Just back, thoughts on parks/Hard Rock Hotel/etc...

Puffy2

DIS Veteran
Just thought I'd share my two cents about recent visit to Universal (end of April - May 2):

Used ************ for town car transportation and they did great. Our driver was waiting at the baggage carrosel rather than at the end of the escalators but that was no big deal since we are used to having to call or hunt for our drivers with other company's that we have used in the past. Both cars were nice, drivers friendly and on time. A+

Hard Rock - check in smooth. $154 Georgia Resident rate - you have to call the Universal Resort direct to get this rate when available (usually available if the Florida resident rate is also available, but can't be booked online.) If you get this rate, you don't get the Loews Membership welcome gift, newspaper or any other freebee.

The room was nice, but not like the hotel was when it first opened. I preferred the white bed covers (they changed them to green/brown - proably to cover up dirt) - plus - is it just me or have the beds changed???? On our first couple of trips that we took right after the hotel opened the beds were fabulous - very comfy...heavely bed comfy....now, although pretty good they weren't THAT good. Has there been a change??? The new decor in the rooms just doesn't look as "rich" as the old decor. I'm sure it was redesigned to hold up longer, but I miss the luxury feel.

Hallway carpet a little dirty, but not horrible by any means.

The walls could have been more insulated. Each night for about an hour we had to listen to "Kevin" next door being a loud, obnoxious, spoiled brat while his mother yelled at him.

Pool, lobby, etc... all great

Restaurant, lovely - food anywhere from really good to not so much (the breakfast French Toast was "crunchy"...not supposed to be, obviously) - but over all , it was good. The bad part was the cost. It costs a fortune to eat at the hotel. I went and had dinner/dessert and coffee by myself one evening - $35 with tip.

The walk to City Walk from the Hard Rock is short and beautiful with all the gardens, etc... The boat transporatation was great.

We also took the shuttle to SeaWorld one day - shuttle picked up at 9:55am at HR. and picked up at SeaWorld for return at 7:20PM. We took a taxi back instead, costing $16 - about $20 with the tip. At SeaWorld, they have a restaurant called something like "Mama's Kitchen or Mama's Restaurant" with "healthy alternatives" - it is good to have some healthy options but the food was a little bland. Still, not bad for SeaWorld food ...which on most trips for us has been pretty bad.

I bought Universal tickets online and got the "free coupon book" - that book is a total rip. Most of the coupons in it can only be used during certain hours. When we tried to use one a Latin Quarter, for a free appetiser, we were restricted as to what appetiser we could order. I think we only used one coupon in the whole book.

AAA card works well at most places, though - for 10% off if you remember to show it. Bubba Gump Shrimp Restaurant does not accept the AAA card, though. Bubba Gump is way over priced too.

Best Deal: Pastamore Market for Breakfast. Served 7am - 11am. These counter service meals are huge and two adult breakfasts (eggs, bacon or sausage, hashbrowns, crossant) could easily feed two adults / two kids. 2 breakfasts with 4 drinks would cost you about $17 or so - plus there isn't a tip involved since it is counter service. Best deal at Universal.

Parks great as ususal - especially Universal. Kids loved the Beatlejuice show and Horror Makeup show. Terminator best show of all.

Tip: you proably already know, but take your own bottled water. It's expensive in the parks.

Hope this helps.

I feel exactly the same way about the rooms. I was kind of disappointed when we walked in. I think the brown carpet looks very motel-ish and the duvet covers are already full of pulls. I thought the original scheme was beautiful with the blue/green carpet and the white duvet covers.

Are the Royal Pacific or Portofino any better these days?

The Portofino was lovely in February when we were there. I thought it was much more classy looking. The Royal Pacific is getting overhauled this fall.

I was hoping I would like the new Hard Rock rooms but I was a bit disappointed. I got over it pretty quickly though!!! I thought the beds were the same as far as comfiness goes.

Agree on the new decor - we ended up taking off the green/brown duvet covers and just used the comforters - much more comfortable!:)

But we did keep the sheets between us and the comforters, than threw the duvets on top during the day.

Agree on the new decor - we ended up taking off the green/brown duvet covers and just used the comforters - much more comfortable!:)

But we did keep the sheets between us and the comforters, than threw the duvets on top during the day.

I think they should have cleared these new renovations with us before they went ahead. We seem to have much better taste!;)

Y'all got colored bedspreads (duvet covers)?

We just returned, too, and all we had was a white comforter and a long brown pillow for leaning on.

Overall, I agree with everything OP states. We, too, got a great rate ($129 for obstructed view), but we were put literally at the end of the pet aisle. I have pets, love animals -- we have no children, so our pets are our kids -- but the floor in the aisle was poopy. Just lots of fresh accidents aaaaaallllll the waaaaay down. They were generally cleaned by the next time we saw them, but then there were new ones. I noticed the thin walls, too, and the barking next door.

Oh, well. Nothing that would ruin a visit, but I did mention a few things on my survey. Even at 129 buckaroos a night, I would expect a little better.

In HRH's defense, I did get an immediate response from a manager, who told me to book my next trip directly with him. He said he'll personally make sure my next trip exceeds my expectations. I thought that was nice.

And what's up with the cable/tv? I appreciate the new thin plasma televisions, but ours had terrible reception -- at least that's what the front desk said, that it was reception. Where's the antenna to fix that? LOL. Did everyone have a slight film of snow on their screens? I mean, we could see what was on tv, but it was staticky.

We stayed at HRH in February and loved the new decor. We had no problems with the reception on our TV either. Actually, this trip to HRH was much better than our last trip in 2004. We typically go to RPR. Next month we'll be at PBH. I'm hoping we love it.

Y'all got colored bedspreads (duvet covers)?

We just returned, too, and all we had was a white comforter and a long brown pillow for leaning on.

Overall, I agree with everything OP states. We, too, got a great rate ($129 for obstructed view), but we were put literally at the end of the pet aisle. I have pets, love animals -- we have no children, so our pets are our kids -- but the floor in the aisle was poopy. Just lots of fresh accidents aaaaaallllll the waaaaay down. They were generally cleaned by the next time we saw them, but then there were new ones. I noticed the thin walls, too, and the barking next door.

Oh, well. Nothing that would ruin a visit, but I did mention a few things on my survey. Even at 129 buckaroos a night, I would expect a little better.

In HRH's defense, I did get an immediate response from a manager, who told me to book my next trip directly with him. He said he'll personally make sure my next trip exceeds my expectations. I thought that was nice.

And what's up with the cable/tv? I appreciate the new thin plasma televisions, but ours had terrible reception -- at least that's what the front desk said, that it was reception. Where's the antenna to fix that? LOL. Did everyone have a slight film of snow on their screens? I mean, we could see what was on tv, but it was staticky.

We had the brown nylon duvet covers with the stripe that were already full of pulls. Our tv was fine.

We travel with our 4 legged baby girl, so we're always in a pet friendly room. I've never seen the hallway looking like that. There must have been a dog there at the same time you were that had problems. I wouldn't have been very happy, if I saw that either. IMHO, only pets that are capable of travelling without affecting the enjoyment of others should go along on family vacations. We don't have family here for Molly to stay with, & she doesn't stay in kennels. When people let their pets make a mess, or leave one in the room to bark day & night, it makes things worse for all of us. Okay, rant over. :blush: I just wanted to let you know that's not the norm.

Incidentally, the last time we were at HRH the carpet in our room was nasty. It appeared to be from ground in food & settled smoke. (We were put in a smoking room, because there wasn't any non-smoking left.) We carry pet carpet cleaning spray with us, & it wouldn't budge the food stains. Anyway, I thought they were replacing all the carpet, during the new renovation. Was that not the case? I guess we'll find out in July.

Thanks for the info

Where exactly is Pastamore market? Thanks

Pastamore is on the IOA side of CityWalk. It's on the lower lever & across from to the theater. If you're coming from the moving sidewalk, it's on the left. I hope that makes sense. I'm not good at directions. :o

We travel with our 4 legged baby girl, so we're always in a pet friendly room. I've never seen the hallway looking like that. There must have been a dog there at the same time you were that had problems. I wouldn't have been very happy, if I saw that either. IMHO, only pets that are capable of travelling without affecting the enjoyment of others should go along on family vacations. We don't have family here for Molly to stay with, & she doesn't stay in kennels. When people let their pets make a mess, or leave one in the room to bark day & night, it makes things worse for all of us. Okay, rant over. :blush: I just wanted to let you know that's not the norm.

Incidentally, the last time we were at HRH the carpet in our room was nasty. It appeared to be from ground in food & settled smoke. (We were put in a smoking room, because there wasn't any non-smoking left.) We carry pet carpet cleaning spray with us, & it wouldn't budge the food stains. Anyway, I thought they were replacing all the carpet, during the new renovation. Was that not the case? I guess we'll find out in July.

This was a first for us, too, after about 15 stays at HRH. And we almost always get the pet area/rooms. I don't mind at all. If anything, it helps me feel like home when I hear and see and hear our four-legged friends.

This was the first time, tho, that we'd been assigned to a room so far down the hallways. We were two doors away from the outside. I think that had a lot to do with it. When we were going to the parks or pool, we'd just hit that side door, but when we were going to the hotel lobby area, we had to walk aaaaaallll the waaaaay down those hallways. Just left a lot of time to "notice" things.

Like I said, overall our stay was a pleasant one. We expect glitches and hiccups along the way anywhere we stay. And I'm absolutely satisfied with the response I received from HRH after I completed my survey. We spend so little time in our room, I'd just like it clean -- and a clear reception on the tv for when DH is on the news!

Just thought I'd share my two cents about recent visit to Universal (end of April - May 2):

Used ************ for town car transportation and they did great. Our driver was waiting at the baggage carrosel rather than at the end of the escalators but that was no big deal since we are used to having to call or hunt for our drivers with other company's that we have used in the past. Both cars were nice, drivers friendly and on time. A+

Hard Rock - check in smooth. $154 Georgia Resident rate - you have to call the Universal Resort direct to get this rate when available (usually available if the Florida resident rate is also available, but can't be booked online.) If you get this rate, you don't get the Loews Membership welcome gift, newspaper or any other freebee.

The room was nice, but not like the hotel was when it first opened. I preferred the white bed covers (they changed them to green/brown - proably to cover up dirt) - plus - is it just me or have the beds changed???? On our first couple of trips that we took right after the hotel opened the beds were fabulous - very comfy...heavely bed comfy....now, although pretty good they weren't THAT good. Has there been a change??? The new decor in the rooms just doesn't look as "rich" as the old decor. I'm sure it was redesigned to hold up longer, but I miss the luxury feel.

Hallway carpet a little dirty, but not horrible by any means.

The walls could have been more insulated. Each night for about an hour we had to listen to "Kevin" next door being a loud, obnoxious, spoiled brat while his mother yelled at him.

Pool, lobby, etc... all great

Restaurant, lovely - food anywhere from really good to not so much (the breakfast French Toast was "crunchy"...not supposed to be, obviously) - but over all , it was good. The bad part was the cost. It costs a fortune to eat at the hotel. I went and had dinner/dessert and coffee by myself one evening - $35 with tip.

The walk to City Walk from the Hard Rock is short and beautiful with all the gardens, etc... The boat transporatation was great.

We also took the shuttle to SeaWorld one day - shuttle picked up at 9:55am at HR. and picked up at SeaWorld for return at 7:20PM. We took a taxi back instead, costing $16 - about $20 with the tip. At SeaWorld, they have a restaurant called something like "Mama's Kitchen or Mama's Restaurant" with "healthy alternatives" - it is good to have some healthy options but the food was a little bland. Still, not bad for SeaWorld food ...which on most trips for us has been pretty bad.

I bought Universal tickets online and got the "free coupon book" - that book is a total rip. Most of the coupons in it can only be used during certain hours. When we tried to use one a Latin Quarter, for a free appetiser, we were restricted as to what appetiser we could order. I think we only used one coupon in the whole book.

AAA card works well at most places, though - for 10% off if you remember to show it. Bubba Gump Shrimp Restaurant does not accept the AAA card, though. Bubba Gump is way over priced too.

Best Deal: Pastamore Market for Breakfast. Served 7am - 11am. These counter service meals are huge and two adult breakfasts (eggs, bacon or sausage, hashbrowns, crossant) could easily feed two adults / two kids. 2 breakfasts with 4 drinks would cost you about $17 or so - plus there isn't a tip involved since it is counter service. Best deal at Universal.

Parks great as ususal - especially Universal. Kids loved the Beatlejuice show and Horror Makeup show. Terminator best show of all.

Tip: you proably already know, but take your own bottled water. It's expensive in the parks.

Hope this helps.

We had the same problem with the noise level at RPR last weekend. We literally heard doors slamming all weekend and tons of noise from the hallways.

$154 is a great rate! Was that standard view? I just paid $189 a night for waterview ar RPR last weekend and that was a Florida Res Rate. Had I know HRH had a $154 rate, I would have jumped at that!

This was a first for us, too, after about 15 stays at HRH. And we almost always get the pet area/rooms. I don't mind at all. If anything, it helps me feel like home when I hear and see and hear our four-legged friends.

This was the first time, tho, that we'd been assigned to a room so far down the hallways. We were two doors away from the outside. I think that had a lot to do with it. When we were going to the parks or pool, we'd just hit that side door, but when we were going to the hotel lobby area, we had to walk aaaaaallll the waaaaay down those hallways. Just left a lot of time to "notice" things.

Like I said, overall our stay was a pleasant one. We expect glitches and hiccups along the way anywhere we stay. And I'm absolutely satisfied with the response I received from HRH after I completed my survey. We spend so little time in our room, I'd just like it clean -- and a clear reception on the tv for when DH is on the news!

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were being critical. If my post sounded that way, I apologize. I know you love all things UO like we do. I was just trying to offer a reason why the hallway may look so bad. We too had issues during our last HRH stay, so I know it happens. On another topic... Did they replace all the carpets, including the public areas? I'm hoping they spruced up the entire property. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter