• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back...new extra magic hours is a joke!

Kathy C

Mouseketeer
We just got back on Saturday and overall had an enjoyable trip. We are vacation club members and stayed at Old Key West. Our room location was great - we were in building 14 and right across the street from the Hospitality House. We rented a car this time which we don't usually do. We waited to go into the Magic Kingdom until Wednesday because the park stays open three hours later. They start giving out wristbands two hours prior to park closing (9:00 pm this day) for guests staying at Disney resorts. Supposedly you have to show a resort ID to get a wristband - they didn't ask to see mine. We watched the new fireworks show which was wonderful and got a snack and waited for the park to clear out some before going to get on a ride. We were there until 10:30 and never rode anything. The park was packed - more so than during the day that day. When we got on the monorail, the people in our car also said they hadn't been able to get on anything. Many of the people walking around didn't even have wristbands on and maybe when they went to get on an attraction, they were turned away who knows. I'd much rather pay the $12-$15 to enjoy a less crowded park. It's nice to have perks but some of them are worth paying for. I think it would also be nice if they made an announcement after the fireworks telling people that didn't have wristbands and weren't staying at Disney resorts that the park was closed. When we left at 10:30 pm, they were still giving out wristbands. This, of course, is just my opinion.

We were able to ride Soarin and it was wonderful!!! They said they expect 2-3 hours waits when it finally opens. The smell of the orange groves and pine trees is so neat. It is a not to miss attraction.

We ate at Flying Fish and Artist Point - had great meals at both. Flying Fish was a little pricey. We both had iced tea, split an appetizer, each had our own entree, and the bill with tip was $110 (but we're on vacation and don't mind)!

Epcot was not very busy and we were able to get on everything we wanted. Anyway, overall we really did our trip but I think they need to rethink the extra park hours at night. Any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Kathy

Extra magic hours are not a joke. If the park is not having extra magic hours, it would be closed to everybody.

Extra magic hours are park open hours, not park-not-crowded hours.

Guests without wristbands are supposed to be denied entracne to rides and shows. Wristbands are supposed to be given out at all times.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I couldn't agree more with you. We were also there that Wednesday night and the park was even more packed than it was during they day when i was there. I attempted to go on Space Mountain right after the fireworks and the line was all the way to Astro-Orbiter, it was crazy. Attempted a few other rides but all had the same result too packed. Ended up going on POC jsut out of principle and left. I would have no problem to pay anothe $10-$15 for a much less crowded aprk. I never did understand why they go rid of those E-Nights.

Thanks for posting your trip report KathyC! :flower: I figured that it would be more crowded at night for the EMH. Most people like to sleep in and stay out late (like my family). We'll most likely try it just to see how it goes, I just won't expect to be the only ones in the park! ;)

:hourglass

We felt the same way, although some of the lines looked worse from the outside than they did once you entered. We rode Thunder Mountain, and it took about twenty minutes to move through the line, which was still better than the standby line would have been during the day. The parks were very crowded, and I had trouble imagining that it was probably even more crowded the week before! We rode Pirates, and that line took around 20 minutes as well. We started joking that the actual standby time was at least double the time posted at the entrance to the attractions. So in conclusion, we also missed the old E ride nights, but then again, we have never visited during Spring Break before, so we knew we were in for it! We'd do the EMH at the MK again, since it was fun to see the MK all lit up, and we enjoyed Wishes, it just wasn't that great for riding the big rides. I don't think the EMH nights at the other parks would be worth it though, since they have so few attractions to ride. :flower:

Were we there the same night? We went on Wednesday night and I didn't think it was crowded at all. :confused3 We rode BTMRR twice and practically walked on both times. Did HM, Buzz, saw Mickey's Philharmagic, as well as a few other attractions. We didn't ride SM because it was just me and DD7 and she doesn't like it, but we waited no longer than 10 minutes or so for everything else. She and I had a great time that night. :) I did notice though, that the CMs were not checking wristbands for the rides.

Bring Back E-nights! I'd much rather pay the extra we always looked forward to enights.

Why aren't they checking for wristbands? That hardly seems fair. We pay the additional $$$$$ to stay at a Disney resort, and then those who don't are getting the same perks for free. We are leaving in 2 1/2 wks. :banana: :banana: Hope things improve by then!! :flower:

Have to agree - not fond of EMH in the evening the way they work now. They are not really "park open hours", they are "park kinda open hours". Besides the crowds and lines, leaving the MK was a real challenge. The only way to the TTC or any of the monorail resorts was the resort monorail and it was very, very packed. It took us well over an hour to get to our car after we left the gate. I know it was this way with e-ticket night too but their were less people.

Did I understand that you got a writband without them asking for resort ID? I heard recently that they were not only asking for resort ID, they were also asking for picture ID to make sure you were the same person as the one carrying the resort ID (I noted this because when I went in January, DS and I accidently switched, so he was carrying my resort room key and me carrying his). Now, they're sometimes not asking for either? The one thing I wish is that they would continue FP throughout EMH. In January, it was as crowded as during the day, but no FP to help avoid long waits.

S. C. said:
Bring Back E-nights! I'd much rather pay the extra we always looked forward to enights.

The one GOOD thing about EMH is that ALL parks participate, not ONLY MK which is what was happening with E-Nights. Sorry, but I like the new EMH. JMHO! :cool1:

I agree. DH and I did two e-ride nights during our 2003 honeymoon and we were there for EMH this past Wednesday just like you were. We were very disappointed in how crowded it was. It was still better than a packed park, but nothing near the beautiful thing that was an e-ride night.

How bad would it be trying to get out of the MK on an EMH evening, a little while after Wishes? :worried: (I'm an offsite guest, so no EMH for me.) :sad2:

Has anyone found it better at Epcot's EMH evening? :listen:

I am going in May and now am wondering about what people are saying. Is it just because this may still be Spring Break time and parks a little mroe crowded than usual? On an evening EMH day was the park crowded for the entire day from morning, afternoon, and early evening?

Any feedback on Epcot Evening EMH?

How long are waits typically during evening EMH versus during the day. Was it that people expect the EMH time to be less crowded?

Simba's Mom - Yes, you read right. They didn't ask for resort or picture ID's from either myself or my husband - they just put those wristbands on. I think for the most part spring break was over. We were there from April 4-9 and from reading this board, most people either had spring break before then or later in April - even the amount of points to rent at Old Key West dropped on April 3. We were also in the park at 10:00 - 2:30 that day and were able to walk on some attractions. Fantasyland was packed on Wednesday night much more so than during the day. We really were disappointed to see so many people walking around without wristbands. I'd like to know if they were indeed turned away from the attractions or how many people were in the park with wristbands that shouldn't have had them. Again, we would much rather pay for the E-nights, but that's just our opinion.

Kathy C said:
Simba's Mom - Yes, you read right. They didn't ask for resort or picture ID's from either myself or my husband - they just put those wristbands on. I think for the most part spring break was over. We were there from April 4-9 and from reading this board, most people either had spring break before then or later in April - even the amount of points to rent at Old Key West dropped on April 3. We were also in the park at 10:00 - 2:30 that day and were able to walk on some attractions. Fantasyland was packed on Wednesday night much more so than during the day. We really were disappointed to see so many people walking around without wristbands. I'd like to know if they were indeed turned away from the attractions or how many people were in the park with wristbands that shouldn't have had them. Again, we would much rather pay for the E-nights, but that's just our opinion.

I'm hoping this isn't "quite" the case in the middle of August.. but I'm not holding my breath. Just a question. Have any of you all complained or asked someone at Disney about this? Maybe if enough people complained about all the "uninvited" guests and made comment on how they were paying for this privilege by staying at a Disney resort it might be better run? Just wondering.
Nancy :sad2:

Well I figured it would be very difficult to get every non-resort guest out of the park. I thought they just could not ride the rides.

Somehow, though, on E-ride nights, they were able to get people to leave who weren't Resort guests - so it is possible. I'm so sad to hear about how crowded these EMH nights - even more crowded than during the day. Extra hours is one of the main reasons why we are staying in WDW.

tinkerbelle22 said:
Somehow, though, on E-ride nights, they were able to get people to leave who weren't Resort guests - so it is possible. I'm so sad to hear about how crowded these EMH nights - even more crowded than during the day. Extra hours is one of the main reasons why we are staying in WDW.

the BIG difference with E-nights and EMH now is the money$$!
They had to enforce other people poaching rides and hanging around because they hadn't PAID and other people had. They really never cleared out the park with non-paying guests, they just wouldn't allow them on rides.
Now it seems to be much more lenient with allowing guests to hang around regardless.
In fact have you ever been asked to show a resort ID to go to and early morning park??? In over 10 trips I have never had to prove I was an onsite guest.
The current system is not very effective and lacks enforcement, however Extra Magic hours will really will never be that great because you have the potential for too many people to attend for no additional cost.
Think about it, WDW has OVER 25,000 HOTEL ROOMS. Average guests per room 2, could be up to 50,000 PEOPLE AT EXTRA MAGIC HOURS. The only way for this system to be very beneficial for us is for ALL PARKS TO OFFER EXTRA MAGIC HOURS ON THE SAME NIGHT!
Other than that just a huge recipe for disaster.

We stayed for Wed. night EMH and had to show our resort ID to get our wristbands. And while we were getting on rides they made us show our wristbands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter