• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from Kidani--some random thoughts...

Fargoman2

DIS Veteran
My wife and I and our three children (21, 18, 11) just returned from a 10-night stay at Kidani--1BR Sav view. Our first visit to our "home" resort since joining DVC. Here are some rather random observations--good and otherwise-- for what they are worth:

1. BEAUTIFUL RESORT--We absolutely loved the lay-out and quiet refuge from the hectic pace found everywhere else in WDW. The view was awesome (though I wished we could have landed on a lower floor) and just downright relaxing. Seeing the animals every morning and night was just so much fun--a different treat every time.

2. POOL AREA--Nice and big--plenty of room for everyone. Slide is ok, nothing special. Loved the hot tubs. "Kiddie" area seemed cool.

3. REMOTENESS--Blessing and a curse. It's nice to be away from it all, but as countless others have posted, you are quite a distance from the main attractions. Going to Typhoon Lagoon, for example, is nearly a full hour of time on the bus. But on the up side, buses ran on schedule and it was nice to have the peace and quiet!

4. "SLOPPY" ROOM APPEARANCE--We were more than a little disappointed with the condition of our room upon arrival. The fridge and counter tops were dirty and the floor had not been vacuumed well. And you would expect a fresh, clean smell--which there was not. We called and they rectified quickly, but the point is--it should have been done right in the first place. It definitely tainted our first impression of an otherwise beautiful room and set of amenities.

5. IS THERE A LINEN CRISIS I'M NOT AWARE OF? I had a rather difficult time convincing folks that we needed 5 sets of towels instead of 3, which we were initially told was the "limit" for replacement linens? It eventually got straightened out, but seemed like an odd sequence of hoop jumping we had to do to get it.

6. TWO THUMBS WAY DOWN FOR THE SMOKING AREA: I understand that people have the right to smoke and should have an area to do so, but the location of the smoking site is really poor. Every time we headed to or from the bus stop, we had to walk through smoker's alley and we found that rather unpleasant. I urge management to explore other smoking locations that are not in a direct path to the bus stop. I'm sure I'll get ripped for this, but it really did become a downer for us to go through that every time.

6. BACK TO POINT ONE: Please don't let the above relatively minor annoyances detract from the main point--this is A BEAUTIFUL RESORT TO BEHOLD AND WE LOVED IT!! I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RESORT TO ANYONE. IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN YET, GET READY FOR A GREAT EXPERIENCE!! HAVE FUN!!

My wife and I and our three children (21, 18, 11) just returned from a 10-night stay at Kidani--1BR Sav view. Our first visit to our "home" resort since joining DVC. Here are some rather random observations--good and otherwise-- for what they are worth:

1. BEAUTIFUL RESORT--We absolutely loved the lay-out and quiet refuge from the hectic pace found everywhere else in WDW. The view was awesome (though I wished we could have landed on a lower floor) and just downright relaxing. Seeing the animals every morning and night was just so much fun--a different treat every time.

2. POOL AREA--Nice and big--plenty of room for everyone. Slide is ok, nothing special. Loved the hot tubs. "Kiddie" area seemed cool.

3. REMOTENESS--Blessing and a curse. It's nice to be away from it all, but as countless others have posted, you are quite a distance from the main attractions. Going to Typhoon Lagoon, for example, is nearly a full hour of time on the bus. But on the up side, buses ran on schedule and it was nice to have the peace and quiet!

4. "SLOPPY" ROOM APPEARANCE--We were more than a little disappointed with the condition of our room upon arrival. The fridge and counter tops were dirty and the floor had not been vacuumed well. And you would expect a fresh, clean smell--which there was not. We called and they rectified quickly, but the point is--it should have been done right in the first place. It definitely tainted our first impression of an otherwise beautiful room and set of amenities.

5. IS THERE A LINEN CRISIS I'M NOT AWARE OF? I had a rather difficult time convincing folks that we needed 5 sets of towels instead of 3, which we were initially told was the "limit" for replacement linens? It eventually got straightened out, but seemed like an odd sequence of hoop jumping we had to do to get it.

6. TWO THUMBS WAY DOWN FOR THE SMOKING AREA: I understand that people have the right to smoke and should have an area to do so, but the location of the smoking site is really poor. Every time we headed to or from the bus stop, we had to walk through smoker's alley and we found that rather unpleasant. I urge management to explore other smoking locations that are not in a direct path to the bus stop. I'm sure I'll get ripped for this, but it really did become a downer for us to go through that every time.

6. BACK TO POINT ONE: Please don't let the above relatively minor annoyances detract from the main point--this is A BEAUTIFUL RESORT TO BEHOLD AND WE LOVED IT!! I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RESORT TO ANYONE. IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN YET, GET READY FOR A GREAT EXPERIENCE!! HAVE FUN!!

Glad you enjoyed your stay. I was disappointed with the pool size when we were there last year. It was crowded and I cannot imagine how it will be when the whole resort is declared.

DD loves the community hall there.

Denise in MI

We are huge Kidani fans. We can't wait to stay there again - we are hoping to change our VWL reservation for late May over to Kidani at the 7 month mark. I do agree about the smoking area, and the need for a lower floor. We were on the 5th floor and had a great view of the tops of the trees in the savannah.

We stayed at Kidani three weeks a go for a few days. I concur with the smoking issue. We ended up going to the bus area through the main entrance and cutting across the driveway a bit.

We really enjoyed the quiet and peacefulness. No sound of busses, cars, fireworks, etc. Very relaxing.

We didn't mind the distance from anything .. except when you wanted to go to another resort, but Disney transportation is not convenient to get from resort to resort. This was the first time in quite a while that we did not have a car.

mac_tlc

Glad you had such a nice stay. I agree with your thoughts re smoking area-I think I'll write a letter. We loved the resort-I hope your housekeeping experience was a fluke-we had an immaculate villa during our stay (this was last August) and eight sets of towels for the four of us. We're planning another stay in 2012 (I like to plan ahead!).

Great to hear that you enjoyed it. We're taking our first DVC trip over Labor Day and staying at Kidani- we can't wait! I am worried about the busses though and unfortunately, your experience hasnt put those fears to rest.

I have no idea how you could possibly spend an hour on the bus unless the bus broke down. The furthest on-property travel distance from AKL is the magic kingdom, and that's 16 minutes on the road. Are the typhoon lagoon buses shared in some weird way?

Agree completely on the smoking area; i suggest you email guest satisfaction about this, as I'd really like to see this corrected.

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

Pirate4Ever: don't worry about the buses! AKL has among the best bus service on WDW property since almost all of the routes are direct and not shared with any other resorts. If you survived all-star bus service, you will love AKL bus service.

Pirate4Ever: don't worry about the buses! AKL has among the best bus service on WDW property since almost all of the routes are direct and not shared with any other resorts. If you survived all-star bus service, you will love AKL bus service.

That's good to hear, thanks! :thumbsup2

Thank you for sharing your experience at Kidani. My family and I are going in a month and we are all excited.

I have heard that there is a bee problem at the pool. Did you or anyone else experience this while you were there. My 5 year old daugher and I are deathly afraid of bees and I don't want that to ruin her pool time.

Thank you!

We too had to ask for towels for our family of 4 as we were only given a set up for 3. #6 ugh....poor planing or no planing at all went into that. We normally travel with DSIL and DBIL who both are smokers and even they commented at SSR's smoking area being right next to the entrance to the elevators.

So even on trash and towel day they only gave you towels for 3???? Since you were in a unit that officially sleeps 5, that's just plain stupid! Our Kidani stay was only in a studio with 2 of us, so nothing to compare to that way.

I agree with the smoking area too. We ended up going through the parking garage to avoid it.

Our Kidnai unit was nice and clean, but we have had serious mousekeeping issues at Jambo. I was hoping that Kidani was free of those issues, but it looks like they trained the housekeepers the same at both locations.

Have they recently changed the locations of the smoking areas? We are not smokers and it seemed like they added more locations or moved the smoking locations to very prominent places. I never seemed to notice before. On our last trip, the first week of July, we found ourselves walking through smoking areas quite frequently. Just an observation.

That's one thing I can't stand. Smoking should be more secluded. If I wanted to breathe in smoke, I'd be a smoker.

Also, Vacationing @ WDW w/ smokers is hard...

You waste time finding the smoking areas.

Yuck.

Thank you for sharing your experience at Kidani. My family and I are going in a month and we are all excited.

I have heard that there is a bee problem at the pool. Did you or anyone else experience this while you were there. My 5 year old daugher and I are deathly afraid of bees and I don't want that to ruin her pool time.

Thank you!

I just returned from a stay at Jambo house. There definitely is a bee problem, not only around the pool but on the balconies too. We were credited $75 for not being able to use our balcony due to the bees. We were on the 5 th floor.

Buses were slow during our trip. Seemed like they always stopped at Blizzard beach. I was disappointed in the bus service.

The hallways at Kidani are LOOONG! Twice as long as BWV. I never want to read how long the BWV hallways again!

Buses were slow during our trip. Seemed like they always stopped at Blizzard beach. I was disappointed in the bus service.

I thought only the HS buses stopped at blizzard beach? That's how it always was when we've gone.

We've had love bug issues at jambo, but never bees! Perhaps the bees have chased away the love bugs.

Actually, according to this thread, it seems as if there are just a lot of bees right now at WDW generally:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2524852

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter