Just Back...Some Observations

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
We spent 4 nights at the DL Hotel (6/10-14) and had a (as usual) great time.

Highlights were the Aladdin show and (of course) Indy and great meals at the Jazz Kitchen and The Wine Restaurant at DCA.

Some noticeable oddities were evident though. By oddites I mean situations present that we would never see at WDW. First, as it was the last week of local school there were MANY field trips to DL. Because of the large number of young folks we got a first hand look at how easy line cutting is at DL and how 'tolerated' it seems to be. We saw massive cutting at the Matterhorn - Once while we were just passing by! I applaud the 'laidback' Californians for just letting it go but cutting on this scale in Florida would probably produce bloodhsed!

Next, the Fantasmic show returned while we were there and unbelievably (to us) by 3:00 (for a 9:00 show) people were already staking out their locations. Not just by standing, mind you, but by laying big blankets and tarps on the ground to denote their space. Most of these were accompanied by one "sitter", but a couple just had weights holding the blanket down while the guests were out roaming the Park! By 4:00 there was only a skinny one lane walk way left throuh the area..Foot traffic WAS ridiculous. I know Fantasmic is a good show but this behavior was unacceptable, IMO...

Apart from the oddities our trip was great. I have a somewhat different opinion of DL management and DCA after this trip but still enjoyed the offerings much.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Boy...we just got back and I had many of the same observations.

We go to DLR at least 3 times a year and it never has been this bad.

While I had seen the blanket thing (en masse) at WDW, I never had seen it (en masse) at DL or DCA. The Light parade route was littered with blankets and assorted objects several hours in advance of the parade. it looked terrible. I was tempted to get a big bag and turn it all in to lost and found.

We just returned on the 15th. I didn't notice the line cutting but did see the large groups of school kids.

We didn't even try to see Fantasmic because of the situation you described. We did see it once at Disneyland when our kids were little but now we just totally prefer the WDW set up because of the stadium. We just can't devote hours to holding a space for the show and if you don't there's no place to watch!

It is a little weird experiencing the different policies between WDW and DL. You'd think they'd be the same. For instance at WDW you can get on the train and right when the park opens the train takes off (we'd do this to get around to Splash quickly without going through the masses). At DL we tried this and not only did the train not leave the station at 9:00 it was not even AT the station at 9:00. They said it would leave its depot or where ever it was put for the night at 9:00.

But we did have a wonderful time and hope you did too. Disneyland has some great rides that aren't at WDW! We loved Aladdin & Indy too!

I was there from the 6th-10th. There were TONS of field trips!!! The kids doing the line cutting were getting really annoying! I have never seen that at WDW. They were so loud, I couldn't here a word in Haunted Mansion. Fantasmic wasn't showing yet while I was there. Pirates was broken 50% of the time.

But I loved it and can't wait to go back! (When children are in school!)

We encountered a LOT of broken rides too. Pirates several times, Matterhorn, BTMRR, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh & Grizzly River Rapids all at one time or another were down for problems during our stay. Oh yeah, and Splash Mtn. too.

Originally posted by Peter Pirate
Next, the Fantasmic show returned while we were there and unbelievably (to us) by 3:00 (for a 9:00 show) people were already staking out their locations. Not just by standing, mind you, but by laying big blankets and tarps on the ground to denote their space. Most of these were accompanied by one "sitter", but a couple just had weights holding the blanket down while the guests were out roaming the Park! By 4:00 there was only a skinny one lane walk way left throuh the area..Foot traffic WAS ridiculous. I know Fantasmic is a good show but this behavior was unacceptable, IMO...
It is this reason and this reason only that I have considered cancelling our trip to Disneyland this August. Sorry, but in my opinion Fantasmic! is not worth the crowds it produces around NOS. They could announce tomorrow that Fantasmic! is being retired and I would have very little problem with that.

Don't get me wrong, Fantasmic! is a wonderful show, but enough is enough! Now that Space Mountain is down, the western part of Disneyland will be even more crowded than usual, given some of the reports from the past few weeks.

BTMichael

I'm glad to know about that Fantasmic crowds in the walkways situation. I was thinking about backing off that Fantasmic Dessert reservation I'm going to make - after all, $47, twice, is a lot to pay for a piece of cake and a glass of water and a show I've already paid for with my admission ticket. But now, no way - looks like I need to plan to buy it. Isn't all that stuff blocking the walkways some sort of a code violation? Sounds like it could be a disaster/lawsuit waiting to happen.

Also, it's interesting to observe the same operation carried out in a different social culture. I thought it was just me, but I noticed that even on the phone the reservationists in California sound a little different than the reservationists in Florida. Maybe it's a southern gentility thing, but to me (and this is very subtle, understand) (with one shining exception) (an hispanic lady whose name I should have gotten) the phone contacts I have had to Anaheim have been ever so slightly less Disneyesque, a tad more hurried, a tad less patient, making me feel the need to get to the point of my call more quickly. It's not a criticism, really, no one was remotely rude - just those differences. Anyone else feel the same way? I don't know - maybe it is just me. :D

Lest I should have offended any of my California friends, let me make one other observation.

Suppose Disney were to try to be Disney in a place like New York. Can you imagine? ;) Forgedda bowd dit! (I can talk this way because I'm from that part of the country.)

HEY! I heard that.:smooth:

what with the political situation and all. (Gees. I can't seem to shut up about this.) :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter