just back...too many scooters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to chime in with this observation. Down in Epcot over the Food and Wine Festival. Witnessed a double stroller, attached to a scooter in the back. Followed by the wife in a scooter. Followed by the grandparents. The best part: they spread out so they took up almost the entire pathway.

I'm not going to make an observation of whether or not they needed 4 scooters and a double stroller. Just an observation perhaps on how crazy the usage is down there.

Woodcourt said:
Well, at first when reading this, I thought, this is a silly discussion with people having some valid points and have read this all here before..

So, this is what I think.

First, if you need a scooter, use one. Who cares what anyone else thinks or says, you are at Disneyworld and the person looking at you funny, getting irritated, or whispering under their breath will probably never see you again. Enjoy yourself!

Also, I am the mom of three (now one is only three weeks old and hasnt been yet), but I have gotten cranky people making comments and getting irritated waiting for me, my small children (last trip, age 1 and 2 1/2 last May), our bags and stroller to get on the bus or get bumped by the stroller as we are walking etc. But, you know what, we dont let that get us down. I smile, be as nice as I can and enjoy being at Disneyworld.

Its like a crying baby on an airplane. People get irritated, but really, do you think the mom wants to have a crying baby.

So, my thoughts are...lets be more patient and just realize that its not our place to guess what people are doing and why even waste good Disney air on venting about it! Enjoy yourself. Dont worry about who gets upset with you! You are at Disneyworld!!!!

Another great point.

Talking Hands said:
PLease do what you need to make your grandparents trip an enjoyable experience and forget these people who don't like scooters in the parks. Those of us using scooters and wheelchairs pay the exact same price to visit the parks as those who are able bodied. We have the same right to enjoy ourselves.

Talking Hands,

Let's not let this make this thread become like others in the past. Let's keep the debate going. I don't see any of "these people" saying they don't like scooters. The debate appears to be about the perception of an increase in scooter use and why that might be the case. Excessive misuse might be one reason for this increase. We're all able to speak like adults and have differing opinions. Let's see if we can keep the discussion on target.

We were at WDW Oct. 14-23 and we really didn't see many scooters or wheelchairs. There was a guy at breakfast at CP one morning who was driving back to his table from the buffet. I guess he gave the scooter a bit too much accelerator and he ran into the side of the table. That made the front of the scooter wedge under the edge of the table so he was stuck. As he went about freeing himself from the table the things ON the table were rocking all over. The other folks in his party were lucky they didn't end up with breakfast in their laps. So I agree that a large part of the frustration with scooters is that the operators do not know how to use them. If an able bodied person would like to rent a scooter it has nothing to do with me as long as they can manuever it properly. But if ANY person runs over me or my child because they are careless or unable to operate the contraption safely THAT is a problem.

Having been to WDW many times, I have seen lots of scooter use. The vast majority of it appears to be legitimate. And to almost everyone else I choose to give the benefit of the doubt. Seeing teens racing on ECV’s, however, would not get my benefit of the doubt.

I would hate for anyone with a legitimate need to feel badly about the scooter use. We rented one for my grandma back in 1999 because she couldn’t walk as much as WDW requires. She wasn’t a great driver, but she was considerate and tried very hard to avoid people, even those who cut her off. I once had to move the scooter for her (she didn’t feel comfortable un-parking it since she is blind in one eye and can’t reverse all that well), and I found that they are pretty difficult to control. They don’t turn or stop well. Also, they tend to go too fast down hill and too slow up hill.

Also, I think the reminders to consider invisible disabilities are very important. You never know why someone might need the chair unless you’ve walked a mile in their shoes. I’m a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I messed up my bad ankle so badly walking the WDW Half Marathon that my mom had to push me around the park in a wheelchair the next day. I was embarrassed and hated the thought that I might be seen as abusing it. I could hobble a bit (as I did when entering a restaurant or the restroom), but walking more than about 50 feet at a time was very painful. I decided not to let it bother me since I knew my need was legitimate. For those who need them or whose relatives need them—don’t feel badly. That is what they are there for. And I think the real abusers will get what’s coming to them in the end.

I try not to assume that the person using it doesn't need it, but I too have seen people get up and run into an attraction.

The WORST is families who share the scooter. I saw that a LOT this past week.

At Sea World I once saw a family of 7 ALL using scooters! That included pre-teens and adults!

Shel

I have no problem with ECVs being used for people who need them, but when I overhear 4 adults in their 30s discussing how great it is to be able to be lazy and not walk it makes me really mad. There are so many people who have to get around that way, and anyone who doesn't should be thanking God everyday that they are healthy enough to walk and enjoy the little things in life.
I never judge anyone young or old in a wheelchair or ECV, because you never know if that person is recovering from surgery or a broken bone. I myself would never use a wheelchair or an ECV unless I truely needed it. My best friend rented one once at MGM, because her feet hurt, and I have refused to go back with her since because it was so embarrassing knowing people were looking at us with the she's just using it for convenience look.
Also I don't think its right for people to use them to get through a crowd, I've had more than one person beep at me to get out of their way so they could go "tailgate" the person in front of me.

This is a difficult post for me because I too on my many trips have resented so many scooters taking up bus space and running amok. This year my very favorite sister who is a wonderful person and school teacher and beloved by everyone is going for probably the last time due to a shocking cancer diagnosed too late! She will be riding a scooter for the first time. She refuses to have anyone have to push her. We plan on surrounding her for her protection. She has a port in her chest and is very weak. Please be patient with her!

All Aboard said:
My perspective: We spend at least 30-40 days a year at WDW parks, and have so for many years. I have never been run into, run over, nearly hit or inconvenienced in any way by a scooter driver. I am happy that they are there for people who would not otherwise be able to enjoy the parks without them. And, I am certain that there are many, many conditions that are not so readily visible that require the use of an ECV.

But, there are two things that are absolutely true. 1) there is a steadily increasing number of scooters in the parks and 2) there are plenty of instances of their use by people who take very seriously the term "convenience" in ECV.

Amongst the worst abuses I have seen include a young couple who had a pair and were playing a game of "chicken" with them by the exit of Ice Station Cool. He cut his so hard that it tipped over. He jumped off, never losing his balance and righted it before jumping back on and fleeing the area. She looked embarrassed.

And, I can't tell you how many times I've heard the phrase, "my turn, you've had it long enough", and seen different members of the family on them during the day.

I do believe that some people think they are "premium" items, there for the convenience if you are willing to pay extra to have them. I've just seen it too many times.

Our society is darnright lazy. I heard the exact same quote "my turn, you've had it long enough" this past week. Overweight, un-fit folks, that just didn't want to walk. I personally think that you should have to get a prescription from your Doctor to be able to rent scooters. My DM's freind suggested she get a scooter to get on the rides faster. This is the way of thinking for some and it IS getting out of control.

This last trip my entire family went. My mom was recently diagnosed with heart disease and diabetes. By the second day, she had to rent a scooter, she didn't want anyone to have to push her either. Her feet were killing her,(blisters are very bad for a diabetic) but she was able to walk into the rides. She hated having to use the scooter because she felt like everyone was looking at her. Unfortunately, a lot of people were. My advice is - mind your own business. She felt funny using it and having people look at her made it worse. I could care less what people thought because I knew at the end of the day her feet could carry her onto the bus and back to our room. There were so many people that would just walk right in front of her and if she couldn't stop fast enough then it was her fault. I gave quite a few dirty looks and a few healthy words. Get over the fact that people use scooters. They use them for their own reasons. Look the other way if you don't like it.

Pats Dragon said:
This is a difficult post for me because I too on my many trips have resented so many scooters taking up bus space and running amok. This year my very favorite sister who is a wonderful person and school teacher and beloved by everyone is going for probably the last time due to a shocking cancer diagnosed too late! She will be riding a scooter for the first time. She refuses to have anyone have to push her. We plan on surrounding her for her protection. She has a port in her chest and is very weak. Please be patient with her!

I am so sorry to hear your family is going through this. This is exactly why I post on this issue each time it comes up on the boards because my family is in the same boat with both my mother and dh's dad. It becomes very personal when somebody close to you becomes disabled. All former opinions on this issue become irrelevant when the scooter user is you or somebody you love. Don't give up on your sister. In the last 4 years, we have enjoyed many "last" trips all over the place with my mom who has cancer (and now Alzheimers too) and also has a port in her chest. I never give up on my mom and life anymore! Hang in there and enjoy your trip. :grouphug:

P.S. I have thought about this a lot and think that if you have a note from your doctor or documentation regarding a diagnosed handicap (like what you get to get a car sticker for handicapped parking) or a clear, noticeable disablity or injury Disney should offer a scooter discount. If not then they should charge a higher price. That might make some of the folks who use them as a convenience item think twice. And there is no front of the line privilidges for scooters.

Scooters are a means for folks to tour the parks who otherwise wouldn't be able to due to the physical stresses inherent in navigating the parks on foot.

Because of scooters grandparents, parents, relatives and friends have created wonderful memories that they may not have been able to without the motorized assistance.

I say - let them roll :sunny:

First of all, if you do not think that these scooters get you in line faster you are flat wrong! I have seen it many, many times from Small World to buses.

Second, lets not forget that when people who do not need them use them just to keep from walking as much, get to the head of the line, or to have a basket to put stuff in, they take them from someone who really does need them. Several times last week I saw signs stating that all the ECV's were rented. I am glad I didn't really need one.

No one wants to make anyone feel bad about needing one or try to disuade you from renting one. The issue is that they are not on of the "rides" at Disney. They are not toys to be used for "fun." They are a motor vehicle that is capable of hurting someone if not used appropriately...and unfortunately that is what happens all too often.

I agree with what another poster said earlier: don't worry what other people think or say about you (or a family member) who is using an ECV...use it if it will make your trip easier. Whether or not the need is physically evident.

People rent strollers for children that can walk...6,7,8 year olds. But it makes it easier to push them (on the children, at least, not so much on the parents LOL.)

It really is not anyone's place to judge whether or not a person is "entitled" to an ECV or stroller. Disney has the right to remove guests who abuse the vehicles (such as the teenagers people have spoke of here.)

I really don't see how it's Disney's fault for not designing a "logical traffic flow." I've never had a problem figuring out where to walk while there to get to my destination. Straight ahead to the castle...right to Tomorrow Land...left to Adventureland. The only park that confuses me is MGM, so I just get a map and enjoy the scenic route. I always look in front of me so I don't slam into a light pole let alone another person, same thing everyone else should be doing (whether on foot, pushing a stroller/wheelchair, riding an ECV, etc. I would hope that most people don't intentionally bump into someone else, but I know that is not always the perceived case.

Stating that there's no problem with ECV users as long as they are not just being "lazy" is still a from of judgement in my book. It all comes down to being responsible and conscious of your surroundings, and unfortunately not everyone is. We don't call people lazy for requesting rooms near the food court or ground floor rooms, do we. We are more than willing to provide them with advice on the best building or rooms when they ask that question.

My sister's ex-boyfriend has retinitis pigmentosa (I know that is misspelled :confused3 ) which is a genetic disease that slowly degenerates over years to the point that he won't be able to see anymore. He is 29 years old. He has no peripheral vision, no driver's license, cannot see at night or during in really bright sunlight and has a hard time dining in dimly lit restaurants (maybe that's why they broke up-not enough romantic dinners :rotfl2: ) Anyways, he would bump into people, tables, doors, parking curbs, you name it. By looking at him, you can't tell that he has this disease. By talking to him, same thing. Of course, he would never rent an ECV as he would definitely run into things with that. My grandmother, who is almost 80, is also losing her sight. It's a little more obvious with her. Just wanted to illustrate the fact that as others have mentioned, not all "disabilities" are recognizable.

Amy&Dan said:
I am so sorry to hear your family is going through this. This is exactly why I post on this issue each time it comes up on the boards because my family is in the same boat with both my mother and dh's dad. It becomes very personal when somebody close to you becomes disabled. All former opinions on this issue become irrelevant when the scooter user is you or somebody you love. Don't give up on your sister. In the last 4 years, we have enjoyed many "last" trips all over the place with my mom who has cancer (and now Alzheimers too) and also has a port in her chest. I never give up on my mom and life anymore! Hang in there and enjoy your trip. :grouphug:

P.S. I have thought about this a lot and think that if you have a note from your doctor or documentation regarding a diagnosed handicap (like what you get to get a car sticker for handicapped parking) or a clear, noticeable disablity or injury Disney should offer a scooter discount. If not then they should charge a higher price. That might make some of the folks who use them as a convenience item think twice. And there is no front of the line privilidges for scooters.

That isn't a bad idea. :) Maybe if you have a HC parking pass or note from Dr.

I don't think anyone has a problem with people who ECV make an otherwise impossible or difficult trip possible. To all the people like Pats Dragon family who needs it or Talking hands they are a God spent. However, it is the abuse of the situation that is so distrubing to others.

I think if My father was to ever go to WDW the only way he could get around is with one. The task would just be too ovewelleming for him to enjoy himself. More then likely if he went with out one it would result in him back in the hosptial. He does not have anything like that in real life, but does have a HC parking pass and uses it only when he needs it (can't find a spot close enough normally.)

This thread scares me a bit, first because I was a scooter hater myself and thought most people used them because they were lazy. Now, I have to use one our upcoming trip and I will think people will look at me saying I don't need it. I am not old, nor am I over weight and my disability is not obvious, but I have 3 herniated discs and a tear in my muscle in my back and neck, thanks to a 22 year old depressed girl who thought it was cool to take her medication and drive. I for one am going to MISS walking around the parks, that was one of my favorite things to do. I will however, walk until I can't take it anymore, then I'll be forced to use a wheelchair or an EVC to compensate along with pain medication (not my idea of a wonderful vacation, but I'll make do).

My point, what comes around goes around, I complained about the use of scooters by people who looked like they didn't need them (and yes I believe a good 50% don't need them), now I have to, kind of snucks.

go cowboys said:
First of all, if you do not think that these scooters get you in line faster you are flat wrong! I have seen it many, many times from Small World to buses.

Second, lets not forget that when people who do not need them use them just to keep from walking as much, get to the head of the line, or to have a basket to put stuff in, they take them from someone who really does need them. Several times last week I saw signs stating that all the ECV's were rented. I am glad I didn't really need one.

No one wants to make anyone feel bad about needing one or try to disuade you from renting one. The issue is that they are not on of the "rides" at Disney. They are not toys to be used for "fun." They are a motor vehicle that is capable of hurting someone if not used appropriately...and unfortunately that is what happens all too often.

We have never gotten to the front of the line except on the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. We have taken 8 trips that I can remember to DL with my fil, I guess if I am "flat wrong" and have forgotten the joy of some special treatment so be it. Sometimes fil has gone in through the exit and waited for us to go through the regular line. It has been my understanding and observation that at WDW (a newer more accessible park than DL) the ride ques are big enough for the scooter to just move through the line like everybody else. I have seen Sue Ellen who moderates the disablities board state this fact time and again and she should know. In fact, why don't you post your observation/questions regarding this topic over on the disabilites board?. There are tons of folks over there who know all of the ins and outs of scooter useage. And you are right they are not rides. Nobody in their right mind would use them as such and if they do you could take that scooter away and they would find some other annoying, dangerous, self centered way to inconvenience and endanger other people. I am sorry but when you post something like this right in the thread title you will get some answers by people who will feel the need to defend what they do. As for the buses, if somebody has a scooter in the bus line it is their scooter that they either rented from an outside agency or own. That seems to cut down on the chances of somebody pulling a fast one. If some people pay what can amount to a couple of hundred dollars to rent an outside scooter for a week at wdw and uses it to cut in the bus line that is a shame. On the other hand the folks that live with their real disabilities day in and day probably wish very much they didn't get on the bus before you. As for scooters being all rented out for rental it is my belief (and practice) that if you really need one, no way around it, you will probably own your own model or rent from an outside agency. I have visited the disablities board and most of the people over there who live with disabilities and are the real experts on this, will tell you not to chance it. Does that mean that the fact that they are out of scooters mean that a busload of ignorant, lazy scumbags decended on the park and grabbed the scooters? I don't think so. Yes, many people who rent scooters could technically get around. But should they have to? And to what extent? If my fil doens't have one he can do some, but very little. So that means he can't enjoy the day fully with his grandkids. He doesn't use one any place else. Not because he isn't disabled enough but because he doesn't get out much (doesn't feel like it for the most part) and when he does get out he parks close and just does a little at a time. A day at a Disney park is a whole different thing however.

I would like to see you maneuver one of those things around the parks with 50 million people walking around. Let's see how well you would do. Those people would probably much rather be walking around, but aren't able to for a variety of reasons. Thank God those scooters are around for people who wouldn't be able to enjoy WDW without them. You're right. It was an extremely callous remark to make. It certainly got my blood boiling. Have some patience with those who aren't as perfect as you are.

Raevyn_Wolfe said:
Ok, I'm a little confused.

I am taking my grandparents (in the 65-70 age range) to Disneyworld for the very first time.
My grandfather has had multiple hip surgeries and has bad knees.
My grandmother has painful varicose veins.
BOTH of them can walk and do in their normal every day life.

I was planning on renting a scooter for them in the parks. I feel it will make it eaisier on them, and I want them to be comfortable and enjoy themselves, not be suffering. Which I am sure they will be if they walk through the park all day.

Is this wrong?? :shrug.....
No, of course it is not wrong. If it makes their vacation pain free and more enjoyable then I say go for it.
I would also suggest that because of mobility issues they should rent an EVC
from an offsite company.
I have a disability and have rented mine from Care Medical (800-741-2282) and Walker Mobility (888-726-6837) in the past. I would recommend either one.The cost is about $30 a day. The ones at the parks cost $35 a day and are bigger and have 4 wheels kinda like a golf cart. They are harder to steer and to control. If she rents from an offsite rental they will deliver the EVC to bell services at the resort. They can use it to go to the pools, and gift shops as well as the bus stop. If they are not familar with a scooter have them practice at a store before the trip.Walmart and Target as well as several stores have them for customers.
Almost all the Disney buses are accessible. I love using my EVC it gives me more indepence and helps keep my pain to a minimum. I just back my EVC into the room, plug it in and I ready to go to the parks in the morning.

If they are afraid of other peoples reactions ask them the following questions:
Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Have a wonderful vacation.
Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter