Just back from offsite visit- didn't love/didn't hate FP+

MagicRat

Mouseketeer
DISCLAIMER: These are just my OPINIONS based on my experience:

We just returned from a weekend visit with 3 days in the parks. We are 8 year plus DVC members and bought AP's for the first time. However, we were staying offsite this time, and I was extremely concerned about the FP+ system. After 3 days of usage, I am really on the fence about the system.

I was dreading having to do the FP kiosks for times, but as we got there right around park opening for MK and EP on two days, I didn't really encounter any significant waits at the kiosks. For MK, I hustled to the circus tent area, and for EP, I went to the breezeway to the left of SE. That said, I did see a wait at the Theater in MK and a HUGE wait behind SE (which really surprised me since the breezeway was probably less than 100 yards away and nobody knew to go there.) At those times, I was basically able to get any FP that I wanted (although times were a bit limited) but I don't think anything was sold out. And these were HEAVY crowd days on the weekend. Although I didn't stand in them, it seemed like the lines later in the day were hit and miss depending on the location.

I think the limitations need to be adjusted. 3 a day is just too few. I would probably be fine with 5 (but I'm sure I'd then say I could use 7?) Also, you need to be able to park hop. I was somewhat embarrassed on our EP day when we went to the MK in the afternoon (saw the premiere of the new parade)- I went up to a kiosk looking to get some evening FP and had totally forgotten that I had used them at EP in the morning :( Lastly, I didn't like the tiering, especially at EP.

With that said, there were a few things I did like. I have to say that it was a bit more enjoyable not having to run around the parks to pick up FPs throughout the day. Particularly after they started enforcing the return times, I found I was doing a lot of running back and forth. This time, I felt like I was able to actually spend more time with my kids! I can see how someone that NEEDS to ride TT and/or Sorain 3+ times in a day will hate the new system, but I think this may get back somewhat to what the "intent" of Dis was- go enjoy each ride, once, maybe twice. For what it's worth, my kids did comment that this was one of their favorite visits out of probably 20+ times at WDW.

To sum up, I think I will eventually learn to co-exist with the FP+ system and maybe even like it. My next couple of visits will be at DVC onsite, so I won't have quite as much to worry about. For now, it takes some adjustments to our past touring plans.

The system has its good and its bad. My issue is the limitations/tiers and the now longer then usual wait times on attractions that never had a wait.

We had "day of" Fp+ and what I didn't like was you couldn't cancel all 3 Fp+ at a kiosk or with an iPad CM if you decided to do standby lines and save the Fp+ to parkhop or just to release back into the system for other guests. CMs told us we had to go to Guest Relations to cancel all 3. They also weren't sure if our 3 choices could be canceled and then rescheduled at the park to which we hopped without going to Guest Relations.

And, if a guest only wants one or two Fp+, why make them choose a third when it's unnecessary? Why not leave it open in the system for another guest to access?

I guess what I'm trying to say is sort of in line with these replies. My point being that the system does need to be tweaked somewhat, but in my opinion, it doesn't need to be scrapped completely. I think it was a change that ultimately would have needed to happen given the new technology. I certainly don't think it "destroys" WDW or should completely ruin somebody's vacation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is sort of in line with these replies. My point being that the system does need to be tweaked somewhat, but in my opinion, it doesn't need to be scrapped completely. I think it was a change that ultimately would have needed to happen given the new technology. I certainly don't think it "destroys" WDW or should completely ruin somebody's vacation.

I agree that it didn't ruin anything for us. In fact, it enhanced our time by allowing us to do back-to-back rides with no wait in between just by having iPad CMs change our times to "right now!":)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter