Just back from POR & AKL any ?

Scott43449

Earning My Ears
WE just got back this morning, stayed at POR for 2 nights, and AKL for 2 nights. Will write more after some sleep. But if you have any questions, let me know.

Two questions....
1) Boma ???? (views, comments, etc.)
2) Where is the best place to view the most animals if you are NOT staying at AKL?

I'd love to know if you have any suggestions about which rooms to request. I will have a savannah view, but which savannah is best for the quantity and quality of animal sightings?

I'd also like to know how much time we should allow to see the resort itself. I don't usually spend a great deal of time at the resorts, since there is so much to see and do outside of the resorts, but I have heard that there is so much to see and do at AKL. Whay do you think?

And I'm wondering what you thought of the transportation from AKL. I have read alot of conflicting information regarding the length of time it takes to get to and from AKL.

Lastly, I would like to know your opinion of Jiko and Boma.

Thanks so much for volunteering to answer questions. I,ll be at AKL in 2 and a half weeks and can't wait!. I'll be looking forward to reading your reply.

Well, we didn't eat at Jinko, or Boma, this was a cost cutting trip, we ate at Mara 3 times, and the food was good, and the service was also good.
The best place to view the animals with out staying at AKL would have to be Asusha Rock, which is right outside the lobby, or the Sunset Overlook that is just to the left of of the main lobby. There are rocking chairs on the terrace to sit in, and it is all under shade.

As far as room location, there are different types of animals on the different savannahs. We were in rooms 3221 & 3223, which is just off the lobby overlooking Arusha Rock. I would suggest a room on the 2nd or 4th floor & out in the wing farther next time, the traffic in the hall was constant, and it was noisy in the morning and late at night with everyone walking up & down the hall to the lobby.

Bus transportation, we had a van, but the bus stop was always crowded when we went past. It took us about a half hour to get from AKL to Down town Disney, with a van, so I can Immagine how long it would take on the bus. The resort is way out past the AK.

I don't know if this has helped, but if you have more questions, just ask.

Is there a boat that takes you from POR to Downtown Disney?

Also, we would like to stay near a quiet pool & a bus stop. Is such a thing possible? If you aren't sure which buildings- where could I find a good map of the resort?

Thanks!!

nikki

I also just got back from AKL and ate at Boma while my brother ate at Boma and Jiko. We both loved Boma, the food was awesome and for the price we all felt it was the best deal of the trip! There was so much to choose from, my three year old niece ate the Chicken fingers, spaghetti, etc on the kids section of the buffet. The food had great flavor to it and our server was wonderful, very attentive.

My brother and SIL ate at JIko and they thought it was really good but they liked Boma a little bit better. They are both vegetarians so the chef made them a vegetarian plate which they thought was great, but they felt for the money and the food, Boma was better.

I would reccomend AKL to anyone, it is our favorite resort so far, A+ all the way!!!:)

I just posted a new message a few minutes ago regarding this question, but since you are so kind as to answer questions about the POR . . .

Did you use the bus service to and from the parks? If so, how was it? We'll be there next month.

We used the bus at POR 2 times, this trip. Both times to go to the Magic Kingdom. Going and coming, we didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes, and the buses weren't packed, there was no one standing on either trip.

We just got back from POR today and I can say the bus transportation was very good. We stood once (after MK closure), other than that it was very efficient. We never took the boat to DD (which is in service) but talked to a family that did and they said it took over an hour! - You may want to look into this particular option before committing.

As someone who has stayed at AKL 4 times, I'm curious to gleg's question about AKL transportation (and I disagree with Scott's position completely). Where have you heard conflicting resports? AKL has the best bus service in that it is a one hotel, one stop (dedicated service to all parks). This will not change unless another resort is added into the mix (which I doubt since AKL is the only deluxe with no alternative mode of transportation to a least one park). It takes 2 minutes to AK, 5 minutes to MGM, 6-7 minutes to Epcot & perhaps 12 minutes to MK...Seems pretty good to me (for not having to drive!!!).

Animal watching is best done from Aruska Rock where the GREAT African CMs are there to answer questions and just chat about their homeland.
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Captain Cook

Maybe I should have been more specific regarding my question about transportation. I am not as concerned about transportation to the 4 major theme parks because I have read that AKL has a dedicated route to these. I am concerned about visiting any place outside of the theme parks such as Disney Quest, Pleasure Island, the Boardwalk, and Typhoon Lagoon. How is the transportation from AKL to these attractions?

Of all those that you mentioned, only the Boardwalk presents a problem as you must transfer from DD (or a Park)...But busses from AKL & DD are direct, so no problem...

Will be at POR June 21.

Did you notice if any of the buildings have been recently renovated? Would like to stay in non-smoking building near food court. What do you recommend?

One more question - my wife takes medication that needs to be refrigerated. Thinking about buying a foam cooler when we arrive and keep it on ice. Are refrigerators available for the room?

Thanks.

We stayed in building 15 at POR, which was non-smoking, and was just around the corner from the food court. The room was very well kept, and the outside of the buildings looked good, I'm not to sure if any of them have been recently redone. Building 14 is the building closest to the food court, but I'm not sure if it is non-smoking.
Also, you can rent a small frig for $10 per day.

We were in bldg 17 & it was being painted as we were there. The room we had looked very recently refurbished...All in all the resort itself looked in excellent shape...

fox-
I'm not sure if this answers your question but here goes:
When we were trying to budget our meals, we brought a few 9-packs of the mini cereal boxes for our 3 DS's. I purchased a quart of milk but thought that it was silly to rent a frig for $10 day just for a little bit of milk. So, every AM, before leaving for the parks, we stuck the container in the ice cube bucket and filled it as high as we could with ice. (we let this sit in the sink, for any overflow of melted ice) We usually returned late afternoon for naps, bathroom, relaxing, etc. and replenished any ice that had melted. Finally, before bedtime, we would fill it up again. Believe me, that milk STAYED COLD!!!!! Of course, we were fairly close to the ice machine and we would send one of the kids, but this seemed to really work for us. We also brought along 12-packs of soda and bottled water, so we really used alot of ice.

Where is Mara located? Which floor? Are there any rooms nearby?
Thank you.
Lori

Mara is located on the first floor, behind Boma. You have to walk outside under the walk way past the pool in order to get to it.
The rooms over looking the pool are the closest to Mara.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter