Just Back - some random observations

We were there a couple of weeks ago and my 8 yr old niece LOVED the speedway. She could actually drive a car ON HER OWN! That's why they keep it, Every day kids get to drive a real car on their own for the first time. For them, it's not outdated at all.

I was about to say the same thing. My son loved it at 8 because he could drive and had to show his dad that this past spring when he was 10. He loves it. Me, I went shopping while they rode.....

I was wondering why there is no real public push to lose the speedway. I drove on it when I was 6 (42 now), so it has had a long life. But there is no real nostalgia or classic meaning to the ride, so why keep it.
Let the imagineers come up with their idea of future personal transportation and display it there. They are just as smart or smarter than anybody at Google!

Before Cars Land opened up in DCA I thought the Speedway could be redone as a Cars ride with just new fiberglass shells. At this point, I don't think it'll fly.

When the Autopia first opened in Disneyland it was at the dawn of the modern freeways and there were no go cart tracks anywhere so it was fun for kids to ride and a new experience.

Now, everyone drives on freeways without much thought. If kids want to drive a car then go cart tracks (which are fast and fun and not constrained to a rail to keep you on track) are everywhere.

I don't know what you'd put there, though. It's a large piece of land that could hold several attractions but there still needs to be a transition from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland.

I have nostalgia for many of the older Disney attractions but the Speedway isn't one of them. It's just sort of "there". We may ride it if it's late at night, there is no line, and we've ridden everything else and are just looking for something different. That's about it, though.

Chevys is merely okay for standard chain tex mex. We also went to the location by Disney a couple weeks ago.

We all loved 7DMT.

I didn't even realize fantasyland was new.

Crowding - They should open back pathways up that parallel Main Street during the evening parades & fireworks. Traffic does not flow well at all otherwise.

I like this idea. Don't know how it could be instituted but I like it.

Glad you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

The speedway is hot, noisy and smelly. But the kids do love to drive their own car. Wish they would change from gasoline (hot, smelly) to electric (quieter). Then give them a more snazzy look (futuristic, cars themed ?). The speedway needs a serious over haul.

I'm sure that if there were no long lines at Autopia, Disney would do something about it. But, when we were there..June 1-10...the line was always fairly long...longer than I would have thought possible for an attraction like that!
The others? Well...HoP isn't going anywhere any time soon. And CoP? That's the one thing that is quintessentially 'Walt Disney'...that was his baby. I sure would hate to see it go anywhere.
As as adding Ichabod Crane to Liberty Sq? I don't know. Isn't Liberty Sq supposed to be historical? Ichabod Crane wasn't 'real'...yes, a much loved character but not real life. Now, you could put something like that in another place.

For me, MK is all about the classics. I mean, seriously...can we talk about Peter Pan's Flight? Talk about dated. BUT...try and do away with it. That's not to say that I don't love it...I do. I do it at least once each trip. But it sure isn't 'all that and a bag of chips'! MK is about kids....it should always be about the kids and their families.

Here's hoping that the AvatarLand will offer something a bit more 'adult' when it comes to attractions. That would be the right spot for more intense coasters or dark themed attractions.

I absolutely agree with you about the Speedway. It is loud, smelly, hot, and the line is amazingly long. I think part of what also has me disillusioned with it is that we live reasonably close to HersheyPark where there is a similar attraction with much better theming.

As for updating some of the other attractions, there is a nostalgia for some of those shows. My mother always goes to each of the ones you mentioned and loves them all.

I just did the HoP for the first time last week and was amazed. The movements of the presidents was so realistic! Even DH (who is not american and doesnt understand american patriotism was moved).

We rode 7DMT last week and thoroughly enjoyed it! No, it is not a thrill coaster, but it is a well themed family ride. All 4 of us liked it. And the update to Fantasyland was beautiful! Beast's castle, Rapunzel's tower ... I didnt even recognize some areas!

I also liked FP+ and thought it was effective. There were some areas where we waited for a ride, but overall we never had to wait in a prohibitively long line. Maelstrom and a late night Space Mountain line (without a FP) were both about 40 minutes and were the longest lines we had. On our MK day we did add on extra FP after our original 3, but by then there weren't too many options (though we did get BTMR which helped us avoid that line). Finding the FP+ kiosks was a bit annoying at times, but in the old system you had to physically go to the actual attraction so at least that isnt the system now.

We tried to leave MK during the 2nd Main Street Electrical Parade and it was a mess. Thankfully they have it planned to allow people to pass across the parade route between attractions so we were able to get out.

I agree about FutureWorld in Epcot - really need to use some of the empty space to create another attraction or two. But we don't run out of things to do since we then move to World Showcase but I never seem to have enough time to enjoy WS thoroughly!

Re: the pathways parallel to Main Street - it's my understanding that they will be doing that eventually. I think it's part of the Hub expansion. (Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Lines are long at the speedway because it's a slow loader. Even when there's a short line, it's still a long wait.

Back from a 7 night stay at Orange Lake, where we spent out days as well as a few late evenings in WDW. Very fun trip, but very exhausting! Here's some observations we made:

I get that a big part of the appeal of WDW is revisiting favorite attractions, and that's why so many attractions are so long lived. However, unless I'm grossly mistaken, Walt never wanted his parks to become static museums. So, why exactly is the Hall of Presidents still around? Or the Tiki Birds? Or Tomorrowland Speedway? Instead of HoP, I'd love to see an Ichobod Crane attraction.

The Speedway was especially off-putting. My wife's car nearly stalled out; our party didn't race, instead we were driving in a line. Wow, that's exciting ... what I get to do every day on the highway. The cars were difficult to steer as well. This attraction came across as poorly maintained, pure and simple. What would be really cool would be to replace part of its footprint with a 2nd node for the Peoplemover, so the PM is a legit transport option within Tomorrowland. And, surely Disney could put something else far more in line with Tomorrowland's theme in the remaining space. That's a lot of land dedicated to a really bad attraction.

7DMT - I don't get the complaints people have with this. This is a brilliant attraction. It was the first time we'd seen the new Fantasyland, and I was blown away. Yes, Harry P across town is awesome, but so is this entire new area. The typical Disney theming and attention to detail in all of New Fantasyland was very much in evidence and I loved all of it. Turns out 7DMT was our last attraction on this trip, and my wife and I lucked out and scored front row seats, so that was a nice bonus as well.

Under the Sea - Totally new to us, and we all loved it. The queue is outstanding, and the ride itself is wonderful. It's a basic dark ride, yes, no different from so many others Disney has, but personally, I can't get enough of them.

The food - ahh, the food. Some of it was average, most of it was superb, and all of it was ridiculously expensive. In Disney's defense, every restaurant was full, so I can't blame them for their prices. We're already going through withdrawals on the food, and we haven't even been back 24 hours yet. BTW, if you're looking for a great offsite place, eat at Chey's off 192. Best tex-mex I've ever eaten.

FP+ - we had no issues; our typical day was to arrive at park opening, hit the high demand rides via standby, then uses passes for other major attractions later in the day and visit high capacity and/or low demand attractions right after. I loved FP+ because I no longer have to sprint to Soarin for paper passes and then run to rendezvous with the rest of my party someplace else. We only used our daily 3, and didn't try to get more. We usually only stayed in a park 6 or maybe 7 hours at most. We also once used a FP for the Fantasy parade, which is an excellent use for a pass.

MK Crowding - They should open back pathways up that parallel Main Street during the evening parades & fireworks. Traffic does not flow well at all otherwise.

Epcot's FutureWorld - this place has too many empty buildings and under utilized spaces. We loved the attractions that are here, but if you get to the park early, and use FP+, you're gonna run out of things to do here fast.

Overall, while the crowds were thick, our wait times were minimal on the vast majority of attractions we tried. I especially enjoyed taking my f-i-l with us, as it was his first visit to WDW. After we left yesterday, he made a funny joke, 'Well, I've had my Disney-oscopy, so I should be good for the next 10 years.'
Like your FIL's sense of humor!! Think he may have coined a new phrase, -Disneyoscopy - good for ten years !! He-he-he

Another thing to consider if they decided to revamp the Speedway is they could also tackle the "Disney takes 5 years to complete anything" stigma. If the entire revamp consists of new futuristic or Cars related racers installed, and some Radiator Springs artwork, one would thing this project would take 6 months MAX.

A revamp into a cars theme would be cool, but those of you wanting to get rid of it completely have clearly not been to WDW with a young boy recently. After Buzz, it was my son's favorite ride. He would be devastated if they were taken away!

First I am one that does not overly care for the Speedway but I can attest that 4-8 year olds love this ride and up to at least 12 love driving their own car. ANother words it isn't likely to go anywhere anytime soon. The other attractions mentioned are probably more miss than hit with me. That said MK can stay put for a few years in my opinion. The areas that need addressed are the other 3 parks.
Avatar addresses AK. No I am not a huge fan of the movie but I can more than live with this decision and will go to it when it opens.
EPCOT. Future world needs another appealing attraction. I think one more country with an attraction would help world showcase.
DHS - More Star Wars I would be fine with. More Pixar attractions I would be fine with. Both would be even better. The bottom line DHS needs at minimum one more family attraction and preferrably 2 more.
Bottomline MK has enough to keep people going to it for years. The other 3 parks are the ones they need to address (with the fact Avatar is how AK is being addressed).

Don't think HOP should or will go away anytime soon. Walt had such a strong sense of Patriotism and idolized Lincoln so much that it would really be disheartening to remove that from the park.

I doubt the Speedway will go away anytime soon either just due to the popularity...though I agree it takes up some prime real estate and is not any different from car rides at other parks across the country...but then again, most parks also have a version of the tea cups and we wouldn't dare suggest ditching them for that reason.

The COP...I hope it never goes away...like Small World it is an institution and the song is one of the first things I think of when I think of WDW...and Walt himself.

BTW, if you're looking for a great offsite place, eat at Chey's off 192. Best tex-mex I've ever eaten.

Assuming you mean Chuy's and not Chevy's....yes! I went to school in Houston and it was my favorite place! I actually may be more excited to eat at Chuy's than pretty much any single part of the rest of the trip!

Re: the pathways parallel to Main Street - it's my understanding that they will be doing that eventually. I think it's part of the Hub expansion. (Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I thought I read they were doing something along that line.

I'd LOVE a Nightmare Before Christmas ride!

You need to head west and see the NBC overlay of HM at DL.

A revamp into a cars theme would be cool, but those of you wanting to get rid of it completely have clearly not been to WDW with a young boy recently. After Buzz, it was my son's favorite ride. He would be devastated if they were taken away!

ITA! My three year old loved being able to "drive" a car, and I remember thinking it was a great ride back when I could finally reach the pedals on my own and let my little sister steer.

Just imagine if they would re-skin Speedway with Tron Legacy lighting and sound, especially at night. For that matter, what if Tomorrowland lit up in neon blues, oranges, and reds at night. Maybe with some hidden details that only show up under black light. I think it's a shame that Disney has such a visually stunning property and has done next to nothing with it in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter