Just back (May 4-10)

Rhonna

DIS Veteran
A brief review and thanks for all the help planning!

Just back last night from a central CA trip. Ended at DL May 4-10.

Stayed with AP discount. Adv. Tower 7th floor pool view. 2 beds, daybed and 2 sinks in bathroom. Really liked our room, location and view! A huge conference was going on. Quiet people except for their last night was a big dance party downstairs and you could feel the bass and hear every song. When I called front desk to ask how long it was going to last she said "I can call security again". Apparently there were a lot of complaints. It was supposed to last until 10pm but they got shut down around 9:40ish.

Pool and slide were very nice. Tangaroa Terrace nice. Really liked the pulled pork flatbread. Not a lot of choices for a longer stay at DLH.

Cafe Orleans had fresh brewed iced tea instead of the Nestea garbage. :)

Oh - I forgot. The morning we checked out of the DLH there was a note on the outside door knob offering for us to extend our stay for one more night for only $129 (we were in a premium room)! Crazy good deal but we couldn't use it. They should let you know about the offer earlier than the morning you check out. Apparently they do this sometimes when they are under booked. The bellman said it was slower at the hotel this spring -even Easter. I wonder if it will pick up with Carsland or if it's just becoming too costly? (Which it is, even with a discount.)

Best meals were at Ralph Brennan's and Blue Bayou (BB scalloped potatoes were awesome!). F! dessert seating was very nice but no iced tea or mint julep served.

We liked the new (to us) attractions: Little Mermaid, Toy Story Mania (even though we don't like Buzz Lightyear) and the new Star Tours. Ariel's hair looks a LOT better!

At Mandara Spa I had an excellent massage therapist but there were some cleanliness issues in the women's locker room.

Not disney related but the Cirque show "Iris" was awesome! So worth the trouble of getting there. Things went smoothly thanks to help from these boards and our check-in CM at DLH was a local and bought and printed out our Amtrak tickets for us! So helpful!

Like someone else said, a lot of people clogging up the walkways in the parks but not huge lines at the attractions. Kind of weird. Monday the computer system was messed up so no FP's and each store and food place had a different way of handling charges. Had to show photo ID with your AP. Very warm during the days but got cold in late afternoons.

We weren't really prepared for the extra walking at DCA because of the construction walls. It wasn't quick or easy to get to and from the Tot area.

Thanks for all the help and I'll try to answer any questions. :)

We went a couple of weeks ago and noticed that walkways were clogged, but not rides. Like outside of Splash Mountain was insane and then when I went to get a fastpass I realized standby was only 10 minutes!?!

We went a couple of weeks ago and noticed that walkways were clogged, but not rides. Like outside of Splash Mountain was insane and then when I went to get a fastpass I realized standby was only 10 minutes!?!

We are starting to wonder if DL is now the place to "hang out" for the local AP holders? Bored with the attractions but want to see their friends or just get out of the house. Kind of like hanging out in the mall in the 80s? See and be seen. I don't know it was just strange in that regard.

One day at rope drop people ran for PP but it really wasn't necessary. We did PP, Alice, Mr. Toad and the PP line was still short. Then the rest of the day the line wasn't more than 30 - 40 minutes long at its worst.

Star Tours was literally less than 15 minutes from walking in the door to the film portion actually starting. This was dinnertime on the Monday when FP's were down because of the computer issues. I did ST twice in a row and could have kept going but I was really not feeling well that day so twice was enough for me. I kept thinking how many people would love to have such a short wait and see the different scenes.

Good to hear you had a great trip! Wasn't able to see the LM ride, it closed all the days we were there.
Yes, a lot of people walking but shorter waits... until weekend.

Good to hear you had a great trip! Wasn't able to see the LM ride, it closed all the days we were there.
Yes, a lot of people walking but shorter waits... until weekend.

Yeah, I purposely planned only the shows for the weekend we arrived. F! dessert seating on Friday night and fireworks on Sunday - we weren't in the parks on Saturday. We hit the rides on Mon. - Wed. Too long a story but when we got there late on Friday after checking into our hotel, we ended up with three FP's from two different CM's so even though it was crowded, we got to do some rides before and after F!

Sorry you missed LM. I'm sure you'll go again soon. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter