Just back - our experience with crowds, wait times & FP

aj2hall

Mouseketeer
We came home a week ago from our trip & I'm missing Disney already. We had a wonderful time, but the crowds & lines were a lot longer than expected. We were there from Feb 19-March 3, so President's day week crowds, half marathon, mardi gras and the start of spring breaks all contributed to the crowd levels. I also think the weather this winter, lots of cold & snow has many families escaping to the south for a break. When I made our reservations, the cast member mentioned that she had a talked to a lot of people in snowy areas that day.
The only time we were able to walk on rides was our MK evening from 9 - 10 pm (no parade, 8 pm fireworks). We arrived at park opening but by 9:15 toy story mania, Soarin, Peter Pan and Kilimanjaro Safari all had 45 minute stand-by wait times. On our AK days, we didn't use out fast passes for Everest, because the fast pass lines were so long. Single rider lines were MUCH shorter. I think things will get better with FP, but its still so new, it takes time to scan the bands or cards twice and many visitors are still learning. Lots of times people were in line, but had to step aside because they were too early or even, in some cases didn't have a FP. Something different with the new FP, is that visitors are using it at park opening. With the old system, the earliest return times were 9:30 - 9:45. For our trip, anyway, that first hour window with relatively short stand by wait times seemed to disappear. We followed touring plans and easy WDW's advice for the most recommended parks. But days when crowds were expected to be a 2 or 3 (on touring plans), they were a 5 or 6. We had a great trip and were able to do most of the things we wanted to, just experienced longer wait times and bigger crowds.

I agree with your assessment. We just got back from a trip (March 7-9) as well and experienced many of the same things. The new system will take some getting used to, particularly as many people learn to use MDE and FP+ at the same time.

My biggest issue with the current system is the removal of spontaneity. I used to enjoy getting to the park, assessing the crowds, and coming up with a strategy based on what legacy fastpasses you could accumulate. Now everything is planned and I feel like it has stripped some of the adventure from the day.

The crowds did feel heavy to me and I'm not sure what to chalk that up to. We were there for the first running of the new Festival of Fantasy parade, which probably contributed to the crowds. Away from that, maybe spring breakers added some.

Generally though, the lines did feel longer. I know the data will suggest that the lines are not longer. Perhaps they feel longer because we're actually waiting in them now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter