• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back - LOVED Mission Space!

grumpyandbashful

DIS Veteran
DS and I just returned from 6 days at Disney, 2 at USE. We rode Mission Space several times and we both thought it was incredible - a great rush! Longest standby line while we were there was about 30 min. We used single riders line also.
Don't miss the game after you exit the ride - lots of fun! 8 people get to play astronauts, and many other mission control staff. It is very fun!!

What days were you there? We rode it Tuesday night! First, dh and ds, then ds and me (child swap because of dd 4). We loved it! There were quite a few people at the exit who shouldn't have eaten before riding though! LOL!

I keep reading these frightful stories on the boards about people becoming very ill on the Space attraction. Did you see anyone being taken away ill? Did you experience any dizziness? I find it so hard to believe that Disney would create an attraction that would require "six ambulances in one day". Is it more intense that the RnRC?

The heighth requirement I believe is 44". I did not see anyone being taken away ill. I only saw a few people losing their lunch in the exit/game area. I did feel slightly dizzy exiting the ride, but very slight for me. I feel dizzier after a glass of wine! ;) If you suffer from motion sickness at all, you should not ride this. And you must follow their directions and look straight ahead and not turn your head and look around. Of course I turned my head, lol, and was fine. I'll ride anything though!

I don't believe there was a height requirement. My 6 year old is over 42" and was able to ride it.

The key to not feeling sick is to not lift your head or turn it. if you get motion sick you should be fine if you keep your head back and look straight into the monitor. You DEFINITELY DON'T want to MISS this ride!!!!

The hardest part is for clautrophobic people. It's a really tight space...but gets better once the monitor comes on. You really feel like your looking out the window of the shuttle...especially at lift off.

There definitely is a height requirement. We took dd up there and they were standing there with a stick and swung it over her head. But she is 4 and your child is 6, I know she'll be tall enough by 6 to ride it, probably by 5.:D

Thanks for the update! I'm hoping I'll be able to ride it--we'll be there in 10 days. Could you tell me what times you were able to ride it? Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know the height requirement, because it didn't concern us. I rode next to a 6-year-old once and he was quite upset by the ride - just too intense for him.
Every time we went to Epcot the ride was running - we were there in the afternoons and evenings and rode it about 8 times total. A man in line told me he had ridden it at 11:00 in the morning. A couple of times we arrived and were told it was temporarily closed, and then it would reopen a few minutes later.
We didn't see anyone actually getting sick, but one lady exiting told me she felt nauseated. There are multiple warnings during the preshow films not too ride if you are affected by closed spaces, spinning or back and neck problems, etc. I saw a couple of people leave the line.
I was never aware of spinning - if you look straight ahead at the video during the ride, you should be OK. You mainly feel the G-forces, which are very strong during the "launch" at the beginning and a couple of other times I won't tell and give the whole ride away ;)

Does this ride physically move around on a track like the old Horizons did, or is it a stationary simulator ride like star tours?

You are enclosed in a simulator unit (small) that holds 4 people. Each person looks at an identical video screen directly in front of them during the ride. There is a circle of 10 units that are connected by bars at the top. The circle of 10 units actually spins during parts of the ride to simulate the effects. Since your unit is completely closed to the outside, you cannot see any spinning, and I was never aware of spinning. I'm sure that people who have a low threshold for motion sickness would want to think twice before riding, however.
The couple of people I saw leave the line left because of fear of claustrophobia.

Does this ride have a walk through pre show that you could do and then *skip* the main part of the ride, like you can on Tower of Terrer?

There isn't much of a preshow, just a film that goes over safety rules and the precautions about spinning, enclosed spaces, etc. But you can definitely stay with your party, and then leave prior to boarding the ride if you would like. Then you can still play the game in the interactive area after the ride. It is really fun!

thumbs.gif
Sounds great!

As great as this ride sounds, I find myself missing Horizons as I read. Sounds like another great thrill ride, but I just loved the edutainment/inspirational style of Horizons, which i know was getting kinda dated, but still beautiful. When you came around that corner, and into space...that was one of my most magical disney moments. :( ...sigh....

I miss Horizons, too!

We rode July 12 at about 7pm. I had figured it would be too late to catch it, but we walked by and saw people going in and ran up to the entrance to see if it was open--we were told a 30-40 minute wait, but the lady next to us kind of shook her head and gave us this, "No way" look--later found out she'd been on earlier in a longer line and it had been less than 15 minutes. It ended up being about 5 minutes--I guess they're still getting used to gauging wait times so it might be worth it to wait even if they tell you it's a long wait.

It's a great ride, I'm so glad we got to do it while we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter