• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back from the Polynesian 4/24-5/2/05

luvmarypoppins

<font color=darkorchid>I am debating whether to pu
It was good to be back at the Polynesian again, since our last 2 stays were at the Swan. We asked for the Samoa bldg. again and due to our late check in around 10 pm, we did get the Samoa bldg, room 3611. It was an end room with a view of the top of the hawaii bldg. Not a good view but it was nice to sit on the balcony and only encountered our rude smoking neighbor once. I shouldnt complain too much because I am sure they had their share of our 3 teen ds mouths too.
Good points: Captain Cooks was close for snacks and late night food
Transportation was good. Only stood on bus once.Love the boat ride back from the MK.
Wishes from the Beach.
Arcade challenge for the DS.
Actually had the ds in the quiet pool this time. Enjoyed it.
Coffee maker in the room for dh. Helped him get out of bed in the morning.
Great ap room rate, sorry I would never pay rack rate to stay here. Too expensive.

Bad points: Wishes from the Beach, didnt hear the music. and one night there was hardly any room in the best viewing area, I cant believe all those people were staying at the Polynesian and I am sure they were not. I used to be a promoter of enjoying a disney resort even if you arent staying there, but now I have a different opinion that those "visiting" should wait until the end to sit etc. If I was paying rack rate I would be really upset. I am still wishing they had a scan gate with room card access only for the pool and beach. One night dh was watching wishes from a hammock and it started to rain, he said he heard people around him say, hurry we need to get back in the cars and head to our motel etc. Gheesh. At least he was in the hammock. and just had to go back to our Poly room.

One day, sunday, our room was not made up until around 5 pm. We didnt leave the room until noon, but I think that was a long time to wait. There really arent alot of rooms on the floor and I guess since we were the end room we had to wait.

Volcano pool - the ds said the water was too cold and chose the quiet pool instead, they said the water was much warmer. I also thought the water looked a little too cloudy. The slide closes at 8 pm. Way too early.

We returned on 4-27-05. We had a beautiful view from our belcony of the fireworks , Tahiti longouse, lagoon view, there was never anyone on the beach below us, we watched in our jammies. If you do not have a lagoon view room, this is a great spot on the "other beach"! I don't think people realize it is there. We had a wonderful time. It was our first! Can't wait to go back! DREAM VACATION! LOVED THE POLYNESIAN!!!!!

Forgot to mention that there are two hamocks and about 8 beach chairs behind the Tahiti longhouse. Almost always empty.

luvmarypoppins said:
Not a good view but it was nice to sit on the balcony and only encountered our rude smoking neighbor once.

What did he do that was rude?

johnsonet said:
Probably a reference to the fact that Samoa is a NON-SMOKING longhouse... :rolleyes:

Oh...didn't know. I was imagining loud body functions. :eek:

That's kind of a relief actually.

luvmarypoppins said:
It was good to be back at the Polynesian again, since our last 2 stays were at the Swan. We asked for the Samoa bldg. again and due to our late check in around 10 pm, we did get the Samoa bldg, room 3611. It was an end room with a view of the top of the hawaii bldg. Not a good view but it was nice to sit on the balcony and only encountered our rude smoking neighbor once. I shouldnt complain too much because I am sure they had their share of our 3 teen ds mouths too.
Good points: Captain Cooks was close for snacks and late night food
Transportation was good. Only stood on bus once.Love the boat ride back from the MK.
Wishes from the Beach.
Arcade challenge for the DS.
Actually had the ds in the quiet pool this time. Enjoyed it.
Coffee maker in the room for dh. Helped him get out of bed in the morning.
Great ap room rate, sorry I would never pay rack rate to stay here. Too expensive.

Bad points: Wishes from the Beach, didnt hear the music. and one night there was hardly any room in the best viewing area, I cant believe all those people were staying at the Polynesian and I am sure they were not. I used to be a promoter of enjoying a disney resort even if you arent staying there, but now I have a different opinion that those "visiting" should wait until the end to sit etc. If I was paying rack rate I would be really upset. I am still wishing they had a scan gate with room card access only for the pool and beach. One night dh was watching wishes from a hammock and it started to rain, he said he heard people around him say, hurry we need to get back in the cars and head to our motel etc. Gheesh. At least he was in the hammock. and just had to go back to our Poly room.

One day, sunday, our room was not made up until around 5 pm. We didnt leave the room until noon, but I think that was a long time to wait. There really arent alot of rooms on the floor and I guess since we were the end room we had to wait.

Volcano pool - the ds said the water was too cold and chose the quiet pool instead, they said the water was much warmer. I also thought the water looked a little too cloudy. The slide closes at 8 pm. Way too early.

We are going to Poly June 18-23. My first time staying on-property. I read that it is better to request which room you would like and that Disney will try to accommodate your request. From what I have read on the boards, Somoa would be my choice. We are in a garden view room. We have 3 kids (10, 8 & 6) who love to chase lizards. So I was going to request a 1st floor room in Somoa (preferably the end of possible. Which side should I request? I know that one side views the valcano pool, correct? What does the other side view? Any recommendations on alternate bldgs. or rooms to request?

We were at the Poly 4/27 - 5/3. We loved the Poly! It was our first time staying there and I just thought it was worth every penny. It is a beautiful resort. Rack rate would be expensive, but we as Diser's no better than to pay rack rate. I don't see how another resort could top the beauty and relaxed atmosphere of the Poly. It was fantastic!!! If you have an upcoming trip booked at the Poly, you are in for a treat! I felt consumed by the resort the whole time I was there. My family really loved it as well.

I wish I didn't have to leave, but just thinking of our next visit allowed me to cope with departing!

By the way, Ohana was the best meal we had the whole trip out of all the places we ate; and we ate at a lot of restaurants. I got quite the use out of my DDE!

ADP :goodvibes

Bartoli said:
We are going to Poly June 18-23. My first time staying on-property. I read that it is better to request which room you would like and that Disney will try to accommodate your request. From what I have read on the boards, Somoa would be my choice. We are in a garden view room. We have 3 kids (10, 8 & 6) who love to chase lizards. So I was going to request a 1st floor room in Somoa (preferably the end of possible. Which side should I request? I know that one side views the valcano pool, correct? What does the other side view? Any recommendations on alternate bldgs. or rooms to request?

Our last time at the Poly we had 1602, this was ground floor, volcano pool view, l room away from the end, I am referring closer to the pool end and not the beach end , right across from the ice machine, great in summer for swimming and ice. I also asked for this specifically this time, ground floor, samoa, volcano pool view. When we checked in, which was really late at night due to our messed up flight, like after 10 pm. Fili, the CM, who was very nice, informed us this is what we got because we had an "ap rate". Gheesh, I wasnt going to argue because we were in the building we wanted and we already had a terrible day with our airport mess, we really dont spend alot of time in the room, but it made it sound like, since you are getting a discount on the room, then don't complain about what you are getting. We have been there before and had other rooms, so it was decent enough for us. It was fun to sit out on a top balcony once in a while but there was no view to speak of and yes from my previous post, our rude neighbor was smoking. It aggravated me because our one ds has very bad asthma. I said rather loudly, I better go check this out at the front desk etc. Never smelled another cigarette again and YES the bldg. is suppose to be totally non smoking. I also observed a group of people on the ground floor volcano side having a little party with cigarettes galore. I am sorry but I am looking out for my ds health etc. Also a very rude guy had a cigar on the beach during the fireworks. It was nauseating.

Can any recent Poly guests answer this - are the fridges standard in the rooms yet or do you still need to request them at check-in? Thanks!

We were in Raratonga 2826 (view of the monorail) and we did not have a fridge in our room. We had to request it. It was free. I believe most rooms do not have a fridge if any at all.

ADP :goodvibes

Welcome back and thanks for the report. I am surprised with the three different beaches to view the fireworks that there was not a good spot to go. I agree most people don’t even know Tahiti beach is over there as poly1st timer was talking about. I think because of the waterfall and waterslide it is harder to keep the volcano pool as warm as the east pool (quiet pool) but than again we are there when it is hot so it is perfect temp. I do know that if you are in your room past about 8:00 or 9:00 when they come by the first time and there is a “do not disturb” than your room gets done last.

Thanks again.

Aloha

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter