• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from the Fantasy

mom2aredhead

DIS Veteran
Our first cruise and we absolutely loved it. 2 adults, 1 child (8 yo boy), Eastern Caribbean.

Booked using the VGT code, and ended up 10th floor aft, cabin 10654. Occasional early morning noise when they were setting up Cabanas (directly over us), but the convenience of having the stairway right there, up 1 flight and landing right in Cabanas for me outweighed any noise. It was so easy to run up and get a drink from the beverage station, or run up to grab breakfast and eat on our verandah. Would definitely stay there again without hesitation.

Food:
Our dinner rotation was RAERAER. Really liked Royal Court, only ate in Enchanted Garden once since we were in Palo the other night, (which was delicious btw) and believe it or not, I have to say that Animator's Palatte was my least favorite, aside from the 15 minute animation show which was fun. Other than that quick show, it was essentially dinner with cartoons running in the background. (Yawn) And Crush was cute, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to eat there more often. YMMV...

And speaking of dinner - my quick thought about the "dress code". They should either enforce it, or eliminate it. The limbo grey area is annoying. My husband wore pants and a polo to dinner every night except for formal night and Palo night, when he wore a shirt/tie and dress pants. My 8 year old wore khaki's and a collar shirt every night except the last night when I finally relented and let him wear (nice) shorts. I was in a dress or skirt every night. The "dinner" clothes were essentially a whole extra suitcase, which I was happy to pack since it was the "dress code", only to be surrounded in the dining room by people in shorts and flip flops, including on "formal" night. If Disney doesn't care about the dress code (obviously) then just get rid of it. Or require it for 2 nights and enforce it. My 2 cents - for what its worth.

Had breakfast at Cabanas most every morning. It was good...lots of variety, replenished often, no complaints except the pancakes which were not so good. Skipped lunch most days, but when we did have something it was also at Cabanas.

Excursions:
We did the Bernard's tour in St. Maarten (good - would recommend, although I have to say I didn't particularly like St. Maarten overall), went to Magen's Bay in St. Thomas via DCL excursion (very nice beach, but next time I would save some $$ and just take a cab there on my own and stay a little longer), and in CC we did the "extreme getaway package" that included stingrays, floats, snorkel equipment, and bikes (which we never rode). Worked out well for us.

Shows:
Missed Wishes since we were in Palo at a time when we couldn't really make either show, but I heard it was very good. Believe was really good, as was Aladdin and the Magician. The shows on the first and last night were essentially live DCL commercials, so if you have to skip a show night, skip one of those. We didn't go to any movies, mostly because that is something we can do at home, and we wanted to do things that were different.

Any questions, fire away!

Thanks for posting! The clothing issue is a very touchy subject. My family will always dress appropriately, especially no flip flops. Unless a toe or foot is broken.

What is the vgt code? I'm new to this. Thx

Verandah guarantee discount code. You book inside (IGT), outside (OGT), or verandah (VGT), and they guarantee you that category somewhere on the ship. You don't get your stateroom assignment until about 10 days prior to sailing. Offered on limited sailings for a limited time.

I agree with enforcing the dress code. I am tired of people saying that they are on vacation. It is just an excuse to dress like a slob and not care about anyone but themselves. :confused3

DH & I will be on the August 25, 2012 Fantasy cruise. I have my gown all ready & his Tux and sport coats are going to the cleaners this week. We enjoy dressing up and with the economy a lot of the venues we used to dress up for have been put to the side by the people who used to sponsor them. The cruise gives us the opportunity to dress up. We can't wait. Formal night happens to coincide with our Remy night & our 40th Wedding Anniversary. Can't believe how everything fell together for us.:goodvibes

I agree with enforcing the dress code. I am tired of people saying that they are on vacation. It is just an excuse to dress like a slob and not care about anyone but themselves. :confused3

I'm not asking to start an argument, just wondering because I don't understand. Dressing in shorts or flip flops in general is dressing like a slob or are you thinking of some other form of dress when you say slob? And how does that show that a person doesn't care about anyone but themselves? I'm kinda confused. :confused3 I guess because I don't really care how other people are dressed around me unless their parts are hanging out. I'm kinda too busy enjoying my family to notice what anyone else is wearing.

I find life to be a great deal more pleasant when I stop enforcing my expectations on others.

DH & I will be on the August 25, 2012 Fantasy cruise. I have my gown all ready & his Tux and sport coats are going to the cleaners this week. We enjoy dressing up and with the economy a lot of the venues we used to dress up for have been put to the side by the people who used to sponsor them. The cruise gives us the opportunity to dress up. We can't wait. Formal night happens to coincide with our Remy night & our 40th Wedding Anniversary. Can't believe how everything fell together for us.:goodvibes

Same here It is real funny how some people here will bash Carnival as "low class","slobs","cheap experience" and a few other "lines" I have found that the "clientele" on Carnival dress nicer for diner and complain way less about dress requirements.:rolleyes:

I'm not asking to start an argument, just wondering because I don't understand. Dressing in shorts or flip flops in general is dressing like a slob or are you thinking of some other form of dress when you say slob? And how does that show that a person doesn't care about anyone but themselves? I'm kinda confused. :confused3 I guess because I don't really care how other people are dressed around me unless their parts are hanging out. I'm kinda too busy enjoying my family to notice what anyone else is wearing.

Disney request that these items not be worn, but people decide that a request means that they can do whatever they want & since DCL doesn't ENFORCE it it means it doesn't matter. DCL probably stopped making an issue of it because people who didn't care caused more of a fuss than those of us who do care. Shorts & flip flops are fine on deck during the day, but even when you go to an evening out at a fine restaurant at home it is not what most people would wear. Disney's onboard restaurants are comparable to fine dining on land. I feel that it is disrespectful to DCL & your fellow passengers to just wear whatever you feel like instead of following their request.

One of the reasons I tend to notice what people are wearing is because the ones who dress down the most are the ones who usually make a spectical of themselves by acting out. You say you don't notice how people are dressed, but then you go on to say "unless their parts are hanging out" which means you just decide what is inappropriate to you. :confused3

Please don't turn my thread about our wonderful vacation into a dress code debate. Shorts and flip flops do not equate to a "slob" - that is how I am dressed my entire summer when not at work. It is requested by Disney that people not wear these things in the dining room, so we didn't, but I would never judge anyone who did. Our tablemates were dressed in shorts all week (adults and kids) and we all had a fabulous time together. The only thing I am "judging" when it comes to the dress code is Disney itself. Why bother having it printed, or on the website, or in the reminders if you don't enforce it? That was my point. To each his own, on vacation, and in life.

Anyhoo...

I forgot to mention this cruise was SOLD OUT. The pools were crowded but manageable if you timed it right, Aquaduck had some long wait times posted (45 mins +) but just like managing rides at WDW, if you time it right (like first thing in the morning, or catch the matinee show then go swimming after dinner) then it was fine. Other than the pools, I honestly never felt that it was out-of-control crowded. I would obviously prefer that my next trip not be during a holiday week with such a full ship, but sometimes you can't really pick your vacation time.

And we had perfect weather except for a brief (and torrential) downpour late afternoon in St. Thomas, which caused them to cancel their Independence Day celebration deck party. I was so relieved about the weather since the forecast before we left was suspect.

If anyone has any other questions (not dress-code related please), I would be happy to answer.

Our first cruise and we absolutely loved it. 2 adults, 1 child (8 yo boy), Eastern Caribbean.

Excursions:
We did the Bernard's tour in St. Maarten (good - would recommend, although I have to say I didn't particularly like St. Maarten overall), went to Magen's Bay in St. Thomas via DCL excursion (very nice beach, but next time I would save some $$ and just take a cab there on my own and stay a little longer), and in CC we did the "extreme getaway package" that included stingrays, floats, snorkel equipment, and bikes (which we never rode). Worked out well for us.

Any questions, fire away!

Thanks for the review we are booked with Bernard's also in August was your tour the private one or regular? We will be on the regular one with beach and shopping. Any details of your tour would be appreciated Renee

Bernards was good. It was a full day and we definitely spent lot of time on the bus, but we saw a lot. Our tour guide was "Sexy", and he had a cooler full of rum punch, El Presidente beer, water bottles, and juice boxes for the kids. We were a mixed group, mostly adults and about 4-5 kids. He told us a lot bout the French vs. Dutch sides of the island, similarities, differences between the 2, the hurricane that hit them back in the late 90's, and a lot of interesting tidbits of info about their culture, history, etc.
We were in Orient Beach for about an hour and a half. Spent $10.00 for 2 lounge chairs, an umbrella, and 2 drinks. I could have stayed there longer. Maho was interesting...we were there about 30 minutes and saw 2 planes land. Also stopped at the Iguana place, some other bay where the sea urchin guy was, a few scenic overlooks, and a big souvenir store at the end that had cheap t-shirts, etc.
For $40, it was definitely a comprehensive tour of the island and since we had never been there, it fit the bill. The next day at St. Thomas we went to Magen's Bay and just stayed at the beach all day, which I have to say I enjoyed a little bit more, but we are definitely beach people.

Bernards was good. It was a full day and we definitely spent lot of time on the bus, but we saw a lot. Our tour guide was "Sexy", and he had a cooler full of rum punch, El Presidente beer, water bottles, and juice boxes for the kids. We were a mixed group, mostly adults and about 4-5 kids. He told us a lot bout the French vs. Dutch sides of the island, similarities, differences between the 2, the hurricane that hit them back in the late 90's, and a lot of interesting tidbits of info about their culture, history, etc.
We were in Orient Beach for about an hour and a half. Spent $10.00 for 2 lounge chairs, an umbrella, and 2 drinks. I could have stayed there longer. Maho was interesting...we were there about 30 minutes and saw 2 planes land. Also stopped at the Iguana place, some other bay where the sea urchin guy was, a few scenic overlooks, and a big souvenir store at the end that had cheap t-shirts, etc.
For $40, it was definitely a comprehensive tour of the island and since we had never been there, it fit the bill. The next day at St. Thomas we went to Magen's Bay and just stayed at the beach all day, which I have to say I enjoyed a little bit more, but we are definitely beach people.

:thanks:... love the name of your guide I read another review and his was "sugar" Yes for the money and all the good reviews we are looking froward to it and we are beach people as well haven't decided on what to do in St Thomas last time we took a cab to Coki beach and enjoyed that maybe we will try Magen's this time

:thanks:... love the name of your guide I read another review and his was "sugar" Yes for the money and all the good reviews we are looking froward to it and we are beach people as well haven't decided on what to do in St Thomas last time we took a cab to Coki beach and enjoyed that maybe we will try Magen's this time

Magen's was beautiful. BUT, I would take a taxi on my own rather than do the DCL excursion. We spent about $140 for the 3 of us, but I think it would have been cheaper to pay a cab, rent chairs, and pay the admission on our own. And we could have stayed a little longer. We got there around 10:00 and left at 1:45. We definitely could have done another hour or so and been back well in time for 4:00. Honestly not sure how much the taxi would have been, (there re only 3 of us) but I think the whole day would have come in under $140.

What a coincidence I was on the fantasy with my family on the Fantasy on that same cruise and we had the same dining rotation and wen just got back yesterday. Oh and also next time you want to catch a show you miss you can watch it on tv on the Walt Disney Theatre tv station.

Great report. It's always reassuring to hear of a wonderful time, particularly when the ship is sold out. Since full is full on a ship and cannot get as crazy as full in the parks, We love to hear it is still fun and enjoyable. Thank you for your report.:thumbsup2

Magen's was beautiful. BUT, I would take a taxi on my own rather than do the DCL excursion. We spent about $140 for the 3 of us, but I think it would have been cheaper to pay a cab, rent chairs, and pay the admission on our own. And we could have stayed a little longer. We got there around 10:00 and left at 1:45. We definitely could have done another hour or so and been back well in time for 4:00. Honestly not sure how much the taxi would have been, (there re only 3 of us) but I think the whole day would have come in under $140.

We were on the Fantasy last week too! We did Magen's Bay on our own and definitely saved money! We are a family of 4 (2 adults/2 kids) and it would have cost us $168 to do this excursion through DCL. I had done a little research prior to our trip to see if we could do it cheaper on our own. We hopped aboard one of those open air taxi/bus things waiting right at the port, and that was $8/person each way ($70 R/T with a tip). It was $4 for adults to get on the beach (kids under 12 were free) so $8 there. Then we rented 2 lounge chairs which was $7/chair with a $5 deposit/per chair that you get back when you return the chairs at the end of the day (so $14 there). You could also rent the smaller sand chairs for $5/chair if you preferred. We arrived before 10am and left around 1:30 with a stop for pictures on the way back to the ship. So all total, we spent $92...a $76 savings for our family!

We were on the Fantasy last week too! We did Magen's Bay on our own and definitely saved money! We are a family of 4 (2 adults/2 kids) and it would have cost us $168 to do this excursion through DCL. I had done a little research prior to our trip to see if we could do it cheaper on our own. We hopped aboard one of those open air taxi/bus things waiting right at the port, and that was $8/person each way ($70 R/T with a tip). It was $4 for adults to get on the beach (kids under 12 were free) so $8 there. Then we rented 2 lounge chairs which was $7/chair with a $5 deposit/per chair that you get back when you return the chairs at the end of the day (so $14 there). You could also rent the smaller sand chairs for $5/chair if you preferred. We arrived before 10am and left around 1:30 with a stop for pictures on the way back to the ship. So all total, we spent $92...a $76 savings for our family!

thanks for the great info:-) was it easy to get the cab/open air bus back to port?

thanks for the great info:-) was it easy to get the cab/open air bus back to port?

Yes! Our driver on the way to Magen's Bay asked us what time we were planning to leave, and he was waiting for us in the parking lot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter