Just back!! Quiet Pools?

No, you don't need to muzzle or medicate your children with ritalin so they don't disturb people. But when children get out of hand at a quiet pool, I think it is not too much to ask for parents to remind them that people are relaxing and they should stop screaming and or splashing (I mean splashing more than what is usually associated with pool play).

Regarless of what it is called, there are currently no resort pools in WDW which restrict children or noise levels during daytime hours.

Obviously, courtesy is required. But, splashing and children (or adults) making noise in any pool in WDW is allowed. If someone wants to start a policy of restricting noise levels or designating an adults only pool, fine. But I doubt that Disney will want to stat policing noise levels (how does one determine what is loud - carry a decibel meter?) or building an additional pool for adults only. I certainly would not want my dues increased to pay for another pool.

I would certainly be against restricting certain people from any of the existing common elements for several reasons - you're heading down a slippery slope. If you restrict children from the quiet pool next they can restrict DVC memebers from any resort pool - or restrict them to only the quiet pool. I'm not sure how much (if any) change is allowed by the POS, but I wouldn't want to open that can of worms.

I am, of course, trying to be facetious, which doesn't always come across in a post.

I can't disagree that at a certain point in the evening noise becomes disruptive to people in rooms near the pool who are trying to sleep. It strikes me as more a matter of etiquette than rules to have one's kids consider others and to pull them from the pool if necessary. One solution may be to close the pool at 10:00 p.m., though I am sure many would object to that.

I also can't disagree that splashing others or screaming at the top of one's lungs at the pool is not appropriate behavior at any time of the day. And I supervise my kids so that won't happen (or stop soon after occurring).

I guess I took issue with a tone I perceived in the initial post that equates "quiet pool" with "adult and little adult" pools. And I would object to any attempt to limit the pools that way since they are a scarce resource.

A "rule" against "excessive noise" seems like a good idea. The problem is that "excessive" would be a matter of subjective perspective and would be more likely to set off incidents between members with CMs in the middle than to solve any problems.

It is too people can't find some middle ground and simply be considerate of others. It is more an issue of etiquette than rules.

DanG

Where is it that the pools are called "quiet" pools? I know that people continually refer to them that way here on these boards. However, when I was at OKW the signs there said "Village Pool", which implies something completely different.

Have these "quiet" pools been officially called that in the documents or is that just how people refer to them and therefore the name stuck?

Sometimes it amazes me when I read these posts about the things that get under people's skin -- especially when they are on vacation! When we go to WDW we are in heaven, every trip is better than the one before. (Of course we are lucky we have never had an illness, accident or theft -- those are major vacation poopers!) Annoying things do happen, though, how could they not when you come in contact with thousands of people, but I couldn't imagine carrying that around during my trip and having it mar my memories of a great vacation! Don't sweat the small stuff.

I just thank God everyday that my daughter has lungs to shout, hands to splash and legs to run and kick with. As someone posted earlier, if you want quiet, sell your DVC and build a private, backyard pool.

Ooops, my family was probably some of the folks with not-so-quiet kids. We needed to move to the smaller pool because of the kids games going on in the big pool, and I have timid 2yo and a 5yo who needed to not be splashed by the active kids.

Unfortunately, that didn't mean they were really quiet, and they most certainly were kids. They didn't do a lot of yelling and screaming, and we did our best to keep the 2yo from running around the pool, but we weren't always successful. I also didn't realize that the 2 "small" pools were supposed to actually be quiet.

Perhaps we could have one really quiet pool (either the Inn side or the Community hall side) and one pool for people with children who would otherwise be intimidated by the Luna Pool...

Just a thought.

MikeBW

There was certainly no reason to become sarcastic. RHK43 was just stating his opinion.

We all are aware that children are very much a part of WDW. Certainly one would have to have fallen to earth not to know that WDW and children are practically inseparable. I would dare say that some of us parents would have never been to WDW were it not for our children.

I also am under the impression that the “Quiet Pool” is intended to mean just that…quiet, as in “little noise, free from noise and commotion, etc.” At least according to the World English Dictionary that is exactly how quiet is defined. Nothing mentioned in there about lack of “available activities.”????

So for RHK43 to expect a little peace and quiet is not something unusual or unreasonable as he assumed as I that quiet meant peaceful, little noise, no disturbance, etc.

At Luna Park, yes the children can yell and scream to their hearts content because that is the main pool where all except diving, dangerous horseplay and running are permitted. It is ideal for children. On the other hand, one would think the quiet pool supposedly offers some respite to us adults who are looking for some relative peace and quiet. I don’t believe that it means “No Rules Pool” merely because there are no lifeguards.

If the parents wish to take their children to the “quiet pool” they should understand that a good number of us bathers are there to relax, read, take the sun and experience a minimum amount of noise. I know that kids will be kids but it is up to us parents to instill a sense of respect for others if that is to be achieved. And no, we shouldn’t have to stay home to enjoy that luxury.

On the other hand, if quiet doesn’t mean quiet than Disney had better change the name, so a good many of us can move on with the English language. Why on earth would the definition of “quiet” on the Disney Cruise Line change when you arrive on land????
I guess it all depends on what the definition of “is” is.

Pat

Originally posted by Tiggeriffic
Where is it that the pools are called "quiet" pools? I know that people continually refer to them that way here on these boards. However, when I was at OKW the signs there said "Village Pool", which implies something completely different. Have these "quiet" pools been officially called that in the documents or is that just how people refer to them and therefore the name stuck?
<b><font color=#ff0f0f>These are excellent questions. Here are links to Disney web pages, some with photos that not only definitely identify them as "Quiet" but also make it quite clear that "quiet" here means "get away from it all":<ul><li><a href="http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/resorts/photos/photoindex?id=BWVPhotograph5Photo">"Quiet Pool"</a>: "Relax by a quiet pool and enjoy a cool cocktail." with BWV photo
<li><a href="http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/resorts/photos/photoindex?id=BWIPhotograph5Photo">"Quiet Pools"</a>: "The Resort's two quiet pools give you a chance to get away from it all.", with BWI photo
<li><a href="http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/resorts/recreation/recreationindex?id=VWLRecreationRecGrping">VWL Recreation</a>: Pools - "One Quiet Pool"
<li><a href="http://dvc.disney.go.com/disneyvacationclub/resorts/accommodationsindex?id=BoardwalkVillasAccommodationsGrp">BWV Amenities</a>: "Quiet Pool"
</ul>

The BWI page is a reminder that this is NOT just a DVC issue. There are many other web pages at the various non-DVC resorts that specifically identify "quiet" pools.</font></b>

It's all relative and I see the "quiet pools" as being overall and on average quieter than the main pools. I still feel that to get upset over kids being loud because it's a "quiet pool" is unreasonable. Now if they kids are out of line, that's a problem at any pool and should be addressed. Now if you want to lobby for an adult only pool, that's ok but it will need to be an extra pool as there's not one that would be appropriate to convert, IMO. Sorry, just my opinion.

patmcg,

Yes I was being sarcastic because I find it unbelievable that someone can complain about kids making noise at WDW. I don't condone screaming and yelling at 2 AM, but if kids are having fun in the pool - what is the big deal? The BWV "Quiet" pool is in front of the community hall - who do you think is going to be in there? Senior Citizens playing cribbage.
My point is if someone wants a nice quiet place to lie in the sun, WDW is not the best place for that.

Originally posted by Tiggeriffic
Where is it that the pools are called "quiet" pools? I know that people continually refer to them that way here on these boards. However, when I was at OKW the signs there said "Village Pool", which implies something completely different. Have these "quiet" pools been officially called that in the documents or is that just how people refer to them and therefore the name stuck?

<b><font color=#ff0f0f>I realized that in my previous note, I only provided the links for the answer to the first question but not the second. So here is the answer to Tiggeriffic's second question:

I used the FIND feature in Adobe Acrobat to search every section of both the Member Guidelines and the Member Benefits Guidebook. Neither of them have any references to any pool by name in any section. There are no guidelines for pool use in our documents.

This again underscores the point that <u>this is NOT just a DVC issue: every Disney resort that has a Disney-designated quiet pool has the same issue</u>. Disney is definitely advertising the quiet pools as a place to get away from it all. This has nothing specifically to do with DVC, which is why it is not addressed in our documents.</b></font>

I have to agree with the majority here. It is unreasonable to expect these pools to be 'quiet'. I also was under the assumption that what was meant by quiet was less active and not having a 'major attraction' or slide.

I am single, so I am no speaking as a parent. WDW is definitely not the place I would go if I was expecting any type of real 'quiet'. If that is the type of atmosphere I want, I will go somewhere else. I go to WDW knowing that there will be kids everywhere and noise, etc.

I once stayed at Wilderness Lodge during Grad Nights, and you could hear the music from MK in our rooms. This actually went on until about 2:00 am. I just considered it a 'free' Backstreet Boys concert!

Would like to say I am surprised by some of the posts, but I am not. We live in a "whats best for me society", consideration for others has gone by the wayside. For those of you who cannot read, the original post said nothing about kids not being allowed, just try and be considerate of others who are there trying to relax. Quiet means quiet, noise level that is, all I am saying is be considerate when you go to thses pools that people are generally there becasue they want to relax and have some quiet. Just because you are at Disney does not mean you have to be inconsiderate of others. Think about it folks!!!

RHK43 I was going to respond to those ugly posts by I figured why bother. Just because someone suggests a little quiet at the "quiet pools" he's told to sell his membership. I'm glad I bought before I found this board I might have thought that most of the members were this way.

Dan thanks for the post, the replies by some members to my original posts says it all........its all about them, its sad.............

rhk43,

I think the tone of your original post may have started the furor

From your most recent post

the original post said nothing about kids not being allowed, just try and be considerate of others who are there trying to relax

But your first post said, quite clearly

No kids allowed, yea right.

So, you can see where people may have gotten the idea you didn't want kids there.

rhk43, You mentioned that you were going to call MS. I believe all of us would like to know what their response was to your comments.

Thanks to LIDisneyFan for pointing out the item in the original post that started this whole debate.

When I go on a WDW vacation, the only place I am assured of (and expect) peace and quiet is in my room -- my personal space. I think the key here is that we are talking about a public area where thousands of people have access at any given time.

I am at a loss as to how we could be considered thinking only of ourselves when we are the ones who are liberal as to what is acceptable behavior in a "public" area. I'm only thinking of myself when I don't care if the kids in the pool are playing Marco Polo or the baby in the water is shrieking with happiness?? :confused:

Here is the portion of your original post that applies.
No kids allowed, yea right. If it is supposed to be a quiet pool, then enforce it!! I am writing to member services to voice my displeasure about it. If they don't monitor who goes to the pool, then don't advertise it as a quiet pool. I have no problem with kids being there, but not screaming and hollering and that sort of stuff. Other than that, another great trip!!
No kids allowed, yea right. If it is supposed to be a quiet pool, then enforce it!! I am writing to member services to voice my displeasure about it. If they don't monitor who goes to the pool, then don't advertise it as a quiet pool. I have no problem with kids being there, but not screaming and hollering and that sort of stuff. Other than that, another great trip!!
You then said:
Would like to say I am surprised by some of the posts, but I am not. We live in a "whats best for me society", consideration for others has gone by the wayside. For those of you who cannot read, the original post said nothing about kids not being allowed, just try and be considerate of others who are there trying to relax. Quiet means quiet, noise level that is, all I am saying is be considerate when you go to thses pools that people are generally there becasue they want to relax and have some quiet. Just because you are at Disney does not mean you have to be inconsiderate of others. Think about it folks!!!

I haven't gone back and re read the entire thread but I know that some of my comments were amoung the strongest. All I said was that I felt your expectation was unreasonable. No personal attack intended, no nastiness, just an honest observation of my opinion. It may be that you or others feel some of my expecations are unreasonable as well, you're entitled to that opinion as well. I hope we can disagree on principal or specifics and still be cordial or even friends without the words being considered "ugly", if not, there is a problem.

I've never considered the "sell if you don't like it" an appropriate option. I normally like to work from the inside for change. As for
Dan thanks for the post, the replies by some members to my original posts says it all........its all about them, its sad
, it seems to me that the relatively negative posts were not about what's best for them but rather an honest review of your expectations WHICH WAS ABOUT YOU, as it should have been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter