Just back--stayed at POR Alligator Bayou Bldg #14

chicky monkey

Mouseketeer
Just got back two days ago---had a great trip. Stayed at POR in Building 14 and it was perfect! Many have said that it is too noisy. NOT THE CASE AT ALL. I stayed on the second floor, which I'm sure makes things even more quiet and I never heard anything going on outside. So, if you are hesitating to stay in that building because you are afraid of the noise, DON'T BE AFRAID. It's really a perfect location and it's so close to everything.

Crowds---manageable, but the Magic Kingdom got crazy each day by 11:00 AM. Evenings were fine in all the parks.

We were there during the new Extra Magic Hour evening test and I think it was a success. EPCOT was fun on Sunday night from 9 til Midnight and getting on the big rides were easy. Disney-MGM Studios had their Extra Magic Evening on Tuesday night and it was great, but it was a good idea to ride TOT and RNR Coaster while the bulk of the crowds were in Fantasmic....once it was over, those rides got busy.

MISSION SPACE: Let me tell you something, I was so freaked about riding this ride based on all that I've heard and read, but I finally overcame my fear and decided to ride it very late on Sunday Evening (during EXTRA Magic Evening Hours). I AM SO VERY GLAD I DID. I just made sure to follow all the directions (keeping head forward and back and looking at the screen). I had such a wonderful experience and I encourage others to really try to overcome their fear of riding it. It's truly something to experience!

GROUND TRANSPORT FROM AIRPORT: We used Murray Hill Transportation and they were great. Terry was our town-car driver and she really took good care of us. I highly recommend using them. Her car was clean and she was very friendly. We will certainly request her during our next trip.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help. If you want to know about places I ate, I'll detail on that upon your request.

:wave:

Great post - thanks

and welcome home??? (as if that's a good thing)

Absolutely - tell us where you ate, what you didn't like, how was housekeeping ..... basically anything you can think of.

We leave soon & I'm getting kinda jittery about it - seem to have a need to soak in all the info I can before we get there.

We're headed there in June, can you tell me if you saw renovations anywhere? Is the Bayou section undergoing construction?, I hear that part of the mansion section is closed. Does that mean that MORE people are in alligator Bayou? Was it too crowded at the pool?
Oh, can you tell us if the food court was completely open, last visit, last year a complete section was closed..
THANK YOU!

Did you request Bldg. 14 on your reservation or was it just assigned to you?I requested Bldg.14 on my reservation last month,but when I checked in,I had been assigned to Parterre Place!:eek: I told the CM I had requested Bldg.14 and she said that it was indeed on my reservation.She said Bldg.14 was full,so I ended up in Bldg.38,which turned out to be just fine.:D

Hi Everyone!

Let's see if I can answer your questions....

No, I didn't notice at all any kind of renovations going on...but I know they are indeed going on in the mansions section of the resort. SO THAT'S A GOOD THING! The Alligator Bayou section is not undergoing any kind of renovation yet, but once the mansions are done, they'll be re-doing those rooms as well.

Pool wasn't too crowded....but it tends to get more crowded around 2pm - 4pm it seemed. No section of the food court was closed off while I was there. I think one part was closed, but it wasn't sectioned off or anything. The lights were turned off in that particular area. So, the food court looked really nice.

Yes, I had initially requested Alligator Bayou Bldg 14 when I first spoke on the phone with them. I was lucky to get it as I know requests can't always be accomodated.

Housekeeping was great...we tipped them $2 per night and they did fun stuff with the towels. Made them fancy and stuff.

I have to go eat dinner right now...but I will report on where I ate as soon as I get some time. Be back later! :wave2:

We're going in 6 days and I too have requested building 14 or 15! We'll see what we get! Can you tell me if there was a coffee maker in your room? Also, is there a microwave in the food court? Thanks so much!

We stayed in the same building, 2nd floor, on our last trip there, great location! And I'm so glad about mission space... I too have been freaking myself out about it... DH gets the teacup ride spinning so fast I think I'm going to hurl, so all the motion sickness reports for Mission Space was making me have second thoughts!
Christine

We stayed in Bldg. 14 in November on the first floor. It was noisy in the mornings due to Mousekeeping making so much noise. It really didn't bother us much though. We enjoyed the convenience of the location of the building and would request it again.

We just returned yesterday! We were in AB room 1755. I didn't get anything I requested except Alligator Bayou. The CM checking us in was new and was hell bent on getting us into a clean room immediately (11:30am). I told him I didn't mind waiting but he convinced me somehow.

No major problems with our location just pretty far from the bus stop and food areas. We solved the problem by hopping in the car and parking right next to the bus stop. Not a big deal. Rooms were great, housekeeping mediocre (cleaned room, that's it, nothing fun!) but the grounds are breathtaking. I was really amazed at how beautiful the mansion area is too! BTW, Magnolia mansion area is closed for renovation.

The pool is great, the food court has just enough selection (the pastries are great!) and Boatwrights was fabulous. I had the blackened seafood with a garlic cream sauce. So much seafood I couldn't eat it all!

I found the CM's at all the parks ultra friendly and willing to do whatever it takes to have fun. POR CM's were another story. They are certainly polite, but not loving what they do. The only exception here were the staff at Boatwrights, Lauri was especially awesome, and the ladies in the gift shop.

Transportation was easy and waits were minimal. BEWARE though, the CM's standing at the bus stops first thing in the morning aren't the most informed when it comes to getting you to other resorts for meals etc. We learned the hard way.

POR is beautiful and we will definately be returning!

Is building the closet to the pool and the food court? Are the refillable mugs worth it and what can you refill them with and do you know how much they are? Do you know if irons are available?

Bldg 14 is closest to the main bldg, irons and ironing boards (full size) are provided in your room and the mugs are definately worth it. We bought two at $12.99 each and got more than our moneys worth as each drink (small) is $1.99 plus tax. Just using them at one meal per day and occasionally out at the pool ensured we got the full value of the cost.

Glad you enjoyed POR!! And I'm glad to hear that you survived Mission Space! I'm nervous about riding it next year, but I REALLY want to!!

Originally posted by Jo-Anne
We're going in 6 days and I too have requested building 14 or 15!

Joanne,

Hopefully we will be neighbors. We check in Saturday and requested the same buildings.

:D

Atotty - we'll be on the look out for you :D It will just be DH and I on our 10th year wedding anniversary trip - probably hanging out by the quiet pool a lot and relaxing without 2 kids in tow!!! We'll be the pasty-white Canadians with 50 sunscreen on! We've also stayed in building 16 before and found it very handy, so hopefully we'll get close! See you there! Jo

Hi Jo Anne,

We'll be the family with 3 girls...11, 7 and 3 with another family of three girls 11, 8 and 4.....We'll prob be very easy to be seen **and** heard. LOL We'll try and stay far away so ya'll can have some romance. :)

In case you want to say hi, we'll have the blue stroller with the lime green bandana hanging on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter