with the Sailing Ship Columbia and the new Dragon are completely stunning. I wish you could see Remember Dreams Come True fireworks as it is also superior to Wishes but then again I think Magical is superior to Wishes. Anyways glad you had a great time.

All these great summer reports about DL is getting me so excited about our trip to DL next July 2012:lovestruc

Did you walk up into Sleeping Beauty's Castle? And visit Snow Whites Grotto? I think those are two special gems at Disneyland.
DH took DD up into the castle while DS and I rode Casey Jr (again). They took pictures and it looked beautiful.:) We took lots of pictures together at Snow White's Grotto. Loved that wishing well!

The only one you missed was World of Color. ;) But maybe next time we can convert you on that too!
Yes, it has to be good if folks are willing to go through all the stress to see it!:laughing: Next time for sure! We opted to get in some Toy Story rides instead while the line was slightly shorter at a 25 minute wait.

Won't it be weird to go to Fantasyland MK, and see the nice expanded side, and the old side with the across the tracks feeling? While DL has a nice FL and it went untouched for so long in the MK is odd.
Yes, the old Fantasyland will really look strange next to the new expansion. Hope the new side makes up for it.

When (notice I didn't say "if") you visit again you might want to check out Fantasmic Dessert Seating...it's a bit pricey, but not significant if you can manage the GCH price tag, and you get a lovely front and center seat, more delicious dessert than you can eat and a seat for the fireworks afterward! Truely magical!
I looked into that but didn't book because I really didn't know where we would be on certain days. Looks like I will have to try that out next time.

I wish you would have seen World of Color. It is really well done and is superior to Epcot's Illuminations is my opinion (I know they are totally different).
In all my trips to WDW, I have yet to see Illuminations, unless you count seeing the high fireworks from your hotel balcony "seeing it".:laughing: We are the lazy "must have seats to enjoy show" family. We did see the Disneyland fireworks from the Smallworld area just because we happened to be over there. They were beautiful.

Ok, I thought in would explain why There are FPs for WOC and not Fantasmic! (Note this is just my opinion and is an educated guess based on facts)

The viewing area for Fantasmic has a capacity that is about double WOC. The viewing area for WOC is designed to handle FP, this can't be done with Fantasmic! At this time. By requiring everyone to have FP for WOC, it also makes it easier for Disney to sell dinning packages, which have an extremely high profit margin, allowing them to get a ROI much faster (I wouldn't be surprised if they have already made a profit).

Great report Deluxe Princess. :thumbsup2

First, let me just thank everyone on this board for the WEALTH of information! I found the info gained here more valuable than any other site out there.:wizard:

I agree. :3dglasses

Hotel​
We stayed at the Grand Californian for 5 nights. Wow! This place is beautiful. I have heard the comparisons to Wilderness Lodge, but the GC wins hands down.

I've compared it to a cross between the WL & the GF (even though i haven't stayed at either ;)). Would that be a fair description? 5 nights at the GCH....way to do DLR right DeluxePrincess. :thumbsup2

My feet were so tired by the end of the day, I couldn't imagine walking to the offsite hotels or waiting around for shuttles to pick us up.

Nothing beats the GCH.....but there are a dozen or so hotels that are a very short walk from DLR. I agree with the wonderfulness of not having to ride a stinkin' bus. :hippie:

If you are debating about staying onsite, I found it well worth the price...especially at GC. We were able to attend 3 Magic Mornings and with summer crowds, those MMs were needed. We did Fantasyland to our heart's content with no waits. This allowed us to see the rest of the park easily.

I agree that WDW vets who are first time DLR visitors.....or a guest who is making a "once in a decade" visit to Walt's park.....should really consider staying on site. Nothing beats the early morning at DL....& unlimited MMs give you more early mornings to enjoy DL in uncrowded bliss. :)

QUESTION: What time zone are you in.....was it easier to get going the first wo mornings? (assuming you're from the Central or Eastern zone).

& walking to the parks (& from the parks) thru DTD (or thru the side entrance of the GCH into DCA) from the on-site hotels is SO much better than schlepping on a bus. Plus, lots of WDW vets are into that "immersion" thing that is possible if staying on site at DLR.

But for those without the $$.....staying on Harbor (walking distance) is the next best thing. :hippie:

Attractions​
I am love with Disneyland's Fantasyland!:love: It really makes WDW's version look bad. The area really resembles a charming little village which fits perfectly with the castle. I was not let down by the castle at all. It felt "right" for the area.

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly MY feeling when I'm standing in the middle of Fantasyland. The feel of FL & the fantastic dark rides make me feel like i'm "home".

DD and I spent lots of time on the teacups during the MMs. I love that the teacups were not covered. It really makes the colors and lanterns stand out. Just magical!

I agree they're pretty (& a better feel both night & day than WDW)....but wait till your DS is 10-12 y/o. You won't be "loving" the teacups as much. :sick:

:lmao:

(Space Mountain) - We would head here towards the last 15 minutes of MM and were able to get a couple of rides in before the rest of the crowds entered.

Prior to Star Tours opening up, classic Disboard strategy (for many) would be to ride SM the last 10-15 min. of MM & then pick up a FP for later at :00. Good for you in discovering this bennie. :hippie:

DH took DD10 on Grizzly River Run a couple of times and proclaimed that this was his favorite ride. Said it was way better than Kali River Rapids at WDW. Staying at the GC is a bonus. We could just walk back to the hotel to change or rest after getting wet. It is so close!!

Thanks for posting this. I really don't think enough Diser's mention this fantastic "perk" of staying on site (especially at the GCH....but also the PP). When staying on-site....we ALWAYS ride Griz Rapids (sometimes twice) prior to our mid day break...if we get wet, no worries since we're in our room in less than 5 min.

:laundy:

The Aladdin show is AMAZING. The genie is hysterical and the magic carpet ride gave me goosebumps. It was really a Broadway caliber show. We sat in the first row of the second section of the orchestra. The Prince Ali parade was right in front of us and we were able to see the magic carpet ride without trouble. I highly recommend sitting in this area.

I completely agree. (i also like the front row of the mezzanine. :))

Weather​
It was so nice to tour a Disney park in the summer without the humidity! Bring a hoodie or sweater for early mornings and evenings. Despite the cool mornings and evenings, it was still warm enough for swimming in the afternoon. Not a drop of rain and no thunderstorms! Perfect!!

Every person from the Central & Eastern time zone should read this paragraph. Contemplate a summer visit to the resort in the swamp in Orlando.....then read this paragraph again. ;)

That's it for now. I still need to get back to the real world, unpack, and do laundry.:cool1: I thought this would be a once in a lifetime trip, but i don't know if I could stay away forever! My family loved Disneyland and I REALLY hope to be back someday.:yay:

Deluxe Princess......You really did Walt's Park "right". I'm guessing that you'll be one of many Disers here who will enjoy BOTH resorts over the years.....recognizing (& enjoying) the differences & many benefits of each. :thumbsup2

Thanks for posting....glad you had a good time.

:)

QUESTION: What time zone are you in.....was it easier to get going the first wo mornings? (assuming you're from the Central or Eastern zone).

Hound, we are on Eastern zone time and had no problem adjusting to the west coast times. We started our adventure with 3 nights in Las Vegas so we were ready to stay up late by the time Disney rolled around. However, I'm still kind of on West coast time:lmao:. It's harder to adjust back!

ETA-- I agree with your take on GCH being a cross between WL and GF! Perfectly stated.

Thanks for the report! We are planning on going to Disneyland for the first time next summer. Hoping to wait until Carsland opens up. I'm glad to see that you were not let down by Disneyland after going to WDW so many times.

What did you think of Downtown Disney? Where did you eat and what did you think of the food?

Great observations! :thumbsup2

I agree that the GCV are superior to the WLV. While the structures are similar, the rooms at the GCV are amazing. I found the WLV rooms to be very dated.

When we visited WDW for the first time, I was disappointed in it's Fantasyland. Disneyland's is so magical! Hoping the facelift will help.

What did you think of Downtown Disney? Where did you eat and what did you think of the food?

Loved Downtown Disney! Staying at the GCH really had me feeling like I was living in some perfect little Disney town! The Downtown Disney is practically attached to the GCH. Unlike WDW, you do not have to take a separate trek to make it over there.

My favorite things about Downtown Disney were bad for my waistline....Marceline's and the Cupcake store. We got daily treats from these delicious stores. I highly recommend the Raspberry White Chocolate cookie at Marceline's. Yummy! We also got a Minnie Apple that was really good. If you ask, they will pre-cut the apple for you so it is not as messy to eat and share. At the Cupcake Store, which is really a little kiosk in front of the movie theater, I had the Red Velvet Cupcake and it was wonderful. I definitely went with the motto that calories don't count at Disney!

At DTD, we ate at:
La Brea Bakery- The pizza was really good and big enough for 2 to share.

Rainforest Cafe- Standard RC food. I heard bad reviews, but we all enjoyed our meal and the service was great.

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen- Service was SLOW here. Our waiter just kind of joked about it taking so long for our entrees to come come (45 minutes). No apologies. During this long wait, our waiter basically ignored us. Never came to check if we needed more drinks. I wasn't impressed. Food was just ok.

In Disneyland we ate at:
Blue Bayou: Food and service were excellent! Thanks to the Dis, I made 11:30am reservations which put us next to the water. The place filled up quickly so if you want to try this place, put in for reservations. If getting a table next to the water is a priority, get the 11:30am seating! Would definitely eat here again.

Carnation Cafe: We had breakfast here and I really enjoyed the sights and sounds of Mainstreet while I enjoyed my Mickey waffle and coffee. Highly recommend!

I'm coming out to DL for a few days meeting up with my wife who will be on property for a conference in early August... Have never been to DL but been to WDW at least once a year since 1984...

I'm excited about it... My wife, not so much... I want to spend my 3 full days out there exploring the 2 parks...

Another WDW vet in love with DLR.:love: I am here now. KCMike, I am going to have to differ with you on the Illuminations vs. WOC comparison.:lmao: Not so much a fan of WOC. I know I am in the minority. I think Illuminations is an amazing laser light/fireworks show. Maybe I am a little biased because Illuminations is my favorite.

I do like how you can sit on the curbs and benches for the parades. Even in the short years I have been coming to DLR, the crowds during the parades just seem more relaxed. I am not counting the night entertainment. I just have to say how much I love:worship: the Mickey's Soundsational parade. So far, this is my favorite daytime parade at DLR or WDW hands down. I hope this one comes to WDW. I have been to see it every day this week. For me it's like the Spectromagic music, it just stays in your head. I would love to have the music for this parade. Step in time, step in time!:banana:

The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure (Even though the line looks really long, it moves really fast.) Don't miss it. I like Star Tours. However, be prepared to wait. Unlike WDW, the lines never die down for it.

I am still getting used to the treasures of DLR. Yesterday, I did the walk through of the Castle. Duh, I always thought you just walked through like Cinderella's castle. What a treat this was. I think I am going to do it again today. One thing I did notice. The character interaction seems better at DLR. They just pop up by themselves (without CM handlers), and commence to doing picture taking sessions. No fuss, no muss. It is strange not seeing Photopass photographers everywhere like at WDW.

DLR is truly a special place. I get goose bumps everytime I walk into it.

Thanks for the reviews!

I'm also heading to Disneyland for my first trip for the D23 Expo.

So excited! :banana: We made ADRs so far and are awaiting the 30 days out to do Walt tour and Fantasmic dessert party. We decided to forgoe the World of Color dining and will do the FPs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter