Just back....had a great time....and upgraded too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by TChrist05
I have to thank Ann for sharing with us DCL policy for cancellations, changes in reservations etc....I am, and was fully aware when I chose not to purchase the cruise insurance....not that I needed cruise insurance last November when Disney cancelled my cruise.....and I did get a nice 50 % off and a nice upgrade when we cruised in May...but I did not get the vacation I wanted and planned for over a year for.
Tom,

I have a question about you not getting the vacation you wanted and planned over a year for. Are you refering to your November cruise from last year or your May cruise this year? The reason I'm asking is that I was on that May cruise with you and to us it was as close to a perfect cruise as we could hope for. Beautiful weather, smooth seas, everything we could hope for. Just wondering what you found lacking in it.

Originally posted by TChrist05
I realize that there are some people out there that just can't stand it when someone gets something that they either have not gotten or feel they don't deserve....
I don't beg for anything

Tom,

I hope you can realize the difference between what you are describing and the fact that it takes incredible gall to ASK (no one said "beg") for MORE when you have already been more than compensated for something that frankly, DCL had NO responsibility whatsoever in compensating you for.

For a typical wonder fall cruise, the fare for 4 people without transfers or insurance is $1623 in a cat 11, a difference of $350 from the $1272 fare for only 3 people. For 3 people to cruise in a category 8, the cost would be $1892. When you got your first upgrade you already got your money's worth for 3 people to cruise. To book a category 5 outright would cost $2192. When you asked for your upgrade because of your situation, you basically got $900 worth of value for a $350 "mistake" that is your own responsibility.

As I said, to ask for a refund under that circumstance is the ultimate in chutzpah as far as I am concerned. It is NOT that you are getting something that I do not have. It is that you are asking for WAY more than your "fair share" using what I consider to be very weak arguments of customer loyalty. You may decide to give someone a free bottle of soda as a manager of a supermarket to promote customer loyalty but I happen to think that a $350 refund when you have ALREADY been compensated with $900 worth of value for a NON-EMERGENCY cancellation that was the choice of an adult is going WAY overboard.

Being on the cancelled cruise does not entitle you to compensation about it for the rest of your life, Disney did just fine by you by giving you a full refund AND 50% off a future cruise. I don't begrudge you that even though *I* won't get 50% off a future cruise. DCL is doing what they can to make things right and I applaud them for it even though it won't directly benefit me. They are not doing this because you are a loyal customer, they are doing this because it is the right thing to do.

I'm sorry if you cannot tell the difference between the supposed "jealousy" that you see in my posts and the posts of others and what is actually there... annoyance at asking for more than you frankly deserve in this situation and a negative reaction to the greed of writing a letter asking for more when you have been given $900 worth of value already. Note that I am not saying that you are an awful, greedy person but I do find this ACTION that you are proposing to be greedy and downright distasteful. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't always mean that you should.

Lisa

Originally posted by Lisa F
Tom,

....the fact that it takes incredible gall to ASK (no one said "beg") for MORE when you have already been more than compensated for something that frankly, DCL had NO responsibility whatsoever in compensating you for.
.............As I said, to ask for a refund under that circumstance is the ultimate in chutzpah as far as I am concerned. It is NOT that you are getting something that I do not have. It is that you are asking for WAY more than your "fair share" using what I consider to be very weak arguments of customer loyalty...........

Being on the cancelled cruise does not entitle you to compensation about it for the rest of your life............I'm sorry if you cannot tell the difference between the supposed "jealousy" that you see in my posts and the posts of others and what is actually there... annoyance at asking for more than you frankly deserve in this situation and a negative reaction to the greed of writing a letter asking for more when you have been given $900 worth of value already. Note that I am not saying that you are an awful, greedy person but I do find this ACTION that you are proposing to be greedy and downright distasteful........
Lisa

:( Is this spewing of ugliness really necessary? He is considering doing what was suggested to him by DCL. Period. Whether or not he chooses to do so is up to him, but I see no reason to flame him when what seems to make you so mad is something DCL told him, NOT his idea.

Per Tom:

"I realize that there are some people out there that just can't stand it when someone gets something that they either have not gotten or feel they don't deserve....may I say I work very hard to pay for our cruising and vacation club....and if they give me an upgrade or a better room in the vacation club I am very appreciative of it....I say thank you.....and I spend plenty of money in the parks and on the ships....and I do certainly enjoy myself as my wife does also.....If we get something people feel we should not get.....that is they way it is....I don't beg for anything.....and maybe in hindsight we should have taken the cruise insurance......something to think about for the upcoming cruises.....thanks for all the well wishes from so many people....and the people that feel i am trying to take advantage of DCL....sorry about that......

Hi Tom-

I get it now, DVC Members and those who were unlucky enough to be on the cancelled 11/30 cruise can ignore the rules and get everything they can out of Disney Cruise Lines BECAUSE they are DVC Members and they had a cancelled cruise.

Also you work harder for your money to spend in the parks, pay for your cruises and DVC membership so the rest of us should just pipe down because we dont!

It has nothing to do with your Family being at blame for losing $$$ on your 9/11 3 day cruise by your daughter cancelling for a JOB. It has nothing to do with Lisa or Ann and I being jealous that you received an upgrade.

It has to do with whining about something you caused and then blaming DCL. Of course they told you to write a letter, I bet every CM that encounters someone upset about the 11/30 cruise is instructed to do so.

And Fred, yes the CM told him to write the letter for reasons I believe I mentioned above but come on he is saying since his 11/30 cruise was cancelled and he is a DVC Member he deserves "Loyalty" treatment.

1. His daughter cancelled bc of a job not an emergency.
2. DCL gave him a great upgrade.
3. Maybe they told Tom to write a letter but it in my opinion was a way to move on with his situation and pass the buck. I am sure they have been trained not to "upset" DVC Members or those still upset about the cancelled 11/30 cruise and there are Disney Personel trained to handle these type of complaints hence the letter.
4. On one hand he is saying he received an upgrade and they told him to write a letter but then he keeps stating he spends a lot of hard earned money at the parks, DVC Membership and is loyal.

Conclusion:

It his Tom's family fault they lost money for his daughter cancelling at the last minute. It was not an emergency but a choice.

DCL more than compensated Tom on his 3 day cruise from upgrading him from a Category 11 to a 6 which is a lot more than a 4th person fare in a cat 11.

I am sure they told him to write the letter to move him along when he was not satisfied with the upgrades which were more than his daughters fare and he was speaking of the DVC Membership and 11/30 cruise.

Write your letter but I agree with Lisa and Ann, rules are rules. Being a DVC Member and having been booked on the cancelled 11/30 cruise are not free passes to get upgrades and rules changed for your cruising career...................and no I am not jealous of something you got. I pay for what I am happy with and then take my medicine like a big girl when it does not go my way.

Originally posted by FredS
Is this spewing of ugliness really necessary? He is considering doing what was suggested to him by DCL. Period. Whether or not he chooses to do so is up to him, but I see no reason to flame him when what seems to make you so mad is something DCL told him, NOT his idea.

I'm sorry that you think my response to the "everyone who sees a problem with this is just jealous of me" attitude as "ugliness." The reason DCL told him to do it is because he asked in a couple of places for a refund when he, by his own admission, knew that he was not entitled to one. Just because someone tells you that you can do something, it doesn't necessarily make it "right." The emotion that you are calling anger isn't anger, but rather disgust that after getting $900 worth of value for something that wasn't DCL's fault, someone is asking for even more.

Honestly, I'm glad he had a great time. I just can't understand the attitude of "I'm a loyal customer so the rules don't apply to me." I think it's absolutely wonderful when DCL sprinkles a little more pixie dust on people by taking into account exceptional circumstances and bending their rules. To ask when there IS NO exceptional circumstance is IMO taking advantage and THAT is what I object to.

If believing in fairness and not taking advantage just because you can or just because someone told you it was okay and actually applying my own common sense is "ugliness" to you, well... just call me quasimodo.

Originally posted by FredS
:( Is this spewing of ugliness really necessary? He is considering doing what was suggested to him by DCL. Period. Whether or not he chooses to do so is up to him, but I see no reason to flame him when what seems to make you so mad is something DCL told him, NOT his idea.

I really was going to not respond to this again.. BUT... Mr. Christ has a pattern of requesting/expecting and recieving much more than he has paid for from DCL. If one does not want people to judge them then they should not post on a public forum their intent to ask for more than they deserve. Some of us sacrifice all year long to PAY for what he seems to expect without paying for. If you were to do a search you would see that he has over and over again thought he should be compensated for one thing or the other.

I do not begrudge anyone who gets an upgrade, I am thrilled when people are surprised with an unexpected gift! My husband and myself have on occasion been a benifactor in one way or another to people who really deserved a dose of pixie dust. ( no we are not wealthy people just sometimes you can be moved by a story of someone who is TRUELY deserving) Whether it be from sending them Disney Dollars, donations etc... those people were worthy and never asked anything of anyone.

Lisa was not spewing ugliness but stating that she thinks he has a great deal of nerve!

I must chime in here......Ann and T have a good "discussion" going on here. I was on of the cancelled Nov. 30, 2002 cruisers and believe me, for those of you whom weren't cancelled you will never understand. Yes, I had a very bad taste in my mouth with DCL after the whole cluster. I have put it past me and am giving DCL another shot. The 50% off, and an upgrade made me feel warmer and fuzzier of course. But, in Mr. Christs defence........in the "bad days" of our substituted trip I found that DCLs "castmembers are ill trained to say "no". That doesn't make them bad but it does give one a sense of false hope. Just my two cents.

DCL has certainly had a bad taste in my mouth since last Nov's disaster. Still waiting to get onboard the ship. As I countdown this time I still have the nagging doubt in my mind that DCL will once again cancel.
Hopefully they can prove that becoming a DVC member 12/01 was worth it. Hoping to get "home" for the 1st time 10/04 if all goes well with the 11/8 cruise. Definately taking the "long way home" but determined to first have my chicken breast in paradise.

I have found it interesting to hear different sides on your upgrade issue and as for last minute changes, and cancels i have to agree that you had options available to you to help in making sure if that happened you would not have to pay.

I also see why you felt that you would at least ask for a refund on it, and i am sure the ones who told you to write a letter could not give you the refund but told you that just to make you happy and give you another avenue to take in requesting.

Sure ~ if you have done as much cruising as you have and have a couple other reservations for future cruises in the works you feel you should maybe get some special treatment and have them make an exception to you. Remember if they do it for you they would need to do it for others to be fair and that is why even with your letter i would be surprised if you got the refund. Sure does not hurt to write and ask.

We just got back from a 7 day cruise and was offered an upgrade for an additional cost, not free, and was able to stay in the 1 br suite you enjoyed. Wasn't that really nice? We sure thought it was. Special treatment, priority seating in Palo's, someone to book your appointments for you at concierge, daily goodies delivered to your stateroom, room service and even room service on the last day without having to get up extra early to go to breakfast if you were on the first seating. This was not offered to others in any other rooms other than the suites.

Bet no one knew about that extra purk!

Let me tell you, we loved it and would pay the extra for an upgrade again because it was well worth it to us.
Cheaper then paying and reserving it in advanced and if you sail on an off time your chances are much better then when the ship is booked closer to full capacity.

Isn't cruising grand?
Have a great couple of 7 day cruises!
Only way to go!
3Dbunch
:cool: :smooth: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Something for everyone to remember - especially those of you who were supposed to be on the cancelled cruise. Disney didn't cause the Norwalk virus - nor was it Disney's fault that so many people were getting sick. They did what was in the best interest of future cruisers, their crew and the company as a whole. I'm sure they would have been much happier to keep cruising as that week and the compensation you all got cost them plenty.

Also please keep in mind that Disney gave much better compensation than other cruise lines at the same time.

I'm really sorry your cruise was cancelled. Yes it is very disappointing, but it was a year ago and most of you have either cruised since then (with some nice perks) or will be cruising soon. You got your full refunds, you got 50% off your next cruise and in some cases got even more. So please get over it and let it go.

Having a cruise cancelled with a full refund is an inconvenience, not a tragedy. Having a cruise or any trip cancelled because of illness or death is a tragedy. Please put this in perspective and be happy that you all have your health, your family, and the means to cruise with Disney in the first place. Many, many others cannot say that.

I know it was not DCLs fault that they had to cancel at such a late notice
Everyone is aware that DCL gave us 50% off a future cruise
Not everyone knows that DVC members needed to find a place onsite to stay within 22hrs! It cost us more in pts to stay at a moderate than to stay 1wk at a deluxe would have cost.
I figure by the time this cruise is over we may have broken even.
Our plans were to use our pts for the 1st time on the cruise last yr and go "home" for the 1st time this Oct. Now we need to push off our 1st visit "home" to next yr. Yes it is taking us 3yrs to get "home" for the 1st time. The inconvenience of DCL cancelling not only affected last yr but the current yr and next yr too. It had a snowball effect. For 1st time DVC owners this was not a good thing.
Hopefully this Nov cruise will start me believing that buying into DVC was a good thing. I need to believe in Disney again. Its time to see the "Magic"

Originally posted by imgoingtodisney
DCL has certainly had a bad taste in my mouth since last Nov's disaster. Still waiting to get onboard the ship. As I countdown this time I still have the nagging doubt in my mind that DCL will once again cancel.
Hopefully they can prove that becoming a DVC member 12/01 was worth it. Hoping to get "home" for the 1st time 10/04 if all goes well with the 11/8 cruise. Definately taking the "long way home" but determined to first have my chicken breast in paradise.

Barb we have (as MANY MANY people on this board have) been members of DVC for longer than you. DVC has no pull or power with DCL and people who are members of DVC should certainly not expect to be treated as a better class than anyone else that is just silly IMHO..
As for the nagging doubt about getting on the ship, there is no raging norwalk around and they did what they had to do to keep you and others from being ill. You, if I recall have been already WAY upgraded from your original cabin so please do let it go........
DCL lost a great deal of revenue that week but did so for the good of the passagers, you were compensated, much better than other lines would have done..this is exactly the type of thing that bugs me...........

Not everyone knows that DVC members needed to find a place onsite to stay within 22hrs! It cost us more in pts to stay at a moderate than to stay 1wk at a deluxe would have cost.
Our plans were to use our pts for the 1st time on the cruise last yr and go "home" for the 1st time this Oct. Now we need to push off our 1st visit "home" to next yr. Yes it is taking us 3yrs to get "home" for the 1st time. The inconvenience of DCL cancelling not only affected last yr but the current yr and next yr too. It had a snowball effect. For 1st time DVC owners this was not a good thing.
Hopefully this Nov cruise will start me believing that buying into DVC was a good thing. I need to believe in Disney again. Its time to see the "Magic"
Here we go again...................:(

Sorry Ann but we "paid" for our upgrade with our points. It was not given to us.
This time last yr the Norwalk wasnt yet around. It started getting bad in Nov. Im sure the wks before our cruise this yr I will be checking to make sure there is no talk of Norwalk. As of now its too early.
And no I dont expect to be treated better than others who arent DVC members. Alot of them were getting extra treatment while at Disney that DVC members didnt.
I didnt start this thread but do feel like others are finally speaking up.

Oh my gosh I am having flashbacks to the rage of IMGTD and the cancelled cruise.......................I think I am going to faint:o

I know you all were very damaged by having your cruises "postponed" due to the Norwalk virus but this is not about the cancelled cruise. You were compensated and DCL did the responsible thing and as Ann pointed out lost a lot of revenue that week.

This thread was about Tom posting that he had gotten a great upgrade bc his Daughter " decided" not to go on a 3 day cruise due to a new job and he still "thought" he deserved more since he was a DVC Member, Loyal Disney Patron and since a CM "urged" him to write a letter AKA a "CM passed the buck".

Lets keep this in perspective. I don't want to have IMGTD having a sleepless night about having her cruise cancelled.:confused: and I really can not take this "THE HORROR MY 11/30 CRUISE WAS CANCELLED"..........when there are so many more important and urgent problems with this world...........................

I didnt start this thread but do feel like others are finally speaking up.

:confused:

The OP got a full refund and has already taken his 50% off cruise. That's over with. This thread is about someone not taking cruise insurance, but expecting the benefits of cruise insurance. That's what this threat is about......it's not about the Norwalk Virus or your 3 year journey to "get home".:rolleyes:

DVC is a timeshare - plain and simple. To get the best use of your points you should book a DVC resort. As a DVC member you are entitled to use your points for other options - like the cruise.

It was your choice to find a place on site. Others in the same situation booked a cruise on the Wonder while others just re-booked. Your choice - so don't blame DVC.

Maybe you bought into DVC for all the wrong reasons.

As Ann says many of us have owned longer and don't expect any special treatment. The choices you made from buying DVC, to booking the cruise, to using your points at a moderate. Your choice - no one forced you to do any of it. DVC doesn't owe you anything, DCL doesn't owe you anything (but have given you much). End of story.

You have been speaking up for almost a year and if you were so worried about the Norwalk it probably was not a great idea to book again for November prime virus season.

This thread is not about you or even a cancelled cruise. We have heard how upset you were for a long time now..........................this thread was about Tom's daughter backing out, DCL upgrading Tom bc he requested compensation, DCL doing so even though they did not have to and Tom justifying his upgrade and "possible" letter for further compensation because he is a DVC Member and was on the cancelled cruise..........his daughter caused this not DCL.

Originally posted by AnnMorin
Barb we have (as MANY MANY people on this board have) been members of DVC for longer than you. DVC has no pull or power with DCL and people who are members of DVC should certainly not expect to be treated as a better class than anyone else that is just silly IMHO.....

Missed your point -- since you have been a member of DVC longer YOU should get something first perhaps?? And I guess I missed where Barb stated what you have just said. I took her comment that after having invested a significant sum in Disney that she "needed" to feel some reassurance, not be cancelled and inconvenienced without any efforts by Disney to compensate her. Calling someone silly for something that they haven't said??
Originally posted by AnnMorin

.....you were compensated, much better than other lines would have done..this is exactly the type of thing that bugs me...........

Get over it. A couple of you come across as obsessed with ensuring that no one gets more than you. I kept thinking surely not, but it does seem that jealousy IS the problem here. People got an upgrade, they got a discount on a future cruise -- go them. To keep on and keep on and on with "arggh" and yes, spewing ugliness (I'm not going to cut and paste again, I think the hateful adjectives speak for themselves) seems to be a case of very sour grapes.

Yes, I'd love an upgrade or discount. Don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon. However, I don't begrudge someone else who does get one, whether it is totally unexpected or perhaps intended as a good will gesture by Disney to compensate a customer.

Hi Fred-

No I feel no jealousy over an upgrade. I cruise with the theory pay for what you will be happy with. I have never been upgraded on any cruiseline and I would never expect to be. I will let the others speak for themselves but my problem is the attitude of something for nothing. It is a common problem in our world today. I think it takes a lot of "something" to ask for more after what TC received.

Maybe we just think differently Fred but it really is the opposite of what you have said. I for one pay for what category I want and would never think to ask DCL for some type of compensation when it was my fault to begin with. I do not believe in something for nothing. I am so happy when I see pixie dust spread around to special angels and the random cruiser. For me personally I would not want an upgrade since I like to pick my cabin.

Fred, read the threads again. No one said this was about the upgrade, it is about the nerve of the OP to request further compensation when he caused his own problem and DCL already compensated him for more than his DD fare.

Also you may not have been around for the fallout after the cancelled 11/30 cruise but it went on and on and on and on and on and on.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter