• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

JUST BACK - The good, the bad, and the ugly.... :( :)

Over all you had a very magical time at WDW and I am glad Disney helped you replace the things taken from you.:goodvibes :goodvibes

I think people think of Disney are a magical place where bad things don't happen. As you found out, that is not the case. You have to be as careful there as anywhere else. It is so easy for someone to go over to a stroller and just roll it away or grab a bag, people watching will assume it's theirs.

I've always seen plenty of bags in strollers, but never have I seen any being disturbed. I'm so sorry that happened to you, but thankfully there was a wonderful ending to it!

Sorry something like this happen to you or anyone else for that matter. But I am so glad that Disney made it up to you. Maybe that is one of the many reasons I return to Disney every year. It's how they can take something bad and turn it into something wonderful.

I can honestly say I feel sorry for the people that have to steal. With the economy the way it is, if you can't afford to buy stuff and Disney and have to steal, maybe you shouldn't be going. Makes you wonder if people follow you around and watch what you buy and what you do with it.

We always send our packages back to the resort, unless it is something that we are going to be using right then. And in the past we would have them by the next night ready to pick up at the gift shop at our resort.

I can't imagine, for the life of me, WHY anyone would leave their purchases unattended:confused3 . I won't do it at a mall, an airport or a store anywhere, why would Disneyworld be any different? I hope you learned a valuable lesson there and don't make the same mistake next trip. You can never get too comfortable with your posessions.

I dont intend to sound mean about this, but why on earth would you leave a BIG disney bag, obviously filled with 'goodies' unattended in your stroller? That's just asking for someone to take it.

It's sad that it was taken, but I don't see how it was Disney's fault.

How awful for someone to do that at Disney, but how wonderful for them to replace it all for you! We carry everything with us or have it sent to our rooms/front of the park, but in the future I will also keep the receipts on me just in case!

I can't imagine, for the life of me, WHY anyone would leave their purchases unattended:confused3 . I won't do it at a mall, an airport or a store anywhere, why would Disneyworld be any different? I hope you learned a valuable lesson there and don't make the same mistake next trip. You can never get too comfortable with your posessions.

I dont intend to sound mean about this, but why on earth would you leave a BIG disney bag, obviously filled with 'goodies' unattended in your stroller? That's just asking for someone to take it.

It's sad that it was taken, but I don't see how it was Disney's fault.

OK first of all the OP did not say it was Disney's fault..Disney was nice to do that for the family..they did not ask them to do that they just reported it to them.

Sorry but maybe they thought because I'm in Disney people will be nice and not steal my stuff. I see a ton of people

I personally will not leave things unattended because it would make me nervous and people are rude and tacky no matter where you go. It really is sad :(

Oh and I agree with whoever said that if you have to steal in disney cause you can't afford your own gifts then don't go..if you can afford to go in the first place then you can afford to buy a gift.

I wonder if you can go to guest relations and measure him there and get a bracelet so all CM know he is the right height.
We have rides on our boardwalk here and as well as Sesame Place where we went this summer and each ride had their measurements "off" here and there. So what was even harder was we would go back on that ride later in the day and one ride attendant said he wasn't tall enough, while others said he cleared it fine.
I know it is hard to carry heavy bags with everything else you don't want to leave behind. That's one benefit with staying on property to have the bags sent back. :cutie: Although I know the last day they won't send it back, so we would have to carry the bags with us the last day, and we also would leave our stuff in the stroller. This is a good reminder to have it sent to front. Thanks for sharing! :santa:

Wow, it's amazing how low some people will stoop. If you think about it, tho', to a criminal WDW has to be like a giant playground full of fruit ripe for picking. I'm just glad that Disney turned the experience around for you.

I had a shoe stolen at Typhoon Lagoon once...ONE shoe. I had left my Lands End flip-flops on the ledge of the pool, and when I returned one was still there so I figured the other had fallen into the water or something. I searched and asked a lifeguard if he'd seen anything. He said, "Oh, some guy picked it up and handed it to his kid and they walked away." The lifeguard remembered because it struck him as unusual that they picked up ONE shoe, so he figured they must belong to someone in their family. Really, really, really strange (and those were my favorite shoes too...never had flip-flops as comfy since).

I wonder if you can go to guest relations and measure him there and get a bracelet so all CM know he is the right height.

I

'Fraid not. From what I understand Disney tried the wrist bands at one of their parks, but they had too many people taking them off of one child and putting them on another.

OP-I had a camera stolen at Disney World. The only thing I can think is that I stupidly left it on top of our stroller. My own fault, and I totally understand not thinking that someone would take something that wasn't worth a ton of money. But you can bet that now when I go to the parks I leave nothing on a stroller that I couldn't easily replace.

It makes me angry to know that there's these people out there. They have no buisness being on Disney property!!!:mad: I can think of many things I'd like to see happen to people like this, and no matter if they are having financial troubles or whatever, there is nothing that can excuse this!:furious:
We had taken my 3yr old grandson to universal, with our own, cheap stroller, came out of a ride and stopped a lady that was walking off with it!:scared1:
No one should have to deal with these events when in the most magical and happiest place on Earth!
I will have to make sure we send our purchases on to our resort, next trip, to be safe. And since we will be celebrating my grandsons Bday, he will be making purchases with the birthday gift card, and would be devestated to lose anything!
Only Disney could take this horrible situation, and make it magical!:wizard:

I have a sad and happy tale too.

We were in the Biergarten, and when we got up to go to the Buffet, I thought about leaving my purse, but then I thought, am I crazy? But then my dd put our bag, which had 2 t-shirts and batteries, under her chair and pushed her chair in.

When we got back to the table our bag was gone.

We asked to speak to the manager, but the waitress and manager both said, there was nothing they could do.

It really wrecked the whole mode of the meal, we couldn't even enjoy ourselves anymore.

The next day, I was cancelling an ADR at conciere at the BC and I asked if I could have an hour pass to run into Epcot to go get something. I already replaced the ESPN shirt, since the store was outside of Epcot. But I couldn't find the grey t-shirt for my dd that had the sea-gulls on it, that said, "Mine, Mine, Mine".

The conciere asked me why I just wanted an hour pass and I told her. I wasn't at all looking for compensation. I just read on the DIS that you could get an hour pass to use to do something in Epcot and you had to do it under an hour to get your money back.

The conciere handed me $50. I knew the 2 t shirts costs more plus the batteries, but I thought it was fair. She also gave me a card to use, to just order the t-shirt.

If anyone wants the e-mail, it is wdw.mail.order@disneyworld.com.
Phone # 407-363-6200.

We were shocked too that someone took our bag that fast. We were probably gone 5 minutes.

Geezus. I feel sorry for what happened to anyone who had things stolen at WDW, but come on! Where do you people live? CandyLand?

Anyone from a big city, and probably even most smaller towns, knows that everything, and I mean everything, is fair game for the low-lifes that inhabit this earth.

Next time, get a clue and protect your valuables and don't expect Disney to clean up after you. This was totally your fault, your responsiblity, and your mistake. The fact that Disney took pity on you is pretty amazing, since they had absolutely no obligation to protect you from your own carelessness.

Geezus. I feel sorry for what happened to anyone who had things stolen at WDW, but come on! Where do you people live? CandyLand?

Anyone from a big city, and probably even most smaller towns, knows that everything, and I mean everything, is fair game for the low-lifes that inhabit this earth.

Next time, get a clue and protect your valuables and don't expect Disney to clean up after you. This was totally your fault, your responsiblity, and your mistake. The fact that Disney took pity on you is pretty amazing, since they had absolutely no obligation to protect you from your own carelessness.

Ouch.

Good thing the OP didn't blame Disney for the theft! Geez, Disney World sometimes makes you feel that you are living in "Candyland". Surrounded by it's magic, you can easily forget about the not so nice things!

That being said, I'm glad that the day ended on a nice note for the OP!

Disney World sometimes makes you feel that you are living in "Candyland". Surrounded by it's magic, you can easily forget about the not so nice things!
And I believe that was the intent of Grumpier's post, albeit it that it wasn't sprinkled with much pixie dust. ;)

Anyone who thinks that 'these things can't happen at Disney' is mistaken. This reminds me of the thread where someone left $5,000 in Coach purses and cash in their car overnight in the SSR parking lot, and found it gone the next day.

Vacationers are easy targets for thieves, because they do let their guard down, and they do tend to do things which they wouldn't do at home (would anyone leave items in their unattended stroller at the mall, for instance?)

I'm glad that it worked out in the end for the OP, but this is a valuable lesson for anyone reading this thread who has left items unattended in the past, or doesn't lock valuables in their room safe, or leaves thousands of dollars of merchandise in their car.

If you wouldn't do it at home, don't do it on vacation. Disney is not encased in some magical bubble....

If you managed to get the names of the CMs that helped you, please, write a letter congratulating them, so they can be officially recognized.

Although said quite harshly for my taste, I do agree with the sentiment. Just because it's Disney doesn't mean you can leave your valuables unattended. Period.

I would never dream of leaving my stuff in my stroller. There's just too many weirdos in the world, even at Disney, to not be cautious.

With that being said, it is amazing that Disney helped you replace your stuff. Unfortunately, we as the consumers, will end up paying for it anyways.

At least this was a lesson to everyone: TAKE YOUR STUFF WITH YOU!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter