Just back from the GF-SL concierge

PghDisney

Earning My Ears
Just back from the Grand Floridian, Sugar Loaf Concierge, and am exhausted, but can make a short post now and add to it later. Clarke and the others in planning were all that I could have asked before going, giving freely of their time (in Clarke’s case about an hour and a quarter altogether through planning ressies and events, and with questions, and perhaps 20 minutes more with others). When we arrived we were met by one of the concierge who took us to the Sugar Loaf lounge area. At that time they were into the afternoon snacks (I know, everyone seems to want to know of these though they are only a small part of the service and the reason to come), I believe that a chicken slice with a red pepper stuffing as well as some duck dish that I was told by my travelling companion was quite good. And btw, no paper plates here, marble serving areas and tables, silver plate coffee, tea, and beverage containers (and I think silverware too) as well as simple white ceramic dishes and glassware. The SL building was only half full, and for that matter the parks were very uncrowded all week, which meant that we could arrive at the parks at 9 am, ride all there was to ride and be done often by 1 p.m. heading back to relax, my companion for a nap, me to settle in the lounge, a bit to read, and some lemonade, iced tea, hot tea, and snacks. BTW, the snacks, never ran out, were of high quality and none took advantage, they really are just snacks albeit very very nice ones (the hot fresh made cranberry scones were especially nice with jam and jellies). That said, even just snacking took its toll, I have never been so full, and that was with most days only one big meal usually dinner, I am just not used to that snacking after a big breakfast. But you will be tempted, the three humus dishes (black olive and red pepper were two) on the home made crackers were especially nice. And sitting in a lounge with classical music playing in the background, or Disney music, and more staff waiting for any need that you would have than there were guests in the lounge was very nice. The seating was mostly either small tables (green marble top, iron bottoms, like in a French café) or small seating areas with tapestry covered couches and a couple of highback chairs, a large patterned rug in the area. Very elegant, and much in line with what you see in the lobby of the GF proper.

Back to the half full SL building, and uncrowded overall Disney and GF in particular, we did enquire on how much it would be to upgrade to RPC, $121 a night, the rack difference, while we were hoping for the $70 a night we had once seen briefly while making reservations through expedia (and missed, gone by the time we decided on it), despite celebrating a birthday and an engagement, so do not expect an upgrade without paying full price though some of you may get lucky. That said, we did not regret a moment ‘settling’ for SL, it was magical.

Now for some of the magic, one day My SO decided that she wished lunch at England (the Rose and Crown) . . .about 45 minutes from that decision time, we were in MGM, so called the GF, got connected to the concierge, and they looked, and got a ressie, when we arrived it was full people waiting . . .a small thing but impressed me none the less. More impressive, I planned dinner and Victoria and Alberts, and giving a ring there to My SO . . .but upon arriving I asked if the chef’s table could be arranged, they said if there was a cancellation . . .sure enough there was and we had to have been moved way to the top of the list, so they actually did get us the chef’s table at V&A . . . and the ring was presented as an ‘extra’ desert under a silver dome with rose petals all about it . . . totally flooring the one I asked (she did say yes). . . .and then totally surprising me, when we got back to the room there were rose petals leading to the bed, hearts about and rose petals forming hearts on the bed with congratulations there . . . My fiancé was looking to see what would happen next, and it was an amazing evening . . . all planned without even me knowing by the concierges.

As an aside and our take on the various comparisons I have seen on the board here, we did eat at Kona’s in the Polynesian (very nice meal there and as expected wonderful coffee) and looked about the place. I know how many are fans, and we did not see the concierge area, but the hotel itself just seemed to need that updating that people are talking of, it was a bit dated to both of us, and much much less of the wow factor, and face it at $500 a night on up there should be more wow. I am not sure if we are in the minority here but we both agreed that we would have been much less happy had we chosen there when the costs were so similar.

I can give more thoughts, and we have pictures of all the above including pictures of the chef’s table at V&A, and each meal that they prepared, including that ring one, if I can figure out how to download them to some webspace. That is a job for another night though.

p.s no special towel critters (which did not bother us at all) but wonderful robes and our ice bucket was FILLED every night . . .much nicer than towel critters to me. . . . *chuckles* . . .to bed with me, I could tell more but I would be here too long, leave any questions and I will happily answer though

Congratulations on your engagement!:D

We stayed in Sugar Loaf for 9 nights in January of 2002 and then for 8 nights in Dec. '02 and I have to compliment you on your description of the lounge. I can see it now.:D

We celebrated our 23rd anniversary at the Chef's Table during our Jan. trip and my husband asked them to "serve" my anniversary gift which was three gold Disney charms. Victoria & Albert brought them to me in the same manner you described at the beginning of three different courses. It was such a surprise as the dinner was our gift to each other. Very cool presentation isn't it?

As you can see by my signature we are huge Polynesian fans but some people do react the same way that you did if they just visit. Few people seem to feel that way once they stay. There is an incredible amount of magic at the place. But you found your magic at the GF and will have great memories.

We have stayed a few times in the Polynesian concierge and while we enjoy both very much on balance the Polynesian gets our vote.

BTW in the Hawaii building they do offer china as well as paper plates and silverware or plasticware. Cups and saucers or to go cups...well you get the drift.

Are you sure you bumped someone's spot at the Chef's Table? I wonder if there just wasn't any one else on the list that night? Otherwise it probably would have been filled by the time you called. Did you enjoy your meal?

Thanks again for the description. I'll have to read it again just to bring back happy memories! Congratulations again.

ty for the very kind words and wishes, and yes, as I said above we never even saw a room, just the lobby, grounds and pool area, and figured that there might be something more because of all the positive reactions (or thought that it might just be us and what appeals to us) . . .

as for the chef's table, I am not sure if we bumped anyone or not, it was unavailable unless someone cancelled (which they did) but I was told when I was put on the waiting list that the list was very long so I assumed that was true and was surprised when I got the call and had to assume that we got bumped up.

I will try to post room pics soon and especially the V&A ones as we also took pics of each dish served. One very cool thing that the chef did was 'wing' the menu, I am basically a vegitarian except for a bit of fish, and he came through with an amazing menu just for me, and most surprising of all, the printed menu at the end had all those changes, they must do it by computer, but still, I was so surprised . . . it is definately costly, my fiance does not drink much so we split one wine pairing and still with tip it was hugely expensive, but I would have to say worth it.

Thanks for your answer. Was it the concierge who said there was a long list or the restaurant? I would believe them too. I am just wondering how they do these things. At any rate I'm so glad it worked out for you on your special night. And how cool about the rose petals in your room!

Look forward to seeing your pictures. Will you post a review of your meal on the restaurant board?

PghDisney, congratulations on your engagement! How exciting it must have been for your fiancé to have received her ring at V&A's. The GF is a glorious resort and it sounds like its magic seeped into your vacation.

Someone just today told me that the GF is working hard on getting its old magic back. Your post has made me believe that it must be true. I'll be at the GF next month and am hoping to have as lovely a stay as you just had. I can't wait to see your photos. Again, congratulations.

The 5-7 service is with various pretty wonderful items, as at all the resort concierges, anything from sushi to duck to pesto stuffed chicken, but think very very fancy hors d'oerves at a very very nice wedding in size of items . . . the cheese and . . .I would not call them crackers as all were home made, but much nicer than crackers . . .were in the afternoon after the high tea . . . no alcohol at all now, but soon . . . the lack of the final service, with wine and liquors and (late night, they have wonderful cookies, brownies, etc during the day) deserts will be added soon, it only was lacking because of no kitchen at SL, and they are adding that now . . .

and the manager of V&A told me of the long waiting list when I arrived sunday and was making arrangments for the ring (which he knew of through planning) . . . by wednesday I had a ressie for that evening

as for the pics, we took over 100 and I need to download them tonight, find a site to host the perhaps 15 from V&A, and perhaps 5 from sugar loaf, and link them I hope by tomorrow, and will link the V&A ones with a c&p from the above about V&A to the restaurant posts as well . . . if (crossing my fingers) I can do all that above, and hopefully soon . . .thank you all for the wonnderful thoughts and have a great time on your trips

a p.s., mission: space at epcot is awesome . . . just keep your head back and eyes forward or you will get woozy

ty for the link to do this californiadreaming . . .

the promised pics, of the chef's table at V&A and a small bit of the room at GF-SL concierge . . .

<a href='http://community.webshots.com/album/89572369yscAPJ'>V&A Chef's Table</a>

Menu to follow once I get them scanned in . . .

PghDisney, lovely photos. Thank you for sharing them. I’ll be awaiting my invitation to your upcoming WDW Fairy Tale Wedding. I think the castle wedding would do quite nicely (plus, it’s right across the lagoon from your new favorite hotel, the Grand Floridian). ;)

Such a wonderful and romantic vacation! What a neat place to propose...your family will enjoy hearing about it for years to come - and you may one day bring your kids back to where "it all began!"

Mazel Tov - Congratulations!

:earsgirl: :earsboy:

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences pghdisney! I remember seeing your posts before, and you telling us that you would post when you got back! I am so glad you did!! We will be staying at the Grand Floridian SL concierge at our first trip to WDW in about 2 1/2 weeks, and reading your posts and seeing your pics has made me so excited! I am SO hoping that it will be as slow as it was during your trip, but I am not counting on it. We will have a great time regardless, and I too, have had great experiences so far with the GF concierges...Ketina, and Chrissy have been very helpful and have spent alot of time with me. I hope it is a taste of the magic that is to come! You have really helped me get into the GF mood!

Thanks also about the info about the SL concierge lounge offerings, I was told by planning that there would be changes, but I did not know what that would be...neat to see that they are adding a few of the perks of the main building! :)

Thanks for the report PghDisney. I loved your description of the lounge- it brought me right back to a couple of weeks ago when I woke before dh or the kids and had a lovely leisurely breakfast there reading the paper and listening to the music!

Congratulations on the engagement!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter