Just Back (July 3 - 5)

micheledb49

Earning My Ears
I love the just back threads, so I figured I would contribute.

We (myself, husband, & 4 year old son) arrived July 3 & departed July 5th.
We stayed at Beach Club.

Day 1, July 3 Epcot:
- Amazingly not crowded for a holiday weekend.
- Had a fast pass for FEA and really enjoyed it, but wouldn't want to wait more than 40 minutes for it.
- Did Character Spot for the first time & will now make it a must on every trip.
- Ate at Coral Reef for the first time. Service was great, food was blah. Won't return any time soon.

Day 2, July 4 DHS
- Had 8am res at Hollywood & Vine. First family to line up in breakfast line. They let us in at 7:55.
- We went straight to sign up for Jedi training but most families did not. It's tucked behind the corner of the Indiana Jones outpost & easy to miss.
- At the end of breakfast I heard another family say they were going to go sign up for Jedi training. I had already seen about 100 people run by the window and I felt bad they didn't realize they could have signed up first.
- Apparently it was their lucky day because the CMs were amazed how short the sign up lines were. And on a holiday!
- Jedi training was highlight of trip for kiddo. Darth Vader & Seventh Sister came out to fight. Then Kylo Ren came out at the end. Very cool! At first I was disappointed because I'd forgotten where to tell my child to line up & he got Seventh Sister. But I think it was a good thing because he was a bit scared. But now it's all he talks about.
- Heat index temp was 112 this day. It was almost unbearable.
- Had FP for Toy Story, but wow, lines are short now. 30 minute stand by all day.
- Went back in the evening to DHS to watch fireworks & they were great but we were too far off to the side to really get to see the show as it should be seen. I think you really need to be in the middle to see everything clearly over the trees.

Day 3, July 5 MK
- Had 8am breakfast at BOG. Really really enjoyed it. Loved the West Wing. Splitting adult meal is the way to go.
- Left Beach Club at 6:30 am, caught the bus just as it arrived and were way way too early arriving at MK. Second family there, waited until 7:50 to be let in.
- We had a FP for 7dmt, so we decided to do BTMR first. There was a CM right before Peter Pan not letting anyone go by. Then the announcement came on that the park was open, and she still didn't let us go through. Everyone was getting so frustrated & she was just joking and laughing. It was bizarre. We see people funneling through the castle and she still won't let us go by. Then people start coming the other direction & into Peter Pan so our group (like 25 of us) just went past her. By the time we got to BTMR there was a 10 minute wait which is no big deal, but frustrating. CM seemed on some crazy power trip.
- We were able to do a ton of rides from 9 – 11:30ish (BTMR, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpets, Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid, 7dmt (FP), tea cups, Barnstormer (FP), Buzz Lightyear (FP).
- Had lunch at Liberty Tavern. Really really good and really nice to sit in AC.

We live in Austin, TX and used to live in Orlando and we could not believe how insane the heat was. We left the parks every day by 1 or 2 for swim breaks. Stormalong Bay was packed each time we arrived and the water was so warm it wasn't even refreshing. The line for the slide was always almost to the bottom of the stairs.

The crowds in the parks were much lower than I expected for a holiday weekend but the weather was much hotter. Everything was super clean and we had all amazing CM interaction (except the crazy MK one).

Only saw a handful of tour groups & had no issues.

We were supposed to have a longer trip but it got cut short, so we've already booked another stay for early September and can't wait :)

Happy to answer any questions...

Thanks for the notes! We have some similar plans for our trip next month's, including H&V breakfast with Jedi training sign-up, BOG breakfast and midday breaks with a little one. We're also coming from Austin, so wondering how the heat will compare but am preparing for worse humidity and forcing myself to get out of the AC more now.

And that CM sounds super frustrating... I feel anxious just thinking about that scenario!

We were in WDW those dates too! We also couldn't believe how low the crowds seemed. We were commenting about this our whole trip. Also agree about the heat - couldn't believe it! It seemed so still, no wind and hardly any afternoon downpours that we're used to.

Day 2, July 4 DHS
- Had 8am res at Hollywood & Vine. First family to line up in breakfast line. They let us in at 7:55.

Glad to hear you had a great time during the holiday weekend.
Question about JTA signup, so you went in at 7:55, went to JTA signup and went to your 8am res??? Everything happened within 5 minutes??? wow!! Did your kids do okay with the robe and the heat?? I am so worried that my kids will pass out wearing that robe in the summer heat.

Any speculation about why the crowds were so low especially on a holiday weekend? The heat possibly? Or is it just that random now that you never know?

Question about JTA signup, so you went in at 7:55, went to JTA signup and went to your 8am res??? Everything happened within 5 minutes??? wow!! Did your kids do okay with the robe and the heat?? I am so worried that my kids will pass out wearing that robe in the summer heat.
we went in June and our time was like 12:45 or so and it was almost unbearable, I watched the kids closely with those robes on. I made sure they drank a lot of water or gatorade before going. They seemed fine.

Thanks! I love these just back threads as I get ready for our trip to the Beach Club in August!!
For the JTA where do I suggest my children stand to get Darth Vader??

Sounds like you had a great trip! We've been thinking about JTA for our 8yr old since he is a huge Star Wars fan, thanks for the tips!

We were the first people in the park and a bit confused. We went to H&V for the check in and we asked if the Jedi training sign ups were open. She said yes, if you want to do that, go ahead and sign up then come back and sign in for breakfast. So we walked over there still confused and there they were tucked in the corner. Took about 3 minutes to sign up. They asked our son some questions and we signed up for the 1st session (10:10). So yea, about 5 minutes total. It was awesome. No stress!

It was incredibly hot that day. Kids were sweating like crazy and the guy leading the thing did remind everyone to keep our kids hydrated after the show. No kids took their robes off though, but many did take the hoods off.
There is a quick service restaurant right behind the show area that has self service water/soda machines so after the show, a bunch of us went in there to cool off and get ice water.
Definitely a highlight of the trip and so glad we did it! :)

Any speculation about why the crowds were so low especially on a holiday weekend? The heat possibly? Or is it just that random now that you never know?

I do wonder if the heat played a role in the crowds. I wonder if holiday weekends draw a lot of locals and they decided to stay home in the AC. It was a pleasant surprise :)

Thanks! I love these just back threads as I get ready for our trip to the Beach Club in August!!
For the JTA where do I suggest my children stand to get Darth Vader??

When you come back for your training time, there are 2 rows of blue dots. The one in the back (near the building) fights seventh sister. The one in the front fights Darth Vader. Have fun!

When you come back for your training time, there are 2 rows of blue dots. The one in the back (near the building) fights seventh sister. The one in the front fights Darth Vader. Have fun!

Perfect! Thanks for the tip!!

Where are you supposed to stand in order to get Vader? My son is a HUGE fan. sorry read post above. thanks for the info

Last edited:
This interests me too. Especially after we experienced the same thing over Easter Weekend 2015. I was prepared to only do what we could but it wasn't crowded at all. We were there Good Friday-Easter Monday.

Thanks for the review. We leave in two days for a split stay that includes the Beach Club, so I'm excited to read about others' experiences. I'm nervous for the heat, but we plan to take breaks.

Glad ya'll had such a good time!!
I feel the same about coral reef
HOW BIZARRE about that cm at mk, also super frustrating, if the park is open, just let people go!

This interests me too. Especially after we experienced the same thing over Easter Weekend 2015. I was prepared to only do what we could but it wasn't crowded at all. We were there Good Friday-Easter Monday.

We always go to WDW during Easter and July 4 week, and we've also noticed the crowds getting lighter and lighter each year. I'm wondering if it's due to the high cost of WDW now and people are trying to book value season? Or maybe the FP system is spreading people out so each ride has lower wait times. We encountered BTMR at 20 and 30 minute standby waits each time we used our FP.

I'm wondering the same. I was thinking I needed to make an 8:15 ressie so we'd have time to sign up, but I'd rather do 8.

Oh and we'll probably sign up for either one of the earliest ones, before the heat or the latest one at like 7:40, so the heat has started to ease up somewhat. We did the 7:40 this past trip but we're rained out. :(

ETA: I see the answer OP. Thanks!

Last edited:
So is the JTA sign up always tucked in a corner, even when the park is open? Last time my kids did JTA the sign up was in or close to Sounds Dangerous, is it no longer there when the park is open?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter