Just Back....trip report sour and sweet

mmiller

Mouseketeer
Arrived at AKL on 1/21 and the weather was HOTand so humid. Is it supposed to be 94% humidity in January? Had reserved a standard pool view room with king bed, NO smoking. CM told me we had been upgraded to a deluxe pool view room. Thank you so much. No, wait a minute. Room was terrible. King size bed dirty and sagging in middle, hole in bedspread from cigarette.(not mine) Was not a deluxe size...could not see pool except if we moved our heads just so to get around a tree...and the smell of smoke was horrible. Called downstairs and were told that king size beds are very limited...given to first people to check in...even though we booked this reservation in October. Smoke problem could be remedied(they said) if I came downstairs and got a room fragance can..WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said let me talk with a manager. 15 minutes later Steve,the front desk manager, came up...agreed room stunk(literally) and offered to move us. Because literally we were not upgraded but rather DOWN graded because we wanted a king size bed. We moved to Zebra trail into a pretty pool view deluxe 2 queen beds and the first 1 1/2 hours of vacation stress started to fade away. DH still stressed so i told him to take off alone, i would unpack, occupy our DS 4 and meet up with him at Boma at 6 for our ADR.

Boma was awesome....prime rib was the best I have ever had. Ribs were soft, sweet perfect.....DH allergic to onions, garlic, etc. Great chef made him a perfect steak, white rice, vegetables, etc. she was very sweet. I thought the desserts were the only thing lacking. I do not like bread pudding and it seems to run rampant at WDW..what is that about? and i wasnt in love with the zebra dome things.
Went to hot tub with DS (yes, little kids are welcome in the hot tub) I wasn't sure about that at first but for the whole week not one child misbehaved or splashed. Great night.

next morning early (10) went to MK....very crowded for this time of year. Waited in line 20 minutes for stroller rental. Bought a length of stay stroller pass (only $7.15 per day that way!!) and never waited in another line for stroller again. I sooo recommend that whether you are staying two days or eight like we did that you do that. You just walk up to the kiosk, show your little pink stubs and go get your stroller. And i loved that I could go from park to park in the same day and just walk right up and get a stroller. They stamp your ticket at the first location you rent from and then you just show it thereafter. more......

Sorry DS 4 was hungry. How could he be hungry? We were on the DDP and let me tell you unless you are a serious food hound you CANNOT comfortably eat all of that food. 21 TS, 21 Snacks, 21 CS. DH and DS(4 and a huge eater) and I shared most meals.
We ate at the following on the meal plan:

Bomma - perfect
Crystal Palace lunch character: characters great, food not so good.. Meat tough and odd tasting. Everything very spicy IMHO. Desserts were the best because they actually had an ice cream bar and my very favorite....boston creme pie. yum. but, again that stupid bread pudding. Parents...keep your children at the table. They tell you all the characters (we saw winnie, tigger, eyore, piglet) will come right to your table and they do. The parade also comes past your table. Parents who let there children run up to the characterw when it is not their turn are distracting and ruin the sweet experience each child will have on their own with the character. please listen to what they say and wait at your table for your chance. If you are at the buffet and miss the characters then tell the character "follower" and he will fit you in when the other children are done.
Boma: perfect again (except that stinking bread pudding)
Le Cellier: OMgoodness. What perfect service (carla) and a perfect meal. I told Carla when we were seated that I understood that this meal was quite relaxed and long in coming and I told her with our four year old we would appreciate it if she would move it right along. and she said no problem...you just need to let them know and they are happy to. So do not hesitate to eat here if you have heard about the long wait for food....just ask. The shrimp appetizer was delicious...served in a chinese to go container ??? My DN had the cheese soup (he raved) DN and DN both had the filet, small but very good, and DH and I (sharing with DS) had the 14 ounce steak....perfect and huge. Desert was the maple creme de brulee(sp) and good but too much maple flavor for me. Several glasses of wine and we were off.
more to come....DS needs playdooh help

Sounds like other than the disappointing check-in, you had a great time! No misbehaved children??? YOU ROCK! :thumbsup2

One thing I found LOL funny! You said
next morning early (10)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

So sorry, 10AM in our Disney world is lunch time! :teeth:

Donald's breakfastsoarus: what a lovely little character breakfast and great, great fun. Great breakfast food with all you can eat buffet. DS allergic to milk and waiter got him chocolate soy....very nice. Mickey was there, donald duck, pluto, and several others. Waiter perfect, and another great DDP meal. But the best was the krispy creme donuts and no bread pudding. Took a piece of fruit for later (did not needd) and headed into AK.

DS got on the dinosaur ride and promptly screamed to get off. I took him off and DH stayed on and said it was fun for him but much too dark, scary and loud for a 4 year old. We have now discovered that our son who generally fears nothing is now afraid of everything.
I will now spend 5 of my 7 park days at MK on Peter pan, winnie the pooh, aladdin carpet ride, and the great 3D mickey show( you can actually see it 12 times and still enjoy :rotfl2: ) We then decided to try ITTBAB (DS went into theater thinking it would be similar to the 3D mickey movie) WRONG, very dark, very scary especially when the bugs spray us with bug spray and the whole theater is dark and smokey. Again, screams to get out...usher lights little flashlight on floor for DS, DH and I to follow...only problem is DS thinks it is a bug and refused to follow the light. Needed to be carried screaming...sorry to anyone here who was there. Ds is now done with AK so DH and I split up and he goes and explores and I say I will go back to MK...Then i remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Camp Mickey and Minnie. See chip and dale at the entrance.....so sweet with DS....minnie mouse in the cutest little camp outfit hugging and kissing DS....so that part was perfect and then back to MK for more 3D mickey and peter pan!!! more....

Dinner at Ohana's Way, way to much food. Again, Dchef makes something special for finicky husband, Salad was delicious, skewer meat dry, stinking bread pudding but shrimp was heaven as was the wings and the wine and hawaiian drinks were great. Atmsphere was very fun. DS had fun and we went back for more hot tub and then after discoverd night vision, which is right behind the hot tub. So in wet bathing suits were say a baby gifaffe and her mommy. Oh wow it was the very best. The African guides at AK were so informative and funny. But, I am not sure I would stay at the AKL again. I think it felt a little too African for me and the rooms did not feel very clean and fresh. Bedspreads looked old, carpets a little beat, just not deluxey enough I think for the money. We visited the WL for dinner at Whispering Canyon and I liked the feel of that so much more....there on the water, pretty surroudning and views and the boat launch. I think i will stay there next time. Because actually the hotels look similiar with the atruims, etc. just the WL felt cleaner and crisper. Speaking of Whispering Canyon....what fun. Food was served by Wild Bobby (BJ) and he was training Elaine. Everytime they w3alked past us and we aked for anything (napkins, straws) they would just throw them at us. DS was hysterical. The best part by far was the catsup call. Oh my goodness.......DS kept screaming everytime someone asked for ketshup and would run it to their table along with 10 other kids....the look on faces of people who had no clue what would happen if they asked for kethcup was priceless. Kids get to do horse races thru the rest. while we are eating and everyone spins their clothe napkins. Loud and fun but not for anyone looking for a quiet dinner.

I thought I was the only one that hated bread pudding and wondered why it was everywhere! :rotfl2:

It's funny what you notice on these trips!

Great trip report so far :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter