Just Back. My Thoughts...

smi727

Mouseketeer
I'm mostly a lurker but I thought I'd post some thoughts about our latest vacation. We stayed at All Star Sports from Nov 14-21. Myself, DH, DD4 and DD1 in one room and my parents in a connecting room. All Star Sports surpassed my expectations. From rooms to food court to pool, it was clean and well maintained. We never waited more than 15 min for a bus to any park or to Disney Springs. Crowds were higher than we were used to (we usually go in December) but that seems to be the norm these days. (I follow easywdw's touring plans and crowd predictions.) Lots of people in the walk ways, stores, restaurants, etc but wait times were generally manageable. We were fortunate enough to have snagged free dining. It was our first time on the dining plan and it was a ton of food. We did lots of character meals and used snacks during the day of Food and Wine and we still had 4 QS credits left over. I don't know if I would pay OOP for it as we have never eaten the way we did on previous trips. Our best meals were Minnie's Holiday Dine at Hollywood and Vine (great character interaction and excellent food) and Chef Mickey's brunch (again great character interaction and excellent food). I would gladly pay for both OOP on our next trip. Worst meal was Via Napoli which we have really enjoyed in the past. Food was ok but service was impersonal and slow. Our waitress seemed annoyed that she had to show us what was incl on the dining plan. Biergarten (4th time there, food so-so, band cut set short), Akershus (great characters, food so-so), Trail's End (3rd time there, food so-so, service slow), Be Our Guest breakfast (beautiful atmosphere, food so-so) and Crystal Palace (3rd time there, character interaction mediocre, food so-so) were ok but I wouldn't have been happy had we paid OOP for it. I think on our next trip we'll try some new restaurants especially at Epcot. With oldest DD being 4 we met lots and lots of characters. We didn't have a bad meet and great with anyone but we were most impressed with Tinker Bell. My girls loved it! Overall, we had a great trip. My husband was turned off by the higher than what we're used to crowds so we'll probably stick with out usual 2-3 yr return cycle. I was hoping to go again sooner but don't think I can convince DH to do it. Feel free to ask questions. I'm happy to answer!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad you pointed out that despite higher crowds, lines were still manageable. That makes me feel like Disney is accommodating the higher attendance. :)

Thanks for your thoughts. Glad to hear that you liked all star sports. We are going in February and are worried we won't be pleased (stayed at AOA and CR). Now that we are staying at one its nice to read positives at the all stars.

Thanks for the good report on ASSP! This will be our first time staying at a value, and I'm glad it was an enjoyable place to lay your head at night. :)
Our big motivation was that it really seems to be themed well for kids (we have a 9 and 5 year old). Moderates, while nicer and a tad bigger, don't seem to be as bright and flashy!

Only 85 days to go!

Tinkerbell! She was our best character interaction as well. I my little Ladies lived her as did their mom and me.

We will be at All-Star Sports next week. Which building did you stay in and how was that location? Also, for your QS/CS meals, did you try to do any "swapping" of items - like a snack item in place of a dessert? And if so, let us know how successful you were and where you were able to swap out items :)

Glad you had a nice trip! Thanks for the review
We didn't have a bad meet and great with anyone but we were most impressed with Tinker Bell.
I totally agree with this! tink was my favorite meet and greet on my last trip.She is amazing!!!

Also, if you can next time try and get BOG for dinner, I know its very hard to but if can get it, it's worth it - the food is great and the Beast shows up as well.
I am so happy you enjoyed Minnie's Holiday Dinner, that sounds like so much fun! Glad the food was good too!

We stayed at All-Star Sports this past June and really enjoyed it! We are the type that don't spend too much time in the room, but our room was very clean and comfortable and well-maintained. The toilet flushes sound like a sonic boom but that's not too bad! Our room was on the top floor and it was nice and quiet so we slept really well. We also enjoyed the food court and never had issues finding a clean table or waiting too long for meals. I also recommend Liberty Tree Tavern for future visits, the pot roast is great! Happy to hear you had a good time!

Great review. I am a fan of AS Sports and will be staying there once again on my solo trip in January.

Totally agree with Tinkerbell- she was awesome and spent a ton of time with our daughter, who was so awestruck she could barely speak. The pictures from that meet and greet are my favorites from our trip.

We will be at All-Star Sports next week. Which building did you stay in and how was that location? Also, for your QS/CS meals, did you try to do any "swapping" of items - like a snack item in place of a dessert? And if so, let us know how successful you were and where you were able to swap out items :)

We stayed in Touchdown Building 7. Location was great! Btwn both pools & laundry rooms plus a very short walk to the main building. Loved it & would absolutely request it again. We didn't try swapping anything during QS meals. We ordered the desserts & saved them for the following morning's breakfast. All locations had to go containers & we tossed them in the bottom of the stroller.

Thanks for the good report on ASSP! This will be our first time staying at a value, and I'm glad it was an enjoyable place to lay your head at night. :)
Our big motivation was that it really seems to be themed well for kids (we have a 9 and 5 year old).

My husband us a huge sports guy & I am an athletic trainer so we really enjoyed the theme too. The football field outside our building was a god send on arrival day. Large safe area for my girls to run around & blow off some steam after a long morning at the airport. It's also where they have the nightly movie. So nice to be able to hop on the elevator & head to bed after the movie.

Also, if you can next time try and get BOG for dinner, I know its very hard to but if can get it, it's worth it - the food is great and the Beast shows up as well.

We kept looking for a BOG lunch or dinner but could only find breakfast. Dining reservations were hard to come by especially for a party of 6. We also would have preferred Akershus breakfast but could only get lunch.

Nice report, thanks. We were at All Star Sports once, liked it

We were at All Star Sports, too last week (Nov. 16-20) and we were very pleased with it. Bus service was great, and the hotel housekeeping and staff were wonderful. We thought the crowds were very manageable. We spent our first evening (arrival day) at Disney Springs, which was fun as always. Great vacation!

Another vote for all star sports. We were there November 9 to 19. We had problem to reach Cape May Cafe because of bus don't work at Epcot. We return at resort and explain the problem at concierge desk. They paid the taxi to Go at Beach Club! They not just cancel the reservation!

And It is the first stop to Go and the first to arrive In bus. Perfect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter