• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from the Grand Californian--any questions?

2belles'mom

Mouseketeer
We just returned from 3 magical days at the GC. Having been to WDW several times the last couple of years (with DH and DDs, 2 and 4), I wasn't sure what to expect. We loved it! I was not disappointed in the least. California Advenure was a lot of fun, and DL was a blast. We also enjoyed wandering the grounds of Disneyland Hotel and Downtown Disney.

One note: We did a LOT more walking than at WDW. Everything is within walking distance, so we walked from GC to DL, to GC, to DD, to Disneyland Hotel, etc. Very convenient, but my legs and feet are feeling it now!

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has...

2belles'mom

We will be at the GC in September for 2nts and we are doing theme park view. What location should I request for our room to get a really good view?

Also by any chance on your super bill (if you still have it) does it have fax number and name of the hotel manager over there. Prior to our stay I am going to fax to the hotel manager a request to be upgraded to concierge.

Thanks
Cindy

Hi Minybear,

We were in room 2350, which was a theme park/pool view (2nd floor). We had a WONDERFUL view of Paradise Pier. Our room was a quick elevator ride down to the DCA entrance and pool; it was a bit more of a walk to Downtown Disney and Disneyland. The only drawback was that it seemed the only way to access the lobby was by going outside and then re-entering the hotel. This caused some "backtracking" when going to Downtown Dis and on to Disneyland, which require a trip through the lobby and conference center.

I think the rooms directly over the lobby would also have a spectacular view and might be more centrally located (sorry--I don't know those room numbers). We looked out at those rooms, which were to our right.

So far I can't find any phone numbers for you, but I will let you know if I find something!

Thanks 2belles'mom

Looks like I am going to request one of the rooms that is over the lobby and see what happens.

If you can find the fax # that would be great but if you cannot please do not worry about it.

Thanks for all your info. :smooth:

We just returned from the GC and had room 3010 which was a theme park view.
Our balcony looked sraight out to Paradise Pier and had a view of the pool with the water slides.

We found the best way to get to DD was to go through the convention center hallway to the end and then turn right outside and then a quick left. This will bring you to the heart of DD.

I saw this in one other spot about faxing for upgrade.. What is this? Will they give this to you free or what? Thanks:)

doodlebug

Normally with WDW you fax the room controller 5 days prior all your requests for your room and you basicly keep your fingers crossed that any of your requests have been granted.

Before I knew about this board, when we went to DLHotel I had faxed the hotel manager my requests for an upgrade due to I am in the industry (supervisor of reservations in Tucson AZ) and I asked for an industry upgrade to a suite and we received it. Our trip to GC in September I will be doing the same thing and requesting an upgrade to concierge theme park view.:smooth:

2belles'mom

I cannot wait to read your trip report.:bounce:

So do you have to be in the travel industry to receive the upgrade or can anyone fax for an upgrade request? I am sure we will be happy with what we get but anyway of getting a better room would be great.. It will be our first time at the Disneyland Resort and want it to be grand!! Would the accept a request from a basic view room to the concierge level?

doodlebug

Of course you do not have to be in the travel industry to get an upgrade (I just happen to be in the industry). An upgrade can be given to anyone depending on space availability for the one level upgrade.

Depending on the type of room you already have reserved you can request a one level upgrade (ie from standard courtyard view to theme park view).

Normally you can request an upgrade within your reservation and/or fax the hotel manager or person who does the room assignments to give you an upgrade if it is availble for you. Not everyone gets an upgrade when they request it. Some get an upgrade without even asking for one (this probually happened to 2belles'mom). It really depends on whats happening at the hotel at that time.

Sounds easy enough.. I am going to give it a try the week before we arrive in October.. Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to post a trip report when we finally go!!!

doodlebug

Let me know if you were succesfull in getting an upgrade. I would love to know. Have a good trip.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter