Just Back, my Observations

cavepig

DIS Veteran
I just got back from WDW. Stayed June 28 - July 13 at POR AB.

- We did EMH at all parks and found it to be crowded with no walk ons. We did one non EMH the last day July 13 at MK and it was less crowded then EMH had been. We walked onto Dumbo, Big Thunder, and Barnstormer, and had short waits on other rides. It got crowded within a couple of hours. I read another post about it not being crowded the whole 1st week of July, but I have to disagree and say it was crowded, actually a little more crowded than the week before the 4th.

- Used fastpass a lot, so got to ride rides like Splash and Test Track at noon without waiting an hour.

- It was hot (about 90) and humid. A few overcast days but lots of sun and not much rain.

- Rode Mission Space 3 times. Usually it was up after 4 every night. Loved it and didn't get sick. Rides like Body wars, astro orbitor and tea cups bother me. If you think you'll get sick and think about spinning than you probably will (as that happened to my sister in-law) So don't look around or think about spinning and you should be okay. It is a ride that can't be described until you ride it yourself. It is more of an experience than a ride. I think it is a ride you will love or hate.

- 4th of July fireworks were awesome. Went to Magic Kingdom at about 5:00 pm and watched them from Fantasyland.

- Tour groups started coming the 2nd week of July so would some times clog areas up, but weren't too bad.

- Many tourists don't know how to queue up for rides or buses. Instead of wrapping around the queue lines they would stand in bunches and swarm onto the bus. Or have the line stick out into the crowds. That's were cast members need to be to help contain people.

- Noticed where some cast members used to be they weren't anymore. Like fast pass machines didn't always have a cast member there so if there was a problem you had to hunt one down.

- Started noticing the Wild about Safety program the last few days we were there. So if you're going soon ask about it and you might get some cards or brochures on it. We did find pins for it on cast lanyards.

- Pin trading was fun, but there was lots of Disney Store pins on lanyards. You could still find good ones but you had to look.

- Went to water parks after 4 pm and the crowds weren't bad and had short waits on everything.

- Didn't do E-night cause we got everything in during regular hours and EMH.

- Did the new Goofy Jamboree at Diamond Horseshoe. It's a cute show so if you have little ones you should go there.

- New Tower of Terror is cool since you don't know what sequence you'll get.

- Took a 2 yr old and 3 mo. old and didn't have any problems in the heat with them. They had fun so if you plan on taking little ones don't worry just plan on breaks and swim time.

Sorry this is long but wanted to recap what we observed so hopefully it will help some of you going soon. When I think of more I'll post. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Wow - it's sounds like you have a great time.

Thanks for posting all about your trip. I love hearing about it.

Thanks for all the great information! A couple people lately have said that EMH was really crowded and they had better luck not using it. I always liked that extra hour so much. I'm wondering if my strategy will have to change. Oh well, I have almost a year to think about it.

Thanks again!

We were there 6/30-7/7 and I agree that it was crowded. We did MK EE on 7/6 and it wasn't worth it.

Thanks Cavepig!

Going in a week and appreciate your observations! I, too, am considering avoiding the EE parks, contrary to all my previous touring plans!

Hi. Quick question, please: you mention the waterparks. Which one(s) did you go to and which would you recommend for ages 10, 6 and 4? Thanks!

lorilori - we did both Typhoon Lagoon (twice) and Blizzard Beach (once).

When I first did Typhoon Lagoon I was 10 (when it first opened) and my brother was 3 and we loved it. It is a little more laid back in my opinion than Blizzard Beach. Blizzard can get hot with all the white snow compared to the tropical theme at Typhoon Lagoon.

They both have kiddie areas, but I've only seen them never used them. When we went to Typhoon it was short waits for everything and Humunga Kowabunga was an actually walk-on (the light was green to go so it was sit down and go down.) Blizzard was a little more crowded. We did both at about 4 and stayed to till about 5:30-6:00. Typhoon's wave pool is also much better. They both do have lazy rivers.

Also Typhoon is a lot smaller than Blizzard.

So in my opinion I think Typhoon would be best for a 10, 6, & 4 yr. old.

I forgot to mention that we did do all 4 parks multiple times and that we had a blast and can't wait to go back. Sure there were a few things to complain about or weren't up to snuff, but it was still one of the best trips we've had. Especially showing the park off to my neice and nephew (the 2 and 3 mo. old).

Wow ~ It sounds as though you had a great trip.

Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks for the great update on the parks! sounds like you fit alot in!

Almost at the 30 day mark and I'm getting very excited. I'm taking my two nieces (5 and 1-1/2) and I'd love to hear more about your experiences with small children. Did you do any character meals? Did you take afternon breaks each day? Which was their favorite park? I am considering limiting our time to primarily the MK and Epcot and have already decided we are not doing the EMH. My sister is already upset with me that we have a 9:00 am flight so I know she won't want to get up early just to get to a crowded MK.

Which resort did you and your family stay at? Did you rent strollers or bring your own from home? Did you drive or fly? If you did fly and take your own stroller, did you gate check it? Sorry for so many questions but I'd appreciate your observations. Glad to know you had a great trip!

ZerasPride - We did one character meal at Crystal Palace for dinner. It was great. It is kind of loud there anyway so if the kids scream it fits in. The characters came around a few times and my neice loved every bit of it. The food was good too.

We took afternoon breaks everyday by going back to the resort (Port Orleans Riverside - Alligator Bayou Section) and swimming/napping. The refillable mugs there are a great deal.

My neice (2 yrs old) loved Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom the best. She loved the safari ride at Animal Kingdom and was really into seeing all of the animals and loved playing in the boneyard in dinoland. Her favorite at Magic Kingdom was Buzz and Pooh and was able to ride lots of rides there like Tea Cups, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Pirates, and Jungle Cruise.

She liked Epcot and her favorites there were Mexico boat ride and Spaceship Earth, but she got kind of bored and hot going around World Showcase. At MGM Studios her favorite was the Playhouse Disney Show, but there wasn't really all that much for her to do there. So for her Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom were the best.

We brought 2 umbrella strollers. They were both able to take naps in them during the day. They were also easy to fold up on the buses.

We flew (with early 7:00 am flights both ways). We gate checked the strollers so it was nice having them in the airport even though my neice didn't want to stay in hers.

We did baby swap on all the rides with height requirements and it worked out great. At Splash/Big Thunder area there is a small playground they can play at which was nice. We didn't know how it worked so we just asked the cast members at the front of the ride entrance.

I would recommend taking them to the Goofy Country Jamboree at Magic Kingdom for lots of character interaction with Goofy, Chip, Dale, Woody, Jessie, and Bullseye. They teach you different country dances and the kids can dance along with them.

Hope this helps.

kimmar067 - EMH is Extra Magic Hour. So on certain days one park will open at 8:00 am instead of 9:00 am for resort guests only.

splashfamily - Mission Space spins around on a centerfuge to create the g-forces you will feel during take off and other parts off the ride. Before boarding there is footage of it spinning and it looks like it spins a lot, but when I rode it I couldn't feel it spinning. The spinning is how they create g-forces for any sort of space training.

My sister-in-law said she could feel it and another guest I overheard said he could. My theory is if you go in thinking you are spinning and think about it spinning then you will feel it spinning. I was half hysterical riding it the first time since I was confused on what I was supposed to be doing that I didn't notice any spinning.

So honestly when it comes to whether you'll notice it spinning or not I think it all depends on the person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter