• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

zman

Earning My Ears
Just got back late yesterday from our trip (2/15 – 2/20). This was our 2nd trip, first was in 1998. We probably won’t be heading back for at least 5 more years (other vacation spots await us). We had a great time, though the weather wasn’t the best. Crowds were a non-factor, in our opinion. Let me know if you have any questions. I will soon be littering this and other boards with details of specific items I think others might like to know.

The Good
WDW is still Magical:
Rides +++
Parades and fireworks +++
Atmosphere +++
Cleanliness ++
Cirque du Soleil +++ (worth every penny)
CMs +++
The BW is GREAT – (we rented from a DVCer)
Location, atmosphere can’t be beat – only 5 minute walk to IG 12 minutes to the Studios.
We even received DVC Member discount on select purchases, without asking
FastPass worked great
MK & the Studios have the best atmosphere
AK is next
FW at Epcot needs work or a purpose or strategy..something
WS at Epcot is very nice
The food:
HoB - good food, service +++
Rose and Crown – good food, good service +++
Alfredos okay food, good service ++
RC in Ak was good
Tiffany worked out great (again)
AirTran is a good airline

The Bad (okay, not really the bad, just comments, sometimes critical)

I still needed a fanny pack, mostly for the digital camera. But cargo shorts and painter jeans work out great with all their pockets
Food carts, on 2 occasions, once at AK and once at MGM, just weren’t ready for business yet were “open.”
Swan and Dolphin – why? – they don’t fit in
Downtown Disney – should only have one pickup/drop off location
Weather was cool, sometimes cold and once drizzly
And, 60 degrees, cloudy and drizzly in FL feels no different than here in WNY
People do stay away on rainy days (like on Tue at MK – we did Space Mt., HM, BTMRR, Mickey’s Philharmagic all by 11:30 after getting to the park at 9:15.
First timers: ditch formal touring plans…know the rides/attractions and the lay of the land. I did this on our first trip and this one and it worked out great.
No E-ride but the CM at the BW said they are supposed to start again in March/April timeframe (take it for what is worth)
If you decide to buy a new video camera the day before your trip, it’s a good idea to read the instruction book...the plane ride down would have been good
What's up with the helicopters?
Watch that film!!! One of our rolls was destroyed due to X-Ray! Of course it was the one from Chef Mickey's and the characters...DAMN!

The Ugly (are you kidding…you’re at WDW, there is no ugly)

Thanks,

Paul

Swan and Dolphin – why? – they don’t fit in
In what manner???

They are owned by Sheraton (aka Starwood Resorts).
What's up with the helicopters?
There are copters available for rides over on I-Drive and alot of people like aerial shots.

The S&D were part of a deal down between I think Lawrence Tisch and Disney at the time when Disney was not doing so well (even compared to now) and needed cash and financing/construction to build Epcot - part of the deal was that the S&D could be built and would not be Disney owned

thanks
jaysue

Do you know what caused your film to be damaged??? What's the best way to transport it?

I'm not sure what caused the film to be damaged but I can only suspect it was when our carry on was x-rayed. The only difference with this roll of film was it was in my wife's purse and not her carry-on piece where the other undeveloped film was...but I wouldn't think this would make a difference but it is the only difference.

Also, I had read in a Photography magazine, prior to our trip, that luggage that is checked is under more intense x-ray than that of the carry ons (I have no idea if this is true or not, but the magazine cited "tests" of the damage). It was also stated that higher speed films, greater than 800, are really the ones that are affected.

I don't remember the name of the magazine as it was one that I was reading at the barbershop.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks! I do know there are signs at our airport that say you should not check undeveloped film. Hopefully I won't forget!! :crazy:

Paul,

Thanks for your comments--we leave two weeks from today, and I'm so hoping that there still won't be big crowds at that time!!

I read on another thread about a person who saves those developing envelopes that you get in the mail and when she is done with a role of film she will send it off from Disney. When she returns home some of the pictures are already back and she doesn't have to worry about any of them getting ruined. Thought that might be a good idea. I know if the past we have stopped at a Wal-Mart before going home and have had pictures developed before getting back on the plane.
Just a couple of ideas if you are worried about your film.
Also the pictures are fun to look at on the Flight home!:teeth:

Our film was damaged when it went through the luggage x-ray machine, however, on the next trip when it went through the "walk through" x-ray machine it was fine.

zman - hi from another Western New Yorker! Your 60 degree day in FL may have felt the same as home, but it probably wasn't so bad because you were in WDW!!! :D

As for the film, I was told that the best way to handle it at the airport is, put it all in a ziplock bag or cosmetic bag. When it is time for your bags to be checked, simply remove it from the bag and request that it be hand inspected. There is no problem with asking for hand inspections, just explain that it is film. We are driving, but the family is flying. I am going to offer to bring their film back for them, just to save them the trouble. ~KPmomprincess:

Chef Mickey's was good. We did the breakfast. The characters interact very well and a lot with everyone. In fact, Mickey took his break one table before getting to us. Sure enough, when he returned, he started off with us. It does get a tad noisy but that's to be expected. The servers in no way try to rush you out of there. They encouraged us to stay as long as needed.

Paul

Hand inspection takes a bit more time, but they will do it. Grudgingly and you might have to INSIST!

Kallison,

Good point...the photography magazine I read stated exactly what you mention. Apparently, it is your right to have a hand inspection if you so desire. You may even have to ask for the FAA rep on site (I think it's the FAA...it could be a differenct faction of government, I'm not really sure). Obviously, if anyone takes this route, give yourself plenty of extra time at the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter