Just back from POR

astraltravel

Earning My Ears
We got back yesterday from 7 days at PORFQ. Weather was perfect; 80s-90s, sunny skies, low humidity. I reserved a water view and were given 6238, overlooking the river, on the second floor. This time we rented a car through National, Emerald club and picked a little red Kia Rio, with manual locks and roll-up windows. Reminded me of cars I drove in the 60s. LOL! It was a fun little car to drive and renting through National, Emerald Club is seamless. You walk out of the airport to National, pick a car and drive off. No lines, no waiting. When you return, same deal; you just get your stuff out of the car and go.
Every cast member we dealt with was helpful and friendly. We, my daughter and I, are Disney vets and have been there many times; and this trip was a very, very nice vacation experience. POR is our favorite moderate as it is like living in a garden. Wether you choose French Quarter or Riverside, the environment is gorgeous:goodvibes. Check out my pictures on Photobucket. My username is astraltravel and view as a slideshow for an effortless look.
I have several issues, though, with this resort. The room lighting leaves a lot to be desired. The lights over the beds are too bright and too high for reading at night and there is no other light on the other side of the room. Putting make-up on is a problem as the light over the bathroom sinks is too yellow. Oh well, that is a small complaint. Last year we stayed at the Poly and there was a variety of light in the room, with the bed lights being adjustable. The other thing is the pool choices. If you stay at PORFQ there is only one pool, and there is not a lot of shade. We ended up driving over to one of the quiet pools on the Alligator Bayou side and spending the day there. If we stay at POR again we will pick Riverside due to the variety of pools. Some people complain about the double beds. That doesn't bother me. It is the old tvs. When you are used to big flat screens, the tv does take some getting used to. Also, as many here complain; there is not much choice of channels, not to mention no pay-per-view movies. Not even my beloved HGTV!.
We spent one day walking around Universal; checking out all three hotels and CityWalk and were really impressed with the hotels. they are just gorgeous! The grounds are beautiful, too. Universal clearly took a page from Disney on the landscaping, there.
If you have any questions about POR, just ask.

I think she stayed at POFQ. Since I've never read while at WDW, I'm too tired to do that. I also don't usually find time to go to the pool either. I've only been to 2 pools and one was at POFQ and there weren't that many people at it.

floridascgirl,
We stayed at PORFQ this time. The resort is one of the main reasons we go to Disney as we have been to all the parks many times and our concentration is just laying around by the pools and reading. Oh yes, going out to dinner at night, too. One of the things we do at Disney is tour the various resorts; just walk around the grounds, poke around in the gift shops and maybe stop for a drink at one of the bars, depending on the time of day.

I am glad you had a great trip! The timeframe you went is our favorite time to go to WDW due to the lovely weather!

Your post reinforces why we prefer POR over POFQ. The pool at FQ does offer very little shade and we simply prefer POR's multiple pools. While we loved POFQ it is the one and only resort we have stayed at that we have decided not to return to anytime soon. POR on the other hand, fits our needs perfectly!

Now off to check out your photobucket photos!

Which resort did you stay this time POR or POFQ? I'm confused. :confused:

floridascgirl,
We stayed at PORFQ this time. The resort is one of the main reasons we go to Disney as we have been to all the parks many times and our concentration is just laying around by the pools and reading. Oh yes, going out to dinner at night, too. One of the things we do at Disney is tour the various resorts; just walk around the grounds, poke around in the gift shops and maybe stop for a drink at one of the bars, depending on the time of day.

I think the confusion is coming with your acronym - typically "POR" stands for Port Orleans-Riverside and "POFQ" (with no "R" in it) is Port Orleans-French Quarter.

You mentioned you used a quiet pool at Riverside - you did know that you can also use the main pool there, even when staying at French Quarter?? Riverside and French Quarter are considered sister resorts and one of the few places on Disney property where it's ok to "pool hop."

Glad you had a great trip! I just got back from POFQ myself and it was WONDERFUL!!!

I just got back from POR on Saturday and except for the humidity on Friday we had EXCELLENT weather. I received a lot of Pixie Dust. I got Alligator Bayou (which I wanted but didn't ask) in Bldg. 18. Our room was in a corner and very quiet, next to the pool, a very short walk to the main areas. I do agree the TV bites. Who puts SoapNet as a channel? Our room was very clean and always had the Mickey towel on the bed waiting for us. The concierge recommended Kona for lunch and dessert at the Grand Floridian. We had the best service ever and the dessert...............was free. We went to the Floridan for dessert and while we ate we had several CM's show at our table to talk. When we were done the waiter said we were good to go and the bill was taken care of. They said since we only had dessert and had to wait a few minutes for service no charge!!! We were happy with the few and a/c.

Glad you and your daughter had a wonderful time. We will be trying POFQ for the first time in 17 days. We can not wait to try this resort. Hope we have beautiful weather like you did. I think the humidity will be more for us, which will cause few rain showers. It looks like it is a wonderfully landscaped resort. Thanks for sharing the pictures at both POFQ AND POR they look so peaceful and relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter