Just Back - Good News for May Travelers!

TXDIsneyMom

Earning My Ears
We just returned late last night from an 8 day trip to DW from 5/3 - 5/10. I don't have time to write a good, full trip report yet (real life can really get in the way of fun!) but I just had to tell you guys that it was pretty much the perfect trip! The most we ever waited for anything - ride, show, bus, anything - was 10 minutes and then we were like, "What is the deal here?" :rotfl2: We did almost everything in every park. We followed all the great advice you folks put out there, but especially: Get there early and use those fast passes! The MYW Dining plan was perfect for us (me, husband, 10year old daughter, 7 year old son.) We saved tons, ate tons, and tried lots of new places we would not have ordinarily tried, including our rather memorable "Taste Around the World", where we ate something from each country. Also, we stayed at Caribbean Beach. It will take me a little while to get the trip report together, but I might could answer some questions in between laundry loads and make-up work, if that would help any lucky souls headed out there soon. I already wish we were back! Thank you to everyone who helped make this such a great trip for us. The only reason I was prepared was because of you guys!

I have a question but not about your trip yet ;) I was wondering did anybody give you a hard time about taking your kids out of school for a week when it was almost time to be out of school???

I have always wanted to do that, being at Disney right before school gets out so it would be busy. I live in alabama and most schools here get out around May 25th.

thanks brooke :flower:

Yes, the potential for them giving me a hard time was there. They are in a private school where we have to receive permission to take our kids out for anything. (I have an issue with that, but that's another story...) Anyway, I went to the headmaster, showed him that both my kids have made straight A's all year and not missed a day of school. I also showed him the calendar for the days they were missing, which included a field trip, some parties, some other ancillary end of school events, and talked to him about the fact that there should not be any new material really covered in this last 2 weeks of school. (It is a classical model school, so repetition of new material is really stressed.) He didn't like it, but I got permission. My understanding from friends with older kids is that once they hit 7th grade, we will be told "no." I'll then have to work our Disney trips around long weekends! :earsboy:

When you say "get there early," what do you mean, exactly? What time did you guys get up everyday, and what time did you go to bed every night? The parks were empty in the mornings, then?

Any word from the CMs what the week before Memorial Day will be like???

Thanks, and glad to hear you had a great time!

brooke1 said:
I have a question but not about your trip yet ;) I was wondering did anybody give you a hard time about taking your kids out of school for a week when it was almost time to be out of school???

I have always wanted to do that, being at Disney right before school gets out so it would be busy. I live in alabama and most schools here get out around May 25th.

thanks brooke :flower:

We also had a hard time with my DD5s principal and she is only in half day kindergarten in public school! I wrote a letter stating that she had perfect attendance up to the point of our vacation and she is reading at a 3rd grade level and they said "fine but it will be an unexcused abscence." Ridiculous... but Disney was awesome and it was worth the unexcused abscence!!

We made sure we were at the parks at least 10 minutes before they opened, which was 9am. (We never made EMH.) We left the CR about 8:15 to make sure. We were in bed by 10 to 10:30 most nights.

What was strange is that some days the parks didn't seem empty, but there were still no waits. Maybe we just timed it right with the rides by using the Unofficial plans, slightly modified.

I'm so glad you had such a great trip! We leave tomorrow and I can't wait! You said you didn't wait long (10mins) for rides. Do you know what the crowd blog had said about your possible wait times? I'm crossing my fingers that the same may happen to us this weekend, at least not be the 8 that was predicted!
Thanks and again, glad your trip was wonderful!

We were there 4/30 - 5/7 and totally agree. We basically walked on most rides! We arrived at the parks about 8:30am for a 9am opening. On our MK days, we rode Buzz Light year 4 times in a row without any line. My kids loved it!
I didn't have any trouble with my sons school. I did a daily trip log for him, and took lots of pictures of him doing educational things (kidcot station, etc). Since he's only in kindergarten it was all pretty basic education though. But my sons teachers and the school district were very impressed by the vacation journal. I was stopped by a couple of other teachers who saw it and they complemented me on it and asked for advice on going to wdw! :flower:

Regarding the vacation blog, I think my days said 7/8's. I don't think it was that crowded though. I'll definitely go in May again! :cool1:

Glad you had a good time!
I have taken my boys out of school in May the last two years.... and this year, I am taking just my 4th grader out for 3 days in June.

I think you have to be matter of fact for it to the teacher. Say, we are going away, what homework can my child do to make up the time. Have the child write a travel journal, take pics and have a learning experience.

My opinion is controversial, but I personally think a child benefits from the family time together and can miss school.
This is our last year however, once our son hits middle school in 5th grade, we will not take him out. This June trip with just him and I is his "last hurrah"
Catrin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter