Just back- Tips for riding Mission Space

disneymom99

Mouseketeer
Went to Epcot on the 4th of July. We (DH, 2DD, myself) were on our way to Test Track and saw that they were letting people into Mission Space. So, we decided to go on Mission Space instead of Test Track (because it was about 7:30pm). DD was a little nervous about riding, so we asked the CM what the ride was like. He said it was sorta like Star Tours only a smoother ride. He said the key to not getting dizzy is the keep your head back on the headrest, and your eyes on the screen. That way, you trick your inner ear into believing that you are experiencing what is going on on the screen. But, if you close your eyes, or look around, then you will know exactly where you are, and you will become very dizzy. We followed his advice, and had an EXCELLENT ride!

Also, don't take large backpacks into the ride. They will not fit into the storage compartments. If your backpack is too large, they will have you do a swap.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Great tips there! I would just like to add that the maximum size for carry-on bags is six inches in width.

How old are your DD's? I'm trying to decide if the ride will be too intense for my 8 yr old DD.

My DDs are ages 7 and 11. The 11 year old was the one that was little nervous. It was not too intense for my 7 year old. She also rode Rock n Roller Coaster and loved it. I guess it depends on the child. There is a warning before you enter. If you don't like enclosed spaces, darkness, or loud noises, they advise you to skip the ride. However, it was not as dark to me as Space Mtn. and was not that loud. The ride lasts about 3 minutes and 48 seconds according to the CM.

Thanks for the great tips, I'll be sure to use them on our next trip.:bounce:

"Sorta like Star Tours, but a smoother ride"

Just wondering whether I have the bottle to to try it. I know it's not a roller coaster, but does it go upside down? I can handle Star Tours ok. I hear it's quite claustrophobic - does that mean there's only one person per 'pod'? Any help appreciated. I don't like surprises!

Ann.

Motion sickness is my big problem. I'm dying to try it, but I'm so afraid that I'll lose my cookies! :(

thanks for the infor about he backpacks. we have always brought our backpack with us on every ride. guess we'll have to find some lockers that day.

Originally posted by UKAnnie
"Sorta like Star Tours, but a smoother ride"

Just wondering whether I have the bottle to to try it. I know it's not a roller coaster, but does it go upside down? I can handle Star Tours ok. I hear it's quite claustrophobic - does that mean there's only one person per 'pod'? Any help appreciated. I don't like surprises!

Ann.

Maybe someone who has ridden it can cmment on this, but I fail to see how this can be anything like Star Tours, with the exception of the theming.

The ride pod, I believe, holds 4 people. Each pod is on the end of an arm in a centrifuge. The centrifuge spins, therefore, you spin around the circumferance of a circle. This simulates varying degrees of gravity as you are pushed back into your seat.

This, combined with audio and visual cues tricks your brain into thinking and believing you are on a space craft.

I can't wait to try this. But I will definitely head the warnings and hold my head back and keep my eyes on the screen.

Ted

I hope I get to ride when we're there. I had a dream last night that I was on it. I really need to stop reading the forum/buide books before bed :)

Having experienced M:S, I would say the only similarity to Star Tours is that it is a "motion simulator." I think the CM's tell guests this to reassure them that they really aren't going anywhere.

Other than that, the experience is very different from Star Tours.

I loved the ride, and didn't find it as intense as the warnings hyped me up to believe it would be. But it was a great experience. :) I wish I could ride it again!

After riding, I agree that the only similarity to Star Tours is that it is a motion simulator. In my opinion, it doesn't make you feel anymore claustrophobic than RnRC. I don't think it's as dark as Space Mtn. There are 4 people per pod. Each person has an assignment- navigator, engineer, commander, pilot. You are given certain tasks during your ride, so remember which job you have! (even if you don't, I don't think it affects the ride. My DD age 7 forgot to push her button once).

It does not go upside down. It spins you around at a high rate of speed and tilts you back and forth. But, you don't know this if you keep your eyes on the screen. Keeping your eyes on the screen makes you believe your experiencing what you see on the screen. You feel the G forces, but you don't feel yourself spinning around. It's a very smooth ride. Just don't close your eyes or look around, because you will get dizzy and may experience motion sickness.

It's a great ride and looks to be one of Epcot's best!:D

Is there any pattern to when they open Mission Space for sneak previews? We will be there in a couple of weeks (before the official opening) and would love to get a chance to ride!

Yeah - is there any secret to getting on it? I'd like to know when would be the most likely time to get to ride it!

313Mission_Space_Capsules.jpg

313Mission_Space_Capsules_2.jpg

These are the "capsules" which the 4 riders load into to ride Mission Space.

"Motion sickness is my big problem. I'm dying to try it, but I'm so afraid that I'll lose my cookies! "

This is me too!
I want to ride, but I don't want to feel really sick, during the ride or after.
I have an annual pass and will be there for the preview days!
What to do?
Anyone "prone to motionsickness" had any expereinces?

We also just returned and rode Mission Space twice while there. The ride currently is opening to riders M-F from 4 PM -9:00 PM. Just know that this could change at any time, it is unpublished and unannounced and one of the CM's said she gets her schedule weekly so she doesn't really know from week to week what her schedule will be until they notify her. But you can certainly tell when it's open cause there are lots of people hanging around. There is retail in the exit and if you choose not to ride you can go through the merchandise to the interactive activity area to wait for your party.

I am a major motion sickness sufferer. I was very concerned about this ride. I read all of the reviews and followed all of the advice. Keep your head back, focus on the screen, don't look around and DON'T close your eyes. I usually close my eyes in the virtual reality rides when they start to bother me. I rode the ride and I will admit it made me feel a little woozy, but I got my bearings back quickly. It did not leave me with the swimmy head, nauseous feeling that I usually get from rides like Star Tours, Body Wars, Tower of Terror. My family went back later in the evening and rode it again. I decided not to push my luck and bowed out the 2nd time around. It is the coolest ride, I've never experience anything like it before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter