Just back from SSR

kstrong001

Earning My Ears
Just back from 4 nights at SSR. Checked in on Sunday around 12:30 and our room was ready. Stayed in the Grandstand area and loved it. Our 14 month old liked the play area at the pool there more than any attraction in the parks. No problems with bus service. We liked the resort atmosphere and had several nice walks towards Downtown Disney to enjoy the views. Temps were around 80 on Sun. and Mon. and in the 60’s on Tues. and Wed. Was surprised by the park crowds but it wasn’t too bad.

We rented points for this trip as we’re not DVC members yet. This was our first time in a one bedroom and it will be hard to go back to a hotel room or studio. It was especially nice to have a separate sleeping area from son, kitchen, laundry, pack-in-play and high chair. We took the DVC tour and were impressed by the AK rooms, but will likely hold off for the Contemporary (our guide will be contacting us) unless we find small resale contract at BWV before then and would add-on at the Contemporary. Our last night we took a bus to Epcot and walked over to ESPN Zone for supper. BWV and BCV are in really great locations.

The only complaint I had was the thermostat sensors. Woke up around 4am on Monday sweating. Called maintenance the next day and they came and programmed the thermostat to bypass the energy saving mode. It seems ridiculous to me that you need to have Maintenance program your thermostat to keep a constant temperature. They acknowledged that the thermostats don’t work when people are sleeping. Do all the DVC resorts have these thermostats?

I am glad that you enjoyed your trip! There have been posts showing how to program the thermostat yourself, but I don't have them saved.

Glad you enjoyed our home:) Grandstand is an excellent location...glad to hear about the bus transportation as well!!
Thanks for posting!

Just back from 4 nights at SSR. Checked in on Sunday around 12:30 and our room was ready. Stayed in the Grandstand area and loved it. Our 14 month old liked the play area at the pool there more than any attraction in the parks. No problems with bus service. We liked the resort atmosphere and had several nice walks towards Downtown Disney to enjoy the views. Temps were around 80 on Sun. and Mon. and in the 60’s on Tues. and Wed. Was surprised by the park crowds but it wasn’t too bad.

We rented points for this trip as we’re not DVC members yet. This was our first time in a one bedroom and it will be hard to go back to a hotel room or studio. It was especially nice to have a separate sleeping area from son, kitchen, laundry, pack-in-play and high chair. We took the DVC tour and were impressed by the AK rooms, but will likely hold off for the Contemporary (our guide will be contacting us) unless we find small resale contract at BWV before then and would add-on at the Contemporary. Our last night we took a bus to Epcot and walked over to ESPN Zone for supper. BWV and BCV are in really great locations.

The only complaint I had was the thermostat sensors. Woke up around 4am on Monday sweating. Called maintenance the next day and they came and programmed the thermostat to bypass the energy saving mode. It seems ridiculous to me that you need to have Maintenance program your thermostat to keep a constant temperature. They acknowledged that the thermostats don’t work when people are sleeping. Do all the DVC resorts have these thermostats?

Someone suggested bringing a few balloons from home, blow them up and let them circulate around the room and this will keep the thermostats working. :upsidedow Never tried it, though.

Just back from 4 nights at SSR. The only complaint I had was the thermostat sensors. Woke up around 4am on Monday sweating. Called maintenance the next day and they came and programmed the thermostat to bypass the energy saving mode. It seems ridiculous to me that you need to have Maintenance program your thermostat to keep a constant temperature. They acknowledged that the thermostats don’t work when people are sleeping. Do all the DVC resorts have these thermostats?

I think they do. Someone had posted instructions on how to bypass the sensor but I can't seem to find it now.

Anyone?

Yep... I have those instructions somewhere. I'll try to find them and PM them to you (the OP) for the next stay.

Would you be able to post them for those of us who are interested? Or is that a no-no (secret)?? Or maybe someone can point us to the thread?

OP -- glad you had a wonderful trip!

I hope this works - I saved it from a previous post:

SSR – How to bypass the automatic setting on the air conditioning

Hold the F/C button in until it says Bp then let it go. When it comes back on it'll be in Cent so you're need to push it once more to get the F reading. It then works like a regular thermostat. I think the bypass at SSR is good for 72 hours…

Wish we had known about the thermostat bypass. We went in Dec. and all would be fine during the day and night until 2am. Then it just shut off. I normally sleep with either no blanket or the bedsheet. I would be freezing and turn that thermostat as high as it could go. We were there for 8 days and had to get maintenance twice. I wrote down those instructions. Thanks!

Temps were around 80 on Sun. and Mon. and in the 60’s on Tues. and Wed. Was surprised by the park crowds but it wasn’t too bad.

We were also at WDW @ OKW Resort. It was weird to be swimming the first few days and wearing a sweatshirt the last few. But considering we had a foot of snow back home, and temperatures that reached -2, we were thrilled with 60 degrees!!!

I actually thought the crowds were light. We went to Epcot Monday, and the only ride with more than a 10 minute wait was Soarin, which we got a fast pass. Wed we hit MK, and again, no waits except for the kid rides (Peter Pan / Small World) - I walked right on to Space Mountain, and no wait for Haunted Mansion or Pirates. A great day at that park. Thursday we experienced the biggest crowds of the week for us at Hollywood studios, still not bad at all!

This was our first time in a one bedroom and it will be hard to go back to a hotel room or studio.

Could not agree more. Easy to get spoiled. Our first stay was a studio, then we tried a one bedroom. We have not gone back to a studio since. We love the 1 Bedroom!

Would you be able to post them for those of us who are interested? Or is that a no-no (secret)?? Or maybe someone can point us to the thread?

OP -- glad you had a wonderful trip!

Here they are:

On the thermostat, push the power button and the down arrow (button that adjusts the temp) at the exact same time. If you do this correctly, you will see the letters "bp" where the temp normally shows. You are now bypassing the sensors in the room. You can then set the temp to whatever you want and it keeps the room that cold whether you are in it or not. The maintenance man said that you might have to do this once a day as the thermostat tends to go back to sensor mode after 24 hours. The CM that did this for us said it was not a problem doing this as they do it for people all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter