Just Back From POR - Pleasantly Surprised

travellady

If only the world could be like WDW every day!
Our last 2 trips, other than a quick one night stopover at POFQ, were at Deluxes - AKL, Poly, and Contemporary. We decided on POR for a 5 night stay this time as we couldn't justify 350.00+ per night at a deluxe when we could get POR for $149.00 AAA rate per night.

We loved POR. So much to do that we regretted not staying one extra night so we could spend our last day winding down at the resort. The one day we did opt to hang at the resort we did the boat to downtown Disney, rented a sea-ray, rented a surrey bike, hung by the pool, and people watched.

We were concerned about the double beds vs. queens offered at Deluxes so called ahead and requested Alligator Bayou hoping we'd get a room with a trundle despite only being 3 of us. Happily, our request was met and we were assigned Bldg 25, Alligator Bayou. The first night, we lay in bed watching TV, all fell asleep on the comfy pillow-topped double beds, and found little use for the trundle. Maybe all that walking around the resort was enough to assure a great night's sleep despite smaller than what we're used to beds.

Mousekeeping did a great job. More than enough towels for 3 of us, room always immaculate when we got back each evening, and when I requested an extra blanket the 2nd day, there were 3 extra blankets waiting for us (I sure hope somebody in another room didn't do without ;) .

The resort was fully booked during our stay but the first half of the week was convention goers so very few families around the resort those days. Later in the week, and especially yesterday, the place was buzzing with families. Made for a long wait for breakfast at Riverside Mill - both ordering and paying but not overly so.

Alligator Bayou Bldg. 25 is in a very quiet, peaceful location that suited my husband quite well as he loves to get away from it all when not in the parks. However, it was a good hike to the lobby/dining area and I did this a few times a day. Thankfully we're healthy people in great physical shape but for others with mobility issues, this bldg. may be too far of a hike. I timed each way, am a fast walker, and the quickest route was 7 minutes each way at a good pace.

Our 12 year old was disappointed there wasn't as much Disney theming (think Mickey) as he recalled from the Contemporary 2 years ago. I was surprised he even brought this up since he's hit a point where he prefers a more adultish atmosphere. In fact, his actual comment the 2nd day was "this resort doesn't have any theming". I then launched into a discussion of how the theming was old South, from POFQ urban to working class Alligator Bayou. Only after this little education lesson did I learn he meant Mickey, and Donald, and the classic Disney characters :confused3 Oh well, there's still some little kid left in him after all.

We did eat at Boatwrights and Riverside Mill. Had breakfast at Boatwrights one morning and though good, I wasn't overly impressed as it was a bit more expensive than the food court but we didn't get a whole lot more and quality was pretty equal. Dinner was good at Boatwrights - I had the Prime Rib, my husband the Jambalya, and my son a Cheeseburger. We weren't overly impressed with the dinner items at Riverside Mill, not bad, just not memorable.

The only complaint, and minor, is the connecting door between rooms lets in more noise than would just a wall. The first morning, at 6 AM, were were awakened by early risers. Thankfully, they left in no time and were were able to catch a few more zzz's. The second morning, the mousekeeper turned the TV up really loud as she was cleaning and we weren't quite ready to get up. So, do request a room without an adjoining door if you can and want to keep the room as quiet as possible.

Had we stayed at Animal Kingdom, Savannah View, at the only rate I could get when we made our reservations, $380.00 per night or Wilderness Lodge at $365.00 per night, we would have spent more than $1000.00 extra for lodging alone than we spent at POR. And don't get me started on what the Poly or Contemporary would have cost as I categorize it as absurd. I'm sorry but I just don't get how an extra $1000.00 would have brought me an extra $1000.00 in enjoyment this past week and I speak from experience since we've stayed those places. I get far more enjoyment knowing I have that extra $1000.00 in my pocket :cool1:

I think we may try Coronado Springs next time around, or possibly Contemporary garden wings if available and for a good rate. But POR will stay on our list of resorts we'll go back to. Poly is on the list of resorts we won't go back to - way overpriced for kitchy 50's Hawaiin themeing and dark and dank rooms (but that's a seperate thread so won't go into it here).

Thank you for your trip report. Our family will be staying at POR May 7-12. I feel that we (our DD) made the best choice by choosing POR.

Sounds like you had a good time and remember the prices are higher than normal because you're going in a peak time. POR and POFQ have a quite a few fans on these boards and are very popular. I have one question though and I'll quote you below.

And don't get me started on what the Poly or Contemporary would have cost as I categorize it as absurd. I'm sorry but I just don't get how an extra $1000.00 would have brought me an extra $1000.00 in enjoyment this past week and I speak from experience since we've stayed those places. I get far more enjoyment knowing I have that extra $1000.00 in my pocket

If you didn't want to get anything started by slamming other people's choices of resorts, then why did you comment on them? It almost sounds like you have an axe to grind and if you liked the resort you picked, then just let it go at that. To each their own and if someone chooses to spend their money on something you find absurd, why not let them enjoy it? There has been way too many snarky comments on these boards lately about what people chose to spend their hard earned money on and what resort they picked. I'm sorry if I come off sounding mean or harsh and I'm not trying to flame or attack you in anyway. I'm just pointing out that not everything is about money and different strokes for different folks. I chose AKL and the Poly to enhance my vacation and they both add to the overall experience of my Disney vacation.

disneyfan67 said:
Sounds like you had a good time and remember the prices are higher than normal because you're going in a peak time. POR and POFQ have a quite a few fans on these boards and are very popular. I have one question though and I'll quote you below.

If you didn't want to get anything started by slamming other people's choices of resorts, then why did you comment on them? It almost sounds like you have an axe to grind and if you liked the resort you picked, then just let it go at that. To each their own and if someone chooses to spend their money on something you find absurd, why not let them enjoy it? There has been way too many snarky comments on these boards lately about what people chose to spend their hard earned money on and what resort they picked. I'm sorry if I come off sounding mean or harsh and I'm not trying to flame or attack you in anyway. I'm just pointing out that not everything is about money and different strokes for different folks. I chose AKL and the Poly to enhance my vacation and they both add to the overall experience of my Disney vacation.

Who cares? Its his opinion and anyone can express their opinion on these boards. Ignore the comments, honestly, to take the time to respond about what he thinks is right/wrong is a waste of space. Move on.

FordFusion said:
Who cares? Its his opinion and anyone can express their opinion on these boards. Ignore the comments, honestly, to take the time to respond about what he thinks is right/wrong is a waste of space. Move on.

The reason I pointed it out was because they didn't want to start anything but made sure they got their digs in at the same time. You're right it's their opinion and I responded back to it. I've seen some far more ridiculous subjects debated on these boards, so I don't think I'm wasting my time.

I see you chose to quote me so who's wasting more time here? Move on yourself if you don't understand what a disscussion board is about. At least I not starting a 10 page, heated discussion on re fillable mugs or the right to use the beach by the Poly. I did nothing wrong by calling the OP on some of their comments.

I personally read the resort board to help get everyones opinion on what experiences they may have had at a particular resort and appreciate the good comments and as well as the bad. After all it's all opinion. If I follow their advice or ignore it that's up to me.

Thank you OP for your report on POR we have decided to stay there for our upcoming trip and reading your post helps me in thinking I've made the right decision. And thanks for the adjoining door tip. I'll know now to request a room without one.

People can read into my Poly statement what they want. My experience there wasn't bad, nor was it great. People can choose to spend their money how they wish, I know I do. A garden view room at the Poly, for the same five days I spent at the POR would have been $1150.00 more. If a Poly experience is worth $1150.00 more to somebody than is a POR experience, then go for it. I choose to have a different experience with that $1150.00, that's all.

Thanks for your review of POR. I am sure it has helped a lot of people feel better about their resort choice. You are entitled to your opinion of the Poly. I know what your son means about the theming. Its much different to the value resorts with the Large Disney icons and the Contemporary which is home to Chef Mickey ;) .

We have been staying at deluxe resorts since 1999. I had a business trip in orlando back in january. So, being a Disney addict, I decided to stay at a Disney resort vs. an offsite resort. Can you say boondoggle? Anyway, I couldn't spend much money so I opted for POR - with my annual pass discount I think it was $79. Let me tell you, I too was impressed!! I know your son missed the "theming" a.k.a. MICKEY, but I thought the Southern theme was right on. And, I'm from the South, live in the South, love the South. The resort is charming, and I loved the boat to DTD.

I'm like you, I LOVE deluxe resorts (in fact, the Poly is our fave but I'm not offended by your statement about the Poly and CR...you ARE entitled to your opninion) BUT we're trying trying trying to keep a trip we have booked at POR this May. Get this...$132 a night including tax. Great AP rate. However, we may have work conflicts that will cause us to have to cancel. Finances are slim right now and since I loved POR so much, we decided to give it a go.

Thank you for your post - I'm glad to read that someone went from deluxe to moderate and enjoyed it.

PamNC

Thanks for your report! I am counting the days till we will be there! :cool1: May5- May 12.

Ok, you are making me second guess where we are staying in September. I booked WL,but second choice was POR. We have stayed at POFQ and thought it was just okay. I think we would like PO much better. We know we love WL but there is a fair price difference. Thanks for sharing your impressions of all of the resorts where you have stayed. I enjoy hearing the good and bad of the resorts.

In Jan of 2005 spent 9 nights at the POLY and Sept 2005
my wife and I spent a quick 3 day weekend at POFQ, It was beautiful, We are goign back in Sept for 7 nights with our DD8 and can't wait.

Just my 2 cents, if you don't need to be on the Mono or have to have 2 queen beds the POFQ is a great resort.

If you liked POR, you should love CSR. try epcotfan's site for info
:thumbsup2

http://www.wdwmemories.com/csr/

we stayed in the Cabanas section facing the lake and loved it. We are also DVC ers and stay Fri/Sat nts at the resorts then on to DVC resorts. That way we can experience all the resorts.

Thanks for the report. I am debating between POR and POP for a trip later this year and having stayed at WL--which we LOVED--I can't justify paying over $300/nt for the same room I just paid $150 for. A less expensive room will make this trip more doable, so thanks again, it's helping my decision. The price difference between POP and POR is far less than between POR and WL. :goodvibes

Ok, let me try and explain something here. My original post was not meant in anyway to demean or insult the OP. Nor was I trying to imply that POR was a poor choice or a bad resort. I think both POR and POFQ are beautifull resorts and they would both work for me in a short trip. I don't believe I have ever insulted anyone's choice of what resort they have chosen, in my time on these boards. I'm not a so called resort snob, don't understand that type of thinking and never will.

The reason I wrote my first post in this thread was because I thought I saw something that wasn't quite right. I've seen far too many mean and sometimes down right nasty comments lately on these boards and I called the Op on what I thought wasn't necessary. I probably should have called it a night and not posted anything. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion and I wasn't trying to take that away. I don't care if the OP doesn't like the Poly and that's her right, I wasn't trying to take that away. I thought I saw someone taking cheap shots and trying to incite a 10 page boondoggle of a thread.

I probably read way too much into her post and took it the wrong way. I'm just tired of some members here that constantly take cheap shots at each other and some of the debates around here go from amusing to down right nasty real quick. I shouldn't have said anything and I'm glad that there is one less Poly fan, because that means there will always be more room for me. :teeth:

Sorry if I came across wrong and I hope this explains my postion a little better. Enjoy whatever resort you may choose and have a good trip.

Your trip report was very interesting to me, as we will be going to POR for 7 nights next month with our DS(age 12 also). This will be our second trip to POR. We've also stayed at POFQ. We could afford to stay @ a deluxe, but choose to spend our money elsewhere. I enjoy finding the best value when we travel. Our room rate is $131.75 per night w/AAA. We've stayed much cheaper in the past. In 2002 the rate was around $90. I'd love to try a deluxe one day if the rate is right.

I was glad to hear a good review about mousekeeping. I know the surroundings are beautiful and if the rooms clean all else should be fine.
We enjoy the boat ride to Downtown Disney and plan to use it to get to Disney Quest. We also plan to rent a boat either at POR or Downtown Disney. Did you notice if they offer the family plan for renting boats at POR? We've considered CSR ourselves, but I wonder if we would miss the amenities at POR. :sunny:

Some great info on POR ! I have stayed at POFQ but did not pay much attention to the POR building layout. My family of DW and 2 daughters 4yr and 7 mo. will be going 4-14-06 and wanted to now what building in Alligator Bayou would offer a good view and close prox. to eats and swimming? Building 18 is what my research has come to. What are your opinions? I really appreciate all of the info you can offer , Thanks!!! :cool1:

Thanks ,
George D

thanks for the trip report! we're staying at PO French Quarter in about a month, and I was glad to hear that your bed was comfortable (i'm guessing the 'bed quality' is the same at POR and POFQ). my boyfriend sort of has a bad back, and sometimes a good/bad bed will make all the difference (we just went to las vegas, and stayed somewhere with beds like concrete, and it really hampered our enjoyment of the trip). so, thanks for helping to ease my mind! ;)

sarah

I enjoyed reading the report. I am actually in the process of deciding between Poly and POR for Nov. We've stayed at both - Had the Bayou room at POR and CL lodge at Poly - hard decison - I've been waiting 6 long years for this trip - hubby has thrown his hands in the air and said whatever, but I just can't decide - the only thing I know for sure is I will absolutely have a wonderful time no matter where we stay. thanks again - since it has been awhile - reading posts from people who have stayed at various resorts is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter